Abusing lives

D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Abusing lives

Post by D&B » #417992

Imagine for a moment you enter the syndicate base/golem ship/ et all and in one way or another you engage them in battle. You're a normal station crewmember, more likely than not a miner, and you manage to beat the creature you engaged at first. You're then presented with a sheer red army tactic of unending fresh bodies, possessed by the same person that you killed before, wordlessly running up to your exact location and trying to kill you, even if they had no way of knowing why the fight started or where you are.

How does the administration deal with this issue? Is such blatant abuse of easily producible lives for vengeance allowed?
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: Abusing lives

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #418000

D&B wrote: How does the administration deal with this issue? Is such blatant abuse of easily producible lives for vengeance allowed?
Punished for metagaming. There may be a possible exception however I can't think of one besides spawncamping.
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #418001

wow what a hard thread
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #418016

also repukan you better not be ban evading
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #418027

I'm not
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #418070

The practical answer is admins dont care nor do players most of the time. No one will ever enforce ashliggers going to the place of their dead body to return it to the tendril or golems doing the same to retrieve lost gear. Admins would also have a hard time caring about protecting a miner player who wants to rules lawyer with metagaming rules so they can kill golems, vault podpeople at leisure while they're forced to be naive regarding the murderous miner.

Deal with it. The only time this happens for miners is if there are ashliggers, every other time it happens its because mining decided to find some conflict with roles that were friendly or neutral, or sealed off by lava.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #418094

in one way or another you engage them in battle.
There is metagaming and there is making players miserable while you abuse their forced ignorance. Example:
Miner walks into #ghostrole base and wordlessly starts slaughtering them like he is allowed to. #Ghostrole respawns but he's not allowed to know the miner is hostile because MMUH ARRPEE and depending on the #ghostrole he is also not allowed to initiate hostilities so he peacefully approaches the miner just to be slaughtered again until all the respawns are expended or destroyed by the miner. So much fun
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #418099

Grazyn wrote:
There is metagaming and there is making players miserable while you abuse their forced ignorance. Example:
Miner walks into #ghostrole base and wordlessly starts slaughtering them like he is allowed to. #Ghostrole respawns but he's not allowed to know the miner is hostile because MMUH ARRPEE and depending on the #ghostrole he is also not allowed to initiate hostilities so he peacefully approaches the miner just to be slaughtered again until all the respawns are expended or destroyed by the miner. So much fun
I don't think you should respawn as the same ghostrole in the first place.....
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #418100

CPTANT wrote:
Grazyn wrote:
I don't think you should respawn as the same ghostrole in the first place.....
This is not enforced in the rules and in the code neither, I think we're gonna need a headmin to clarify this. Does this only work if I'm killed by another player? What if I die from other causes, am I not allowed to respawn as the same ghostrole?
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #418105

Lol no one would ever enforce that, it'd have to be a code thing. There would be no point at all to ashlizards if it were, no point in golems making different mineral bodies etc
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #418110

If it's ash lizards I don't see an issue with them respawning to defend the hive. Same with syndicate base.

Golems or pod people gotta suck it up and die, as they have no reason to come to the call of their dying brothers to defend the hive or be awoken by the automated security alarm.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #418119

*every reason to

lavaland magic aint gotta explain shit
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #418135

I meant that there was less of a thing for pod people or golems to fuck about and get revenge.

Remember, fighting your own faction over an IC thing then respawning is a good way to get dunkedghost banned.

Fighting someone on station, taking a ghost role and going after that person is also a good way to get dunkedghost banned.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #418152

Ew. Ghost roles shouldn't get a free pass on meta grudge and metagame. There is a way to enforce it. "Admin is this guy the same ckey? I think he's metagrudging me with ghost roles" "WHY YES HE IS" Bwoink Ban. Easy. I feel the same way about people metagaming the xeno ruin to spawn a alien larva. Yet the response to that is as well, if they don't get the larva metagaming it is a-ok.

TBH the rules on ghost roles should be harder. Why do they allow admins to be so lax on them? They're dead and should have the least amount of interaction with the station possible. Ghost roles exist for them to have something to do, not to be free antag validS mc shitter. Right?
► Show Spoiler
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #418156

ghosts should be banned from respawning from the same source, or maybe just a cooldown
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #418168

Shadowflame909 wrote:Ew. Ghost roles shouldn't get a free pass on meta grudge and metagame. There is a way to enforce it. "Admin is this guy the same ckey? I think he's metagrudging me with ghost roles" "WHY YES HE IS" Bwoink Ban. Easy. I feel the same way about people metagaming the xeno ruin to spawn a alien larva. Yet the response to that is as well, if they don't get the larva metagaming it is a-ok.

TBH the rules on ghost roles should be harder. Why do they allow admins to be so lax on them? They're dead and should have the least amount of interaction with the station possible. Ghost roles exist for them to have something to do, not to be free antag validS mc shitter. Right?
You're seeing that from a player perspective. In reality ghost role bans are applied longer and harder than any other bans.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #418171

Nabski wrote:I meant that there was less of a thing for pod people or golems to fuck about and get revenge.

Remember, fighting your own faction over an IC thing then respawning is a good way to get dunkedghost banned.

Fighting someone on station, taking a ghost role and going after that person is also a good way to get dunkedghost banned.
That's understandable, I was more talking about grazyns point, where it is seems extremely unfair to force a state of ignorance on lavaland roles so miners can slaughter them.
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #418176

If you're going out of your way to constantly attack people with ghost-roles: that's metagruding and metagaming plain and simple. If you happen to be in their base and they throw an unrelenting fury of bodies at you to get you out of their base, I would say they should refrain from doing so since their only knowledge of you being there was gained from a previous life (a little more leeway would be given to ash-lizards than golems due to this inherent hostility.) If you believe this is happening to you: I would advise you to ahelp. It's not very actionable but if you get the suspicion more than once: feel free to ahelp and that person may get a note.

It may be a coding issue as well but we deal with what we have. A ghost-role timer would be preferable in this circumstance (but doesn't exist at the moment as far as I'm aware.)