Nuclear Operatives: How they look

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Nuclear Operatives: How they look

Post by Steelpoint » #40450

As the Nuke Ops meta strategy has evolved over the course of several large scale changes to the game over several months, such as the speed reduction and its effect on movement. The standard approach in game as a op is to only use your Syndicate RIG in space and to swap out to use your Helmet/Armour on station for the speed boost. While this offers slightly less overall protection you do not hinder your movement thus being easier to avoid or kill.

This thread is not aimed at these code changes, I am talking about the visual appearance of the Nuke Ops with and without their armour.

The standard syndi RIG suit is a very iconic appearance that even new players can quickly identify as being a "bad guy". However considering that it is uncommon for a operative to wear their RIG on station, most ops now use their armour/helmet on station which presents a different look.

The question I put forward, is the visual style of the operative on the left a style we are fine with? Does it easily show off that this guy is a nuke operative? Is it what we want our operatives to look like?
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Re: Nuclear Operatives: How they look

Post by miggles » #40459

no. i think the op RIG is one of the most iconic images in SS13, and that they should become more useful again so that wearing them indoors is more viable.
i would argue that a suit of armor designed for breaching spacecraft would probably be lightweight enough to run around in.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #40460

miggles wrote:no. i think the op RIG is one of the most iconic images in SS13, and that they should become more useful again so that wearing them indoors is more viable.
i would argue that a suit of armor designed for breaching spacecraft would probably be lightweight enough to run around in.
If that is to be the case then we would have to remove the slow down effect on the Syndi RIG.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #40475

The suits (and the jetpack) fit into your backpack, you are supposed to put them away (and swap to armor) indoors.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #40476

If we are going to examine this from a historical perspective. Before the speed alteration Nuke Ops would almost always use their RIG suits on station, the only real decision making on the suit was whether to wear the SWAT helmet (For more protection) or the RIG helmet (For flashbang protection) which ultimately came down to personal preference, however people generally leaned towards flashbang immunity. Both helmets can be used in space as well.

With the introduction of the speed alteration, the meta took a while to adapt. After several months the consensus was that "speed > protection" and that the better protection of the RIG suit could not match the speed boost of wearing your armour, hence why now the meta is to almost always take off your RIG on station and stash it in your backpack/hide it.

Personally I do admit I much prefer the iconic look of the syndi RIG suit, but under the current meta you'll very rarely see it on station. Hence why I wanted to see how people felt about the Armour/Helm apperance of Nuke Ops. I feel its lacking however.
Zelacks
Byond Username: Zelacks

Post by Zelacks » #40527

I think its completely fine, I love the style of OPERATING BLACK. Raiding the maintenance in the left get up is so cool.
I think the ops are slightly less noticeable as the bad guy in the left picture, as I have been caught off guard identifying the enemy when they are in the left set up, though I am pretty sure it is just a moment difference of realization.
But at the same time, I still think that is absolutely fine. The colour scheme and silhouette of the left set up, while clearly not as iconic as the right, is still different enough from all the other roles.

Also probably relevant, It is probably sound to transfer from loud red and obvious rig suits to black and dark gear, especially with the night vision googles to raid the station. (This is completed opiniated, and just based on theme and probably taste)

I think the only concern is that in "marketting" the game, the redsuits are the iconic name to give to the operatives. It might be a big deal, but I think the fact that the suits are still used to get on the station is enough to fulfill that vision.

(PROBABLY OFF TOPIC) Not to mention there are benefits to retaining the space gear, you can zone a lot of the crew by exposing the station to space via bombs, which gives you a mobility advantage as well as controlling who can get near you (right?). This being the case (and perhaps people who are not as aware about the game), there is a still a suitable amount of people that opt to go "redsuits" fully over the black/red set up on the left.
"A game about running around and getting in fights. Then you complain to the admins to get the other guy banned. There's also a space station or something"
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #40533

I think the tactical outfit and armor is fine, but the helmet doesn't fit at all, I prefer the old helmets, but yeah, they're all gone, that old SWAT helmet looked boss though

Maybe a resprite of the syndie helmet is in order
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #40981

The shoes look pretty out of place, actually. They could use jackboots or something. Other than that, I think they look pretty distinctly "bad guy.

One other thing we could look at is a unique armor to go with their unique helmet.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #40984

Unique armor and shoes definitely needed.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #40985

While it would be easy to give them access to jackboots, don't forget that many Ops will buy no-slips which are simply brown shoes.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #40986

No-slip jackboots, plz add
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

miggles

Post by miggles » #40988

should noslips be free for syndies?
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #40991

miggles wrote:should noslips be free for syndies?
Personally, I wouldn't take away the clown's ability to save the station and be the hero for once.
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #40994

Nuke Op design is based on population-scaling-TC, they should only get the bare minimum of equipment for free.

It'd be really easy to swap out brown noslips for jackboot-style noslips.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #40995

Speaking of that, was the nuke ops TC scaling ever increased when the TC cost of everything was doubled?
Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #40997

Steelpoint wrote:Speaking of that, was the nuke ops TC scaling ever increased when the TC cost of everything was doubled?
Yeah, the scaling modifier was raised proportionally.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #41001

The turtleneck, gloves, swat helmet, and gas mask look is just as iconic to me as the blood red hardsuit. The only real problem I see here is the fact that they spawn with black sneakers instead of jackboots. Not sure why that is, or why nobody has ever bothered to change it. Also the syndie hardsuit will likely have its useless flashlights replaced with a function that allows you to toggle combat/spacewalk mode.

Combat mode on the hardsuit will mean you don't have slowdown but you also don't have a pressure sealed hardsuit. Spacewalk mode seals your hardsuit but obstructs your movement like any other hardsuit.
And for the helmet, combat mode would mean your glowing visor is turned off and folded back so you can hide in the dark with your NVGs but you're vulnerable to flashbangs. Spacewalk mode would have your visor eyeslits glowing at all times for balance.

This sound good? It'd basically replace the need to change clothes once on station entirely.
Last edited by paprika on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
miggles

Post by miggles » #41002

because syndies are stylish as fuck

heres another nuke ops question: should the C20r stun borgs?
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #41004

Fuck no. Also I edited my other post.
Last edited by paprika on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41005

miggles wrote:because syndies are stylish as fuck

heres another nuke ops question: should the C20r stun borgs?
No that would be terrible.
miggles

Post by miggles » #41006

why?
miggles

Post by miggles » #41008

paprika wrote:The turtleneck, gloves, swat helmet, and gas mask look is just as iconic to me as the blood red hardsuit. The only real problem I see here is the fact that they spawn with black sneakers instead of jackboots. Not sure why that is, or why nobody has ever bothered to change it. Also the syndie hardsuit will likely have its useless flashlights replaced with a function that allows you to toggle combat/spacewalk mode.

Combat mode on the hardsuit will mean you don't have slowdown but you also don't have a pressure sealed hardsuit. Spacewalk mode seals your hardsuit but obstructs your movement like any other hardsuit.
And for the helmet, combat mode would mean your glowing visor is turned off and folded back so you can hide in the dark with your NVGs but you're vulnerable to flashbangs. Spacewalk mode would have your visor eyeslits glowing at all times for balance.

This sound good? It'd basically replace the need to change clothes once on station entirely.
fuck yes this is a great idea good job
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41011

miggles wrote:why?
Ops already have 2 ranged AOE borg stuns and any op team with a borg has a third borg stun and has already wedgied the AI leading the station borgs. Ops don't need more tools to shit on borgs.
miggles

Post by miggles » #41013

2 stuns? i thought there was just the ion rifle. unless you mean EMP grenades
also, borgs have all the tools to shit on ops just fine, and i dont think that should be the case
a borg can rush an op with an e-shield and a firearm and just stunbaton him and cuff him and boom hes dead. unless youre the guy with the ion rifle or you can run away there isnt much you can do
on the inverse, the op team should be the ones steamrolling everyone. which, usually, they do, but if an op without any sort of EMP gets caught out by a secborg there is really very little he can do
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41014

miggles wrote:2 stuns? i thought there was just the ion rifle. unless you mean EMP grenades
also, borgs have all the tools to shit on ops just fine, and i dont think that should be the case
a borg can rush an op with an e-shield and a firearm and just stunbaton him and cuff him and boom hes dead. unless youre the guy with the ion rifle or you can run away there isnt much you can do
on the inverse, the op team should be the ones steamrolling everyone. which, usually, they do, but if an op without any sort of EMP gets caught out by a secborg there is really very little he can do
You reminded me of a 4th. So that means we've got EMP, Ion Rifle, Flashbangs, and syndieborg. And this is all assuming the ops didn't subvert the AI though too many op teams just skip to killing the AI instead. And even then NONE OF THIS HAS TO DO WITH OP CLOTHING MIGGLES GEEZ
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #41022

I'll put dual mode hardsuit on the list for december 4th. It'd be pretty easy to do, if someone made some sprite edits for me later.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #41319

It doesn't really make much IC sense having the ligh 'fixed on' when in space mode though, since space itself is magically illuminated, and nvg's always work anyway so, I unno.

Also remove the current syndie helmet sprite, it's literally a bicycle helmet, it looks so derpy. The swat helmet looks good, and is more tacticool.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #41320

It looks more like a russian tank helmet to me

Also >not operating with bicycle helmets
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41328

paprika wrote:It looks more like a russian tank helmet to me

Also >not operating with bicycle helmets
Spoiler:
Clearly we're missing out on armored baseball caps.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #41335

Special operations helmets in the armoury please, so I can look taticool
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #41826

Removing move around deduction for rig suit is retarded as fuck. Get good at breaking grav gen scrubs
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #41887

That makes you move slower than normal now
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #41948

I want the stupid sexy nukeops spacesuits back.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Kuraudo
Byond Username: Arumashi

Post by Kuraudo » #42195

Best nuke ops suit:

"He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are brigged."