Minor Feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
MercuryArrow
Byond Username: MercuryArrow

Re: Minor Feedback

Post by MercuryArrow » #415536

Bottom post of the previous page:

Anonmare wrote:Give me a number and I'll alter the force damage
I dunno, the standard 18-20 range seems fine if it's going to keep its current effects - still keeps it on the high end for null rod variants without being the best weapon on the station. Lower would be too drastic a change since it can't block, higher and it's too competitive with two-handers like the crafted fullsize chainsaw and fire axe.
oranges wrote:when you code it
This is a meme response for major changes and it's still a meme response for fixing simple and glaring balance issues. :D
Melinoë Parker, local anaemic mutant.
Deirdre Caidh, bartender, bluespace hobbyist, occasional serial killer.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #415560

MercuryArrow wrote:
I dunno, the standard 18-20 range seems fine if it's going to keep its current effects - still keeps it on the high end for null rod variants without being the best weapon on the station. Lower would be too drastic a change since it can't block, higher and it's too competitive with two-handers like the crafted fullsize chainsaw and fire axe.
This is a meme response for major changes and it's still a meme response for fixing simple and glaring balance issues. :D
It's a "meme response" because it's true. If you care about your proposed change and the maintainers will think it's a good idea, code it and it'll probably get merged. Chances are, no one else cares about it enough to do anything, especially with something as small as a null rod variant being a bit op.
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #416868

Not sure if it deserves a thread but the new Experimenter merge is giving people cloned traitor PDAs (someone spent +180 TC) and all manner of traitor loot, including ops gear (shielded hardsuits). I just died to an ebow on a rev round.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #416918

Anuv wrote:Not sure if it deserves a thread but the new Experimenter merge is giving people cloned traitor PDAs (someone spent +180 TC) and all manner of traitor loot, including ops gear (shielded hardsuits). I just died to an ebow on a rev round.
The stupidly op ones were disabled, it should fix when the server updates
MercuryArrow

Post by MercuryArrow » #417711

somerandomguy wrote:
MercuryArrow wrote:
It's a "meme response" because it's true. If you care about your proposed change and the maintainers will think it's a good idea, code it and it'll probably get merged. Chances are, no one else cares about it enough to do anything, especially with something as small as a null rod variant being a bit op.
No, it's a meme response because expecting random players with no direct connection to the project to do the jobs of people who actively volunteered would be completely ridiculous if done by any other kind of admin or contributor, yet coders and maintainers get away with it constantly - pushing the responsibility onto people with no knowledge of github with a snarky response is just an easy way of getting out of having to actually do anything. Even if it *were* reasonable, it's a recipe for balance issues, power creep and bloated features in the long run.
I'll start accepting it as a valid response when adminhelps start getting answered with "when you ban him".

In other minor bullshit not worth a thread - quirks screen still using a mix of both 'quirk' and 'trait' for terminology. Not sure if that's intended or just a minor oversight, but it's also worth mentioning while I'm at it here.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #417715

MercuryArrow wrote:
somerandomguy wrote:
MercuryArrow wrote:
No, it's a meme response because expecting random players with no direct connection to the project to do the jobs of people who actively volunteered would be completely ridiculous if done by any other kind of admin or contributor, yet coders and maintainers get away with it constantly - pushing the responsibility onto people with no knowledge of github with a snarky response is just an easy way of getting out of having to actually do anything. Even if it *were* reasonable, it's a recipe for balance issues, power creep and bloated features in the long run.
I'll start accepting it as a valid response when adminhelps starting get answered with "when you ban him".

In other minor bullshit not worth a thread - quirks screen still using a mix of both 'quirk' and 'trait' for terminology. Not sure if that's intended or just a minor oversight, but it's also worth mentioning while I'm at it here.
>implying you need to be a maintainer to code like you need to be an admin to do admin things
MercuryArrow

Post by MercuryArrow » #417722

Course not, but if you can't see the absurdity of that as a universal response, especially in places like the minor feedback thread specifically intended for pointing this kind of thing out.... well...
At least I can chop down doors.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #417723

MercuryArrow wrote:Course not, but if you can't see the absurdity of that as a universal response, especially in places like the minor feedback thread specifically intended for pointing this kind of thing out.... well...
At least I can chop down doors.
It would be different if, say, someone had just finished coding null rods and wanted balance feedback
Anuv

Post by Anuv » #420077

AI on Lavaland cannot have laws changed, yet can control station safely. Cannot be hacked for law changes even with a hacked module. Intended?
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #420080

You need to be on the same z-level to alter an AI's laws.

It's supposed to stop you from having an off-z-level AI Upload. Same with the comms console
factoryman942
Byond Username: Factoryman942

Post by factoryman942 » #420082

what you can do is go to lavaland and build a console there
Anuv

Post by Anuv » #420083

Then the AI shouldn't be able to control the station from another z-level.
Anuv

Post by Anuv » #424931

You can't set a custom location for the ops shuttle anymore. Gives some error message in chat about not synched up or something.

e: Warning: Shuttle connection severed!
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #425332

MercuryArrow wrote:
somerandomguy wrote:
MercuryArrow wrote:
I'll start accepting it as a valid response when adminhelps start getting answered with "when you ban him".
The only volunteers involved in the codebase are maintainers and they only volunteered to balance and review pr's that people made, they sure as shit didn't volunteer to implement every little change you or every other player out there thinks should be done. Coders show up at will and work on only what they want, we have no control over that.

The only valid response to someone asking for something to be done is literally "when you code it", every other person involved in the project has absolutely zero reason to do it for you and the people with the maintainer bit are only volunteering to make sure other peoples code meets standards and wont' completely fuck up the server if merged.

So tell me again why my response isn't valid
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #425338

The Kinetic crushers light isnt toggleable and burns shadow people. W e i r d.
► Show Spoiler
Anuv

Post by Anuv » #427778

Just found a probable bug - if you drag-open a container to yourself (like a toolbelt, in my instance) and it's stripped from you, you can still access it and take items out/put items in even when it's put inside a locked locker next to you. I was able to break out of a brig cell in a few seconds this way.
charmisokay
Byond Username: Charmisokay

Post by charmisokay » #428888

I think it is too easy to print AI upload console boards.
If the information on the wiki guide is correct, it seems like you can print these boards at all department techfabs given the proper research has been researched. One AI upload board costs 1000 glass and 20 acid. There's already a spare board on the station in the technological storage.
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #428948

charmisokay wrote:I think it is too easy to print AI upload console boards.
If the information on the wiki guide is correct, it seems like you can print these boards at all department techfabs given the proper research has been researched. One AI upload board costs 1000 glass and 20 acid. There's already a spare board on the station in the technological storage.
The acid requirement has been removed, but the upload board is now available to the science and engineering departments only.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #429021

Can the engie techfab/circuit printer still print AI modules? If so, remind me to change that. AI maintenance is Sci's domain
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay » #429078

SpaceManiac wrote:The acid requirement has been removed, but the upload board is now available to the science and engineering departments only.
That is much better. I still think it should be limited more. Maybe increase the cost so it's not just glass, at least.

One of the only things an asimov AI has control over right now is access to its minisat and the AI upload. Gaining access to the AI upload is perhaps the most intriguing and conflict ridden parts of the AI-human relationship, and a very fun gameplay dynamic. (Maybe second to gaining access to the AI core, but that is a much more rare occurance).
It kinda defeats the purpose of having a secure AI upload area if you can so easily pump in a handful of minutes worth of research and then poop out an AI console. Especially given the already existing console board in the secure technological storage. A lot of people have access to RnD or is given access after simply asking. Even if you can't get access to RnD it's not a very well secured room unless the shutters are down
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #429104

The idea behind this is that an upload board is utterly useless without the (reasonably expensive) law modules.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay » #429135

DemonFiren wrote:The idea behind this is that an upload board is utterly useless without the (reasonably expensive) law modules.
Was the cost changed? Following the wiki guide, a single gold ingot is enough to print 20 freeform boards. You pretty much only need 1 freeform board and an upload console. (I know you need gold for a lot of other technology, but it's a resource that is relatively easy to get if you have miners, or even if a scientist goes down there for 5 minutes. Not to mention that you can get what, 3 ingots from the vault?)

Even from the traitors point of view, subverting the AI is not nearly as attractive when pretty much every round has somebody changing laws from their own personal console (and usually there will somebody opposing them by resetting the AI's laws from another console). And it's a massive disappointment for those who go through the AI upload area to upload a law, good or bad, when it's so easy to undo. Having an AI upload area is almost just bait for those who don't know how easy it is to make a new upload console.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #429155

Can you print law modules from non-Science printers?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
charmisokay

Post by charmisokay » #429271

Unless that was changed, I believe AI modules are science-only. But again, RnD is one of the easiest places to gain access to. There's a lot of scientists and miners with access at roundstart, and people will often let you into RnD if you ask.
Even if they don't, you typically just have to break a window-door to get in. Even if the scientists lower the shutters, some maps have a maintenance door that leads straight to RnD in addition to the main science entrance. And RnD has a disposals bin for an easy escape afterwards.

Here's some anecdotal evidence. I'm not sure if this trend will change in the future, for the better or the worse, but it has been far less enjoyable to play AI recently because laws are usually more short lived and more meme-y, and impossible to prevent.
Out of the last five-ish rounds I've played AI, somebody has changed my laws from a printed console in three of those rounds (and somebody reset me from a printed console in three of those rounds). Nobody ever goes for the secure tech storage anymore, which would at least leave some evidence behind for others to follow.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #429343

AI Module costs are a bit of a joke to be perfectly frank. A OneHuman module only costs "100 diamond" and one sheet of diamond yields 2000 in material amount.

AI Uploads don't even have any special material costs, hell, the weapon recharger is harder to make - at least that needs gold to manufacture

Actually, I'll go edit the values now, this is gonna bug me if leave it
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #429349

inb4 pr gets shot down

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #432689

The pirate ship cutter vault is far too small now and it makes putting things like the beer kegs in a massive hassle.

Also the cutter still doesn't have any healing items for the pirate crew, as skeletons they do not process reagents and can only be healed by either: Magic, Milk or Mediguns.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #432799

We play the game for fun.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #432804

Anonmare wrote:The pirate ship cutter vault is far too small now and it makes putting things like the beer kegs in a massive hassle.

Also the cutter still doesn't have any healing items for the pirate crew, as skeletons they do not process reagents and can only be healed by either: Magic, Milk or Mediguns.
Vault size can be expanded if someone gets rid of the suit storage units (they're skeletons, they don't need space suits), the food and the bathroom. Looks like they also only have 2 jetpacks for 3 crewmembers.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #432816

Cargo Bounties are awesome.

As both botanist and virologist I love when someone gives me a request.

I'd bet it's the same for bartender, but I never play that.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #432825

I need six chicken nuggs, three rice bolws and four pancakes Chef!

The fuck does Virologist do though? How much does herpes pay?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #432834

The viro ones are typically "I need a virus with exactly this stat", and it's typically a pretty high number.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #436348

Rod's still an overpowered spell tbh and way underpriced considering it's jaunt + Fireball + Knock all in one. Why even get those spells when Rod does it all?
Anuv

Post by Anuv » #439708

Raven Battlecruiser appears to be unemaggable and cost me a successful hijack, please fix ASAP.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #439991

The library scanner control interface can't be relocated, and it's not possible to build a new one as far as I'm aware.
► Show Spoiler
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #450091

Mining Cyborg PKA's have a max calibration of 80. It would be nice if they could be boosted to 100, like the standard human one. Mining borgs did not get swapped over from the diamond mining drill to the jackhammer when the drill/jackhammer power swap happened either.

Second mining gripe: The Ripley plasma cutter was nerfed to 1/4 its power, but there are no other weapons it can use. It is still a stellar miner, but takes much longer to kill mining mobs now. I would be great if it had a heavy PKA (mech PKA with more calibration) or something like that to replace it.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #452758

Gun Hog wrote:Mining Cyborg PKA's have a max calibration of 80. It would be nice if they could be boosted to 100, like the standard human one. Mining borgs did not get swapped over from the diamond mining drill to the jackhammer when the drill/jackhammer power swap happened either.

Second mining gripe: The Ripley plasma cutter was nerfed to 1/4 its power, but there are no other weapons it can use. It is still a stellar miner, but takes much longer to kill mining mobs now. I would be great if it had a heavy PKA (mech PKA with more calibration) or something like that to replace it.
I would rather just have the mech plasma cutter un-nerfed. It is a plasma cutter the size of a person, it can do decent damage.
Anuv

Post by Anuv » #462229

Remove Nuka Cola's speed boost. A lot of people are now using it for the free adrenals speed. Saw some sec using it to rapidly zoom through the station in search of valids.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #462481

Remember the iso Fallouts, when Nuka-Cola was addictive?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #465745

Remove the sleep function on the abudctor's baton, and replace it with the radio silencer device. As it is now, there's no reason to use the radio silencer over the sleep, and you have to take an extra few seconds to pull the silencer out.
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #465749

Radio silencer is long-range, though, isn't it.

Anyway. When was the safe loot changed to be so fucking disappointing?

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #467059

Has anyone seen the "trance" brain trauma do anything interesting? it's just dumb. Hypno flash is really finicky but that's a whole other story.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #467061

Trance being interesting is heavily based on radio chatter
It's also pretty rare afaik so you won't see it much
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #468889

Is it just me or are the new shoe sprites nasty and they feel really outta place? Call me an oldfag whining about change but the shoes look so weird now
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #468892

99% of new sprites are nasty and out of place
0% of new sprites will be reverted

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #469031

confused rock wrote:Is it just me or are the new shoe sprites nasty and they feel really outta place? Call me an oldfag whining about change but the shoes look so weird now
i agree, they clash super hard with all the other clothing sprites
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #469033

It's probably because I only started playing in 2018, but I rather like the new shoe sprites.
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #469084

well that's how sprites go, they're ugly until all the people who liked the old ones are gone.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #469087

oranges wrote:well that's how sprites go, they're ugly until all the people who liked the old ones are gone.
It's not even that i prefer the old ones, i actually wanted the new shoe sprites when i saw the PR, but seeing them juxtaposed against the other clothing sprites when actually playing in game is really really weird. They don't fit at all
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #469135

They don't really fit with the rest of the sprites, most noticeable is how they have very marked black outlines, while most of the sprites have soft edges

I don't know if I would even call it an improvement, they're just a different style except now they clash with everything else
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #469137

somerandomguy wrote:Trance being interesting is heavily based on radio chatter
It's also pretty rare afaik so you won't see it much
I got trance once, The request was some random phrase like "She needs to be robusted"

I didn't know how to interpret that.
► Show Spoiler