All of SS13 lore explained (spoiler, everyone is wrong but me)

General SS13 Chat
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

All of SS13 lore explained (spoiler, everyone is wrong but me)

Post by Stickymayhem » #418856

First of all

MAGIC ISN'T REAL
GHOSTS AREN'T REAL
SOULS AREN'T REAL

Hurr durr but sticky when I die I become a ghost how can ghosts not be real
Listen up you fucking idiot while I explain. First, some facts:

FACT: You exist across multiple rounds even if you die. It is therefore well-established that you are backed up on Centcom and are sent out to stations.
FACT: These back-ups can be used on station in cloners, using scans. These scans contain your mind, and your mind is your 'soul'.

When you are backed up (I.E, on centcom or dead in round) your meatbrain has been digitized. Anyone who knows anything about superintelligence knows that computers are faster than meatbrains. This means that a fully uploaded human mind would work far quicker than a regular one, and their perception of reality would be different, operating on a totally different level to regular humans. But what happens if you put this back into a meatbrain?

FACT: You are not allowed to discuss OOC concepts in game because your character doesn't understand them. Information learned in deadchat can't be used when you revive. But you still exist, you're still some kind of entity in this universe because you can be moved into various bodies and shit. Clearly the "ghost" is an actual existing entity in this universe.
yeah fuckstick ghosts are ghosts humans have souls in ss13
WRONG you fucking idiot. Here is the real truth: When you are uploaded to whatever collective system holds all of the digitized brains, you become part of a collective so advanced and inconceivable that they can operate on an abstract layer that cannot be understood by stupid meatbrains. When you are dead, you are part of this collective and can understand ooc concepts, you are practically omniscient and you can communicate with all the other digitized consciousnesses. But, when you are re-uploaded to your meatbrain, you can't handle all this crazy shit, it's just not possible to process this perspective, so you lose it every time you're back in your body.
sticky you drunk idiot the scrying orb what about the scrying orb
Holy shit you are thick aren't you. The scrying orb is a ball of sparkly something. The fuck is that? Well retard it's an interfacing device, allowing you to upload your consciousness to it temporarily to interact with the digitized collective. For something supposedly magical it sure looks all electrical and technological doesn't it? You interact with the collective, freed from the slower meatbrain, BUT you can only retain information on our level of understanding when you return. You aren't allowed to OOC in IC about admin abuse just because deadchat whined about it, because that is a metalayer on the universe you cannot comprehend when you're a screaming tube of meat instead of a digitized consciousness.
but the wizards are magic
Arthur C Clarke said "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Are you smarter than him? No you aren't you stupid fucking idiot walk out a window. Wizards just use a different form of magic. Their shuttle is full of advanced tech. They just use energy manipulation not understood by the regular humans yet.
what about cultists using blood and shit to summon a MAGIC GOD
shut up. quantum entanglement means information can travel faster than the speed of light. this is probably how in universe teleportation works and would work in our universe anyway. Nar Sie is an outer god, not magical, just super powerful. Likely his followers have one half of quantumly entangled particles and it takes a certain energy level and commitment to use that to communicate a location and provide the energy threshold for nar sie to teleport to our station, or pass into our dimension. You think all those mirror shields and shit are just magic? What the fuck is magic mate that's just advanced tech you can't comprehend. Look at what nar-sie does. Turns everyone into harvesters right? That seems more like rogue nanotech if anything else.
you're insane
No I'm fucking right

GHOSTS ARE DIGITIZED CONSCIOUSNESSES BENEFITING FROM THE ABSTRACTED LAYER OF A COLLECTIVE DIGITAL REALITY
THESE CONSCIOUSNESSES ARE VALUABLE TO VARIOUS FACTIONS FOR USE AS AI IN BORGS, CONSTRUCTS, WHATEVER
THIS IS THE IN-UNIVERSE EXPLANATION FOR WHY IC AND OOC ARE A THING
MAGIC IS JUST TECHNOLOGY YOU DUMB FUCK
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: All of SS13 lore explained (spoiler, everyone is wrong but me)

Post by Arianya » #418857

okay but what about skeletons
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #418859

i prefer jazaens explanation
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #418860

stopped reading at >When you are backed up (I.E, on cent-

No. It's just bad lore to say every single day, round, hour, shift, whatever you want to call heralds a catastrophic attack that destroys the station. the chad thinking is that this is a snapshot of an attack and days before it have been completely uneventful.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #418862

Armhulen wrote:stopped reading at >When you are backed up (I.E, on cent-

No. It's just bad lore to say every single day, round, hour, shift, whatever you want to call heralds a catastrophic attack that destroys the station. the chad thinking is that this is a snapshot of an attack and days before it have been completely uneventful.
I AM AWARE OF THIS BUT IT DOES NOTHING TO DISPROVE MY FACTS
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #418863

Arianya wrote:okay but what about skeletons
shit
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #418864

Arianya wrote:okay but what about skeletons
NANOMACHINES, SON.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #418867

Stickymayhem wrote:
MAGIC ISN'T REAL
GHOSTS AREN'T REAL
SOULS AREN'T REAL

Stopped reading here. Cultists can astral project and talk to ghosts, nevermind all the wizard shit that utilizes them or makes them visible.
Armhulen wrote:stopped reading at >When you are backed up (I.E, on cent-
Agree that centcom backups is garbage lore that lowers the stakes of every round to absolutely 0.

"lol remember that time an eldritch god forced its way into our dimension and ate all our souls good thing we were backed up"
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #418870

continue reading then because I explained it later.
follow my logic here

DEADCHAT CAN TALK ABOUT ADMINS AND GRIFF AND OOC CONCEPTS ALL DAY WITHOUT REPURCUSSION, DEADCHAT IS EFFECTIVELY OOC

BUT WIZARD CAN INTERACT WITH DEADCHAT, MAKING ALL THIS OOC STUFF SOMEHOW IN-UNIVERSE

THE SOUL EXPLANATION DOESN'T COVER THIS, HOW DO WE RECONCILE THIS?

Deadchat is another plane of understanding only achievable with the superintelligence of a simulated consciousness operating on an abstracted level of perception not possible on slow small meatbrains.

This explains why wizards can interact with deadchat, they can understand and remember IC concepts like where their target is, but they cannot OOC in IC. The in-universe explanation for this practical rule is that they forget these weird OOC details because they can't understand this alternative perception.

The scrying orb just digitizes your consciousness temporarily. This is why you become a ghost yourself and your body is left vacant. Cultists use a similar process.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #418871

centcom backups is not garbage lore.

the most reasonable interpretation of the game is that there are many rounds of no activity between disasters, but disasters do happen. often stations are destroyed, and you have to be restored from a central database. this is the database you exist on and experience while you are dead, with your virtual omniscience thanks to the greater processing power of your simulation.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #418874

ooc stuff isnt meant to be explained
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Post by pubby » #418881

maybe its like that movie moon

did anyone see moon
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #418882

leibniz wrote:ooc stuff isnt meant to be explained
THEN WHY DOES IT EXIST IN DEADCHAT IF DEADCHAT CAN BE INTERACTED WITH
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #418887

nice op looking to get a publishing deal? maybe slow your roll shake spear this is a foram not a book storr
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #418889

snap
gum disease
Byond Username: GUM DISEASE

Post by gum disease » #418892

This is too deep for a brainlet like me.

Working on the station is being in purgatory or limbo. We're all dead inside working for Nanotrasen anyways.
Image no aim, smooth brain, i'm a borg main.
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #418900

my favorite wizard feature is that the scrying orb lets you talk to deadchat
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #418901

Armhulen wrote:the chad thinking is that this is a snapshot of an attack and days before it have been completely uneventful.
>chad
>thinking
>implying the filthy breeders that turned 4chinks into plebbit can htink
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #418906

Everything strange on board the station is swamp gas
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #418914

Even Neekothing has better lore

*SNAP*
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #418947

You forgot about something pretty important that throws a HUGE wrench into the works: Hellbound.

Hellbound people can't be cloned. Ever. If people are restored by a cloned on centcom, hellbound people would NEVER be in another round, and because it affects the person's soul, being scanned beforehand doesn't matter.

Also how do ghostrole spawners work and 1st law of thermodynamics means staffs can't generate energy
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #418962

• My lore:
  • There is only one Space Station 13.
  • The Many Worlds interpretation is correct.
  • Magic and bluespace manipulation is one and the same, the Wizards Federation somehow can manipulate bluespace intrinsically without tool-assistance to extraordinary effect - Nanotrasen is extremely interested in how they accomplish this but have failed to replicate these abilities to the same extent the Wizards have.
  • Souls are real but cannot be proven to exist.
  • Nanotrasen has the technology to detect the presence of a self-aware consciousness but that is as much as they know, they do not know conclusively it is a soul or not but for simplicity's sake it is called referred to as a soul.
  • Nar'Sie and Ratvar (RIP) are Bluespace entities with megalomania but possess a great deal of power that may as well be godlike.
  • Cultist magic is the result of Cultists allowing a smidgen of their God's power to slip through reality and the manifestation of their magic comes from their God, not them.
  • Ghosts exist in a layer of dimension between the material world and bluespace, hereby dubbed the astral plane. On the astral plane, the barriers between reality and bluespace are thin and malleable, allowing access to knowledge not otherwise attainable - OOC is a result of ghosts acquiring knowledge from the hazy line between the astral and bluespace and learning from the many other worlds, including ones where Space Station 13 is not a real location and is just a game on a shitty platform. This explains OOC knowledge.
  • Ghosts may either re-enter their cloned bodies (due to it still being 'their' body on a quantum level), or, rejoin the karmic cycle and are reborn as other people with no memories of their previous life and re-experience life up until the moment of their previous death. Or possibly even eventually fade into other worlds and can have their consciousness supplanted into other versions of themselves where they are alive. The former consciousness that previously presided in that body is kicked out into bluespace to be consumed by the entities there. This explains why characters can refer to events that never happened IC, due to the infinite number of worlds - it should be no surprise that this can result in multiple consciousnesses slipping into the same world with knowledge of the same events that never happened.
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #418965

lore:
HELP GUYS WE'RE TRAPPED IN A SI-
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #418992

somerandomguy wrote:You forgot about something pretty important that throws a HUGE wrench into the works: Hellbound.

Hellbound people can't be cloned. Ever. If people are restored by a cloned on centcom, hellbound people would NEVER be in another round, and because it affects the person's soul, being scanned beforehand doesn't matter.

Also how do ghostrole spawners work and 1st law of thermodynamics means staffs can't generate energy
The contract states that you are giving the devil the possession of your 'soul'

In reality you are giving them the valuable rights to your digitized consciousness, which they use for their unknown purposes, but a superintelligent human mind is clearly valuable for nefarious use.

Nanotrasen tries to stop this because they want to retain the rights over their patented digitized consciousnesses.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #419051

This also fits into my head canon. The syndicate is just a group of nanotransen traitors who've learned the ways of "deadchat" and how they're just endless mindslaves that get mindwiped every time they go to centcomm. So they steal some clone data disks and clone some "souls" before centcomm can. They then send those "souls" to the station with an uplink. Nar'sie and Rat'var have taken part in this game and do it the same way, but with there own items. Because a mass group of people with no escape is the perfect place to convert. The syndicate just sends a head slug to the station, and it infects someone before roundstart.
► Show Spoiler
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #419090

Stickymayhem wrote:
somerandomguy wrote:You forgot about something pretty important that throws a HUGE wrench into the works: Hellbound.

The contract states that you are giving the devil the possession of your 'soul'

In reality you are giving them the valuable rights to your digitized consciousness, which they use for their unknown purposes, but a superintelligent human mind is clearly valuable for nefarious use.

Nanotrasen tries to stop this because they want to retain the rights over their patented digitized consciousnesses.
Doesn't address the uncloneability. If you're saying the devil sends them to SS13 instead, then they would remain hellbound across all future rounds they were in. Also hellbound people's wills are unaffected, meaning the devil has no reason to send them there, as the human cannot be used to do anything nefarious.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #419155

Stopped reading when I saw who made the thread
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #419168

NikNakFlak wrote:Stopped reading when I saw who made the thread
afraid of the truth
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Post by Sometinyprick » #419174

my personal lore is that we are employees on a space station and sometimes bad shit happens and we die
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #419176

Sometinyprick wrote:my personal lore is that we are employees on a space station and sometimes bad shit happens and we die
but pricky we dont get paid
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #419185

You will never impose your fake lore on the masses
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #419659

Fraudulent lore makes a flatulent crag

*fart*
FrozenGuy5
Github User
Byond Username: FrozenGuy5
Github Username: praisenarsie

Post by FrozenGuy5 » #420479

my lore

space station 13 is a simulation
be it a live or digital one
ййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййййй shitty fucking signatures