You: Declares war, Me: Suicides, Admins: BWOINK

Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

You: Declares war, Me: Suicides, Admins: BWOINK

Post by Nabski » #422128

Bottom post of the previous page:

Should people be allowed to suicide right as war is declared?

I've given 4 people short war op bans for this, because I feel like it was antag rolling to try to get the ghost roll extra team operatives. In two of those four cases while I was talking to them they became an operative. This would have been a ban appeal by someone, but I applied the ban on the wrong person and didn't feel like it was worth reapplying since I had already kicked him out of the operative, so most of the punishment was already done.

Note we've had something similar to this thread before.
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3536
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: You: Declares war, Me: Suicides, Admins: BWOINK

Post by DemonFiren » #422538

so what's wrong with the suggestion that ghosts/suicides wait 10 minutes before being eligible for ghost roles?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #422540

Ayy Lemoh wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:making it so it doesn't announce the war until they take all they finish spending all their TCs or something is the way to go.
Let's assume that if the nuke ops press the button to open nuke op shuttle doors, the war announcement will pop up. That is the only good method I can think of besides BUY ONE ITEM AND IMMEDIATELY GET FUCKED or YOU HAVE TO SPEND ALL YOUR TC OR ELSE NOTHING HAPPENS LMAO UBER STEALTH WAR OPS IS THE META NOW LMAO. There is nothing else different. One could finish buying all their items, wait until they can go to the station, and then open the shutter.

You would have basically one minute to prepare assuming the nuke disk holder isn't getting fucked over by someone.

If it works in a way where the nuke ops have PLENTY of time to prepare but are forced to wait in the outpost for 15 minutes after the announcement pops up then the following possibilities occur:
A. If shuttle can't be called until war op announcement then people are going to know the peaceful round is war ops when they try to call the shuttle at 30 minutes and it won't let them.
B. If shuttle can be called then rest in peace peaceful shifts since they would probably just assume it's war ops if nothing happened by 00:30:00
C. this is the most boring and frustrating thing i can think of where it pisses off both people who want action and people who prefer calmer interactions.
This was one suggestion, of course it would have to be coded in a way that's still fair. Your dumb filthy frank reply isn't going to change the fact that there's a problem that needs addressing. Fuck your tl;dr
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #422543

DemonFiren wrote:so what's wrong with the suggestion that ghosts/suicides wait 10 minutes before being eligible for ghost roles?
It's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist and I don't want to waste ten minutes of my life before I can have fun again

Edit: If people are willing to risk being completely unable to play just for a chance of having fun then god bless them, maybe we should make the game mode better so they don't do that
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #422544

I usually commit suicide when ops/blob is announced not because I want to roll antag but because I'd rather observe and comment in deadchat than play those rounds
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #422552

Blobs not even a mode anymore.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #422557

@Nik @Ayy

You could just have it announced on shuttle move and make the transition longer lol
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #422583

iamgoofball wrote:a randomized 5-10 minute delay on going from death to ghost role would probably help here a lot
...this is actually a legitimately good idea I'm proud of you goof
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #422584

Saegrimr wrote:As long as it doesn't fuck with ashwalker/golem/whatever ghost spawner menu roles exist. I unironically like to dick around on that rusted station full of hivebots when the round is shit.
Felt like restating.
Apparently /vg/ has a 5 minute wait timer to become a mommi after death too.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #422682

bandit wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:a randomized 5-10 minute delay on going from death to ghost role would probably help here a lot
...this is actually a legitimately good idea I'm proud of you goof
Just weighting it based on time dead would be a less painful solution for the player, sure you can suicide for antag rolls but if it is a 0.0001% chance for them to get the roll for 5 minutes after death it would naturally be discouraged.

Plus it would solve the edge case of there being no other ghosts for the random ghost roll besides the one asshole who died 2 minutes ago

Dont punish all people who play ghost roles for a freaking edge case that is suiciding for random antag status.
RogueSteampunker
Byond Username: RogueSteampunker

Post by RogueSteampunker » #422993

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:why do you have to kill yourself if you hate the roundtype so intensely you cant stand to exist in it? why dont you just... tab out. boot up the other server or something.
Because joining a game roundstart and being told that all your setup is being interrupted by "that one roundtype where the captain runs around and gets slaughtered, the heads fight OPs, and the AI is guranteed to be more an antag than the actual OPs", and find that the other server had already been pillaged of resources by the assistants. Suicide is the only option without just closing out of tg, since roundstart can make all the difference, and war OPs basically tosses it out the window.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #422994

RogueSteampunker wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:why do you have to kill yourself if you hate the roundtype so intensely you cant stand to exist in it? why dont you just... tab out. boot up the other server or something.
Because joining a game roundstart and being told that all your setup is being interrupted by "that one roundtype where the captain runs around and gets slaughtered, the heads fight OPs, and the AI is guranteed to be more an antag than the actual OPs", and find that the other server had already been pillaged of resources by the assistants. Suicide is the only option without just closing out of tg, since roundstart can make all the difference, and war OPs basically tosses it out the window.
At least with war ops you get some forward notice to not bother starting any projects unlike stealth ops or wizards that don't immediately spawn guns/events
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #423321

Fucking no. Ask to be ghosted by an admin.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #423494

To summarize bullshit,
Lumbermancer wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:Why is this an issue
If the game mode makes you kill yourself, that's probably an issue.
The warops group is scaled by the stations pop. One quarter or half (just a random ass number) suicides because the mode is ass, suddenly the team is skewing that fight in its favor just by declaring war. Not including them buying reinforcements/borgs. It is kind of an issue.
D&B wrote:Ghosting is the I don't want to play anymore command.
Bingo. Bet you see similar shit in blood cult, too, as working against them or fucking off can lead to cultbans.

A cooldown on being able to use spawners after dying if you are not a direct observer from the lobby menu sounds like a fine and dandy idea but that was hardly the highlight of this whole shindig.
If it hasn't been noticed yet, there's a distaste for the mode or more specifically, shit like warops. For me? They're boring. Some people would rather opt-out, including myself, than even bother going it. So when I die when that war declaration happens, it is not to try getting on their team.

I just can't be fucking arsed to care about another damn op round.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #423504

Gamarr wrote:To summarize bullshit,
Lumbermancer wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:Why is this an issue
If the game mode makes you kill yourself, that's probably an issue.
The warops group is scaled by the stations pop. One quarter or half (just a random ass number) suicides because the mode is ass, suddenly the team is skewing that fight in its favor just by declaring war. Not including them buying reinforcements/borgs. It is kind of an issue.
This is a common argument and the common response is that those who commit suicide are usually people who wouldn't have made a difference anyway against the ops, unless you used them as cannon meat to choke the nuke ops' guns
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #423658

It's not as big an issue as people are making out, and it really only comes into play very early in cult and rev rounds.

Everyone arguing for any other reasons are mostly strawmanning things that don’t' matter.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #423748

maybe the issue is the frequency of nuke ops? short rounds are nice every once and awhile, but nuke ops feels rather common, and you cant get any projects done on them or typically short round types.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #423769

I'll just admit that on rare occasion when I've been really bored or in a murderboney mood I'd join as a greyshirt to roll for antag, and then immediately suicide to roll for ashlizard or the hopes of a quick admin-antag-spawn when I don't get antag.
Its not a regular thing, but its a thing, and I'm by no means the only player who has done this.
And the thing of it is, I can't even think of a single defense for leaving the ability to do so in the game. Its clearly just someone who already rolled for antag trying to do so again because they would rather click the spessmen until they fall down then play the game any other way, and yes I have on occasion been that asshole, but I can't defend this as a perfectly valid playstyle that should in no way be discouraged.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #423774

We’re not going to start gutting modes or reworking them ourselves to fit the small, however vocal they may appear on theforums, minority who suicides during them.

Also every “I want to not play as that character anymore” option whether it’s suiciding or suicide-for-the-restrained (ghosting), it should be treated the same. My only issue here is people who use any method to avoid conversion so much they had to code a pity-feature for it in at least one mode.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #423818

Should just put it as a message if you suicide on war ops, something that says suiciding purely with the intent to get nukie ghost roles is bannable and then follow up if anyone does.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #423826

Cobby wrote:We’re not going to start gutting modes or reworking them ourselves to fit the small, however vocal they may appear on theforums, minority who suicides during them.

Also every “I want to not play as that character anymore” option whether it’s suiciding or suicide-for-the-restrained (ghosting), it should be treated the same. My only issue here is people who use any method to avoid conversion so much they had to code a pity-feature for it in at least one mode.
Pity feature for avoiding conversion is requesting a Cult ban like me and several other people have done. I would rather play nothing at all than that shitty mode, and asking for a ban at least frees my character up for someone who enjoys playing it.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #423829

Also I just checked the round chances and nuke ops has a 19% chance to roll. 1 in 5 rounds being nuke ops is a tad too much for how short and samey those rounds can be, dont you think? maybe drop 10% or so off of that and put 5% in extended and 5% in wizard or something.
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #424145

Dr_bee wrote:Also I just checked the round chances and nuke ops has a 19% chance to roll. 1 in 5 rounds being nuke ops is a tad too much for how short and samey those rounds can be, dont you think? maybe drop 10% or so off of that and put 5% in extended and 5% in wizard or something.
Yeah, 19% feels like a bit much. I think wizard is fine at 11.9% A small bump to extended and maybe traitorchan/traitor would be a better choice in my opinion.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #424169

i didnt read this thread past the firs tpost

my two cents is you should always be allowed to suicide on any round type as long a syoure not blatantly rolling for antag
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424244

Hathkar wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:Also I just checked the round chances and nuke ops has a 19% chance to roll. 1 in 5 rounds being nuke ops is a tad too much for how short and samey those rounds can be, dont you think? maybe drop 10% or so off of that and put 5% in extended and 5% in wizard or something.
Yeah, 19% feels like a bit much. I think wizard is fine at 11.9% A small bump to extended and maybe traitorchan/traitor would be a better choice in my opinion.
Traitor chan is fine where it is. Changeling op cancer should stay rare. It being too high is what gave the fanbase a huge hatred for it.
► Show Spoiler
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #424285

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Hathkar wrote:
Traitor chan is fine where it is. Changeling op cancer should stay rare. It being too high is what gave the fanbase a huge hatred for it.
Recent changes to changeling's make the hivemind changeling deathsquad a much riskier thing to do, since lings get bonuses for eating their own and even have objectives counter to each other. Consider raising the chance of traitor/ling or add ling only mode back in so we can see how these changes work out more.

As much as I hate lings, the recent changes have been a move in the right direction and I would hate to see nuke ops see a ling level of hate.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424298

Repeat rounds suck. But the changelings dont need to be more common. It's not fun fighting an antagonist you can't beat alone. If they're semi decent they can take out an entire sec team. The worst part is that they come in fours. So at least one person takes out your entire sec team, and you have to deal with the traitor combo that comes with them. If you're not an antag during traitor lings, you have no chance. That's all.
► Show Spoiler
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #424309

Possibly outside the scope of this thread but repeat rounds suck for everything other then traitor IMO, and tweaking the RNG to make duplicate rounds less common would be a welcome change for most.
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #424617

BeeSting12 wrote:i didnt read this thread past the firs tpost

my two cents is you should always be allowed to suicide on any round type as long a syoure not blatantly rolling for antag
Thank you for summing up the first five posts before people dove into the minutia.
Pizzatiger
Byond Username: Pizzatiger

Post by Pizzatiger » #424794

I don't see the problem with antag rolling during nuke ops if your not an important role. What is an virologist going to do during nuke ops that the 20 assistants who already looted the armory can't do better. Becoming a ghost role that way is still not guaranteed and offers up a healthy supply of ghosts for whatever plan the nuke ops have.

Nobody has explained why this is a bad thing or how it harms the game for the other players yet.
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #424809

Pizzatiger wrote:Nobody has explained why this is a bad thing or how it harms the game for the other players yet.
When you allow this sort of behavior it tends to compound. A couple of people suiciding because they don't like war ops is okay, half the station suiciding is not. Even then, nobody gets banned for suiciding in the mode occasionally IMO, especially if you don't take ghost roles afterwards.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424832

I don't think this is a war ops only issue though. You'll have roundstart suiciders every round if they don't get traitor. They're probably dead before the war ops even get announced.
► Show Spoiler
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #424855

Shadowflame909 wrote:You'll have roundstart suiciders every round if they don't get traitor.
completely separate issue and im pretty sure people already get banned for it if they do it too much
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #424858

There should be a "return to lobby if not antag" option, this would reduce such suicides and allow them to go straight to observe if they don't want to play
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424868

Nilons wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:You'll have roundstart suiciders every round if they don't get traitor.
completely separate issue and im pretty sure people already get banned for it if they do it too much
Hint: It isn't, it's not actionable unless they go from sybils lobby to bagil to instantly re-roll for antag. Confirmed by several admins

Also how is this situation any different? You figure out the round type. You didnt get traitor, then you play sudoku
► Show Spoiler
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #424871

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Nilons wrote:
Hint: It isn't, it's not actionable unless they go from sybils lobby to bagil to instantly re-roll for antag. Confirmed by several admins

Also how is this situation any different? You figure out the round type. You didnt get traitor, then you play sudoku
In nuke ops if they declare war you can be fairly certain there will be ghost roles right away, other gamemodes its a coin toss.

you saying it isnt actionable except for the times where it is doesn't really change the fact that it is according to policy
Signature Memes

Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #425069

Pizzatiger wrote: Nobody has explained why this is a bad thing or how it harms the game for the other players yet.
Yes I did.
Several modes antag numbers are scaled, afaik purely, on the stations population at the start of the round. It's one of the few metrics that was used (though this could be wrong and I'd love to hear that it takes more into account but honestly doubting this). A quarter of the present crew suicides because 'lolnorantag' means that now the whole formula for the numbers are skewed entirely towards the antagonist side for said round.

So yes, them suicides matter because they joined the start, bloated the station and jacked up the changeling/traitors/op numbers, and then removed themselves from the actual mode they helped influence and create.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #425398

@Gamarr they’re based off station numbers and math unique to the mode
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #425434

Grazyn wrote:There should be a "return to lobby if not antag" option, this would reduce such suicides and allow them to go straight to observe if they don't want to play
the funny thing is this actually exists and all the experienced antag rollers use it
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #425437

subject217 wrote:
Pizzatiger wrote:Nobody has explained why this is a bad thing or how it harms the game for the other players yet.
When you allow this sort of behavior it tends to compound. A couple of people suiciding because they don't like war ops is okay, half the station suiciding is not. Even then, nobody gets banned for suiciding in the mode occasionally IMO, especially if you don't take ghost roles afterwards.
If half the station suicides because of the gamemode then it's a problem with the gamemode, not the players.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #425439

BeeSting12 wrote:If half the station suicides because of the gamemode then it's a problem with the gamemode, not the players.
If they're suiciding so that they can get antag ghost roles explicitly, I'd say that's a problem with the players. Otherwise, I'd agree.