let engineering sell excess power for cargo points

A place to record your ideas for the game.
mysteryman sideburns
Byond Username: Sideburns

let engineering sell excess power for cargo points

Post by mysteryman sideburns » #424110

i dunno
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Re: let engineering sell excess power for cargo points

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #424113

This was PR'd before in the form of the PTL from goon and some weird cargo point thing by robustin. IIRC oranges didnt like them so the PRs died. Also kevinz tried to make one but never finished

Seeing as oranges is in charge of the codebase now, you'd need to come up with something he likes to get it merged.

I'd definitely like engineering to have something to do with their extra power though. Maybe give them some fancy sci-fi replicators so they can make their own metal/glass for a ton of power or something.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #424214

I don't see a reason for power exports to be a thing. It's not like power needs any more uses as-is. It's quite effective at what it does.
TribeOfBeavers wrote:I'd definitely like engineering to have something to do with their extra power though. Maybe give them some fancy sci-fi replicators so they can make their own metal/glass for a ton of power or something.
Not an awful idea, but keep in mind that miners exist, in part, to produce these resources. Giving engineering the ability to produce metal and glass on their own takes jobs away from cargo and mining.

And I'll be damned if Cargonia's jobs are going to be outsourced to some third world engineering bay.
► Show Spoiler
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #424222

Farquaar wrote:I don't see a reason for power exports to be a thing. It's not like power needs any more uses as-is. It's quite effective at what it does.
TribeOfBeavers wrote:I'd definitely like engineering to have something to do with their extra power though. Maybe give them some fancy sci-fi replicators so they can make their own metal/glass for a ton of power or something.
Not an awful idea, but keep in mind that miners exist, in part, to produce these resources. Giving engineering the ability to produce metal and glass on their own takes jobs away from cargo and mining.

And I'll be damned if Cargonia's jobs are going to be outsourced to some third world engineering bay.
I was thinking it'd be super minor, so the engineers would have to produce a bunch of power and have a bunch of the machines set up to compete with mining. Something like the standard SM setup would give one stack over an entire round or something. That way it incentivizes people to actually do more elaborate power setups, and it lets engineers have another autism project/highscore to work for if they wanted to (make the most metal/glass in a round using only power).

Also, I don't think I've ever seen an engineer take metal or glass from the ORM so cargonian jobs would probably be safe :P
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #424272

The problem with this, other then someone having to code it and get it approved, is that IIRC the difference between a good power setup and the Full Optimal Power Production Setup is huge - so if the basic engine gave one stack over an entire round, the Crazy Power Production Setup would give enough credits for a couple dozen null crates or something
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #424313

Is there even such thing as excess power anymore?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #424314

No bonuses for extra power until you make it not be in abundance with roundstart setups.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #424320

Interesting idea. I think all forms of utilizing additional power is cool.

However, one thing I was curious about, does having excess power now help prevent power loss and things of that nature? From what I can understand, having excess power should charge the SMES faster or more right?

One thing I don't like, although maybe I haven't understood how to deal with it, is when there are random events saying "the station power will be shut off for an indeterminate duration." Basically, with this random event, you've invalidated the work of engineers. The scrubber overloads make sense, it tests the atmos system that was set up. However, that random event you can't fix or prevent sucks. Maybe having excess power should prevent that event from happening.

Edit: lack of power really fucks over a lot of the station.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #424329

Grid check is easy to counter. Just go to the APC and reset it, you don't even need access
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #424534

iirc the main reason maintainers didn't like it was that there's no real limit to power generation and it can be pretty consistently and reliably set up to make a metric fuckton of excess power. Not only that but cargo was already a pretty bad system at the time in terms of how little effort you had to put in and in return you'd get a billion crazy one shot guns and stuff.
Tl;dr it was bad because it was basically just free point generation for a department that absolutely didn't need free point generation
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
NanookoftheNorth
Byond Username: NanookoftehNorth

Post by NanookoftheNorth » #424546

PKPenguin321 wrote:Tl;dr it was badfun because it was basically just free point generation for a department that absolutely didn't need free point generation
Sounds good. I think we're all in agreement then. Implement it.
Love, your favorite forum poster, Jenna Tills
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #424602

only if you also add a side-antag decepticon with the objective to steal all the energon cubes