Night Vision Mesons v2

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Night Vision Mesons v2

Post by Hornygranny » #42408

talk shit get banned edition

If you don't like it, say so in a civil manner, if you do, the same.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Re: Night Vision Mesons v2

Post by QuartzCrystal » #42409

Paprika's change was bad and went in the opposite direction of what I believe most players would be interested in seeing (as was evident by essentially going in the opposite of what the original OP was suggesting).

Now HG tells me that Paprika has a PR increasing the illumination for miner borgs. Perhaps this fixes the needless change they made previously?
Hornygranny
Horny Police

Post by Hornygranny » #42412

The nuanced difference is that everyone can see the minerborg glowing like the sun, but only the minerborg can see when it has "nightvision".
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #42415

If the minerborg now actually shines like the sun then I think most of our complaints can be retracted, I'm glad input was listened to.

However, I still also think Night Vision Mesons should be added as a research item.
Hornygranny
Horny Police

Post by Hornygranny » #42417

I'm sure someone will do it when the freeze is over.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #42425

I don't understand why minerborgs were changed and would like somebody to explain it to me.
I play Boris Pepper.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #42470

The issue is that night vision is very strong in ss13, you are basically invisible in the dark and you can see clearly. Other people in maint basically get tased from a distance by somebody they can't see and then executed. It's hardly fun for anyone other than the person with night vision.

As such it was made a decision to make night vision a more restricted item and that was removed from mesons, leaving it on the miner borg was an oversight and paprika was correct in removing it.

However, they didn't consider the knock on effect of that change on miner borgs and how that relates to the range of attack mobs. In their defense, they're only human.

Finally pretty much every persons reaction to the change was shit and paprika's responses were shit.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #42475

Except minerborgs can't even do the action that is the "problem".

I could understand if secborgs had nightvision, how that would be a problem, but what is a minerborg going to do, walk up and flash you, and then drill while you are stunned? Oh wait, it can't, because flash doesn't stun anymore.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #42477

I agree with night vision being strong.
As a frequent minerborg, without night vision I fear i'll die to mobs much more often.
I play Boris Pepper.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #42481

The night vision doesn't affect seeing mobs at all wtf it only allowed you to see the tiles adjacent to you, a flashlight is more powerful for seeing mobs even
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
adrix89
Byond Username: Adrix89

Post by adrix89 » #42495

paprika wrote:The night vision doesn't affect seeing mobs at all wtf it only allowed you to see the tiles adjacent to you, a flashlight is more powerful for seeing mobs even
In other words space is not really dark.
Somejerk
Byond Username: Somejerk

Post by Somejerk » #42533

What have I done...
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #42561

It's not your fault dude don't worry about it, these things are going to happen no matter who makes a thread because that's just the way things are right now.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Silavite
Byond Username: Silavite

Post by Silavite » #42595

Was this already amended, or is the wiki out of date?
Meson Debacle.png
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Guide_to_R ... evelopment
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #42596

Wiki is severely out of date, yeah. We don't have wiki maintainers and it's not a requirement for coding.

The fact that it took you this long to notice it means that the wiki is pretty irrelevant towards things like that and people only use it for gamemode info/recipes.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #42611

Hornygranny wrote:I'm sure someone will do it when the freeze is over.
Reposting my proposal since the original thread is gone.

The requirements for night-vision equipment are as follows:
Standard NVG - Electromagnetic Spectrum 4, requires uranium.
NVG Medical HUD- Electromagnetic Spectrum 5, Biological Technology 4. Requires uranium and silver.
NVG Security HUD- Electromagnetic Spectrum 5, Combat Technology 4. Requires uranium and gold (swag).

Keeping in line with this, NVG Mesons would require:
Electromagnetic Spectrum 5, Engineering 4. Requires uranium like the others.
Since mesons require plasma, I would of course make this a requirement.
In addition, a bit of diamond would be required as well, because miners love shiny things.

NVG Mesons are not the same thing as X-ray vision. You will only see mobs and objects that in your view range. You will not see them through walls or obstacles, this is true only for turfs.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #42633

If you could do that gun_hog I'd be all for it, you could just re-use the "advanced mesons" sprite that borgs use and is leftover from ergo mesons. Also make them animated of course!
flazeo25

Post by flazeo25 » #42726

could we have the nightvision mesons for mining come with auto detect mining scanner, but would take some good research and be for miners and researchable for borgs.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #42748

flazeo25 wrote:could we have the nightvision mesons for mining come with auto detect mining scanner, but would take some good research and be for miners and researchable for borgs.
Why? The autoscanner is pretty cheap, and you can get it with a voucher as well. Do mining borgies not already have an autoscanner, as well?
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #42753