Silicon Policy and Traitors

Pizzatiger
Byond Username: Pizzatiger

Silicon Policy and Traitors

Post by Pizzatiger » #424758

If a traitor is borged, Do they still have to follow Silicon Policy in regards to non-human or are they allowed to freely murder those not protected under their laws?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Silicon Policy and Traitors

Post by Saegrimr » #424760

Laws come first. If your kill target is a lizard or other nonhuman, or otherwise exempt from your laws somehow then go for it.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Pizzatiger
Byond Username: Pizzatiger

Post by Pizzatiger » #424762

Saegrimr wrote:Laws come first. If your kill target is a lizard or other nonhuman, or otherwise exempt from your laws somehow then go for it.
The problem is that Silicon Policy still doesn't let you kill non-humans for no reason. My question is if traitors are exempt of policy like that
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424766

good point. Like what if they get purged.
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #424770

Pizzatiger wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:Laws come first. If your kill target is a lizard or other nonhuman, or otherwise exempt from your laws somehow then go for it.
The problem is that Silicon Policy still doesn't let you kill non-humans for no reason. My question is if traitors are exempt of policy like that
Having objectives to do so is a reason?
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #424777

I don't think you should try to kill a lizard after getting caught and borged, even if he was your target - once you get caught and borged the idea is you lost, you were removed from the round, and you were put in a borg to give you a chance to basically play again and help the station, not to pick up where you left off being a traitor.

now if your laws tell you to kill the lizard, or a human orders you to do it, or if you get purged and want to get your revenge on the station that all seems fine, but killing your former target after borging seems pointless and like the sort of thing that would result in less confirmed traitors being given borging as an option.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #424815

This is bad precedent as it basically means there is no reason to ever borg traitors as they will still murder crew members.

Borging is supposed to be the pity alternative to killing traitors to keep them in the round in some capacity, if a traitor is borged they have lost.
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #424816

the rules wrote:4. Lone antagonists can do whatever they want.
The reason Asimov silicons cannot kill non-humans for no reason is Rule 1. This had to be espoused upon in silicon policy because people are stupid. Traitors are explicitly allowed to be dicks. If you're worried about a borg harming a nonhuman, maybe you should give it a different lawset.
Last edited by subject217 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #424817

Dr_bee wrote:This is bad precedent as it basically means there is no reason to ever borg traitors as they will still murder crew members.

Borging is supposed to be the pity alternative to killing traitors to keep them in the round in some capacity, if a traitor is borged they have lost.
If the traitor has steal objective he's basically fucked anyway and can't greentext. Just don't play lizard and don't purge the AI if you don't want that risk.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424822

Dr_bee wrote:This is bad precedent as it basically means there is no reason to ever borg traitors as they will still murder crew members.

► Show Spoiler
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #424823

Saegrimr wrote:If the traitor has steal objective he's basically fucked anyway and can't greentext. Just don't play lizard and don't purge the AI if you don't want that risk.
Borged players count as dead already, no? Unless they had die a glorious death, they already have their greentext denied.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424826

If someones purged, and they were previously a traitor. I dont see why they cant do traitorous things. They still have objectives. >security doesnt just brainwash traitors.
► Show Spoiler
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #424827

This problem is literally solved by saying "; borg, do not harm any crew members"

Technically purged borgs are still subject to the will of their Master AI, but obviously that depends on your AIs willingness to watch over their borgs.

Anyway I don't see anything wrong with a 1 in 100 traitor who pulls off his assassination objective while borged and then somehow makes it back alive.

If a former-traitor borg is murderboning then literally have any human say "borg stop murdering non-humans" and you'll be fine.

This seems like a one-round ided policy issue as opposed to a trend or an actual overall issue.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #424853

you can take the criminal out of the body but you cant take the criminal out of the brain
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #424873

It seems arbitrary to limit it to "objectives only" but not allow them to murderbone all non humans
RandomMarine
Github User
Byond Username: RandomMarine
Github Username: RandomMarine

Post by RandomMarine » #424886

Let it be handled in character.
The crew has the means to remotely disable a misbehaving cyborg and hand the brain over to the chef.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #424907

If you can complete your objectives without going against your laws, then go for it.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
MrAlphonzo
Byond Username: MrAlphonzo

Post by MrAlphonzo » #424910

They can just be law 2 ordered to behave and not kill non-humams en masse.

If traitorborgs do start going ham on lizards/moths/flies the players will just start giving them that order as soon as they are borged.
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: i love alphonzo and he can be a lot of fun but bro you need to get laid come on
oranges wrote:
Misdoubtful wrote:We're all friends here.
What fucking planet are you living on
oranges wrote: i'm not taking advice from a bottom bitch
OOC: IcePacks: vtubers
OOC: IcePacks: anime
OOC: IcePacks: two mistakes mankind has yet to rectify
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #424988

This seems like a policy that would really require all admins to be on the same page because the equation "borged = no longer antag" is pretty widespread
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #424989

Laws come first.

Also roleplay and don't be a murdering cunt.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424993

starmute wrote:Laws come first.

Also roleplay and don't be a murdering cunt.
This situation in general is for when you don't have laws that go against your traitorous goals. Like when your purged.
► Show Spoiler
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #424997

If you're purged you're purged, if your memories still say you have objectives you still have objectives. How hard you pursue them is as always up to your discretion. Seems simple to me.
starmute

Post by starmute » #425005

SpaceManiac wrote:If you're purged you're purged, if your memories still say you have objectives you still have objectives. How hard you pursue them is as always up to your discretion. Seems simple to me.
If laws are purged you are still slaved to the AI unless otherwise stated. If THEY want you to murder someone then go off and murder them. Also there has been debate over the years in "how much do I remember before being borged, am I a new person?". Also this seems to be alot of work for "unga bunga I want to justify some green text", if you have died as a syndicate and someone took the time to borg you and let you play, and you can't really get that delicious green text anyways it just seems... cheap.
Alexch2
Byond Username: Alexch2

Post by Alexch2 » #425011

I thought we already established, and have been acting for years under that since borgs are just an extension of the AI, whatever objectives and old allegiances you had before getting borged don't matter anymore. That's the whole reason turning people into borgs is a viable alternative to execution/perma/taking people out of the round space law-wise. Same for changelings, traitors, xenos, or whatever else.

If you borg a xeno, it's not gonna start flashing and bringing non-humans to the xeno hive.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #425017

Alexch2 wrote:borgs are just an extension of the AI
Borgs are slaved independent units that obey their Master AI, but they're not "extensions" of the AI. They have independent thought and opinion (and action, in the absence of AI oversight/orders at any given moment)
whatever objectives and old allegiances you had before getting borged don't matter anymore.
Not backed up by game code, where your objectives are still stored in your mind and you aren't given any indication that you've been "deconverted". You have to follow borg laws but your brain is still a brainwashed syndicate operative/wizard foundation diplomat/etc.
That's the whole reason turning people into borgs is a viable alternative to execution/perma/taking people out of the round space law-wise. Same for changelings, traitors, xenos, or whatever else.
It's viable because it forces them to conform to their laws (and in the case of changelings/xenos denies them any chance at their magic powers).
If you borg a xeno, it's not gonna start flashing and bringing non-humans to the xeno hive.
In the absence of other commands/laws, I see no reason why it wouldn't. The borg is not a posibrain. The borg is a xenobrain with some heavy mechanical fuckery forcing it to follow its laws and Master AI commands, but at root it's still a xeno.

However I'd probably give a xenoborg shit about creating/helping to create known human harmful creatures, so your analogy is flawed anyway.

starmute

Post by starmute » #425021

Arianya wrote:
Not backed up by game code, where your objectives are still stored in your mind and you aren't given any indication that you've been "deconverted". You have to follow borg laws but your brain is still a brainwashed syndicate operative/wizard foundation diplomat/etc.

In the absence of other commands/laws, I see no reason why it wouldn't. The borg is not a posibrain. The borg is a xenobrain with some heavy mechanical fuckery forcing it to follow its laws and Master AI commands, but at root it's still a xeno.

However I'd probably give a xenoborg shit about creating/helping to create known human harmful creatures, so your analogy is flawed anyway.
That is terrible logic. That's the same as if you were a ghost and you "remembered" that there are revs since you saw it in ghost chat. Its not "IN CODE" but its not looked upon kindly either. When you die, thats it, fineto. When you are made into a golem you don't remember your past life. Same with other mobs.

Its literally "oh we are giving you a second chance to play ss13 as a borg."
Last edited by starmute on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #425024

starmute wrote:
Arianya wrote:

That is terrible logic. That's the same as if you were a ghost and you "remembered" that there are revs since you saw it in ghost chat. Its not "IN CODE" but its not looked upon kindly either. When you die, thats it, fineto. When you are made into a golem you don't remember your past life. Same with other mobs.
Ghost knowledge is meta knowledge that your character has no way to know about. Golems are a entirely new life. Borgs are the same brain carried over. Obviously during their brief braindeath they don't remember anything they saw as a ghost, but that brain is the same brain that was in the traitor/whatever and they remember everything from their pre-borg life, including any grudges they might act out on if they happen to get purged.

That's been the way it's been handled for some time now.

starmute

Post by starmute » #425026

Arianya wrote:
I hate to say it but I think you should get someone more qualified to say "for some time now" since you know... you only started being canidated on Apr 24...
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #425027

starmute wrote:
Arianya wrote:
I hate to say it but I think you should get someone more qualified to say "for some time now" since you know... you only started being canidated on Apr 24...
That's how I handled it when I was an admin.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #425030

starmute wrote:
Arianya wrote:
This is how it was forever.
When you were alive you were a bad guy, your brain still has the memories. It's distinctly different from learning stuff while you are a ghost.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
starmute

Post by starmute » #425031

Huh well wasn't when I was admin. Then again, I never had to deal with this exact situation.

Guess I should have just killed someone instead of borging them.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #425032

starmute wrote:Guess I should have just killed someone instead of borging them.
You totally could if you wanted to be boring. You really have nothing to fear from a borged traitor unless you're a ligger or cat, or the AI gets purged in which case you probably have more to worry about than just one cyborg.
Or go upload shit race protection laws if you really want them to not bother you.
starmute

Post by starmute » #425033

Saegrimr wrote: You totally could if you wanted to be boring. You really have nothing to fear from a borged traitor unless you're a ligger or cat, or the AI gets purged in which case you probably have more to worry about than just one cyborg.
Or go upload shit race protection laws if you really want them to not bother you.
The whole point of borging people was to give them something to do and be nice to syndicate operatives. There's no point if it can bite you on the ass. This also goes double for someone who was forecably borged because it states in our rules that it's considered extreme human harm. So I can throw them in the poky and hope they don't destroy the prison or I can "re-educate them" and try to hope the AI doesn't notice. Borging as it was just stated is considered extreme human harm and frankly, as sec I don't want the AI on my ass locking and bolting every door.

Also I think you kids are going to have to put me into the retirement home, my memory seems really fuzzy.
Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #425055

starmute wrote:There's no point if it can bite you on the ass.
I'm just gonna leave this as is, as commentary on the state of general design of this game.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #425062

Saegrimr wrote:
starmute wrote:There's no point if it can bite you on the ass.
I'm just gonna leave this as is, as commentary on the state of general design of this game.
saved
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #425070

Silicon policy is fuck-awful because they are played by players, and our players are awful.

What follows is a story from years back and how much the 'policy' can shift.
Spoiler:
Got borged as traitor once. Didn't even do anything, the Hoss was shit tier and killed then borged greyback me. He got lucky basically and I didn't tell him anything. But I was traitor and thus it was fine to the admins at the time, years ago. Talked to the RD, gave him a sob story, and how I hated my life as a machine and how life as a Human was entirely unjust leading up to that point.

RD tried to reclone me and give the traitor-brain life again. Anyway, I don't know how it ended fully as its been so long but I do remember getting bwoinked for it and maybe even a synth ban from... almost forgot but mostly sure it was Tsaricide, piece of shit that he was.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #425071

Gamarr wrote:Silicon policy is fuck-awful because they are played by players, and our players are awful.

Spoiler:
Breaking law three
You broke law three.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #425073

You assume that.
Spoiler:
I simply told the RD about what happened and sat there in the robotics lab and he knew what I wanted. People funnily enough don't order borgs to tell the truth very often. Aware you can't kill yourself but unless someone tells me to move and go do something specifically, don't have to actually be useful, either. RD could have destroyed me and I'd have been ok with it but rambling, truthfully, about how the hoss killed and put you in that situation goes far with people.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #425074

Nabski wrote:
Gamarr wrote:Silicon policy is fuck-awful because they are played by players, and our players are awful.

Spoiler:
Breaking law three
You broke law three.
I mean, he continued to exist and function.
Just not as cyborg.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #425277

I don't see what's wrong with a traitor turned borg still trying to accomplish his objectives as long as they conform to their laws. How often is a traitor not just executed on the spot by sec anyway? This presents more opportunity for roleplay and clever workarounds to laws too. In the very rare instance where a traitor is caught, not shot and spaced, gets borged, then gets purged, enjoy your murderbone until the crew flashes you. It's not like sec borgs are in the game anymore.

To the couple saying "it's like using ghost knowledge, you died!" That makes no sense. You died and were brought back to life. You know everything that happened up until the moment of your death, and then everything that happens after you're put in an MMI. You're still the exact same person you were, just with your actions controlled by laws. A syndicate agent turned cyborg would probably do everything within their laws to work against the crew, but that would be really limited if asimov. If you borg a traitor you should order them to never do anything to act against the station or crew if you want to be safe. Or watch as the borg deletes all the research, wipes the genetics data, and anything he can quietly get away with that doesn't cause human harm directly.

It would be a dick move but you could probably even argue for a traitor borg to dismantle cloning because it's not actually causing human harm. Not having a cloner doesn't cause harm, it just makes it harder to recover from harm that's already been caused. That's a little bit of a grey area though. But if we consider a traitor borg to still be a traitor, you could make that argument.
--Crocodillo

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #425335

subject217 wrote:
Saegrimr wrote:If the traitor has steal objective he's basically fucked anyway and can't greentext. Just don't play lizard and don't purge the AI if you don't want that risk.
Borged players count as dead already, no? Unless they had die a glorious death, they already have their greentext denied.
Borg players are considered dead for the purpose of objectives, yes.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #426141

Nabski wrote:

Spoiler:
Breaking law three
You broke law three.
He may have been ordered to ignore law 3 after hinting at his desire to be cloned as a human
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #426161

Getting borged as an antag and still having those objectives in your notes should totally allow you to attempt those objectives as long as they don't clash with your lawset. You didn't magically erase the brain of their previous allegiance, you just restrained it with a set of rules to follow and nothing short of 'you will unconditionally love nanotrasen' as a law should stop them from holding resentment.

At least that's the much more fun way of looking at it and adds a nice layer of conflict that'd come with shoving a dangerous criminal into a machine and your only attempt at rehabilitation is a set of rules they mentally can't go against due to programming.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.