all engineering jobs

Ban reason and length:
deliminating the SM and upon request

Time ban was placed (including time zone):
10 pm CST

Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil):
Sybil

Your side of the story:
I wanted to run the SM hot so i looked up all the defines in the code to see what stats i needed not to hit when using the engine. i ran countless CO2 engines before and have put plasma and tritium in the engine safely to test as i was doing today and never had any problems. I decide to go to sybil because it is lower pop and it would be easier to control with less variables. I test my method once at the end of the previous round to see what problems would arise and take notes that once it goes above 5000 relative EER it starts climbing a lot faster and on its own with outside variables removed. I safely set up a CO2 engine the next round and everything is running fine so I wait to discover the game mode in order to ensure noone is going to randomly try to blow it up and upon finding that is cult decide im safe to proceed. I start using my method from the previous round but decide to turn it off when the EER hits 4000 so i can have plenty of time to react. Then as im turning it off before it can deliminate i get permanently stunned by lightning shooting out of it despite the previous round having the same gear not once getting stunned for more than 4-6 seconds at a time and a slime anomaly spawns around 30 seconds after being stunned and kills me shortly after. I get admin messaged saying another player is accusing me of intentionally griefing and deliminating the SM for several rounds before and he believes the other player over myself due to me saying in the admin help "i wanted to experiment and have fun" as to my reason for trying to run such a dangerous setup.

Why you think you should be unbanned:
1. that was the first round i could have affected someone else with my actions so i was banned on false accusations
2. Although my own incompetence was the cause of harming several other players rounds i prepared as best i could before hand and was attempting to rid myself of the incompetence that landed me this job ban and 24 hour ban
3. Severely worse incompetence has ruined several of my team antagonist rounds by a far higher degree than what i did to other players and none of those players have received any punishment to my knowledge
4. Im perfectly fine taking a non-immediate unban as I know what i was doing was dangerous and players should be punished for actions such as mine as I indirectly harmed many players as a non-antag.

EDIT: round ID: 90747
MrAlphonzo
Byond Username: MrAlphonzo

Re: [mralphonzo] granpawalton ban appeal

Post by MrAlphonzo » #424968

This explanation is very VERY different than the one you gave during my initial questioning on the server. You gave me the impression that you were simply delaminating the engine, just so you could salvage it, for the giggles. It was incredibly risky and irresponible behavior that, unsurprisingly, ended up getting someone killed and had I not removed the SM before it delaminated, it most likely would've killed many, many others.

Before I move forward with any decision, I'd like to know why you didn't tell me, at least some of this, while I was speaking to you before.
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: i love alphonzo and he can be a lot of fun but bro you need to get laid come on
oranges wrote:
Misdoubtful wrote:We're all friends here.
What fucking planet are you living on
oranges wrote: i'm not taking advice from a bottom bitch
OOC: IcePacks: vtubers
OOC: IcePacks: anime
OOC: IcePacks: two mistakes mankind has yet to rectify
granpawalton
Byond Username: Granpawalton

Post by granpawalton » #424969

i wanted to quickly get back to working on the engine and had a lot of IC things keeping me from giving my full attention to you causing me to not have time to double check what i typed or give length explanations. I wanted to resolve the engine situation without requiring admin intervention and even in ghost mode was trying to see if i forgot something i thought i touched (which is against the rules but i wanted to prevent ruining other peoples rounds more and am fine taking consequences from that too). Also i didnt know what you heard so i didnt know what you needed to know from me.
MrAlphonzo

Post by MrAlphonzo » #424971

I sincerely doubt you would have had any difficulties giving me full attention, seeing as how you were a corpse for most of our exchange.

Additionally, I did tell you that another player had accused you of having difficulties with the engine during that round and beforehand, which gave you a good enough understanding of what you stood accused of.

I am having some severe doubts in the consistency in your story, and I would like input from other admins, especially ones who have interracted with you previously, before I come to a decision. I may end up leaving this to the head admins.
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: i love alphonzo and he can be a lot of fun but bro you need to get laid come on
oranges wrote:
granpawalton

Post by granpawalton » #424973

i still have a hard time playing and reading chat even after 9 months and i tried telling you about the other player being incorrect you just didnt believe me. Also im not sure about the length of our conversation but it seemed to only have been about 2 to 3 minutes which wouldnt have been enough time for me to tell you what i needed to say before i got cloned back in
MrAlphonzo

Post by MrAlphonzo » #424982

After taking some input from the other admins, while I can understand why you would want to experiment with game mechanics, as many of us admins do, it also does not make you immune to the consequences.

If you really want to experiment with the supermatter, without the risk of the hammer coming down, I'd recommend hosting your own server.

I especially don't think that, if you can't keep up with the chat, were completely unaware that the supermatter could spawn slimes to begin with, ontop of the inconsistency of your story, I think you should serve out your punishment to the full. If you can improve upon your gameplay to a degree where you can keep up with chat and handle the supermatter, a VERY IMPORTANT part of the station, I can see myself lifting your engineering ban. Your dayban will be over in a couple of hours, and you can go back to playing other roles.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:
granpawalton

Post by granpawalton » #424984

how would i go about proving my gameplay ability? i did know that slimes could spawn in and feel comfortable proving my ability to handle both given the opportunity but aslong as the ban persists i dont know how i would do so.
MrAlphonzo

Post by MrAlphonzo » #424987

In your own logs, you stated that you were unaware the engine could spawn slimes.

Regardless, I'm locking this.

More gameplay time will make it less difficult for you to keep up with chat, I'm certain.

If you ever plan on doing any dangerous experiments such as this, again, take as many precautions as possible to minimize any damage. In the meantime, feel free to familiarize yourself with the supermatter engine on your own private instance.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #426417

Sorry, I was going to post here awhile ago but then I got my teeth pulled out. We encourage experimentation with the SM but what we do not encourage is a reckless attempt to destabilize the SM only to bring it back up for giggles.

Though, I do think that an outright engineering ban is a bit harsh here without any previous notes. Just understand that if something similar happens again, this will be upgraded to a perm.

Appeal accepted, any other headmin can respond.