Vending machine food change

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Should vending machine snacks have a very low nutriment amount?

Yes
18%
Yes
18%
Yes
18%
No
11%
No
11%
No
11%
Other
4%
Other
4%
Other
4%
Abstain
No votes
Abstain
No votes
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 114

Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Re: Vending machine food change

Post by Scott » #40811

Bottom post of the previous page:

I like phil's suggestion and would still like to nerf severely vending machine food.
Rolan7
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 » #40848

Vending machines have always been a disappointing mechanic.

Chef wouldn't become vitally important if vending machines were all removed. It's soil plots and hydro trays which become important. Raw vegetables have quite a bit of nutrient. And last I checked (which was a while ago) there were plenty of places to grow things. A single dedicated botanist can easily keep up with station hunger. Two or three botanists will probably have enough nutrient for the entire round within 5 minutes.

If botany derps out and nobody wants to break in? The kitchen still spawns with quite a bit of eggs, soymilk, milk, flour, and a meat source.

If the botanists and chef all fail, cargo can order cheap food crates (and even make soil plots from mined sand).

If botany, the chef, and cargo all fail, isn't there still a public garden? I haven't played in a while.

All it really takes is one person to produce enough food. If nobody on the entire station is willing to do that, then people deserve to walk slow after half an hour...
The EMPEROR OF MANKIND wants YOU to squash bugs. They are symptoms of CHAOS.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #40881

Rolan7 wrote:All it really takes is one person to produce enough food. If nobody on the entire station is willing to do that, then people deserve to walk slow after half an hour...
This, really. If you can't be bothered to eat anything but raisins, you kinda deserve the slow speed for not taking care of yourself on even a basic level. This is really akin to "oh god why am I dying due to lack of air? You mean I have to put this mask AND tank on? Fuck that. Too much effort."
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #41107

Hasnt anyone in this thread really thought about the kitchen properly a better way would be for letting the chef to refill vending machines with all of the food that the chef can make.

Seriously the problem isnt that vending machines are detracting from the chef they are just making a mechanic more depressed because you can eat something and be fine in just a few seconds after.

Letting the chef refill vendors with prepared foods would solve this entire thing and create a possible dynamic for a traitor chef to poison one or two foods and blame it on a assistant asked to refill the vendor.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #41230

I really dislike that idea. The Chef belongs in his kitchen. If people want to eat they can get food from the counter or order it at the bar. Besides, vending machines are for mass produced food.
Rolan7
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 » #41358

I dunno, it sounds like a good compromise. It's not hard to cover the counter in food, just complicated (or simple, depending on the recipes chosen).
The EMPEROR OF MANKIND wants YOU to squash bugs. They are symptoms of CHAOS.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41362

Rolan7 wrote:I dunno, it sounds like a good compromise. It's not hard to cover the counter in food, just complicated (or simple, depending on the recipes chosen).
Time spent outside the kitchen is time spent not cooking. A chef that isn't cooking is a sad chef. Don't make the chef sad.
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #41595

By what this thread is saying its either chef make food then nobody eat it or chef maoes a huge amount of food put it in restocking units and either get the rainbows to refill the vendrs or do it themselves. (Also greater chance of someone poisioning their target and placing the blame onto someone else l?)
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #41598

Could open up a second chef slot under the assumption that one makes the food and the other delivers it.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #41604

Thats like having two Roboticists or three Botanists. Sounds good but really the extra people just end up getting in the way.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41616

MisterPerson wrote:Could open up a second chef slot under the assumption that one makes the food and the other delivers it.
There's a waiter outfit in the chef's locker. Though, I'd be for the second "chef" if we had a better option for "general food delivery" like a pizza guy getup or something.
JDemms

Post by JDemms » #41631

This is overall a better idea. People find it inconvenient to come by the kitchen, and, unfortunately, there's no easy way to deliver food directly from the kitchen. (Arguably, disposals is possible, but that requires cargo to play along and/or get directly involved by stamping/MULEing your food packages.) All too often, Ill go half of shift with a counter full of food, step away again, and come back to find one guy having eaten half of my prepared food, or, just noone will come by, and I'll see crumpled up raisins boxes and jerky packets in the hallway. Having a pizza/Chinese/faggot-man delivery slot would be nice, though it does hit that problem of being conditionally relevant/useful.
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #41632

Cargo can have a delivery job, or Cargo Techs can do that, since it's already their job.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41650

Scott wrote:Cargo can have a delivery job, or Cargo Techs can do that, since it's already their job.
I always thought it would be nice for there to be more package scanners so departments can mail things between, but you'd always have that circular issue of packages only instantly delivering clockwise and everything else has to filter through the cargo office and pray the cargo guy turned the belts on.
JDemms

Post by JDemms » #41661

Scott wrote:Cargo can have a delivery job, or Cargo Techs can do that, since it's already their job.
Yea, but that hinges on them not completely ignoring the delivery office at all times. That is, yknow, super duper common and all.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #41665

JDemms wrote:
Yea, but that hinges on them not completely ignoring the delivery office at all times. That is, yknow, super duper common and all.
It always makes me sad to see cargo techs ignoring the superior delivery chute system in favor of mules.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #41713

Nerfing vending machine food & adding Chef ability to restock vending machines with his foods sounds like an awesome combination!
Gives Chef more to do, and options to how to do it, maybe he can hire someone to work as a food-delivery-guy or do it himself, or serve them old-skool style on the counter. Maybe he could have an integrated vending machine food-status list on his PDA?

Having no Chef at roundstart could become somewhat the same as having zero Station Engineers at roundstart, sure it can be seen as "why we always need to do this tedious shit", or it can be one of the immersive, necessary things which keep things rolling on the station.
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #41783

Another idea to nerf vending machine food would be to give the message "you can't put more food down your throat" (that is usually given when you've eaten too much) if you eat too much of junk food at once. After quickly munching a pack of 4noraisin three times for example you won't be able to eat any more junk food despite the fact that you're not really full (you're just temporarily sick of the junk food and you'll be able to eat more after waiting a bit) but you can still eat healthy food all you want.

This prevents people from binge eating junk food, giving another advantage to the chef's food.
Last edited by phil235 on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #41865

That is a good idea, I like it. Leaves the option for chemists to grind down junk food to extract nutriment and make pills out of it.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #41867

The doesn't solve the problem at all. People will still eat all junk food, they'll just store some in their backpack and eat it later.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #41869

MisterPerson wrote:The doesn't solve the problem at all. People will still eat all junk food, they'll just store some in their backpack and eat it later.
Of course, this must be used with the lowered nutriment in junk food idea or something else. If we only lower the nutriment amount, people will just eat more 4noraisin per binge session in front of the vending machine. With my idea people can still fix their hunger with junk food, but it will require more time, effort and backpack storage. Whereas healthy food can be eaten quickly and contain a high amount of nutriment, which makes grabbing some food at the kitchen and storing it in your backpack for later the ideal strategy.
Last edited by phil235 on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
Scott
Github User

Post by Scott » #41870

Halve the nutriment content, do what phil suggested, suddenly junk food not viable to kill hunger.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #42373

Food buff
-Six levels of hunger: Starving, Hungry, Satisfied, Stuffed, and Fat
-Starving leaves you slowed (no change there) and causes all healing effects to be 30% less effective. More likely to catch diseases and are harder to cure.
-Hungry leaves you slightly slowed and causes all healing effects to be 10% less effective. Slightly more likely to catch diseases and they are slightly harder to cure.
-Satisfied. No change at all!
-Stuffed. Healing effects effect you 10% more. Slight resistance to catching diseases. Only eating prepared food (aka chef food) grants this state.
-Fat has all the standard negatives and positives. You can be stuffed and fat at the same time.
Random Players
Byond Username: Random Players

Post by Random Players » #42374

Halve nutriment is bad.
Instead, do a Civ V type method:
Mutiply all nutriment values by ten (including making it deplete ten times faster) and THEN modify the values of junk food (and other food in generel)

As it is, 4noraisins have 6 nutriment(I think)... and few types of food go past 10. And generally requires a bunch of stuff which makes just making burgers (6 Nutriment, I think once again) more viable for actually FEEDING.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #42375

soulgamer wrote:-Stuffed. Healing effects effect you 10% more. Slight resistance to catching diseases. Only eating prepared food (aka chef food) grants this state.
These sound awesome, but being stuffed should be bad, it would be more realistic. Like a movement speed reduction, on the edge that you'd have to think if eating too much would be worth it, with the risk of becoming fat too.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #42377

kosmos wrote: being stuffed should be bad
I meant stuffed as in pleasantly full, not stuffed as in bloated. However I understand the confusion.
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #42431

Giving the Chef the ability to add stuff to the vending machines is a good idea, but Chefs shouldn't be required to do that. I doubt people would trust the added food either. Personally, when I'm Chef I like when people eat by the counter (I make stools).
Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #42442

and give traitors an item that sabotages vending machines too. Some kind of syndicate refill pack that makes all the items in a vending machine do bad things. Poisoned snacks, drugged drinks, explosive cigars etc.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #42523

Alex Crimson wrote:and give traitors an item that sabotages vending machines too. Some kind of syndicate refill pack that makes all the items in a vending machine do bad things. Poisoned snacks, drugged drinks, explosive cigars etc.
So basically emag functionality.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Alex Crimson

Post by Alex Crimson » #42532

I dont think the emag needs any more features. Besides, that thing is designed to wreck electronics, not inject poison into vending machine items.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #42534

The Emag is the sonic screwdriver of SS13 man. It does everything.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus