[stickymayhem] 2Haku - Marathon Round Permanent Ban - Metagang.

Appeals which have been closed.
2Haku

[stickymayhem] 2Haku - Marathon Round Permanent Ban - Metagang.

Post by 2Haku » #425196

BYOND Account: 2Haku.
Character Name: Haku Idante.
Banning Admin: stickymayhem.
Ban Type: All /tg/station servers.
Ban Reason: “Started a piratepad during the marathon round. A blatant metagang, deliberately trying to start a metagroup to survive the round. The most obvious metacommunication possible. They're gone.”
Ban Length: Permanent.
Time ban was placed: 07:21:01 Server Time.
Server the ban was placed at the time: Bagil.
Your side of the story:

Basically, everyone was hyped for the huge Marathon Round, an event that would supposedly last around 8 hours maximum. The hype for it was pretty intense, with people planning to build their own stations, their own bases on lava land, whole different <insert here>s. All of this derived from many many different places, with it being OOC, Dead Chat, and Discord. There were many different groups planning to do what they wanted to do, but I took most of the groups and put them on a single string, named it “Science Gang.”, a group of Station Personel who would help us build a whole different, giant, self-sufficient station. This resulted in the creation of a Pirate Pad: “https://kirjoitusalusta.fi/sMq8ZG1jXN”, keep in mind this is not the real Pirate Pad due to the fact the real one was broken. This is the exact same link that was used, and this is where we had all our objectives and such written on it. It was basically a planning board for the Marathon Round, by over 10 people from several different groups. These groups were put together for a single task, which was explained before. Seeing people were talking about their plans and such, “I guess it’s an event round, rules might be a little more relaxed probably.”, with sticky’s announcement of “Normal rules will still apply” completely going over my head as I didn’t pay attention to it at the time cause I was distracted, greatly.

This resulted in basically this: https://imgur.com/a/fQniEnN

There were a lot of people and basically a lot of names, so we listed them there. The link for the pad was posted in OOC by me, for anyone to join if they wanted to be apart of this fun event project. However, this turned into an exponential amount of metagame as deemed by the admins. We all met IC’ly and greeted each other and immediately got to work, reinforcing all of Science and accepting newcomers, with me shortly after being immediately permabanned, and a little longer the others as well. The round did not last 8 hours, came to a short round of an average length of about around an hour and a half.

Why you think you should be unbanned: I apologize greatly for all of this, it will never happen again. This idea would’ve been great, but only if it was assembled in-character, rather than using OOC means. This could have been avoided if I simply just announced the project in-game and have it go from there, which could’ve been great, however the group took a wrong approach to this, resulting in an idea that was poorly executed. Again, truly sorry for this turning into a metagang, and I know that, that was absolutely unacceptable & frowned upon, and grants an unfair advantage over other players, as limited communication is one of the game’s factors. It will never happen again, as I know I’ll get the ban hammer again to the face if this occurs ever again. Meta-communications, meta-gaming, is absolutely not acceptable in any way, shape, or form.

Google Document Alternative: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GpW ... YVe8U/edit
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: [stickymayhem] 2Haku - Marathon Round Permanent Ban - Metagang.

Post by Stickymayhem » #425215

Obviously, this situation would have result in your group having an extremely unfair advantage over everyone else. You were coordinating outside the game during the round and that is always going to be treated harshly. That it marred what should have been a fun community event is also a shame.

Given that this was more ignorance than malice, I've spoken to the headmins, and we're reducing your ban to one month, given you were the organizer. See you then.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #425474

Hello there.

A few minutes ago, an account -created today- with the ckey "F1X" logged in Bagil, and it shared your same IP/CID (I also found out there's another ckey named "BJX" with your IP/CID).

Since this could be a case of ban evading, I have permabanned both accounts, and also the 2haku ckey pending your appeal. If this is a mistake, feel free to appeal this ban, but everything points to evading - which is harshly punished. I apologize in advance if this is a mistake, but you should know better.
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
G0lem
Byond Username: G0lem

Post by G0lem » #425500

Hi. I've been playing on /tg/ for a couple of weeks now. I feel emotional attachment to this user, so I feel obligated to understand the meaning behind the duration of this ban.

Preplanning being defined as metagaming is established. I get that. I feel like the gravity of this ban was designed to set an example as a display of power, because a large part of the users active during the marathon were trying to plan some large pet projects they wouldn't otherwise get to do or try.

This marathon is just one extremely long extended round, is it not? One which was DoA because of admemes and crashed in 90 minutes? A large part of the community was metagaming in discord in preparation for this event, and allegations that he was doing it for the purposes of survival are a stretch at best. Moreover, month bans for icc occing? Is there some precedent for this? Some policy? 24h or 48h bans I could understand, but this is a player with no history of griefing, grudging, or metagaming.

I'm deeply disappointed that you've now moved to ban a friend I've made in game for a victimless attempt at making something memorable during the marathon, when something like a scientist job ban or disabling the ooc verb would have matched the crime. Your forum rules don't allow for unrelated people to post in ban appeals, which is just as summarily asanine as this ban. I am very disappointed.
feem
Byond Username: Feemjmeem
Github Username: feemjmeem

Post by feem » #425509

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules
Do not use information gained outside of in character means.
I.e.. metagaming. This especially refers to communication between players outside of the game via things like Skype, known as metacomms. Characters are otherwise allowed to know everything about ingame mechanics or antagonists, as well as keep persistent friendships or relationships with other characters when not for the purpose of unfair advantage by teaming up together for little IC reason.
Metacomms, the use of methods of communication outside of SS13 IC channels, is a very serious rule violation and may be met with permanent bans for all related accounts. If players are sharing the same IP or know each other in real life or the like, inform the admins first, otherwise it may look suspicious. Players are allowed to introduce new players that they know to the game but all communication and explanations should be done in game if possible. Admins can also help in these situations if requested.
Additionally, this player has also now evaded their ban.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #425553

G0lem wrote:Hi. I've been playing on /tg/ for a couple of weeks now. I feel emotional attachment to this user, so I feel obligated to understand the meaning behind the duration of this ban.

Preplanning being defined as metagaming is established. I get that. I feel like the gravity of this ban was designed to set an example as a display of power, because a large part of the users active during the marathon were trying to plan some large pet projects they wouldn't otherwise get to do or try.

This marathon is just one extremely long extended round, is it not? One which was DoA because of admemes and crashed in 90 minutes? A large part of the community was metagaming in discord in preparation for this event, and allegations that he was doing it for the purposes of survival are a stretch at best. Moreover, month bans for icc occing? Is there some precedent for this? Some policy? 24h or 48h bans I could understand, but this is a player with no history of griefing, grudging, or metagaming.

I'm deeply disappointed that you've now moved to ban a friend I've made in game for a victimless attempt at making something memorable during the marathon, when something like a scientist job ban or disabling the ooc verb would have matched the crime. Your forum rules don't allow for unrelated people to post in ban appeals, which is just as summarily asanine as this ban. I am very disappointed.
Admins can stop someone from ickooking with an OOC ban. They can't stop, or even detect sometimes, metacomms. Thus they have to have a very large punishment, or everyone would do it.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #425735

G0lem wrote:Hi. I've been playing on /tg/ for a couple of weeks now. I feel emotional attachment to this user, so I feel obligated to understand the meaning behind the duration of this ban.

1. There was communication during the round, not backed by IC communication. Although dodgy, even something as simple as repeating phrases in-game would potentially cover this. They didn't do that. They gave each other instructions and followed them in game without IC communication. They made a list of people, a literal metafriend list, and gave everyone on that list full access to their department based on that list.

2. He then evaded, one day after appealing down to a month long ban. Metacommunication is a permaban, straight up. We gave him a second chance. One day later he evades the ban. He couldn't go one day following the rules before breaking them again.

He apparently has spoken to rustled, and rustled has decided to give him yet another chance, and keep the ban at a month at this point. Haku has been given more chances than anyone in his situation has ever been given to my memory.

Claiming this treatment is unfair or unreasonable is fucking ludicrous frankly.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #425808

Having spoken to Owegno and CitrusGender, we're keeping this as a permaban given you evaded literally a day after a more lenient ban was granted.