Is 'It's revs' really noteworthy when you have a high stress role

Uncle Bourbon
Byond Username: Uncle Bourbon

Is 'It's revs' really noteworthy when you have a high stress role

Post by Uncle Bourbon » #425598

If for example you are playing HoS, and are currently fighting for your life. Is it fair to get noted/eat a ban for trying to multitask between typing to alert your sec team and fending off said antag.
Especially since many weapons like a taser or ebow for example can easily stunlock you till they take off your headset or crit you.

Context matters of course, if some schmuck is sitting in bar with a drink telling everyone who walks by saying its revs, its wizard, ETC then yes give them a note/ban
I feel though in a life or death fight it should be a bit lenient if its a important role to the round.
I am literally captain sawrge. MY old forum account got banned sorry
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Is 'It's revs' really noteworthy when you have a high stress role

Post by BeeSting12 » #425603

No.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #425607

(Oh shit cazz is a chicken I didn't know this) I was the one who suggested this title when Cazz brought up about how taking 15-minute bans for accidentally making meta-gamey errors like saying "its revs" instead of "we have revs" when playing HoS and fighting in a high-stress role. I personally think admins should be more lienient to head of staff members. When making an error. These are my reasons for this

1.They use the shortened version because they don't have time to speak and could be attacked at any moment.

2. This is a low-rp server so banning people for making a tiny grammar mistake is really silly.

3. They aren't the virologist sitting inside a cozy two door bolted room. Who don't interact with people, give them a break.
► Show Spoiler
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #425613

the precedent last I remembered is yes and I believe it should stay yes. just say "revs" if you want.
edit: what i remember: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 77#p316576
Uncle Bourbon

Post by Uncle Bourbon » #425624

yes that is a valid point which i obviously do, or at least try to do cause i havent gotten ahelped about anything like that in a long time. but people make mistakes in intense situations. Being one hit from crit and another hit is coming right at you, you don't really have time to properly think what you are going to say and you might slip up trying to be a help to your crewmates/make sure your body will be found.
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #425626

I'd have to say that in most cases, with most admins dealing with most players, context will be considered and leniency will be offered in a situation where stress is high and the consideration of one's phrasing takes a back seat to immediate game situations.

However, leniency and context stop mattering as much on repeated offenses, and even head of staff during active revolution status doesn't immunize one from consequence should this not be the first, second, third, or even fifth time they've broken the rule. The like has to be drawn somewhere, context or no.

That all being said, "it's revs" is still an inherently OOC thing to say, since the "it" being referred to could only possibly be "the roundtype", which is an OOC concept. It takes less effort and less time to simply shout "REVS", which is something a person under fire might feasibly say to alert others to the situation.

One additional note I'd like to add, for reasons already known to the OP, is that the number of people who hypothetically care about enforcement of a given rule is never a good reason to claim the rule irrelevant.

edit because autocorrect made me say some nonsense
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #425637

tbh i'd honestly take to just pming them and not noting them unless i see the same guy doing it time after time at this point if anything because this is to me one of the less ""severe"" ooc in ic things.

edit: it's late and i'm sleepy but basically: this is one of the easier things to legitimately slip up about and i'd support not noting them if you think it was an accident unless you see them do it more than a once/afew times.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #425641

there is literally a shorter way to convey the information that isn't ocky icky as kevinz said, just say revs

even if it was literally the fastest way to say it winning shouldn't take precedent over not putting meta shit in ic
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #425642

This is a really stupid line to take. You can dig into the theory of it all you want, but at the end of the day you're literally fighting over the semantics of saying it's revs. It's a waste of time for everyone involved to squabble over something so supremely insignificant. I can guarantee you the admins have, or should have, more important things to do than pester players about something as stupid as this.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #425648

Nilons wrote: even if it was literally the fastest way to say it winning shouldn't take precedent over not putting meta shit in ic
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #425662

"There's revs" being ok and "its revs" not is a stupid distinction to make.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #425667

Ispiria wrote:
Spoiler:
I'd have to say that in most cases, with most admins dealing with most players, context will be considered and leniency will be offered in a situation where stress is high and the consideration of one's phrasing takes a back seat to immediate game situations.

However, leniency and context stop mattering as much on repeated offenses, and even head of staff during active revolution status doesn't immunize one from consequence should this not be the first, second, third, or even fifth time they've broken the rule. The like has to be drawn somewhere, context or no.

That all being said, "it's revs" is still an inherently OOC thing to say, since the "it" being referred to could only possibly be "the roundtype", which is an OOC concept. It takes less effort and less time to simply shout "REVS", which is something a person under fire might feasibly say to alert others to the situation.

One additional note I'd like to add, for reasons already known to the OP, is that the number of people who hypothetically care about enforcement of a given rule is never a good reason to claim the rule irrelevant.

edit because autocorrect made me say some nonsense
Ispi is right per ussual.

Additionally, quoting from precedent
PKPenguin321 wrote:Is it really so hard to say "There's a revolution" instead of "It's revs", or "shift" instead of "round"

Smack my head
I'm not trying to be lazy here, there is outlined precedent for this. There is leeway for high-stress situations, but I'm going to put my foot down here to retain some semblance of roleplay.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #425684

Roleplay is based on a lot of little things, so while it may seem minor to make distinctions regarding phrasing, the point of the issue is tha-

Pranked Ispi, I'm not seriousposting in this thread :^)
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Uncle Bourbon

Post by Uncle Bourbon » #425686

the entirety of tg is a prank set up by MSO to see a bunch of weebs cause drama
be sure to like favorite and subscribe for more epic pranks
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #425701

ShadowDimentio wrote:"There's revs" being ok and "its revs" not is a stupid distinction to make.
If it's so miniscule that it makes no difference to you, why not go with the one that keeps players who care about immersion immersed?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #425709

it really is stupid and I still disagree with it

it's litigation over a fukken comma and it doesn't even matter it barely affects the game because people understand and do the same thing either way.

I can't remember who went all policy superhero over it but they did it to make themself feel better about the falling roleplay standard instead of actually trying to tackle that problem.

Should be thrown in the trash heap
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #425730

ShadowDimentio wrote:This is a really stupid line to take. You can dig into the theory of it all you want, but at the end of the day you're literally fighting over the semantics of saying it's revs. It's a waste of time for everyone involved to squabble over something so supremely insignificant. I can guarantee you the admins have, or should have, more important things to do than pester players about something as stupid as this.
It's a matter of zero tolerance. It's necessary to educate players that no OOC reference, no matter how small, should be said IC.
Aloraydrel
Byond Username: Aloraydrel
Github Username: Aloraydrel

Post by Aloraydrel » #425795

"We have a revolution"
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #425796

Time to play debils advocate and say this. Real bias coming out of here. "It's revs" wouldn't be so common of a statement if everyone and there great grandfather didn't say it like once.

Making an accident and getting a 15 minute ban for it is really silly.
► Show Spoiler
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #425797

this is a stupid ban reason
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #425798

the admins pretending to defend it because it makes them look weak otherwise because they can't grow balls and accept that they make bad calls sometimes disappoints me
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #425799

PKPenguin321 wrote:
ShadowDimentio wrote:"There's revs" being ok and "its revs" not is a stupid distinction to make.
If it's so miniscule that it makes no difference to you, why not go with the one that keeps players who care about immersion immersed?
The issue itself makes no difference to me, but the admins fucking with players over something so stupid and small pisses me off.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #425801

Shadowflame909 wrote:Time to play debils advocate and say this. Real bias coming out of here. "It's revs" wouldn't be so common of a statement if everyone and there great grandfather didn't say it like once.

Making an accident and getting a 15 minute ban for it is really silly.
it is silly, which is why it very rarely happens if it was an accident and it was only once
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #425803

I doubt you'd get banned for saying "it's revs". It would be a bwoink or a note at most. Bwaah bwaah cry me a river
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #425806

One bwoink too many. And any notes you get will inevitably be stacked against you if you ever get banned, regardless of how fucking stupid the note is.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #425807

I bwoink for this every time. It's low effort and doesn't respect the bare minimum of roleplay we require.

When people say "it's revs" that is short hand for "The roundtype is revolution". Which is shorthand for "The roundtype is not X, because there are revs."

The logic of "There can't be a wizard/traitor/nuke op because we know the roundtype" is undoubtedly meta, and it's easy to fall into that trap with the phrase "its revs".

It's so simple to avoid confusion in this are that you should have no problem not doing it. Act like an antag and people will think you're an antag. Act like a metagamer and people will think you're a metagamer.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
MollyKristoph
Byond Username: MollyKristoph

Post by MollyKristoph » #425821

Trust me, there is a legitimate IC reason to say "It's revs"
Granted, it's not proper grammar, but to get on the case of metagaming knowledge in IC is utterly ridiculous. Is it metagaming knowledge to say "There's a wizard"? How about "There's xenos"? What about Nuke Ops war declaration?
What naturally comes to mind when you're dealing with revs is to say "It's revs" as in, "It's charlie," as a vietnam vet might say in regards to explaining why something bad happened, or who the culprit is.
Frankly, I disagree with this policy. Context matters. Vernacular matters.
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #425822

MollyKristoph wrote:Trust me, there is a legitimate IC reason to say "It's revs"
Granted, it's not proper grammar, but to get on the case of metagaming knowledge in IC is utterly ridiculous. Is it metagaming knowledge to say "There's a wizard"? How about "There's xenos"? What about Nuke Ops war declaration?
What naturally comes to mind when you're dealing with revs is to say "It's revs" as in, "It's charlie," as a vietnam vet might say in regards to explaining why something bad happened, or who the culprit is.
When someone says "it's revs" what do you think the 'it' is referring to
Signature Memes

Doritos
Byond Username: Zaross

Post by Doritos » #425823

what an insanely idiotic excuse to use to ban/note someone holy shit
lol
kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #425824

Why would we get rid of something considered part of the bare minimum of rp standards?
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #425825

MollyKristoph wrote:Trust me, there is a legitimate IC reason to say "It's revs"
it's actually a legacy of the old low-RP times, back when people used to utter the game mode out loud so that everyone knew what to do ("it's traitor" "it's changeling" "it's extended" and so on"). This is proved by the fact that even now, "IT'S REVS" and "REVS", albeit similar, have 2 completely different meanings:
"IT'S REVS": "the mode is confirmed to be revolution, start implanting people, order implants and follow the usual procedure for revolution"
"REVS": "there are people acting like revs in my immediate surroundings, they might just be assistants fucking around with flashes"

So yes, you are right in the fact that's it's a coded sentence, but a code that has its roots in OOC
Last edited by Grazyn on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #425826

Who the fuck has ever banned someone for this? You are crying about a made up situation because someone told you to stop referencing the game mode in IC. Obviously context is relevant in any ahelp, and if you can speak to an admin without acting like a sperglord it's not a problem.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #425827

So saying "its revs" is wrong because it outs the revs instantly instead of making sec think they probably have a revenant.

Yeah, I hope sec thanks you for that logic when they get stun prodded and murdered in maint

Also Subject, cazz got banned for it because he said "Its revs" 7 times in a eight month period. Which is why he made this thread
► Show Spoiler
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #425831

He is not banned for it, and he has not had a note or a ban for quite a while now.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #425832

if you, as sec, think about a revenant when someone shouts "REVS" then maybe you shouldn't play sec
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #425833

subject217 wrote:He is not banned for it, and he has not had a note or a ban for quite a while now.
He got temp banned for it
► Show Spoiler
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #425834

Shadowflame909 wrote:He got temp banned for it
Yeah, like a year ago. So is this a year old ban appeal for a 20 minute ban? Not to mention completely stripped of any context.
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #425836

subject217 wrote: if you can speak to an admin without acting like a sperglord it's not a problem.
consider that this is an ss13 forum
Signature Memes

Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #425839

subject217 wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:He got temp banned for it
Yeah, like a year ago. So is this a year old ban appeal for a 20 minute ban? Not to mention completely stripped of any context.
Probably. I'm not the one who made this thread. But, yeah people have gotten banned for saying "its revs" as HoS
► Show Spoiler
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #425840

Getting tempbanned as hos during revs is a blessing
CitrusGender
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: CitrusGender
Github Username: CitrusGender

Post by CitrusGender » #425847

Bans only happen when someone has messed up like 5 or more times, and even then it's often very lenient (ussually like 15 minutes to an hour.)

Additionally, this scenario is made up. I don't see the problem here. I am reaffirming PKP's precedent.