Traitor Objective: The Exchange

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Traitor Objective: The Exchange

Post by Ikarrus » #3364

An alternative traitor objective I came up with to bring some variety other than steal this/kill that, with some RP merit.

---------------

You are the Traitor!
Objective 1: Acquire the [Blue Documents] held by Smith McGrey, the Syndicate Agent
Objective 2: Escape Alive

In your backpack is a folder containing [Red Documents] that Smith McGrey's employers want. We have set up an meeting with their agent to exchange these documents, but your objective is to acquire the other documents at any cost. Expect the worst, as the other agent cannot be trusted to cooperate.

--------------

And if we want to add another layer of paranoia, there could be a small (~20%) chance that one or both of the agents will have an additional objective:

You are the Traitor!
Objective 1: Acquire the [Blue Documents] held by Smith McGrey, the Syndicate Agent.
Objective 2: Retain posession of the [Red Documents].
Objective 3: Escape alive

--------------

Thoughts?
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Re: Traitor Objective: The Exchange

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #3368

I like it. But what happens if someone has elected to spawn without a backpack/satchel?
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #3369

That's a simple matter to resolve. It would just spawn in another slot, like rev flashes or cult items.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Munchlax
Byond Username: Lobstercake

Post by Munchlax » #3377

I love the idea, havent really got anymore feedback for improvement.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #3395

This is totally based off of Sub Rosa, isn't it.
I love it. Maybe Double Agents should be replaced with something similar to this?
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Rockdtben
Site Admin
Byond Username: Rockdtben
Github Username: Rockdtben

Post by Rockdtben » #3398

This is a very cool idea.

Is there a way we could make sure that they don't always try to kill each other? Ideas?
Custom Software Solutions, Mentorship, and game development ----> Main Site
Game Master: 03/24/2022 - Now || Domain Holder: 04/15/2014 - 03/24/2022 || Code Project Lead: 02/01/2014 - 10/07/2014 || G-Admin: 12/29/2013 - 04/04/2015 || T-Admin: 3/29/2013 - 12/29/2013 || Codermin: ? - 3/29/2013 || Started Playing: 6/13/2006 || "Took no shit from shitters" - MrStonedOne
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #3400

You could add in something that your item needs to be made off the station with the other guy.
Hey.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #3406

I was hoping they'd take measures against the other person stealing the docs by force, whether by stashing the papers somewhere else or otherwise. They are given the name of the other party up front, so they theoretically will be very hard to take by surprise.

I'd like to see scenarios such as agreeing to meet in a public place to make the exchange in plain sight, and exchanging folders/backpacks to make the exchange more discreet. But this also carries the risk of the other person stuffing the backpack with a decoy... or worse a bomb.

Honestly, though, I was more concerned about the players being too cooperative than the other way around.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #3407

subrosa is bomb as fuck
this sounds like a really interesting objective.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #3415

Shitlorde McMeta says [149.5], "URIST MCTRAITOR IS A TATOR HE HAS DOCUMENTS SECURITY"
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #3416

fuck.
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #3417

Why would you just give your objective to security though? Why would you just out yourself like that?
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #3418

Why do people do just that in double agent?
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #3420

They're idiots, then. In this case they're screwin themselves in addition to dicking over the other guy. I'd consider it something worthy of admin attention.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #3424

To keep people from trying to get the documents really easily by calling the other guy out, maybe the documents could give a decent amount of points for cargo if they get shipped to Centcom, and maybe a few other goodies on the next delivery for free? That way, the station has a good reason to just not let traitors walk off with them if they can help it
Anton Raginovsky

Post by Anton Raginovsky » #3463

Hows this for an idea? Three traitors, and each of them have a folder. One and Two both require Three's folder, but Three can take either of theirs.
Image Image
Image Image
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #3465

Random search:
"Lieutenant, sir, we found red folder in his backpack!"
"My God... Harmbaton this son of a bitch, sergeant."
"Yes, sir. With pleasure, sir."
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #3510

I think I have a solution.

You have to trade PDAs unlocked with a special code.

Random searches won't find it but a PDA swap will be a soft tell, as well as having to carry around someone else's PDA for the rest of the round.

They won't kill each other because they need it unlocked
Searches will be safe
No issues with spawning the item at roundstart.

I also think that Antons idea is awesome. It promotes both violence and espionage, and keeps everyone in the dark about who they can trust.

This is almost a complex enough idea to be a gamemode in itself, like a stealthy capture the flag/vip with an ever omnipresent security watching the greytide make their little deals.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #3528

Here's an idea: Give both agents the same uplink unlock code and let the unlocked PDA work as a pinpointer to your own documents. That gives even more incentive to betray the other agent, allows you to hide your documents somewhere on the station to be safe from random searches or find the documents of the other agent if they decided to hide them aswell.

Killing the other agent would enable the option to track their PDA in case they hid it somewhere. This would completely remove the possibility to meta this mode by tossing your own documents/pda into a very hard to find spot just to deny the other agent their greentext.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #3831

If we did this though, could we have their syndicate uplink be their radio, and the documents on their PDA?
Or would this just lead to more officers confiscating radios, and be bad news for anyone who ends up in Perma?
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #4092

Anton's idea could be expanded into a gamemode replacing double agent. Here's the idea:

X spies with codenames. Mr. Blue Mr. Red, etc... ( the X number depends on the server population, minimum 5)
Each spy has a syndicate uplink (probably with the same items as double agent) from which it can spawn (for 0 TC and only once) their document.
Each spy's codename matches their own document (probably by adding color in document description, name or sprite) which can be used to identify the spy's codename (unless it's not his document of course).
Each spy knows their own uplink frequency (like regular traitors) but also have the uplink frequency of another spy which is only refered to by his codename. And lastly each spy knows the real name of another spy (but not their codename).

The goal of each spy is to get either one or two documents (50% chance) (doesn't matter which ones as long as it's not their own) and get out alive.

The objectives would look like this:

You are the Spy!
Your codename is Agent Green. Your employers have cunningly disguised a Syndicate Uplink as your PDA. Simply dial the frequency "206 Alpha". You can use the uplink to receive a document for trading purposes. Intelligence reports state that the uplink frequency of Agent Blue is "331 Omega" and that Sally Greyshirt is a spy. Code Phrase: Beepsky, watermelon, blabla.
Objective 1: Acquire a document from another Spy.
Objective 2: Acquire a second document from another Spy.
Objective 3: Escape alive.

Pros:

* Not starting directly with your document reduces possible metagaming/security finding your document.
* The backstab potential is reasonnable: it's impossible for every spy to win (unless no spies has to steal two documents) but too many spies killed might mean you might no be able to unlock more than one PDA uplink and get documents.
* Knowing another spy's uplink frequency prevents mass spy deaths from automatically ruining the round.
* codenames prevent spies from automatically killing the spy whose uplink activation code they know. It also allows impersonation.
* The objective not requiring a specific document prevent a spy from being fucked when their target document is taken by security, launched in space or destroyed.
* You have a good incentive to only spawn your document right before an exchange as only one spy knows your activation code
* Each spy doesn't know how many spies there are, or who has their uplink frequency or knows their name.

Cons:

* Hiding or spacing your PDA and documents can become a problem.
* lots of potential metagaming and murder on the escape pods/shuttle.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #4101

phil235 wrote: lots of potential metagaming and murder on the escape pods/shuttle.
So... the usual?
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #4157

One suggestion that was on IRC is to have meeting points established in people's objectives so they already know where, just not who to exchange with; and then in SubRosa style two people might turn up and one of them tries to kill you etc. Also have it so the meetings are organized to occur at a specific time or after a certain event, like the death of Ian. I prefer the latter since that means someone has to go off an actually make that event happen rather than waiting around like a bum.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #4158

As much as I love that idea, it doesn't account for one of the parties not being interested enough to show up to the meeting, or going AFK.

I do want to keep the objective simple for now and not have to code in a bunch of safeguards just yet. Not until I can get some live testing first, at least. Even then, I'd prefer elegant solutions that doesn't require too much mechanical knowledge from the player.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #4276

What if the agent only got the department (Service, Cargo, Medical, etc.) their partner was in, not their names? That way they'd actually have to use the code words and RP, and it'd add more leeway for backstabbing.

It might also be useful to have an optional objective to retrieve the roundstart confidential CentComm intel report and attach it to the documents. Again, for fluff, and to make things a little more interesting.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #4280

bandit wrote:What if the agent only got the department (Service, Cargo, Medical, etc.) their partner was in, not their names? That way they'd actually have to use the code words and RP, and it'd add more leeway for backstabbing.

It might also be useful to have an optional objective to retrieve the roundstart confidential CentComm intel report and attach it to the documents. Again, for fluff, and to make things a little more interesting.
Your Spybuddy is in Medbay!
>Spend 30m in medbay chatting up various doctors
>Flirt with the anime-haired stutternurse
>Ask about the CMO's family dog
>Take drugs with the chemist
>Subtley drop codewords the whole time
>Nobody picks up on them
>Round-end comes along, you still haven't made contact
>It was the Virologist
>"We had a virologist?"
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Kelenius
Byond Username: Kelenius

Post by Kelenius » #4291

Psyentific wrote:
bandit wrote:What if the agent only got the department (Service, Cargo, Medical, etc.) their partner was in, not their names? That way they'd actually have to use the code words and RP, and it'd add more leeway for backstabbing.

Your Spybuddy is in Medbay!
>Spend 30m in medbay chatting up various doctors
>Flirt with the anime-haired stutternurse
>Ask about the CMO's family dog
>Take drugs with the chemist
>Subtley drop codewords the whole time
>Nobody picks up on them
>Round-end comes along, you still haven't made contact
>It was the Virologist
>"We had a virologist?"
Alternately
>He has been waiting for you at your department.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #4295

Kelenius wrote: Alternately
>He has been waiting for you at your department.
>You would have passed each other in the halls but you each took the other hall to be more roundabout and less obvious.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Anton Raginovsky

Post by Anton Raginovsky » #4311

Would it be possible for the documents to give you secondary objectives? That way getting together would be a higher priority, because the faster you get the documents, the more likely you'll succeed at your objectives.
Image Image
Image Image
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #4439

This would work a lot better if we got rid of that auto blue security level bullshit at round start.

Maybe potentially possibly spawn them at different spots on the station randomly at round start, maybe even outside of tator rounds.

Or maybe even on random people including non antags?

Point is, with this player base, you need to do something to shake the meta up.
/vg/station Head Admin
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #4502

I like the idea of people having a chance to spawn outside there department in public areas.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.