How do we make ss13 more immersive?

I cast magic missile at the darkness
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

How do we make ss13 more immersive?

Post by paprika » #32872

I know you faggots love roleplaying. You love immersing yourself in the cold metal box of ss13. You love filling out paperwork to get paint buckets to make all the floor tiles in the chapel pink and holding ceremonies to summon Purple Giants.

How do we make the game (or at least the /tg/ station servers) more immersive or encourage roleplay? How do we encourage the kinds of scenarios that yielded the HUGE greentext stories we used to have (and still do to a minor extent on /vg/)?

Hard mode: No rule changes, no new server policies.

Elder god mode:
Spoiler:
No new mutant races
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Mat13295
Byond Username: Mat13295

Re: How do we make ss13 more immersive?

Post by Mat13295 » #32881

Add features that encourage RP like permanent record keeping like med records, employment records, sec records etc instead of just being something you can fuck with for people to go "Hurr hurr 150 yr old with faggititus"

E: Bay actually just added some neat little character setup options like Citizenship, religion, Solar system that would also work.
I don't even play here anymore, hue.
kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

Post by kosmos » #32885

The game could be much more immersive through higher quality visual and audio ambience.

Different lightning color ambience in different departments. For example different color temperatures, Medbay having high color temp (blueish and very bright) and maint tunnels having very low (reddish and dark), Singularity glowing purple light and Gravity Generator glowing green light etc.

And higher quality ambient sounds, distinctive to different departments as well.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #33171

kosmos wrote:The game could be much more immersive through higher quality visual and audio ambience.

Different lightning color ambience in different departments. For example different color temperatures, Medbay having high color temp (blueish and very bright) and maint tunnels having very low (reddish and dark), Singularity glowing purple light and Gravity Generator glowing green light etc.

And higher quality ambient sounds, distinctive to different departments as well.
Pretty much this.
rosello

Post by rosello » #33872

Adding flavour text on examining characters would go a long way. Permanent medical/security records would be cool too.
wake me up before you jojo
Marshall/Mira Mudskipper, Bethan/Renni Ashbird, Trish/Susan Gecko, Mia Karp/K.A.R.P, Elliot Spark, Adriana/Octavia Spiral, Mimi Mime, Violet Caterpillar, Eve Steel, Bethan Butterfly
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Post by Lovecraft » #33878

Has Medical been worked with so it's in depth or can everyone just waltz in and patch themselves up still?
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Hellafied
Byond Username: The-White-Crayon

Post by Hellafied » #34494

rosello wrote:Adding flavour text on examining characters would go a long way. Permanent medical/security records would be cool too.
Yes
Image ImageImage
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #34508

Hellafied wrote:
rosello wrote:Adding flavour text on examining characters would go a long way. Permanent medical/security records would be cool too.
Yes
:^)
vonharden

Post by vonharden » #34610

i did not read your post but i think it would be great if there was more restricted vision, i.e. not being able to see anything behind you and maybe your direct sides.
jedermann sein eigner fussball
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #34614

Oculus Rift.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #34617

vonharden wrote:i did not read your post but i think it would be great if there was more restricted vision, i.e. not being able to see anything behind you and maybe your direct sides.
I'd like to try this out for a little while and see what it does for the gameplay.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Antonkr
Byond Username: Antonkr

Post by Antonkr » #38096

Better ambient sounds for fires as well as station damage.
No longer an admin by own free will. Feel free to add me on steam.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #38141

Violaceus wrote:
paprika wrote:
vonharden wrote:i did not read your post but i think it would be great if there was more restricted vision, i.e. not being able to see anything behind you and maybe your direct sides.
I'd like to try this out for a little while and see what it does for the gameplay.
me also

Also: glass should block hearing
while wearing gasmask your voice should be something like "Hhhgrello blgfwherhe is hrflcapgrain?"
You got that from straykitties spess marines
The future is horrible!
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #38260

Antonkr wrote:Better ambient sounds for fires as well as station damage.
I'd actually really like to hear this happen.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #38326

Bay has this real nice yellow lighting that comes off plasma fires, really bright. Makes stuff like hall fires or burn chambers look a lot cooler and makes sense, seeing how plasma can burn hot enough in a chamber to might as well be compressed sun-in-a-can.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

Post by Maccus » #38585

Vaccinate everyone as a child so they can get the autism required to be fully immersed in SS13.
Spoiler:
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #38586

ambient lighting, yo
Kot
Byond Username: KotMroku

Post by Kot » #42438

ERP verbs.
An0n3 wrote:ARGH LETS YIFF MATEY
Shores Of Hazeron
1999-2014
;_;7
Kuraudo
Byond Username: Arumashi

Post by Kuraudo » #42508

Implement a money and salary system. So you can corrupt people, and do shit to earn €€€/$$$

Salary gets transfered on your account every hour or so. Your Credit Card is your ID.
The amount of your salary is set by default and linked to your job. Lowest wage is assistant, highest is the Captain.
The HoP and the Captain can change the crew's salaries.

You'll have to pay for the items in the vending machines, except if the machine is hacked, or code red is in effect (Easier to fight the blobs)
"He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are brigged."
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #42546

Three words: Oculus rift support.

No but seriously add more interdepartmental interaction. Too much content is contained entirely within a department and that is really unhealthy for the station and causes people to sit on their ass playing with subsystems or going out looking for trouble.

A needs system like in The Ship would work with a station re-design. Make sure all of the needs can be met in an automated way and that you don't have to travel too far to meet them but do need to go to a hub of some sort to do so.

Neither of these features will happen because players despise them, despite the fact that they result in outcomes that players enjoy.
CSPAN
Byond Username: CSPAN

Post by CSPAN » #42549

Kuraudo wrote:Implement a money and salary system. So you can corrupt people, and do shit to earn €€€/$$$

Salary gets transfered on your account every hour or so. Your Credit Card is your ID.
The amount of your salary is set by default and linked to your job. Lowest wage is assistant, highest is the Captain.
The HoP and the Captain can change the crew's salaries.

You'll have to pay for the items in the vending machines, except if the machine is hacked, or code red is in effect (Easier to fight the blobs)
I would really enjoy a system like this, especially if it was fairly complex and lead to many hijinks.
Player of: Jay Bodega
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #42579

VOIP
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #43187

A removal of tense/serious moments being ruined by some ear-rape 16-bit midi track that someone thinks is "suiting".

On a more serious note, there should be some incentive for Security actually prosecuting and holding trial, rather than searching someone's bag and mumbling "Mmm yeah perma". I think properly done trials can be really fun, especially as roles relevant to them, such as the Detective or Lawyer (The latter of which has a good chance of being shafted all round because most HoS' don't want to waste time - They have quotas to meet.)
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #43189

Cecily wrote:A removal of tense/serious moments being ruined by some ear-rape 16-bit midi track that someone thinks is "suiting".
You can turn admin MIDIs off, unless you do at least like more atmospheric choices of music.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #43191

Cecily wrote:A removal of tense/serious moments being ruined by some ear-rape 16-bit midi track that someone thinks is "suiting".

On a more serious note, there should be some incentive for Security actually prosecuting and holding trial, rather than searching someone's bag and mumbling "Mmm yeah perma". I think properly done trials can be really fun, especially as roles relevant to them, such as the Detective or Lawyer (The latter of which has a good chance of being shafted all round because most HoS' don't want to waste time - They have quotas to meet.)
The problem is the absolute vast majority of criminal cases have no room for interpretation. There's no ambiguity or doubt on who committed the crime nor is Security held to a Government/Corporation standard to hold criminal or civil trials. One can make the assumption that a trial is held for the suspect once they reach central command. When someone is arrested they are either thrown in jail or released.

In addition, the amount of time effort it takes to hold a trial means a standard trial for one person can take up to half an hour or so. Maybe if there was a set trial procedure in place to streamline it then trials might be more attractive, since right now its all made up on the spot, usually by the Captain. Not to mention that for every Security Officer or the Head of Security that is preoccupied with the trial, that's less boots on the ground keeping things secure. In almost every trial I've ever been a apart of a antagonist has done something very bad while most of Security was preoccupied with the trial.
Scones

Post by Scones » #43194

Steelpoint wrote: The problem is the absolute vast majority of criminal cases have no room for interpretation. There's no ambiguity or doubt on who committed the crime nor is Security held to a Government/Corporation standard to hold criminal or civil trials. One can make the assumption that a trial is held for the suspect once they reach central command. When someone is arrested they are either thrown in jail or released.

In addition, the amount of time effort it takes to hold a trial means a standard trial for one person can take up to half an hour or so. Maybe if there was a set trial procedure in place to streamline it then trials might be more attractive, since right now its all made up on the spot, usually by the Captain. Not to mention that for every Security Officer or the Head of Security that is preoccupied with the trial, that's less boots on the ground keeping things secure. In almost every trial I've ever been a apart of a antagonist has done something very bad while most of Security was preoccupied with the trial.
Very valid points. I think if someone actually took time to write court procedures and a set of scenarios wherein it is appropriate to hold trial, something could come of it. But yes, it is true that the only processing a prisoner can realistically get is a sentencing from the Warden/HoS/Officer bringing them in due to the presence of multiple threats to the station operating at once.
I can't help but feel bad for the people who play Lawyer, considering they can't do their job the vast majority of the time.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #44085

Ikarrus wrote:VOIP
This would be great, give it to heads for announcements (and a robotic voice filter for the AI player). *DING DONG* Attention, everyone, this is your Captain speaking. The word "Comdom" is now a punishable offense. That is all. *DING DONG*.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #44291

Gun Hog wrote:
Ikarrus wrote:VOIP
This would be great, give it to heads for announcements (and a robotic voice filter for the AI player). *DING DONG* Attention, everyone, this is your Captain speaking. The word "Comdom" is now a punishable offense. That is all. *DING DONG*.
Or
DING DONG* aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassa DING DONG*
The future is horrible!
Scones

Post by Scones » #44398

Violaceus wrote:That would be funny to hear voices of players.

Or non-english players, like me.
It would be pretty funny but I think everyone would grow a little hoarse from screaming 'GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WORKPLACE' to every chucklefuck who breaks a window or two so he can hump the protolathe/particle accelerator/permabrig doors/cryo units/cargo console
Preamble
Byond Username: Preamble

Post by Preamble » #47926

If you die ingame you have to commit suicide in real life too.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #48032

Cecily wrote:
Steelpoint wrote: The problem is the absolute vast majority of criminal cases have no room for interpretation. There's no ambiguity or doubt on who committed the crime nor is Security held to a Government/Corporation standard to hold criminal or civil trials. One can make the assumption that a trial is held for the suspect once they reach central command. When someone is arrested they are either thrown in jail or released.

Very valid points. I think if someone actually took time to write court procedures and a set of scenarios wherein it is appropriate to hold trial, something could come of it. But yes, it is true that the only processing a prisoner can realistically get is a sentencing from the Warden/HoS/Officer bringing them in due to the presence of multiple threats to the station operating at once.
I can't help but feel bad for the people who play Lawyer, considering they can't do their job the vast majority of the time.
You are actually supposed to hold a trial before you can carry out a capital punishment, and that includes permabrigging.

To be honest I think we would significantly increase the number of trials held if lawyers and HoSes had the ability to loudly exclaim OBJECTION!
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
Hornygranny
Horny Police
Byond Username: Hornygranny

Post by Hornygranny » #48036

Ricotez wrote:You are actually supposed to hold a trial before you can carry out a capital punishment, and that includes permabrigging.
not in the rules

topic: more sounds, more user feedback from doing stuff
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #48050

Hornygranny wrote:more sounds
This is very important actually.

They say that sound is half the experience in films. And I'm sure many of you can think of some examples of other films and games where it was essentially carrying the rest of the media, or alternatively, shitty sound design ruining an otherwise excellent experience.

Having higher quality sounds, and more of them, will definitely further the goal of making the game more immersive.

And it doesn't require any coding experience whatsoever.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?