Oversight in Silicon Policy

Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Oversight in Silicon Policy

Post by Anonmare » #434905

For some reason, silicon policy has overlooked catatonic Humans. Back in the day, Longbowman gave me the definition as "Catatonics are assumed to have volunteered for anything that have happened to them, up to and including death, unless you hear from them otherwise".

I'd like that definition addended to the "Asimov & Human Harm" subtitle to correct the oversight and so that it can be referred to when some memer "rescues" the monkeymen from Genetics.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Re: Oversight in Silicon Policy

Post by NoxVS » #434907

Silicon policy already says NPCs (Non-player characters) are nonhuman so I assume catatonics are already covered under that considering it’s a character not controlled by a player.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #434912

I want to say catatonics were always non human, as far as rules are concerned, but you could still IC through it (if say someone harmed a catatonic person, you could roll with it normally Asimov style).
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #434914

Lumbermancer wrote:I want to say catatonics were always non human, as far as rules are concerned, but you could still IC through it (if say someone harmed a catatonic person, you could roll with it normally Asimov style).
How do you roll with it unless they say 'actually he's not alive/catatonic/changeling'? If you think they're a human and it's not a joke like 'that lizardman is human' then wouldn't it break law two to suddenly go 'jk guys he's not human'
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #434917

It's a Rule 1 issue, just like how AIs also don't "know" that the prisoner transfer room is the execution chamber, even though it's perfectly obvious, because otherwise they would be obligated to be a cunt about it
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #434921

how does an AI tell who is/is not catatonic?

I can see genetics being a handwave but other than that the ai doesn't actually know.

EDIT: compared to being braindead
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #434924

Ayy Lemoh wrote:How do you roll with it unless they say 'actually he's not alive/catatonic/changeling'?
Your borgs inspect it. Never assume.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #435041

I remember XISC used to bolt and power down genetics at roundstart back in the day because "they are harming humans" (and the cathatonic description didn't even exist yet), I thought policy had since been updated to prevent that because it clearly falls under "don't be a dick".

My guess is new players are doing this because they think they are so smart to have discovered a way to fuck with other people while staying inside the rules. Pretty much any older player would know this isn't allowed without having to check every nook and cranny of silicon policy.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #435042

Grazyn wrote:I remember XISC used to bolt and power down genetics at roundstart back in the day because "they are harming humans" (and the cathatonic description didn't even exist yet), I thought policy had since been updated to prevent that because it clearly falls under "don't be a dick".

My guess is new players are doing this because they think they are so smart to have discovered a way to fuck with other people while staying inside the rules. Pretty much any older player would know this isn't allowed without having to check every nook and cranny of silicon policy.
that was like 20 years before pandarsenic made silicon policy and 15 years before the list with NPC stuff was added to that
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #435044

Now that I think of it, XISC wasn't even consistent in his harassment. One round he would harass toxins, bolting it down and everything because "bombs are harmful", he'd call security on scientists when they tried to hack in and basically turn their round into a living hell. Next round he'd leave toxins alone but focus entirely on genetics. Man those were the times.
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #435045

I liked purged AIs plasma flooding right away as a reaction to having been enslaved
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #435059

I've never heard of Catatonics being an exception to law 1. What if your client crashes? That gives a borg an excuse to outright murder you? There's way too much leeway for abuse with claiming someone is SSD.
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #435068

Anuv wrote:I've never heard of Catatonics being an exception to law 1. What if your client crashes? That gives a borg an excuse to outright murder you? There's way too much leeway for abuse with claiming someone is SSD.
on this server thats just vacant/braindead, cacatonic is only for people who ghosted and left the round permanently
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #435284

Anuv wrote:I've never heard of Catatonics being an exception to law 1. What if your client crashes? That gives a borg an excuse to outright murder you? There's way too much leeway for abuse with claiming someone is SSD.
Catatonic, not braindead.

Braindead is AFK
Catatonic is when you type "ghost" and can't rejoin the round as that person (exceptions being slimebodies and Cultists and Wizards in astral projection)