[poll] Old armor vs new armor

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Which do you prefer?

New Armor
18%
New Armor
18%
New Armor
18%
Old Armor
14%
Old Armor
14%
Old Armor
14%
Abstain
1%
Abstain
1%
Abstain
1%

Total votes: 135

paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

[poll] Old armor vs new armor

Post by paprika » #43091

Warning: This is really an explicitly oldfag opinion rant thread.

Basically I just want to know the opinions of people who've been around a long time about whether or not you prefer the new, PMC-style security contractor style security, or you think the old style was better.

This thread is directly about both the standard helmet and the body armor.

I don't really have mob-equipped sprites on hand but something can be said about how old shitty helmets and armor used to look. I'm not planning on anything currently as far as sprite changes, but I'd like to know, because it's little things like this that shape our game and its aesthetic.

If you're unfamiliar with the old armor, you can easily see it on laser tag helmets, the detective's body armor, or the bulletproof vest in the armory.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Re: [poll] Old armor vs new armor

Post by iyaerP » #43098

I really liked the old armour a lot better for both the helms and the bodypiece. The new one looks too pointy. Even just getting rid of the three black pixels above the glasses would help it a lot.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #43099

I prefer the new armour simply because the new armour appears more serious in tone while the old armour looked more goofy in appearance, as well as slightly fat.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #43101

The fat thing was because the armpit pixels were covered up which is easily changed, I already did it for the detective's armor in my open PR, and it makes the armor look less wide in general. The power only a few pixels have over sprites like this is massive.

I think over-seriousing sec with ausops sprites have kind of detracted from the 'friendly but robust' hidden tiger thing and made them really hostile and aggressive by default. I dunno, from what I've observed, people have just been more aggressive in general due to faceless sec stuff. People will always play shitcurity just because it's funny to them, but meh, the military combat helmets and the extremely dark use of color instead of the greyer metal looking pallete for sec has made them look really shady IMO. Don't get me wrong they look badass, but the combat armor feels out of space on the lighter tone of the space station. Not to mention it looks weird with the HoP/bartender :/
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #43102

I think the gas mask is more of a contributor to the faceless goon look more than anything.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #43103

Well I've already dealt with the gas mask since you can hang it around your neck and it doesn't cover your whole face anymore (pls merge my PR)

Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #43106

Well if we're going with that gas mask, I think the new helmet color scheme goes better with it, though the visor looks kind of tiny.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #43125

As far as the gasmask goes, it is far more usefull/fun for the STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM element than the faceless goon element. Although that can also be fun.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #43128

The main point of the gasmask mechanically is to conceal your face, not for security to look cool.

Security breather masks work if you want to have a more aggressive black mask for security you could have it be a unique spawn for them, but every unique cosmetic makes blending in harder and harder. Remember that the more unique you make something look the more actual effect it has on gameplay. Unique face coverings in my opinion are really terrible because it makes it impossible for a traitor to disguise themselves as someone who starts equipped with them.
Apsis

Post by Apsis » #43145

I like the new sprites way better. The old ones made me look like a dumb idiot rather than a cool security officer. You've been nicely improving the new stuff, so I dunno why you'd want the old sprites to even come back.

Also the security gasmask is cool.
Perakp
Byond Username: Perakp

Post by Perakp » #43149

paprika wrote: Image
Looks a lot like
Spoiler:
Not sure if good or bad.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #43160

On the issue of Pap's alternative Sec Gas Mask. I like it but I would prefer if both styles are in the game in some capacity, even if we just left a few of the current masks in the Armoury.
Wizardjenkins66
Byond Username: Wizardjenkins66

Post by Wizardjenkins66 » #43201

I'm just going to point out that the Syndicate Mob Sprites still wear the old armor and helmet, So either someone needs to fix that sprite or we need to bring back the old armor and helmets.
EDIT: I honestly prefer old helm, New Armor. Maybe we could keep new armor as standard, but add the old as a Cargo order or something?
Last edited by Wizardjenkins66 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Violaceus wrote: Mining smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to man- and lizard-kind. Katanas are thrice as sharp as eswords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything an esword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a durand mech with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why Syndicate never bothered conquering Mining? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined miners and their katanas of destruction.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #43206

Simple mobs use a retarded preset sprite that you have to remake every time you change ANYTHING about the items they're wearing, and to put it simply, fuck that shit.
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #43240

I actually prefer the old helmet but I prefer the new armored vest

Perhaps if you could make them both look like they use the same style? Make the helmet more black and the vest, less black? So the colours match

Also the old helmet you show is the SWAT helmet, not the regular sec helmet, you might want to show that
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #43254

It's exactly the same but the visor isn't blue
Kavaloosh

Post by Kavaloosh » #43280

the old armor looked nicer and the new armor only looks proper on people with security belts
Confront them with annihilation, and they will then survive; plunge them into a deadly situation, and they will then live. When people fall into danger, they are then able to strive for victory.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #43284

I feel like combining the aesthetic styles of both armors is a good idea here, as in, lighter grey armor and lighter grey helmets but the more detailed shading of the new armors. IDK, in a week or so I'll draw up some concepts of what it'd look like on mobs/in game.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #43288

the new helmets still look like bicycle helmets
that is my only complaint on the new sprites, otherwise theyre a vast improvement on the old ones
the detective's alt armor should stay the same though since its unique, unless someone makes a really cool one
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #43409

The helmet is really my only complaint about the new armor. It is too egg shaped.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #43414

Yeah one pixel shorter and it would look less coneheady.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #43417

Ironically, this is the same shape that the old helmets used to have:

But this is a really easy edit to make on all the helmets if it's something people want. It looks really good with the new rebreather-type gas masks I made out of the old ausops ones for security, too.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #43419

I would vote for shortnew if it was an option, looks great.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #43443

I absolutely cannot stand the new armor as it is right now. It's mainly due to spriting reasons, they're very poorly drawn. The armor is shifted far too high up (covering the entire neck and none of the abdomen), the contrast in the colors is far too muted so you can't tell any of the details apart, and it can be easily confused with the bulletproof armor which already has the same ribbed/stripped design. the helmet is much too tall (though paprika's little edit there is a big improvement), again the colors are far too dark and hard to tell apart, and although I don't mind the visor/glasses they're very small.

I also don't like the current sec jumpsuit, as it's very grey compared to the wonderfully saturated crimson on the old suits.

Though I do like the kneepads.

For a comparison:

I'm not saying the old sprites were perfect or anything, but there's a lot of things the new ones aren't doing as well as the previous ones. How about a mix?
Because the current armor covers the entire god damned kneck. It's practically touching the lips. You can't see it due to the helmet. Take the helmet off and it looks extremely goofy.

Keep the new kneepads, take the old armor (with some tweaking), take the shrunken down new helmet (with some brighter colors), take the old uniform's more saturated colors.

Everyone should be happy!
Apparently I was an director or something.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #43444

When I look at the old helmet head on it looks like there is almost no actual helmet and it's just glass.

Ultimantly it come's down to opinion, but personally I prefer the new armour appearance simply because it portrays a more serious tone. The old armour looks more casual, something to expect from a mall cop (Or more accurately a Goonstation Security Officer) whereas our new armour looks more serious in tone and ready to confront a deadly force (AKA, /tg/ station Security Officer).
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #43490

Old Helm with New Vest seems alright with me. makes security more intimidating!
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
miggles

Post by miggles » #43677

jesus just looking at the old sprites i take back everything i said about them being even remotely good
the helmet edit is perfect, thats really all you need
WJ, you know enough about spriting to not be crazy enough to actually think the old armor looks good
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #43696

Again, the old armor is not at all perfect, but I know enough that the new armor should not be covering the entire neck and none of the abdomen and look like the helmet is a bike helmet. A lot of changes could be made to the new armor to keep some of the shape similar to the old armor.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #43697

The whole point of body armour is to protect the wearer and cover up weak spots, guess what's a pretty critical weakspot? The neck! A lot of modern armour is designed to help protect the neck, I even recall in WH40k that the latest technological advancement for Space Marine power armour was just adding in a neck guard.

Also I'm not following your abdomen comment, from looking at the new armour it very clearly covers the abdomen.

I'm no expert spriter, but from a quick observation the new armour is of higher quality than the old armour in terms of detail. The old armour helmet looks like a fish bowl from the front for example.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #43744

Both old helmet and old armor are preferable to me. I'm not super opinionated on this, but as others have said, new sprites look a bit more professional.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #43747

new helmet with old helmet 'rounded' shape

yay
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #43810

While you might say that it has a neck guard built in, it's neither an appealing idea when thinking about body armor nor does the sprite at all look like that. What the sprite DOES look like is as if a moron was wearing regular body armor way the hell too high.
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #43941

You kids talkin' shit about flak jacket style neck protection?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/177 ... ackets.jpg

E: Removed img tags because that image was way bigger than I first thought.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #43976

I prefer the old ones, the new ones are far too busy and look like ass through byonds client side stretching system.
Plus casual look is how it should look for something worn everyday on a corporate station
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #43977

You know what would be amusing, letting the round start Head of Security decide on which uniform option his Officers spawn with.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #44010

Steelpoint wrote:You know what would be amusing, letting the round start Head of Security decide on which uniform option his Officers spawn with.
Yes please, and include clown security suits.
:^)
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #44026

Try using a black jumpsuit, new helmet, and a standard gas mask, with the new armor vest. It looks pretty badass.
SirMalcolm

Post by SirMalcolm » #44292

Is hair going to be hidden with the helmet because there are hair styles that poke out somehow of the new helmet
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #44321

But then we wouldn't have ponytail security!
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #44392

paprika wrote:But then we wouldn't have ponytail security!
That would be a good thing in my opinion. You're supposed to keep your hair short, dammit, it's a liability in hand-to-hand!
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
miggles

Post by miggles » #44396

there are no safety standards on ss13