War ops and shuttle hunting

Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

War ops and shuttle hunting

Post by Luke Cox » #435843

Bottom post of the previous page:

Right now, actively hunting for the ops shuttle during any ops round (war or no war) is banned. This is a holdover from the old shuttle system, where the shuttle could only park in one of six locations. People could just meta the shuttle locations and find it virtually risk free. Now, the shuttle can park anywhere on the z-level. That plus the turrets actually makes shuttle hunting pretty risky. We've also got a problem with ops declaring basically every round and half the station population suiciding immediately. If ops declare war, it makes sense for the crew to know that they're coming. End a mechanically obsolete policy. Add a cost to war ops. Make shuttle hunting legal.
Pizzatiger
Byond Username: Pizzatiger

Re: War ops and shuttle hunting

Post by Pizzatiger » #438381

iksyp wrote:
leibniz wrote:
iksyp wrote:
do you honestly think you can hide the nuke in maint in highpop? in war?
yes
The nuke would NEVER be safe. There would be like 5 guys running around space looking for the shuttle to steal the nuke that way and then there would be another 20 guys combing maintenance for the nuke. There is only so many places you can hide the nuke in maintenance.
CreationPro
Byond Username: Solar Marine

Post by CreationPro » #438383

Would be cool if you could anchor the nuke without having the disk.
terranaut wrote:Scared? My stand 「CLOWN WORLD」 and it's 「FUNNY COMPANY」will defeat your weak stand in moments.
Terry the Moth, Melody Jean the roboticist and S.O.L. the cyborg.
I will not change my avatar but if I did I'd have this good KVADRATNIY boy.
Spoiler:
IkeTG wrote:love is okay
CreationPro wrote: i love you
IkeTG wrote:love is no longer okay
Old quotes and stuff
Spoiler:
obscolene wrote:I super glued my PC case shut please don't ask why.
<Pretendo> well Ia ksed in banbus
<AurxSS13> IA KSED! IA KSED! THE BLACK TYPO WITH A THOUSAND ERRORS!

<scaredofshadows> I randomly take buttons away from people
<scaredofshadows> because I am now rogue
<hornygranny> host is rouge
<Ikarrus> blow the admins
trytryagain66 wrote: I accidently axed a guy said I was sorry to him, then he punched me so I axed his head off.
Hibbles wrote:Man, I love CP. I wish we had more CP on the server.
Antonkr wrote:<antonkr> tfw you will never lick hg|works delicious sexy mustache
<antonkr> ;_;
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #438412

Pizzatiger wrote:
iksyp wrote:
leibniz wrote:
iksyp wrote:
yes
The nuke would NEVER be safe. There would be like 5 guys running around space looking for the shuttle to steal the nuke that way and then there would be another 20 guys combing maintenance for the nuke. There is only so many places you can hide the nuke in maintenance.
wow it's almost like you'd have to actively keep it safe to win instead of leaving it in a corner and forgetting about it until you find disk
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #438427

You guys are dumb just put the nuke behind a wall somewhere in maint and its over
Nobody actually checks spots like the basketball room
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #438438

The absolute state of ops in 2018
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #438822

iksyp wrote:
Pizzatiger wrote:
iksyp wrote:
leibniz wrote:
iksyp wrote:
yes
wow it's almost like you'd have to actively keep it safe to win instead of leaving it in a corner and forgetting about it until you find disk
Yeh, it's totally good game design to tell a guy who won the antag lottery that he doesn't get to play this round. Just sit there with the nuke in case someone comes to the shuttle.
--Crocodillo

iksyp

Post by iksyp » #438842

WarbossLincoln wrote:
iksyp wrote:
Pizzatiger wrote:
iksyp wrote:
leibniz wrote:
iksyp wrote:
yes
Yeh, it's totally good game design to tell a guy who won the antag lottery that he doesn't get to play this round. Just sit there with the nuke in case someone comes to the shuttle.
yes because that's clearly the winning strategy i was talking about despite the fact that i was replying to a post about keeping the nuke safe off shuttle

did you even fucking read it lmao
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #438855

iksyp wrote:
WarbossLincoln wrote:
iksyp wrote:
Pizzatiger wrote:
iksyp wrote:
leibniz wrote:
iksyp wrote:
yes
yes because that's clearly the winning strategy i was talking about despite the fact that i was replying to a post about keeping the nuke safe off shuttle

did you even fucking read it lmao
Spoiler:
I just wanted to join the quote pyramid
. Taking the shuttle is the bait choice, true operatives initiate STEEL RAIN and carry the nuke behind them at all times.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #438948

It's a shame you can't just have one op leave while the rest guard the nuke
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #438962

we should revamp nuke so the ops guard the nuke on a syndicate base z-level and build traps while the crew tries to invade it and steal the nuke
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #439092

leibniz wrote:we should revamp nuke so the ops guard the nuke on a syndicate base z-level and build traps while the crew tries to invade it and steal the nuke
Oddly enough goonstation did something like this, they turned it into a plant and defend mission, ops get a location on the station to plant the bomb and defend it, crew has to destroy or disarm the nuke.

Disk reduces the timer if I recall correctly. It solved the problem of the entire mode being reliant on a competent captain and would solve the problem of people attacking the shuttle. There is no point in attacking the shuttle if the nuke is on station anyway.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #439263

I wouldn’t buy someone wanting to “explore space” but lingers on the outskirts of the station z level.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
iksyp

Post by iksyp » #439315

Dr_bee wrote:
leibniz wrote:we should revamp nuke so the ops guard the nuke on a syndicate base z-level and build traps while the crew tries to invade it and steal the nuke
Oddly enough goonstation did something like this, they turned it into a plant and defend mission, ops get a location on the station to plant the bomb and defend it, crew has to destroy or disarm the nuke.

Disk reduces the timer if I recall correctly. It solved the problem of the entire mode being reliant on a competent captain and would solve the problem of people attacking the shuttle. There is no point in attacking the shuttle if the nuke is on station anyway.
de_ntss13
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #439507

I assume that that's a dig at clock cult, probbably the second most hated gamemode on /tg/ ever after Robustin Gangs
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #439599

Bring back old CC and tell Joan she can only make one balance change a month on it and it will not be trash
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #439684

Is joan still allowed to always be the first scarab?
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #439691

shuttle hunting is unfun and powergamey
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

iksyp

Post by iksyp » #439715

Nilons wrote:shuttle hunting is unfun and powergamey
ops is also powergamey what's your point here
Toronto88
Byond Username: Booboobug

Post by Toronto88 » #439789

Just make the shuttle invisible and untouchable to anyone but nuclear operationals if we're not gonna allow people to hunt down the shuttle of people who announce "we are coming, via shuttle, to kill all of you"
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #439798

The mental gymnastics you have to go through to justify not hunting down the shuttle IC is really quite something
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #439832

"You're not suppose to actively search for it because it creates an unenjoyable atmosphere for the people who are suppose to drive the conflict of the round on a consistent basis. Thanks current game limitations!" wasn't very hard to come up with in a minute or two.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #439853

Cobby wrote:"You're not suppose to actively search for it because it creates an unenjoyable atmosphere for the people who are suppose to drive the conflict of the round on a consistent basis. Thanks current game limitations!" wasn't very hard to come up with in a minute or two.
Luke Cox wrote:The mental gymnastics you have to go through to justify not hunting down the shuttle IC is really quite something
[common] Grey McTide says: "Why can't we hunt the shuttle again?"
[common] John Doe says: [cobby's post]
*BWOINK*
Toronto88
Byond Username: Booboobug

Post by Toronto88 » #439859

Cobby wrote:"You're not suppose to actively search for it because it creates an unenjoyable atmosphere for the people who are suppose to drive the conflict of the round on a consistent basis. Thanks current game limitations!" wasn't very hard to come up with in a minute or two.
"You're not suppose to actively implant random crew members during a revolution round because it creates an unenjoyable atmosphere for the people who are suppose to drive the conflict of the round on a consistent basis. Thanks current game limitations!" wasn't very hard to come up with in a minute or two.

:neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh: :neigh:

Better yet, this reminds me of a round I had here a couple of days ago where the HoP and a bunch of cyborgs were going around mass producing all access IDs and leaving them lying in public spaces. Anyone who picked up these IDs which were created by the heads and silicons was immediately and wordlessly murdered by the HoS. I personally was chased by the HoS for about 5 minutes before I stopped while he had a gun drawn to ask "why are you chasing me?"

Instead of responding, he guns me down and then stuffs my corpse in a locker. He never said a word during this. I ahelped to ask why the HoS had done this and the admins informed me that I had an all access ID and was therefore liable to be permabrigged. Confused, I asked how being brutally murdered and stuffed in a locker was comparable to being put in the brig and they said "well it's basically the same thing." It was weird because in the permabrig I could grow crops, talk to the AI, or other things to keep me busy but while my mangled corpse was stuffed in a locker all I could do was be dead and stuffed in a locker.

"You're supposed to wordlessly murder crew who pick up IDs the cyborgs bring to them, and stuff them into lockers, during a round because it doesn't create an unenjoyable atmosphere for the people who are suppose to drive the the round on a consistent basis. Thanks current game limitations!"

But somehow using an avenue of attack against antagonists who publicly announce "We are coming in a shuttle to your station to kill all of you" should not be permitted because it makes the round "unenjoyable". It is ok though for one head to hand out IDs which another head will murder you for having without any semblance of a trial or even explaining why they are chasing you with a laser gun.

This is like saying crew shouldn't actively hunt for changelings absorbing people in maint when they find out there are lings onboard, because it could make the round unenjoyable and stop the changelings (WHO ARE THE DRIVERS OF THE ROUND'S CONFLICT, I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW!!!) from creating conflict for the crew.

If it is so unenjoyable that the crew is able to attack the syndicate ship, either make the syndicate ship not exist or build it out of indestructible walls/airlocks that can only be opened by someone with syndicate antagonist status. That way no one will be able to interact with the ship even if they do find it, and then the round won't be unenjoyable.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #439867

I think this thread has gone around long enough and we've had a good spread of opinions.

The policy as it currently stands, that the crew cannot hunt down the shuttle or "find" it without following an op, is understandably not ideal from a game design point of view but at the end of the day we enforce policy for what makes the game most fun for the majority of people. As a result I'm going to say this policy will remain in place. Do not attack the nuclear operative shuttle unless you follow an operative there or are led there by the pinpointer.

As always, this may be revised if code changes make this rule superfluous or unnecessary, but I can't bank on those.

Any other headmin may post.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #552510

To anyone reading this in the future: this policy has been revised. Hunting for and attacking the Syndicate nuclear operative shuttle is now allowed, as highly lethal greytider-ventilating heavy turrets have been added to the shuttle in the interim.