Trialmin Review: RogueSteampunker

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Trialmin Review: RogueSteampunker

Post by Arianya » #439874

RogueSteampunker has now been in the .txt as a Trial Admin for """"roughly"""" two months.

Please use this thread as public review; it's encouraged for players to comment on how well/badly the trial admin has done and whether or not they think the trial admin should be made a full admin, if they should be removed from the .txt or if their promotion should be delayed.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Trialmin Review: RogueSteampunker

Post by Cobby » #439998

Something about their github conduct (responses/comments) has crossed me a couple of times but other than that they're fine.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #440037

If goofball can't make an admin complaint about it then an admin's Github conduct is wholly irrelevant for this trialmin review.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #440047

"This includes statements that are outwardly hostile to specific players and/or may be a defamation of that player's character."

Being hostile to /tg/ players about /tg/ features they wish to implement on the /tg/ github that directs to our /tg/ server is totally relevant. Same as discord behavior, which I believe you've commented about in other threads.

Not sure what the goofball thing is but admin complaints are for ingame conduct so it makes sense if it got shut down for something similar. This is not that subforum so that rule does not apply.
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #440049

Could you give some examples of this?
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #440064

"He also just generally sometimes acts like an asshole, I have no other way to describe it, and if you ask him to stop doing that he'll just tell you to fuck off."

My apologies, I read the post as discord because i'm assuming this is the only way you contact with him (Mralphonzo's thread). Regardless, it's still the behavior extrapolated outside of the game you used to defend your position.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #440066

To bring it back around though as to not derail this thread over a issue I don't think has a tangible bearing (i would hope not), the situations i've seen him in as an admin are fine.

I've had 0 issues with him and wouldn't mind him being a gamemin, but I would like him to represent the team, particularly with individuals who are trying to improve the game, in a less abrasive manner if possible.
RogueSteampunker
Byond Username: RogueSteampunker

Post by RogueSteampunker » #440068

Cobby wrote:"He also just generally sometimes acts like an asshole, I have no other way to describe it, and if you ask him to stop doing that he'll just tell you to fuck off."

My apologies, I read the post as discord because i'm assuming this is the only way you contact with him (Mralphonzo's thread). Regardless, it's still the behavior extrapolated outside of the game you used to defend your position.
If you don't mind me asking, which pr did I even say that in? Just curious, cause I don't remember myself getting nearly that vitriolic out in the github.
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Post by Shezza » #440117

Nice person outside the game, even if sometimes we bashed heads. I can't recall having any of my tickets handled by them however, so i can't give feedback on that.

Definitely nicer than some admins.
Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #440134

RogueSteampunker wrote:
Cobby wrote:"He also just generally sometimes acts like an asshole, I have no other way to describe it, and if you ask him to stop doing that he'll just tell you to fuck off."

If you don't mind me asking, which pr did I even say that in? Just curious, cause I don't remember myself getting nearly that vitriolic out in the github.
They were talking about alphonzo's thread as a justification for using out of game stuff in the thread
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #440137

I'm talking about examples of Rogue being a dick on Github. Unless you back up that point it's a useless distraction at best and a baseless insult at worst.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #440150

subject217 wrote:I'm talking about examples of Rogue being a dick on Github. Unless you back up that point it's a useless distraction at best and a baseless insult at worst.
I unfortunately didn't keep track of what PR(s) it was in and I can't track comments when searching users, nor do I have the desire to search through every PR he MIGHT have posted in for the sake of winning an internet argument about a minute gripe I had with the individual that I fully expect him to improve on looking forward.

Trying to argue about my comment that I already, explicitly stated should not have any tangible bearing on the review then having the audacity to claim i'm the one "distracting" from the point of this thread is really odd.
RogueSteampunker wrote:If you don't mind me asking, which pr did I even say that in? Just curious, cause I don't remember myself getting nearly that vitriolic out in the github.
That kind of ironic vitriol is reserved for admins after their review it seems, but it was a quote regarding behavior outside of the game that I was using to point out subject has also brought up external behavior in review threads. I do not recall what PR it was in or even what was said, I was just crossed by the comment(s) upon reading them. Had I thought it was an issue that needed to affect the trialmin review it would have already occurred since I have some say in those processes.
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #440169

Cobby wrote:That kind of ironic vitriol is reserved for admins after their review it seems, but it was a quote regarding behavior outside of the game that I was using to point out subject has also brought up external behavior in review threads.
And my point was that an admin being "rude" to people on GitHub(a claim that you refuse to reinforce) has no bearing on their performance as an admin. While it's true Admin Complaints are for in-game issues only, even if they weren't Goofball's complaint would still have been thrown out, because complaining about an admin being rude to you on GitHub is stupid.

None of this has literally anything to do with Rogue. You could have dropped it when you decided you were too lazy to reinforce it and yet you chose instead to make passive aggressive sniping remarks, so here we are. I don't see the value in letting people denigrate an admin with throw away remarks that they aren't willing to back up.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #440185

Saying my comment was baseless is fine because, again, github does not make it easy to look up comments. Not much I can do except screenshot examples in the future or, again, search literally every PR for the sake of making it clear that he said a singular rude thing so make sure it doesn't become problematic looking forward. Getting "evidence" for such a minute issue is absurd when it wasn't being discussed in any post as a "please bar him from admin" or "he's a shitler". I just needed to post it somewhere so it would be an avenue of improvement to continue on rather than it potentially becoming an issue.

Behavior is literally a part of the what is expected of admins.

I can edit the post to say "Please ensure you're considerate on all platforms where you are known as a /tg/ admin. That said, should be promoted" but I've already explained that several times already, i'm not sure what the end goal is here. Literally nothing was gained from this and nothing will be gained from this barring some sense of "nah nah boo boo" because someone felt like they "won" a pointless discussion. Let's end it here please.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #440617

Serverbanned someone for releasing blackvirus, the time on it seems longer than it should be but I suspect the players attitude played into this, but it had coughing and stuns attached so it wasn't really all that innocent.

Either bans very heavily, or needs to be leaving more notes when he warns people for things.

I have no comment on his behavior otherwise that everyone's talking about. I can't think of times I've interacted much with them.

If they'll start leaving more notes promote.
RogueSteampunker

Post by RogueSteampunker » #440618

Nabski wrote:Serverbanned someone for releasing blackvirus, the time on it seems longer than it should be but I suspect the players attitude played into this, but it had coughing and stuns attached so it wasn't really all that innocent.

Either bans very heavily, or needs to be leaving more notes when he warns people for things.

I have no comment on his behavior otherwise that everyone's talking about. I can't think of times I've interacted much with them.

He was serverbanned for both that and literally destroying sec during a known cult because he was arrested for said virus. He ate a permanent viro ban until he appeals, and a weekban for the general shittiness of his actions and his lack of understanding of what is and isn't an IC consequence.

Seriously, the virus made people cough so badly it flooded the chat, and the headaches ensured that you'd be stunned every 10 seconds. And when he was arrested for releasing it, he gets hulk and proceeds to try and destroy all of sec and kill the officers who arrested him because he was "arrested for no raisin"

I rarely ban, Nabski, but good lord this was just obvious grief, or someone who really needs to learn what is and isn't an IC issue, and why it is you can't grief a specific way because someone else did it once.
Last edited by RogueSteampunker on Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #440619

RogueSteampunker wrote:
Nabski wrote:Serverbanned someone for releasing blackvirus, the time on it seems longer than it should be but I suspect the players attitude played into this, but it had coughing and stuns attached so it wasn't really all that innocent.

I also serverbanned him for literally destroying sec during a known cult because he was arrested for said virus. He ate a permanent viro ban until he appeals, and a weekban for the general shittiness of his actions and his lack of understand of what is and isn't an IC consequence.

Seriously, the virus made people cough so badly it flooded the chat, and the headaches ensured that you'd be stunned every 10 seconds. And when he was arrested for releasing it, he gets hulk and proceeds to try and destroy all of sec and kill the officers who arrested him because he was "arrested for no raisin"

I rarely ban, Nabski, but good lord this was just obvious grief, or someone who really needs to learn what is and isn't an IC issue, and why it is you can't grief a specific way because someone else did it once.
The headache stuns for me is what pushes it over the edge into ban instead of warning. You left out that entire second part in the note/ban so I had no way to know about it. The second part is to me what would push it over from a job ban to a server ban.
RogueSteampunker

Post by RogueSteampunker » #440620

Nabski wrote:
RogueSteampunker wrote:

I also serverbanned him for literally destroying sec during a known cult because he was arrested for said virus. He ate a permanent viro ban until he appeals, and a weekban for the general shittiness of his actions and his lack of understand of what is and isn't an IC consequence.

The headache stuns for me is what pushes it over the edge into ban instead of warning. You left out that entire second part in the note/ban so I had no way to know about it. The second part is to me what would push it over from a job ban to a server ban.
I didn't, though? The viro ban only lists the virus, but I mentioned in his serverban that he did both the virus and the brig destruction, unless I'm misunderstanding something
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #440621

RogueSteampunker wrote:Quoteblock
You're right. They were both five lines long of messages so I assumed they were the same for both. Nicely done on that then.

I'm standing by the "you should leave more notes on warnings" part of my feedback. It's someone I also need to do more so don't my history as a "how to" guide here.
RogueSteampunker

Post by RogueSteampunker » #440622

Nabski wrote:
RogueSteampunker wrote:Quoteblock
You're right. They were both five lines long of messages so I assumed they were the same for both. Nicely done on that then.

I'm standing by the "you should leave more notes on warnings" part of my feedback. It's someone I also need to do more so don't my history as a "how to" guide here.
But how does this apply in any way to how I've handled myself in the last few months? Most, if not all, of my bans have been because of people with long lists of notes or for people ending multiple lives or leaving after a serious offense. I would like some examples of where I went too far, if you don't mind, cause I honestly don't see how I've been too lenient with bans.
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Post by Shezza » #440992

says a guy who banned me from buying shuttles for a month lmao
Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #441133

We've decided to promote rogue to GameAdmin.

Their notes and bans seem fine, and we havent had anybody bring up any concerns about their in game conduct.

While it's true out of game conduct can have an impact on passing your trial, without any evidence its impossible to take the claim about them being rude/abusing someone on github into account.

While I'd like them to be a bit more active in game and in adminbus if possible, I feel reduced activity is fairly normal when you've been an admin for almost a year at this point.