[nabski] Appearance Ban despite not breaking any rules by nabski's admission

Appeals which have been closed.
Toronto88
Byond Username: Booboobug

[nabski] Appearance Ban despite not breaking any rules by nabski's admission

Post by Toronto88 » #444646

As the good people of /tg/station are FORBIDDEN from sharing their opinions on ban appeals, all non-admins can voice their concern and displeasure with the widespread admin abuse of the naming policy in this thread: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... ead#unread

It will be clear for anyone to see that there have been FOUR Image to literally ONE Image

In a perfect world this is would be all that needs to be said!
Byond account and character name: Spankmaster, Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms
Banning admin: Nabski
Ban type (What are you banned from?): Appearance Ban
Ban reason and length: 7 Days,
The reason is: Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms - You've had this issue with picking stupid names before.
Time ban was placed (including time zone): 2018-10-11 01:24:29
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Bagil
Your side of the story: I have been playing with this name since September 14th (the day I posted this thread: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19583) without any issue. I have been very vocal over comms, had plenty of fun hijinks with the crew, and often played as captain. No admin ever felt any need to give me shit about my name, nor did any crew ever ahelp me about it as I was not spoken to about it once, by any admin.

I am playing as captain on the round I got appearance banned, spent most of the round without an issue. The station is infested with zombies. I have created soybeans which when thrown create gas that turns people into plasmamen, as well as loading them with various kinds of booze. I can defeat the zombies by throwing these beans at them, turning them into perpetually burning plasmamen. I am killed by zombies. A borg takes me to genetics and clones me before I revive. I announce in dead chat that if I can manage to complete the cloning process and secure the beans, I'll be able to throw them at zombies to turn them into plasmamen zombies and force them to burn to death. It is the station's last hope. Suddenly in dead chat, Nabski begins telling me how my name is retarded. I told him I am not breaking any rules with my name (as the name does not break any rules), he continues insulting me. Suddenly I get an admin PM, which funnily enough says "hey there" as if this was the beginning of our conversation even though he had just been calling me a retard in dead chat for having a name.

-- Administrator private message --
Admin PM from-Nabski: Hey there
Click on the administrator's name to reply.

PM to-Admins: hi

Admin PM from-Nabski: So it looks your name is stupid

PM to-Admins: OK, that's nice. I know you're gonna be mean and make me change it but I have not broken any rules and play with this name every day

Admin PM from-Nabski: and it also looks like you've been apperance banned before for picking stupid names

PM to-Admins: "stupid name" is apparently 100% arbitrary

Admin PM from-Nabski: yep

[Here we see Nabski admitting that there was absolutely zero reason for him to do any of this, the definition of arbitrary is: "based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system."]

Admin PM from-Nabski: it is

PM to-Admins: ok so change it if youre gonna force me to i guess, i didnt break rules tho

Admin PM from-Nabski: and to quote the rules page
Admin PM from-Nabski: "Admins may get involved if your name is dumb and can approve or disallow names at their discretion while ingame."

Admin PM from-Nabski: so since you've had an issue with names before, I'm going to reapply for apperance ban for a week

PM to-Admins: ok i guess we'll have to take it to forums

You have been appearance banned by Nabski.
The reason is: Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms - You've had this issue with picking stupid names before.
Appearance ban can be lifted only upon request.
To try to resolve this matter head to https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=7

Why you think you should be unbanned: Well first of all, I'd like to take issue with the fact that Nabski is doling out appearance bans left and right, openly confessing that his actions are not based on any kind of solid reasoning, while not even being able to spell the word "appearance". If this situation was a fair one (it clearly is not), I would have an "apperance ban".

Secondly, as I said earlier, I have been playing with this exact name for weeks and have had zero issue with Nabski or anyone else. I am completely at a loss for what set him off about it today, considering we have spent plenty of time together on the server in the past. The only thing that made this round different from others was that I had a crop of hyper-potent plasmafying soybeans which were the key to saving the station from a zombie scourge.

Thirdly, my name is not in violation of ANY rules. My name is not stupid, despite what Nabski says, and despite this being literally the ONLY explanation he was able to give for what he did. It is in a first name last name format, is able to be pronounced, and fits within the allotted space given to all players for choosing names. If the reason the name is "stupid" is because it is long, then why are players even allowed to use the space given for names? Why are we allowed to use 40~ characters in our names if rogue admins will come in and ban you from customizing your appearance for completely random and unpredictable reasons? Just make a rule saying "there is a limit to how long your name can be, but also there is an unspoken, undefined limit known as the "Nabski line" which will be invoked to ban people who follow naming policy".

Fourthly, Nabski at one point mentions "since you've had an issue with names before, I'm going to reapply for apperance ban for a week". This is ridiculous. Here is what he is referring to:
2018-08-09 18:16:13 | Bagil | Arianya
Warned - Named himself "Police Sergeant Freddy Alarms", advised that titles/ranks aren't allowed in IC names.
As we can clearly see, I have not "had an issue with names before" in a way that is at all applicable to the current situation. I received a warning for naming myself "Police Sergeant Freddy Alarms", or in other words for adding my professional title to my name. I have never done this again and only used names which are names and names alone. To reiterate, the Police Sergeant Freddy Alarms fiasco has exactly ZERO bearing or relation to the current situation.

There is literally zero option for me here except not expressing myself in creating my character. Now, because I had the gall to make a character which fits into all naming policy besides "literally any name any admin randomly decides is stupd is bannable", I cannot create any characters at all because of the rude and baseless actions of Nabski.
Last edited by Toronto88 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: [nabski] Appearance Ban despite not breaking any rules by nabski's admission

Post by Nabski » #444650

I'm not lifting this. I'm sorry that you were able to use that name for a month without me noticing and the inconsistency has caused you mental trauma.

I am aware that I am not the best at spelling.
Please make sure to ahelp after a week, because identity bans do not automatically expire.
Toronto88
Byond Username: Booboobug

Re: [nabski] Appearance Ban despite not breaking any rules by nabski's admission

Post by Toronto88 » #444652

Nabski wrote:I'm not lifting this. I'm sorry that you were able to use that name for a month without me noticing and the inconsistency has caused you mental trauma.

I am aware that I am not the best at spelling.
Please make sure to ahelp after a week, because identity bans do not automatically expire.
I noticed you did not respond to any of my objections or explain how my name was in violation of the rules. Clearly this is because my name was not in violation of anything.

I made this appeal to get rulings from the rest of the admin team, as you have already made it clear that you get a kick out of insulting people, calling their names "stupid" and then applying harsh punishments onto them while confessing without a second thought that there is no actual reason for you to do this. It does not make sense for you to issue any kind of ruling on the punishment you applied which by your own admission was completely baseless.

As I understand it an admin's job is to make the game enjoyable for players, and protect them from grief and unnecessary loss of fun. You've turned this mission upside down and instead decided that your job is to ruin individual player's games and harass them, despite the fact the action you're punishing them for hurt literally no one, broke zero rules, and brought constant joy to the players around them.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #444725

Denied. Please don't toe the line on naming rules and if an admin asks you to change your name comply. We have the discretion rule for a reason.

Please PM Nabski or one of the headmins if the appearance ban isn't removed in 7 days, as its intended to be 7 days long.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg