[Nabski/Arianya] Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms - Nonsensical Application of Naming Policy

Toronto88
Byond Username: Booboobug

[Nabski/Arianya] Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms - Nonsensical Application of Naming Policy

Post by Toronto88 » #444765

Byond account and character name: Spankmaster, Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms
Admin: Mostly Nabski
Time and Server(Bagil or Sybil) incident occurred: See my appeal here: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19886
ROUND ID HERE: N/A
Detailed summary: Nabski is openly admitting that he is applying the naming policy in an arbitrary way. None of the responses I got in my appeal detailed how I had violated the policy. They did not even explain how my name was "stupid", I was just simply told that it was. The naming policy as it reads seems to be created for people who named themselves something like "abcdefg hijklmnop", not completely real names that just happen to be long. I asked in the OOC chat if the name "Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen" would be alright to use, and the admins online said that would be perfectly ok. Another player told a story in OOC about how they used the same moth name for FIVE MONTHS before an admin randomly decided it was not ok and name banned him. There is no rhyme or reason to this policy, it is absolutely ridiculous.

Nabski could have told me something like "your name is 40 characters, and although the game allows you to make a name this long, it is not allowed by the naming policy even though the naming policy does not state this. Please make your name at max 30 characters in the future." I'd say sure and do that. Instead he just called me stupid and then applied an extremely harsh ban. I have not received a shred of input on how my name violated the policy, simply that admins are allowed to apply naming policy violations whenever they feel like doing it, even if the player has used the name for months or even a year.

Nabski mentioned a previous naming violation I had for including my job title in my name. I understand how this was a violation of naming policy and never used job titles in my name again. I did not need an appearance ban. We could have handled this situation in the exact same way, except for the fact that this was ban was not applied for violating any policy but simply because Nabski felt like it. He readily admitted this during our exchange of admin PMs. I previously had an admin rename me to "Fregogliobara Teracucci". Why is this name ok but "Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms" is not? If Freddy is dumb, then Fregogliobara certainly is!

Nabski at the very least owes me an unban, and if he was a righteous person he would apologize for the mean words he used against me as well. Arianya should not have locked my thread, and should have offered an explanation as to why the ban was justified or how I violated naming policy (I didn't so that's why she did not).
Last edited by Arianya on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed open thread disclaimer that OP had no ability to grant and which would probably just result in people getting peanut post warnings
Toronto88

Re: [Nabski/Arianya] Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms - Nonsensical Application of Naming Policy

Post by Toronto88 » #444770

This happened with my ban appeal as well. It immediately got viewed by a wide range of admins, however in the end I was left only with a response from the person who applied the ban in the first place saying they will not lift it while not providing a shred of justification for the ban itself. I asked for an explanation as to how I violated the naming policy or could have made the name acceptable and was informed that I had broken the rule that states "admins can do anything" and my thread is locked.
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Re: [Nabski/Arianya] Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms - Nonsensical Application of Naming Policy

Post by subject217 » #444783

Admin Complaint Rules wrote:THIS BOARD IS FOR SPECIFIC INCIDENCES OF IN-GAME ADMIN ABUSE.
Admin Complaints aren't your backup forum when your appeal gets denied.
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #444786

subject217 wrote:
Admin Complaint Rules wrote:THIS BOARD IS FOR SPECIFIC INCIDENCES OF IN-GAME ADMIN ABUSE.
This is not a ban appeal, this is a complaint about harassment and abusive behavior from an admin couched under a rule that in this context can be used to justify literally anything.

If naming policy is 100% at admin discretion, then I as admin would be justified in banning a guy named "John Corners" because "the last name corners is stupid", and if he appealed I could cite Rule 3 and then say 'sorry but it's at our discretion, locking this'.

Notice how the admins STILL cannot answer how my name was in violation of the naming policy. Absolutely 0 thought has been given to advising me and other players on how the name could have been fixed. My "past behavior" with regards to this issue is that if an admin says 'your name can't do x', I stop doing x with my name (for example never putting the title Police Sergeant in my name).

For some reason when I used the name "Police Sergeant Freddy Alarms", an admin informed on the very first round that I used it that I cannot put job titles in my name. I said ok and didn't do that again, everyone was happy. This time around an admin said my name is "stupid", insulted me a lot, offered 0 constructive criticism about how to make the name valid, and then applied a harsh ban. If there was actually something wrong with my name, he'd be able to point out what it is. There was nothing wrong with it, so he can't.
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #444789

Also worth nothing that I have been using this name for a MONTH. Many times with Nabski online, and many times as the Captain using high volume headset. This sets a precedent where an admin will be able to ban people for reasons far stupider than my name ever was, and justify it based on a nebulous rule that basically negates the rest of the ruleset.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #444794

subject217 wrote:
It is an incident of in-game admin abuse though. Nabski PMed and banned him in-game.

Nabski should've told Tonto why the name was stupid. I can tell Tonto is legitimately trying to understand this rule while also expressing his character's individualism, and Nabski refused to tell him why his name was so bad. If you can't justify your ruling beyond "it was stupid" then why are you making that ruling?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #444796

Thank you Beesting. I have a past record of adjusting my name where there are issues, that's my point. If he had said "make the last name half as long, the last name is too long" I would just do that and we'd all be square. I assumed that because there is a hardcoded limit to name length, anything within the length that follows proper first name last name form and is able to be pronounced is fine.

My conversation with Nabski, as I posted in the appeal, was literally "heh so your name is stupid, youre being banned". It was hardly even a conversation. If someone pulls up the logs from dead chat it will be even more apparent that he came into this with a very negative tone.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #444803

subject217 wrote:
What are you on about? You're literally supposed to make an admin complaint if an admin denies your ban appeal and you still think they're wrong.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #444804

I personally felt this fell under rule 7 in addition to the standard naming rules.
7. If you regularly come close to breaking the rules without actually breaking them, it will be treated as the rules being broken.

Your name to me felt like you were trying to get as close to over the edge of what's an acceptable name here as you could without technically breaking it. Many of your posts here have that feeling as well.
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #444806

Nabski wrote:I personally felt this fell under rule 7 in addition to the standard naming rules.
7. If you regularly come close to breaking the rules without actually breaking them, it will be treated as the rules being broken.

Your name to me felt like you were trying to get as close to over the edge of what's an acceptable name here as you could without technically breaking it. Many of your posts here have that feeling as well.
So what is the rule I came close to breaking? Why couldn't we just immediately discuss this instead of the back and forth of "it's stupid, we are not discussing this"?
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #444809

oranges wrote:
subject217 wrote:
What are you on about? You're literally supposed to make an admin complaint if an admin denies your ban appeal and you still think they're wrong.
Since when? There's no rule about it, and that's not how admin complaints have been used in the past. A couple of people have tried and they all got shut down for it.
Hornygranny wrote:4. This board is not for ban appeals. You may appeal a ban you do not agree with in the appropriate board. Ban appeals posted here will be moved or deleted.
Last edited by subject217 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #444810

Also, wrt what you posted:
Your name to me felt like you were trying to get as close to over the edge of what's an acceptable name here as you could without technically breaking it.
No, the name was a funny name that brought me joy to play with. Every time the announcements system said Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms, it brought a smile to my face. I know many other crewmembers felt the same as we would joke about it and have fun (that is the idea of this game).
Many of your posts here have that feeling as well.
Entirely subjective, and false. I have literally just been asking for an explanation as to which part of the naming policy I violated, and why I needed to be appearance banned for a week. The entire thing came off as very spiteful.
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #444811

subject217 wrote:
oranges wrote:
subject217 wrote:
Since when? There's no rule about it, and that's not how admin complaints have been used in the past. A couple of people have tried and they all got shut down for it.
The complaint is that I can't even get an explanation as to what was wrong with my name or why it warranted a ban. It'd be like if someone was banned for being black and then posted an appeal, had it denied, made a complaint about it and was told "this is not the place for appeals".
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #444814

Rule 3 - Admins may get involved if your name is dumb and can approve or disallow names at their discretion while ingame.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #444815

If you're going to use your discretion you should explain your reasoning so the other party can understand.

I love you Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms good luck against this oppression
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #444820

Toronto88 wrote:

Code: Select all

[size=150][center][color=#FF0000]I am opening this thread to posts from the public. All players are subject to this tyrannical naming policy and thus have a stake in this complaint. Mods, please do not delete "peanut gallery" posts unless they are not relevant to the topic.[/color][/center][/size]
This is not within your abilities to grant and I'm not having a weird peanut gallery NTR Hut thread. If you want a soapbox the NTR Hut is that way.

I'll be editing this line out of your post to avoid confusion.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #444821

Cobby wrote:Rule 3 - Admins may get involved if your name is dumb and can approve or disallow names at their discretion while ingame.
Yes, so by this logic if I was named "John Corners" and Nabski said "Corners is a stupid last name" he would be within his rights to give me a one week appearance ban. The only distinct feature of the name is that it's rather long. There is absolutely nothing in the rules about having a name that fits within the name length limit hardcoded into the game.

His actions would be 100% understandable if I had named my character something like "Aaaaaaa Nabskiisgay". Lucky for me, I did nothing of the sort. His judgment is based entirely on him "feeling" that I am "trying to break the rules", when I have already provided the real reason for my choice in name - TO BRING MIRTH AND JOY TO THE CREW. I am obviously not failing at this mission, as we can literally see above this post "I love you Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms good luck against this oppression".

People love Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms. You killed Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms. The only reason you can provide is "because I can".
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #444822

Arianya wrote:
Toronto88 wrote:

[size=150][center][color=#FF0000]I am opening this thread to posts from the public. All players are subject to this tyrannical naming policy and thus have a stake in this complaint. Mods, please do not delete "peanut gallery" posts unless they are not relevant to the topic.[/color][/center][/size]
This is not within your abilities to grant and I'm not having a weird peanut gallery NTR Hut thread. If you want a soapbox the NTR Hut is that way.

Posters in OOC were agreeing with me about the ridiculous application of this policy. A man played with a moth name for five months before suddenly receiving an appearance ban for it. People affected by this broken policy should have every right to chime in.
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #444823

I'd still like to hear from an administrator the reasoning why "Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms" counts as a "stupid name" but "Fregogliobara Teracucci" does not (given to me by admin).
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #444824

Toronto88 wrote:
Arianya wrote:
Toronto88 wrote:

Posters in OOC were agreeing with me about the ridiculous application of this policy. A man played with a moth name for five months before suddenly receiving an appearance ban for it. People affected by this broken policy should have every right to chime in.
What you are describing is a policy discussion, not a weird-dual target admin complaint trying to bypass steno rules.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #444826

Arianya wrote:
Toronto88 wrote:
Arianya wrote:
Toronto88 wrote:

What you are describing is a policy discussion, not a weird-dual target admin complaint trying to bypass steno rules.
Will 5 Month Moth be allowed to post here? Will he have a voice? This is all I ask for Arianya, a voice for the people.
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #444829

So far it seems we are stuck in an infinite regress with regards to rule 3 and rule 7.

Nabski feels my name was in violation of rule 3, "Rule 3 - Admins may get involved if your name is dumb and can approve or disallow names at their discretion while ingame."

Asked how, he says it is stupid and at his discretion. This continues throughout dead chat conversations, a series of ahelps, a ban appeal which was immediately locked without any discussion, and finally an admin complaint against him.

FINALLY, and ONLY after other admins intimate that I may in fact have a valid reason for posting a complaint does he attempt to explain his reasoning in any way.

This is what we get:
I personally felt this fell under rule 7 in addition to the standard naming rules.
So, if you come close to breaking a rule, you may get punished as if you've actually broken the rule. He names the naming policy and Rule 3. Rule 3 states that an admin can get involved at their discretion (ie. completely arbitrarily, as Nabski happily admits). This traps us in a circle of "you were close enough to doing something that I personally felt was stupid that I would punish you for almost breaking a rule, citing rule 7, with the rule being broken as rule 3 which can apply to any name at all as it is being used."

Clearly this is nonsense, so we will have to move onto the rest of his statement.
this fell under rule 7 in addition to the standard naming rules.
This is the standard naming rules:
Excessively OOC names fall under rule 3. Make a minimum effort to have your name fit in a setting involving a wacky space station in the future. A firstname lastname minimum is required and no honorifics are allowed. Nicknames in the middle are ok.
As we have already established the rest of Nabski's statement are nonsensical, we will have to focus on how the name Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms is in violation of the standard naming policy.
  • Excessively OOC names fall under rule 3 - I would be fascinated to see anyone explain how the name I was using was excessively OOC.
  • Make a minimum effort to have your name fit in a setting involving a wacky space station in the future. - I put in a MAXIMUM effort to make my name fit in a wacky, futuristic space setting. Let's see some names from a similar environment, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy novels. Here are some names from this futuristic, wacky space setting: Hig Hurtenflurst, Hurling Frootmig, Sanvalvwag of Hollop, Max Quordlepleen, Sperm Whale, Veet Voojagig, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Blart Versenwald III, Slartibartfast, Bowerick Wowbagger, Hotblack Desiato, Pizpot Gargravarr, A-Rth-Urp-Hil-Ipdenu, Eccentrica Gallumbits, the list goes on....

Would any of the names I just listed be bannable? Which part of the naming policy would they be violating? Would this violation also apply to Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms?
  • A firstname lastname minimum is required and no honorifics are allowed. Nicknames in the middle are ok. - I had a first name and a last name, no honorifics or nicknames.
[center]As we can see here, once again, not a single one of Nabski's contentions were valid or even coherent.[/center]
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #444832

Toronto88 wrote:
Cobby wrote:Rule 3 - Admins may get involved if your name is dumb and can approve or disallow names at their discretion while ingame.
Yes, so by this logic if I was named "John Corners" and Nabski said "Corners is a stupid last name" he would be within his rights to give me a one week appearance ban.
Yes, and it is for headmins to decide if he was right in that. In this case, "Corners" was deemed stupid and the punishment was deemed fit.

If you don't like the rule then fine but the ruling is valid.
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #444838

Cobby wrote:
Toronto88 wrote:
Yes, so by this logic if I was named "John Corners" and Nabski said "Corners is a stupid last name" he would be within his rights to give me a one week appearance ban.
Yes, and it is for headmins to decide if he was right in that. In this case, "Corners" was deemed stupid and the punishment was deemed fit.

If you don't like the rule then fine but the ruling is valid.
First of all you're not replying to any of the points I've made, just retreading the tired point of "if admins decide to do something the rules allow it so this is valid".

Second of all, the ruling is not even valid. The ruling given by a headmin was confused.
Denied. Please don't toe the line on naming rules and if an admin asks you to change your name comply. We have the discretion rule for a reason.

Please PM Nabski or one of the headmins if the appearance ban isn't removed in 7 days, as its intended to be 7 days long.
"If an admin asks you to change your name comply."

You will be hard pressed to find a time I have ever not complied with an admin request to change my name. As I laid out in my post above, I was also not toeing any line on naming rules. The name I was using fit into every requirement given by the naming policy, and I had used it for a month without any issue.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #444853

We're trapped in a circle of us explicitly not wanting to codify the naming policy and you not liking it's not codified to the level you're trying to shoehorn in the thread.

Tiebreakers of le epic admin discretion memes go to headmins and they agree it's a bad name and, with your history of similarly bad names also deemed valid per the headmins at the time, they decided the ban was valid as well.

To throw a bone, I think Freddy Vonbrogiola or Freddy Vonbrogio would have been acceptable. The name imo reeks of someone trying to max out the character limit for the sake of epic luls which is probably why it was deemed excessively dumb. I'm not going to fall for the poor bait of it should be ~XX characters because then you'll just make Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnide or whatever to fill in that then act surprised when you get banned again.

I will say "Wacky space setting" is a dumb meme because admins here expect realistic + non-"exotic" names, and in that case you're right the rules and admin's enforcement are two different things. Given your history explicitly with admins not liking your names (not exclusive to the current set of headmins I believe), i'm sure you're quite aware of this though so I'm not sure why you're surprised when you try yet again you fail.
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #444855

Cobby wrote:We're trapped in a circle of us explicitly not wanting to codify the naming policy and you not liking it's not codified to the level you're trying to shoehorn in the thread.

Tiebreakers of le epic admin discretion memes go to headmins and they agree it's a bad name and, with your history of similarly bad names also deemed valid per the headmins at the time, they decided the ban was valid as well.

To throw a bone, I think Freddy Vonbrogiola or Freddy Vonbrogio would have been acceptable. The name imo reeks of someone trying to max out the character limit for the sake of epic luls which is probably why it was deemed excessively dumb. I'm not going to fall for the poor bait of it should be ~XX characters because then you'll just make Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnide or whatever to fill in that then act surprised when you get banned again.

I will say "Wacky space setting" is a dumb meme because admins here expect realistic + non-"exotic" names, and in that case you're right the rules and admin's enforcement are two different things. Given your history explicitly with admins not liking your names (not exclusive to the current set of headmins I believe), i'm sure you're quite aware of this though so I'm not sure why you're surprised when you try yet again you fail.
You are missing the point, my issue is not that I had to change my name. If Nabski had just PM'd me and said "make your last name shorter next round", I'd have done that and we'd be square. He did not do that, he called me stupid and banned me from customizing my character. I am surprised about the hamfisted way this was handled, not that an admin had an opinion on my name. I played with it for a month, so yes I am a bit surprised/confused by this whole ordeal.

The naming policy is explicitly codified, though. Like I said, if someone just told me "the last name is too long", I'd change it and we'd be able to move on. No one has said that once, so I still have no reason to even believe that's the issue. The only thing I've been told about the name is that it's "stupid".

The other names I had changed were changed for
1. not following firstname lastname
2. having a title in the name

Both of which were immediately fixed and a non-issue from then on. If "wacky space setting" is a "dumb meme", then maybe it should be changed. As it stands I was making a name which met every requirement laid out by the naming standards. Exotic names are allowed, and a name like Fergoglio Teracucci would be a perfectly acceptable futuristic space name. Admins have even confirmed this.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #444856

/wiki/Rules wrote:7. If you regularly come close to breaking the rules without actually breaking them, it will be treated as the rules being broken.
Repeated instances of the same rules being broken may be met with harsher consequences. Baiting people into situations where you can report them to admins will be dealt with harshly.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #444858

The thing is that the other two issues I had with names broke the rules clearly. One had an honorific, the other was not firstname lastname. I fixed this and played without issue for a month. Even then, if Nabski had told me that there is an unspoken rule of "last names can't be long", I'd just say ok and change it. Instead he called me stupid and banned me.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #444859

I mean, I get your point, I really do, You had expected it to be another fix-it ticket, like it would have been for anybody else, But it is the belief of the administration that you were line toeing and should have known it would be a problem, and that this required a slightly heavier hand to hammer that in. A 7 day appearance ban is still light all told, given how often you've had to change your character's name in the past it's not like it will be that big of an impact on your ability to play and enjoy the game.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #444871

Toronto88 wrote:I'd still like to hear from an administrator the reasoning why "Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms" counts as a "stupid name" but "Fregogliobara Teracucci" does not (given to me by admin).
because it's pretty much gibberish and a very long string of gibberish at that. at a glance it looks like a string of completely random characters
frankly i dont care for the new name either but at least you can figure out how to pronounce it without reading through it 5 times slowly
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #445031

Wait... did someone actually ban the name "John Corners", cause that's a real name?

I have a hard time taking a naming policy seriously when it's as arbitrary as this. We have static names like "Cup Cake" the security officer but "Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms" went over the line?
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #445038

WarbossLincoln wrote:Wait... did someone actually ban the name "John Corners", cause that's a real name?

I have a hard time taking a naming policy seriously when it's as arbitrary as this. We have static names like "Cup Cake" the security officer but "Freddy Vonbrogiolababalicinnidenalarms" went over the line?
See https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... ke#p400145
and
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... ah#p419962
and
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... t=cup+cake
for some Cup Cake history. At some point it was solidified that cat names are permitted and encouraged on cat people. At one point that was even on the wiki but Subject217 removed it.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #445055

The wiki has been edited and mucked up quite a bit by randos and sheeza editing it.
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #445081

I dont see why you'd say that name is bad just make a nickname like freddy vonbro, or just call him freddy. It honestly seems like a much more reasonable name than most that exist. You can still pronounce it, and it makes him stand out easier. If someone sees freddy and a long string of characters they can assume it's him, it doesn't hide his identity in any way and does the opposite for him so it doesn't mess with the game that much

but yeah naming policy is a meme lol
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #445199

Karp wrote:I dont see why you'd say that name is bad just make a nickname like freddy vonbro, or just call him freddy. It honestly seems like a much more reasonable name than most that exist. You can still pronounce it, and it makes him stand out easier. If someone sees freddy and a long string of characters they can assume it's him, it doesn't hide his identity in any way and does the opposite for him so it doesn't mess with the game that much

but yeah naming policy is a meme lol
Yea that about sums up my position here. I guess if MSO and everyone are ruling against me, then there is nothing I can do, but I also feel like this situation is being treated as if I was making names just to piss off the admins and see how far I could toe the line when that's simply not the case. My only objective was to make a funny name that would make people laugh, all of them did achieve that.

The complaint is about not being able to use the name, it's that there is nothing in the rules which would have given me the knowledge that I could receive an appearance ban for using that name. If someone makes a good faith effort to follow the rules they should not be given a harsh punishment on technicality. I can't even edit how my character looks..
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #445202

I believe that you are trying to just be funny. Once upon a time I made an AI who's name was a mix of 40 capital and lower case O's. I was pretending to be a spooky ghost. It lasted for all of one station announcement. If you give a name here, it's reasonable and gets approved, I'll lift the ban but you need to stick with it for the rest of the week.

You'll also likely want to avoid pushing the limits of naming policy for a while. I hear there's supposedly a naming policy rewrite in the works somewhere.

To other admins, if he gives a good answer here and you wanna approve it and oift it do it. I'm going to bed.
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #445212

Fregogliobara Teracucci, this name was bestowed on me by admin so I assume it's acceptable.

Otherwise Freddy Alarms.
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #445707

Me and Banski worked this out, Banski and I, and are now best pals again.Sweet friendship with lots of privileges, maybe that does not apply to the daily player of tg /, but this is fine because we do not give them any inconvenience. I talked about them as my friends in a trick to complete the appeal. You may say, "But this is not a stab," and this will be where you are wrong. It's a complaint.The truth is that total victory is achieved, and both sides are happy, and spectators can go to themselves. We did not need you! How do you feel she has been exploited? Haha, is not it good? Make some eggs, we'll eat them! This is the kind of privilege that I think, you cook, we eat the child. It is a hierarchy which is a good thing. Everyone suits a certain place in the world, it would be immoral to not encourage people to fill the position that will make them happy.
Last edited by PKPenguin321 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed like 50 embedded youtube videos
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #447406

This seems to be mostly resolved by the person complaining/the admin involved, but I feel the need to say this.
Your name was terrible, you've been pushing the line on naming policy and had two previous bans for making stupid names. Clearly you weren't getting the message, Nabski wasn't unjustified in applying an appearance ban.
Rule 7 wrote:7. If you regularly come close to breaking the rules without actually breaking them, it will be treated as the rules being broken.
Repeated instances of the same rules being broken may be met with harsher consequences. Baiting people into situations where you can report them to admins will be dealt with harshly.
This complaint is denied.