[KangTut] Ban for Accidentally Killing Self With Machine Placed in Middle of Hallways

Appeals which have been closed.
Toronto88
Byond Username: Booboobug

[KangTut] Ban for Accidentally Killing Self With Machine Placed in Middle of Hallways

Post by Toronto88 » #444847

Byond account and character name: Stephen Weisgarber, Spankmaster
Banning admin: KangTut
Ban type (What are you banned from?): 1 Day Ban
Ban reason and length:
You have been banned by KangTut.
Reason: Overloaded an antimatter engine in the main hall during an extended round, and claimed he had no idea what it was. He appeared to be the only casualty. Don't play with things you don't know anything about.

This is a temporary ban, it will be removed in 1440 minutes. The round ID is 95322.
Time ban was placed (including time zone): Just now
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Bagil
Your side of the story: Well I spawned in to the round and was informed that we were on code green so I couldn't have weapons displayed. I changed into a casual security uniform and went on patrol. I was walking around the halls when I found some kind of poorly drawn, giant machine sitting in the middle of the hallway. I had never seen this before and thought it might be some kind of unique event, or cool toy that has been provided for the crew to play with. I examine it and see this:
That's an antimatter reactor section

This device was built using a plasma life-form that seems to increase plasma's natural ability to react with neutrinos while reducing the combustibility.
I clicked on it to see what I could do with it, and saw a few options which I don't remember, none of them very explanatory. There was an option to increase or decrease the amount of something (I do not remember exactly what it was as I have never used this machine ever and had no idea what it was), so I started pressing the plus button to see if anything would happen. Suddenly an explosion slowly radiated out, killing me and making a hole in the floor.

Why you think you should be unbanned: It was genuinely an accident, and according to the ban reason I was the only one who died. I had no idea what this thing was, and I figured that if it is sitting in the main hall for any crew to touch it must not be very dangerous. I have literally never seen someone build a singularity or supermatter in the middle of a busy hallway, I had no idea this thing was an engine. The panel was open to the public so I figured I'd experiment with it, as I would with any new machine I find in game.

After clicking a couple of buttons I exploded and had no chance to fix things as my body no longer existed. I immediately ahelped to apologize and explain what was going on. I understand why KangTut banned me, but I do not think that someone accidentally blowing themselves up is a valid ban reason. This is like a scientist blowing a hole in toxins while experimenting with bombs, except even more benign as I had literally 0 idea what I was touching and just wanted to participate in whatever was going on that led to people constructing this giant machine in the middle of a busy hallway.

Even people in deadchat were saying "why would you build this in the middle of the halls if you don't want people who don't know what they're doing to come see what it is". I had no way of knowing it would cause an explosion, and if I did I would not have done it. This game is full of ways you can accidentally kill yourself if you don't know what you're doing, I have not seen a lot of other people getting banned for killing themselves through honest mistakes.
Toronto88

Re: [KangTut] Ban for Accidentally Killing Self With Machine Placed in Middle of Hallways

Post by Toronto88 » #444850

Some logs from dead chat:
DEAD: Scott Smith says, "Someone did put it in the hallway though, I mean. It was intended"
DEAD: Michael Rogus says, "True"
DEAD: Scott Smith says, "Learn by doing, or something"
DEAD: Stephen Weisgarber says, "i thought i was increasing the power output or something"
DEAD: Scott Smith says, "You did"
DEAD: Scott Smith says, "But"
DEAD: Scott Smith says, "It will also break if set too high"
DEAD: Scott Smith says, "And explode"
After this the convo moved on to other topics, no one seemed very interested in what happened with the reactor. KangTut asked using dsay if anyone had died in the explosion and no one responded, and then I was banned for killing myself.
Kangtut
Byond Username: KangTut

Re: [KangTut] Ban for Accidentally Killing Self With Machine Placed in Middle of Hallways

Post by Kangtut » #444851

I would have been more lenient had you not also planted modified kudzu earlier in the same day and caused massive amounts of grief. You caused the round to end as the captain immediately called the shuttle due to this and made the main hall into a crater. Yes the person who built it there should not have, but you were the only person to try to 'experiment' with it and you were the one to cause it to blow. Not even the aliens that were spawned touched it. I also find it suspect that you claim to not know what it is except one of the first things you do when you get into the round is overload the engine.
Toronto88

Post by Toronto88 » #444854

Kangtut wrote:I would have been more lenient had you not also planted modified kudzu earlier in the same day and caused massive amounts of grief. You caused the round to end as the captain immediately called the shuttle due to this and made the main hall into a crater. Yes the person who built it there should not have, but you were the only person to try to 'experiment' with it and you were the one to cause it to blow. Not even the aliens that were spawned touched it. I also find it suspect that you claim to not know what it is except one of the first things you do when you get into the round is overload the engine.
like I said I completely understand your side of this. That is the reason I ahelped though, I did not log onto the round intending to cause grief to anyone. I was just walking around the hall when I saw this thing, I did not know what it was, the sprite looked a lot less detailed than most machinery and I thought maybe it was something special added for just this round. I saw an assistant run up to the panel then run off, so I got curious and walked up to it. I thought it might produce an item or something if I increased the output, I did not know it was an engine or would cause an explosion.

I suppose there is no way to definitively prove to you that I did not have ill intentions when I did this, but I am telling you the truth. It is also why I immediately ahelped to explain myself. If I wanted to grief I might have been able to get away with it had I not informed you that I was responsible for what happened.

if I found a bomb laying in a hallway I would not just walk up and detonate it for fun. Besides the fact that this is grief, I know that it will just lead to me getting banned for doing dumb shit. Had I known this would happen I would obviously not have pressed any buttons on the machine. I was just curious and I fucked up. I sincerely apologize.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #444890

Denied. While accidents do happen and we won't hold that against people, you had had another incident with a destructive tool (kudzu) not that long ago, and generally speaking its a bad idea to mess with machinery that you don't understand. I'd advise in future being careful and referencing the wiki where you're uncertain. No one wants to have the station cratered because someone fiddled with (poorly placed) machinery without knowing what it does.

I understand this isn't the answer you were hoping for, and the apology is appreciated, but we do have to hold people to some standards, especially when it causes the round to be rushed to an end.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg