Guessing traitor uplink codes

imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Guessing traitor uplink codes

Post by imsxz » #445443

So basically with pen and headset, you can reliably guess the codes to them in a given round. Let's say you catch a guy, you know he's a traitor for whatever reason, and you want to get into his uplink because you're a greedy gamer.

In the situation above, would it be so bad to attempt to guess their uplink code knowing you have a good chance at getting it quickly with some uplink lobjects? Assume he hasn't told you what item his uplink is, either.

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Re: Guessing traitor uplink codes

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #445464

imsxz wrote:So basically with pen and headset, you can reliably guess the codes to them in a given round. Let's say you catch a guy, you know he's a traitor for whatever reason, and you want to get into his uplink because you're a greedy gamer.

In the situation above, would it be so bad to attempt to guess their uplink code knowing you have a good chance at getting it quickly with some uplink lobjects? Assume he hasn't told you what item his uplink is, either.
Congrats, that's metagaming.

You don't get to randomly start fucking with his headset or pen because you saw he had a chameleon kit. It's scumbaggy to even check people's headsets for syndicate keys just incase.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #445488

Not at all, if they don't like it then

1) Code a non-gameable way or
2) set your pref to PDA

You're allowed to know mechanics, ergo you're allowed to know uplinks are in the PDA/headset/pen.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #445492

Cobby wrote:You're allowed to know mechanics, ergo you're allowed to know uplinks are in the PDA/headset/pen.
You're allowed to know however you shouldn't actually arrest someone for breaking a window, take their pen, and start guessing rapidly.

Not to strawman argument but you're also allowed to know the AI can burn all of the station into a crisp with atmos. You're not allowed to make atmos immune to the AI sadly, though.
imsxz

Post by imsxz » #445500

Ayy Lemoh wrote:
Cobby wrote:You're allowed to know mechanics, ergo you're allowed to know uplinks are in the PDA/headset/pen.
You're allowed to know however you shouldn't actually arrest someone for breaking a window, take their pen, and start guessing rapidly.

Not to strawman argument but you're also allowed to know the AI can burn all of the station into a crisp with atmos. You're not allowed to make atmos immune to the AI sadly, though.
that is why i included in the OP originally that in this situation you're already sure that the person you have arrested is a traitor.

you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #445501

headset: currently 24 possible frequencies as well as easy scrollthrough, best you can do is disable scrollthrough and use the full range for 199 possible frequencies
pen: 360 possible rotations; add one more digit to get 3600, should be good enough?
PDA: 900 * 26 = 23400 possible passcodes, already fine
ishortjr33
Byond Username: Ishotjr8

Post by ishortjr33 » #445506

Can't security players just exercise suspension of disbelief and leave headsets/pens alone in the name of fun and to keep rounds interesting?
If they can't how about anybody with a mindshield implant can't access it?
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #445511

ishortjr33 wrote:Can't security players just [Anything that requires more than 90 IQ]
no
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
LSWraith
Byond Username: LSWraith

Post by LSWraith » #445552

Malkraz wrote:
ishortjr33 wrote:Can't security players just [Anything that requires more than 90 IQ]
no
fixed it better.

players gonna metagame/validhunt/etc.

to think that they're gonna abide by some ideal? you're kidding yourself.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #445555

SpaceManiac wrote:headset: currently 24 possible frequencies as well as easy scrollthrough, best you can do is disable scrollthrough and use the full range for 199 possible frequencies
pen: 360 possible rotations; add one more digit to get 3600, should be good enough?
PDA: 900 * 26 = 23400 possible passcodes, already fine
consider setting headset and pen to require, like, old-school safecrack to unlock. As in you first have to set it to one, use in-hand, then immediately set it to the second. That'd immediately bump the 24-frequency headset up to 576 combinations.

if someone leaves their uplink unlocked without locking it again though it's on them
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #445571

ishortjr33 wrote:Can't security players just exercise suspension of disbelief and leave headsets/pens alone in the name of fun and to keep rounds interesting?
There is a long-standing server culture that loathes any attempt at forcing players to "play dumb", i.e. pretending to ignore obvious game mechanics for the sake of RP. Rules accomodate this tradition with only one exception, if you find the nuke ops shuttle you must ignore it and you should not report it or attempt to attack it unless it's war ops (and this is a very recent ruling made by current headmins so it can be overturned in the future).

Sec is also quite sensitive on this issue since they are already allowed to know about innocent-looking syndie items and to investigate them, so asking them to ignore the fact that an uplink can be inside headset or pen and not just inside the PDA would be poorly received. The problem here is that those uplinks are too easy to crack, so it should be fixed through code not policy.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #445590

ishortjr33 wrote:Can't security players just exercise suspension of disbelief and leave headsets/pens alone in the name of fun and to keep rounds interesting?
The thing is, traitor gear is really cool and everyone wants to get it
Having fun and keeping rounds interesting is helped by getting traitor gear
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #445616

Fun and interesting means not artificially restricting what players can do.

I agree with Cobby's post.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #445623

Trying to RNG guess a Traitors uplink code does strike me as acting in poor form.

However, I feel this is more a symptom that a uplink in the headset has so few possible frequencies that checking RNG is pretty easy to do. You'd be better off doing what SpaceManiac said and increasing the range, or just remove the headset uplink. Something tells me the average player in the average round won't go through 3600 possible digits to find the code.

Besides, I think Security and/or non-antagonists getting access to Traitor/Syndicate gear through in game means can lead to interesting situations.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #445634

Steelpoint wrote:Something tells me the average player in the average round won't go through 3600 possible digits to find the code.
What 3600 digits? Checking headset frequencies for uplink takes 10 seconds. I do it all the time when there's suspicion.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #445641

Ayy Lemoh wrote:

There was already a policy thread on this

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... nk#p378859
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #445657

CosmicScientist wrote:Interesting is usually not HoS with an ebow. Fun for the HoS? Probably, they get valid gear whilst not being valid.

Generally fun and interesting coincides with not steamrolling the only antagonists unless you want mulligan enabled or whatever replacement antags is called.

If R&D still required tator kit for illegal research (that was thrown out with techwebs, right?) then there'd be a reason to get security to hand over uplinks or a traitor's stash instead of just having it for personal use.
They already have an ebow, it's called a taser
I was talking about stuff like emag for extra functions on machines, binary key to chill with the silicons, bluespace launchpad because it's cool, hardsuit for mobility, sleepy pen to fill with meds to heal your officers, etc
There's a lot of traitor gear that can be used for things other than validhunting
Also, sci still has illegal tech but the main restriction is points, since you can cheese it by printing a .357 speedloader
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #445703

- Normal hardsuits don't have fast mode
- sec confiscating the hypo is garbage and sometimes there's an emergency
- lotsa the emag stuff is useable as nonantag (although not always useful for sec), including emagging borgs (but you have to be careful to not be shit with it)
- there's even an emag function specifically FOR sec, the mask thing
- if you emag a chem dispenser you can make rezadone easily, which heals clone damage without cryo
- launchpads are just cool and underused
- binary key can be used to just talk to silicons too
Additionally
- cham kit to mess around
- soap because sec is probably a mess by now
- adrenals to cheat death
- cash to buy stuff from cargo

Sure all of it can be used to validhunt or grief, but there's other uses too, you just need to, well, not use it to validhunt
Also >"choose a better argument that isn't your existing argument"
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #445777

the cargo budget is the cargo points, this has been in since launch of economy

also this should be moved to coding feedback since the uplink codes are supposed to be randomized enough to prevent bruteforcing and quite frankly headset/pen uplinks could use removal or just add like a few extra zeroes onto the possible permutations
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #445780

iamgoofball wrote:the cargo budget is the cargo points, this has been in since launch of economy

also this should be moved to coding feedback since the uplink codes are supposed to be randomized enough to prevent bruteforcing and quite frankly headset/pen uplinks could use removal or just add like a few extra zeroes onto the possible permutations
gonna leave it here actually since it seems like the goal of the thread is to make a rule against brute forcing codes. but IMO a code solution would be a better fix
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #445784

Ayy Lemoh wrote:

I think if you actually look at the question in the original post then look at my response again you'd find the answer to your question.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #445792

PKPenguin321 wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:the cargo budget is the cargo points, this has been in since launch of economy

gonna leave it here actually since it seems like the goal of the thread is to make a rule against brute forcing codes. but IMO a code solution would be a better fix
yeah nah this doesn't need a rule, the fact it's brute forceable on pens/radios is frankly bug report worthy
imsxz

Post by imsxz » #446223

PKPenguin321 wrote:

I made this thread with the idea in mind that the listed game mechanic is an issue, the goal was to see if a code solution is needed or a policy solution. It seems like code so far and that's what I was hoping we'd conclude on.