Regarding felinids/catpeople

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Regarding felinids/catpeople

Post by Arianya » #446704

There's been some fairly heated debate on both github and the forums about this, and in light of the recent PR opened at oranges request, the headmin team has agreed that we are going to disable felinids/catpeople as a roundstart race on Sybil

We decided to do this because we're not content with the way that the poll for the codebase side has been handled, the reasons include:
Spoiler:
a) The Headmins haven't been consulted on a PR which removes/bypasses a config

b) Admins haven't been consulted on the removal of an admin tool (purrbation/mass purrbation)

c) The vote wasn't accurately worded for the intended action (wording was "Do you want felinids to remain in /tg/ as a chooseable species", not "Do you want felinids to be removed from the codebase" or equivelant)
This action isn't intended to ignore the opinions of either side. I do understand the views of people who voted "No", even if I disagree with them personally, but this was carried out in the worst possible manner in my own opinion.

Oranges stated reason for the poll/PR (that the issue remains divisive and creates headaches for maintainers) is understandable but not solved by this kind of polling on it again or trying to ram through removals.

If I ran this poll again next week, we'd almost certainly get a different result, and similarly if I ran it again the week after, and again and again, until the poll would (eventually) come back empty simply out of pure fatigue.

You cannot get to a definitive answer that will satisfy people on a divisive issue by re-polling on this stuff. If this removal goes ahead, we'd be back here in a year or less polling on reimplementing felinids, whether as a result of agitation on the repository or due to it becoming a politicized issue in headmin elections.

The reason the headmin team hadn't made a statement before now on this was due to not wanting to add fuel to the fire on what might have been a "prank", similar to ones that oranges has carried out on several occasions in the past, both on this and other topics. The statement of intent by oranges motivated us to make our view and intent known.

I understand there will be disappointment and even anger at this statement, and I apologize for the uncertainty this situation has created for players of /tg/. I wish I didn't have to write out 500 odd words on a racial choice in a 2D atmos simulator, but here we are.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Regarding felinids/catpeople

Post by BeeSting12 » #446706

It wouldn't create as many headaches for maintainers if he stopped entertaining removal PRs. It seems like a fair decision to me. Felinid haters have a server and people who play felinids or don't mind them have a server.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #446707

Implying this will stop their removal
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #446709

Yeah, this config change will probably only be around for eight more hours but whatever.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #446717

We had a long period of deliberation on this. We don't want want to disrespect either side of the vote, but we also don't agree with a complete removal when the vote margin is so close.
Some would say that this is a codebase issue only, but this affects the serverside configs (which oranges has bypassed with the removal), so it does concern us.
This is our solution. It's how it was a year ago and it worked fine, I don't expect it to be any different this time around.
obscolene

Post by obscolene » #446719

Nervere wrote:Some would say that this is a codebase issue only, but this affects the serverside configs (which oranges has bypassed with the removal), so it does concern us.
>making a feature toggle-able in the config magically makes it untouchable by coders
good joke
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #446721

still not good enough imo.

also codebase is seperate so if felinids are removed we dont bypass shit because we made configs to begin with.
obscolene

Post by obscolene » #446722

Qustinnus wrote:still not good enough imo.

also codebase is seperate so if felinids are removed we dont bypass shit because we made configs to begin with.
This 100%. That's like saying that the removal of a map from the codebase is "subverting the config" because you are removing the map instead of toggling it in the config. Same with gamemodes in rotation iirc.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Kraso
Byond Username: S0ldi3rKr4s0
Github Username: Kraseo

Post by Kraso » #446723

wow good job you did the EXACT same thing that happened 2 headmin terms ago
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #446724

Last term we unified the configs and now it's been reverted.
reeeee

Also imagine causing this much drama over a few pixels.

I think my compromise is a good one. Catpeople get removed in return for goofballs martyrdom and he never touches /tg/ again. It's a good trade.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
Kraso

Post by Kraso » #446727

Rustledjimm wrote:Last term we unified the configs and now it's been reverted.
reeeee

I think my compromise is a good one. Catpeople get removed in return for goofballs martyrdom and he never touches /tg/ again. It's a good trade.
i've got a better idea how about we gitban goofball and KEEP him gitbanned because every time he doesn't get his way he throws a PR shitfit
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #446729

Kraso wrote:
reeeee

i've got a better idea how about we gitban goofball and KEEP him gitbanned because every time he doesn't get his way he throws a PR shitfit
goof didnt make any of the PRs why are you all so miffed about goof

goof even told people to fuck off on felinid removal PRs because we created a special rule to stop removal drama.
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Post by Shezza » #446737

I feel like this is the most sane option.

This is how it was a year ago.
Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #446740

obscolene wrote:Implying this will stop their removal
Implying oranges will merge it, implying the server will stay updated with it, implying that it can't simply be reverted in a testmerge, et cetera
Shezza

Post by Shezza » #446742

subject217 wrote:
Implying oranges will merge it, implying the server will stay updated with it, implying that it can't simply be reverted in a testmerge, et cetera
implying we can't just repowar and render oranges a powerless cuck

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
Cw3040
Byond Username: Cw3040

Post by Cw3040 » #446744

Shezza wrote:
subject217 wrote:
"Muh tewwastation"
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #446745

Shezza wrote:
subject217 wrote:
"We"?

I'm pretty sure you're permabanned.
Cw3040

Post by Cw3040 » #446746

iamgoofball wrote:
Shezza wrote:
subject217 wrote:
"We"?

I'm pretty sure you're permabanned.
shezza is talking out of his ass about terrastation, the server that will flop
Spoiler:
GREYTIDE STATIONWIDE
ImageImage
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #446748

Shezza wrote:
subject217 wrote:
"we"
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #446755

This is likely the best compromise we can get at this time.

Catpeople are nonetheless going to remain a major source of contention within the community so long as they are in as a round start species. If the last two years have been any indication.

I'm also concerned that this config change can be easily reverted in half a year or longer. Rendering this decision a moot point. No decision is permanent.
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #446756

people in venezuela argue about whether or not they should keep their dysfunctional economic system
people in britain argue whether or not they should leave the EU
people on tgstation argue whether or not the game they play should be nekopara vol. 13
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #446758

SERVER WARS GO GO GO (NO NO NO)
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #446761

Shezza wrote:
subject217 wrote:
"we"

forking it and becoming a downstream is also an option yes :^)
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #446762

The people complaining won't stop complaining until theyre removed no matter how many concessions are made unfortunately due to their raging autism but I'd bet the people for it would move on in a month. If you're actually advocating for all this stupid shit to cease getting rid of them is the fastest way to do it.

The argument of it being a few cosmetic pixels goes both ways, are they really worth all this trouble and arguing?

Edit: not to mention undoing previous headmins work on unifying config for the sake of a half measure
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Cw3040

Post by Cw3040 » #446766

Nilons wrote:The people complaining won't stop complaining until theyre removed no matter how many concessions are made unfortunately due to their raging autism but I'd bet the people for it would move on in a month. If you're actually advocating for all this stupid shit to cease getting rid of them is the fastest way to do it.

The argument of it being a few cosmetic pixels goes both ways, are they really worth all this trouble and arguing?

Edit: not to mention undoing previous headmins work on unifying config for the sake of a half measure
go back to citadel furfag degenerate
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #446769

Cw3040 wrote:
Nilons wrote:I'd bet the people for it would move on in a month. If you're actually advocating for all this stupid shit to cease getting rid of them is the fastest way to do it.

FUCKING REEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAD
You are as bad as anyone. I don't think you even fucking smelled what they said. If you did read it you might be slightly offended but see it is reasonable and brings up at least one new point. You have no point. The best point I can get out of this is that you actually want catgirls and you're trying to look stupid on purpose.
Cw3040

Post by Cw3040 » #446770

confused rock wrote:
Cw3040 wrote:
Nilons wrote:I'd bet the people for it would move on in a month. If you're actually advocating for all this stupid shit to cease getting rid of them is the fastest way to do it.

FUCKING REEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAD
You are as bad as anyone. I don't think you even fucking smelled what they said. If you did read it you might be slightly offended but see it is reasonable and brings up at least one new point. You have no point. The best point I can get out of this is that you actually want catgirls and you're trying to look stupid on purpose.
that is precisely what i'm doing
Kraso

Post by Kraso » #446772

Qustinnus wrote:
Kraso wrote:
reeeee

goof didnt make any of the PRs why are you all so miffed about goof

goof even told people to fuck off on felinid removal PRs because we created a special rule to stop removal drama.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #446774

Shezza wrote:
subject217 wrote:
youd be a shit headmin but lets imagine you did shit well
>all the catgirls will go to your station
>most coders dislike felinids
>the ones that do are either garbage or will care more about upstream

honestly please do make terrastation it sounds like heaven. oranges wouldnt lose much leverage at any point here and if anything only get more
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #446775

That doesn’t make much sense.

The majority of people voted to disable cats. Why are you forcing the majority to switch servers? Bagil is always med-high pop, as such I’d assume the majority of votes for disabling cats stemmed from Bagil.

If you’re gonna turn cats off on only one server, it should be bagil. This looks like catmins way of getting what they want, regardless of what the majority of the community wants.
[this space reserved]
Cw3040

Post by Cw3040 » #446776

wesoda25 wrote:That doesn’t make much sense.

The majority of people voted to disable cats. Why are you forcing the majority to switch servers? Bagil is always med-high pop, as such I’d assume the majority of votes for disabling cats stemmed from Bagil.

If you’re gonna turn cats off on only one server, it should be bagil. This looks like catmins way of getting what they want, regardless of what the majority of the community wants.
Majority by one vote, soda. No matter what server is chosen, half of the playerbase will go to sybil.
Spoiler:
GREYTIDE STATIONWIDE
ImageImage
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #446777

you say majority like it wasn't literally on the line with it being almost being a 50/50 split.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #446778

Double post but different topic

Shezza I was in your cat discord for 5 minutes, and as degenerate as some of the shit I saw in there was, the thing that most interested me (aside from the headmin(s?) and admins in there) was a certain coder giving you the code base for a cat server.

Don’t kid yourself, you know that won’t get off the ground, ever. Especially considering there’s no motivation for it anymore.
[this space reserved]
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #446782

Cw3040 wrote:

Majority by one vote, soda. No matter what server is chosen, half of the playerbase will go to sybil.
then make that the cat players

edit: also some people that voted yes are human players voting for their friends so they might not even switch.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #446784

we're still gonna remove them
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #446786

oranges wrote:we're still gonna remove them
WE'RE JUST GONNA KILL 'EM
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #446788

oranges wrote:we're still gonna remove them
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #446789

I am sick and tired the disingenuous bullshit put out by Nervere and Arianya
The poll result is clear, the votes are clear, it is absolutely not just a github issue
at least 50% of the playerbase is fed up with this fucking feature
There is no other feature that is this divisive and still kept in the game
it is utterly spineless to ignore this result and I will not do it
I tell you waht though, I'm willing to be reasonable, So I'll give you 48 hours to make a case to MSo
if you can convince him I'll listen
otherwise get the fuck off my case
obscolene

Post by obscolene » #446790

oranges wrote:I am sick and tired the disingenuous bullshit put out by Nervere and Arianya
The poll result is clear, the votes are clear, it is absolutely not just a github issue
I tell you waht though, I'm willing to be reasonable, So I'll give you 48 hours to make a case to MSo
Last edited by obscolene on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #446791

goddamnit i dont wanna wait another 48 hours :(
obscolene

Post by obscolene » #446792

Qustinnus wrote:goddamnit i dont wanna wait another 48 hours :(
same but at least we now have a definitive deadline
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #446802

THE SHOWDOWN THAT WAS ALWAYS MEANT TO BE.

MAINTAINERS V HEADMINS IN THE AGNI KAI TO DECIDE THE FATE OF THE SERVER.
[this space reserved]
Shezza

Post by Shezza » #446806

Qustinnus wrote:
Shezza wrote:
subject217 wrote:

honestly please do make terrastation it sounds like heaven. oranges wouldnt lose much leverage at any point here and if anything only get more
Terrastation?

captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #446812

oranges wrote:I am sick and tired the disingenuous bullshit put out by Nervere and Arianya
i mean do whaterever you want with "yoyr" code but lol @ taking this stance when this shit's been poleld like 2 (3?) times before and was a decisive vote in the other direction, and now it passes by one single vote because someone in your camp decided to engineer more drama about it

seems like every single time shit like this happens its because people are engineering drama about it and using their engineered drama to point and say "look at all the strife and probles mti causes!!"

lol mayvbe you should follow your own advice and have a fucking spine. just say you're nixing it because you don't like it and the poll was a convenient excuse. don't fault them for not following democracy when it was obvious this was never going to come down to democracy because any time the poll ends in favor of the feature it just resets the clock to the next vote.

fucking baby.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #446821

captain sawrge wrote: lol mayvbe you should follow your own advice and have a fucking spine. just say you're nixing it because you don't like it and the poll was a convenient excuse. don't fault them for not following democracy when it was obvious this was never going to come down to democracy because any time the poll ends in favor of the feature it just resets the clock to the next vote.

fucking baby.
t. meteor man ;)
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #446825

Shezza wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:
Shezza wrote:
subject217 wrote:

Terrastation?
isnt that what you called that shit
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #446827

captain sawrge wrote:
i mean do whaterever you want with "yoyr" code but lol @ taking this stance when this shit's been poleld like 2 (3?) times before and was a decisive vote in the other direction, and now it passes by one single vote because someone in your camp decided to engineer more drama about it

seems like every single time shit like this happens its because people are engineering drama about it and using their engineered drama to point and say "look at all the strife and probles mti causes!!"

lol mayvbe you should follow your own advice and have a fucking spine. just say you're nixing it because you don't like it and the poll was a convenient excuse. don't fault them for not following democracy when it was obvious this was never going to come down to democracy because any time the poll ends in favor of the feature it just resets the clock to the next vote.

fucking baby.
back to /d/ with you
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #446841

Sawrge makes a point, I suppose.

Sadly, I only know him as the guy who spams meteors.

I can not take his opinion on anything, especially the thing he admin abused for because he thought it was dumb, as a valid opinion because of this now.
Kraso

Post by Kraso » #446878

>tfw you can't find an argument solid enough that you have to rely on "its le admin who spawned meteors"

redditors truly are scum
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #446881

Kraso wrote:>tfw you can't find an argument solid enough that you have to rely on "its le admin who spawned meteors"

redditors truly are scum
only a redditor would think a bunch of ad hominem, 2 giant images, and "dont @ me" needs to be taken seriously
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes