Roundstart Suicide as Antagonist/Wizard

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Roundstart Suicide as Antagonist/Wizard

Post by Steelpoint » #448210

Bottom post of the previous page:

In recent time I've noticed a major trend of Wizard players rushing to commit suicide as fast as possible. This extends usually out of a desire to attain a "top score" for fastest suicide, or out of other desires such as a dislike of the round type.

I believe that round start suiciding as a Wizard, or any antagonist in general, is in poor form to the game and should not be something that people do. The ultimate objective of an antagonist is to drive the events of the round, but by killing themselves before the round has even had a chance to start, they rob the round of any interesting events, waste everyone's time, but they also deny other people the opportunity to take the place of that antagonist that was taken for a bad joke.

(A older Headmin ruling did technically state that round start suiciding as a important role is a bannable offence, though I think that is more in relation to Head of Staff roles, nonetheless I think it is worth mentioning.)

While Antagonists are, under the rules, allowed to do (almost) anything, I nonetheless believe that this act is in poor form and should be heavily discouraged, such as the individual losing their access to that antagonist for a short period, as it does not serve to be conductive to an interesting game.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Roundstart Suicide as Antagonist/Wizard

Post by oranges » #448487

>he's still persisting with the nobody likes wizard line of attack

hyperlul
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #448488

I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds. Heroes don't always receive thanks.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
Boris
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes

Post by Boris » #448498

IC issue, antags can do what they want.
current admin that was formerly retired due to inactivity
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #448501

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Ispiria wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:This is already bannable
Citation badly needed
cant find the ban anymore since it's really really old but it happened before
thought kor did the ban but i cant find it in his bans either so honestly i have no idea where the citation is, but i dont actually care enough about this to keep digging
ironically kor was the first player i really saw do suicide wizard on tg roundstart repeatedly

but punishing for this is the dumbest thing an admin can do

It literally doesn't harm anyone except the person who suicides
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #448518

yeah i think it's dumb to ban for too, just wanted to point out precedent although admittedly i didn't do a very good job of that
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #448582

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Ispiria wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:This is already bannable
Citation badly needed
cant find the ban anymore since it's really really old but it happened before
thought kor did the ban but i cant find it in his bans either so honestly i have no idea where the citation is, but i dont actually care enough about this to keep digging
I can't really see kor banning anyone for this considering the fact I've watched him named himself "suicide" and then suicide as a wizard.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #448583

Malkraz wrote:I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds. Heroes don't always receive thanks.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #448646

NoxVS wrote:.
It’s an open source codebase if you don’t like the mode the duty is on you to

1) fix it to where you will play it
2) not play it/ optin to the role

Also being stealthy is not actively avoiding the conflict (although I’m sure there’s some people who just don’t do anything), and surely you realize traitor/changeling typically come in multiple AND the round doesn’t end when they’re all trash.

Trying to claim it’s my job to make sure you find the opt-in role enjoyable is dumb both as an admin as well as a player. Ending the round immediately is just shitty to the point where rule 1 should be enforced.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #448648

Boris wrote:IC issue, antags can do what they want.
Ending the round immediately to troll players is about as ooc as it can get
Suicidalpickles
Byond Username: SuicidalPickles

Post by Suicidalpickles » #448662

i think ive suicided like six times or so by now as wiz, so I'd be due for six wizard bans if it were bannable

usually i do it when im like feeling stumped on a gimmick or something instead of just boredly murderboning through with fireball spam like any other wizard, just because i manage to roll it so many times you can only do so much

can also agree on summon magic/guns/events being utterly shit with their round delay
Doritos
Byond Username: Zaross

Post by Doritos » #448664

if they don't want to play wizard then aid them by banning them from wizard.
lol
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #448681

Doritos wrote:if they don't want to play wizard then aid them by banning them from wizard.
okay but what if they do wanna play wizard because they think its funny to suicide as wizard
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #448686

Nilons wrote:
Doritos wrote:if they don't want to play wizard then aid them by banning them from wizard.
okay but what if they do wanna play wizard because they think its funny to suicide as wizard
It's not really fair to people who are trying to roll wizard and actually do something with it.

Anyway, I think it'd be really hard for admins to produce a precedent for suiciding being disallowed but it could be established now.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #448692

Suicidalpickles wrote:i think ive suicided like six times or so by now as wiz, so I'd be due for six wizard bans if it were bannable

usually i do it when im like feeling stumped on a gimmick or something instead of just boredly murderboning through with fireball spam like any other wizard, just because i manage to roll it so many times you can only do so much

can also agree on summon magic/guns/events being utterly shit with their round delay
Ahelp to get replaced and/or set your preferences off.

We don't retroactively enforce rules that we add so you're due for 0 bans.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #448696

leibniz wrote:
Nilons wrote:
It's not really fair to people who are trying to roll wizard and actually do something with it.

Anyway, I think it'd be really hard for admins to produce a precedent for suiciding being disallowed but it could be established now.
Yeah I agree.

I think suiciding is fine if it didn't instantly end the round and that wasn't people's explicit intent to do so. If a rule would be generated, it should explicitly cover individuals who suicide with the intent to end the round for others.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #448703

leibniz wrote:
Nilons wrote:
fair actually
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #448705

what if i want to roll wizard to suicide with the ban hammer
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #448707

Cobby wrote: Ahelp to get replaced and/or set your preferences off.
This, except it should take crewman from the station in replacement rather than ghosts. The crew playing were trying their roll for something and should have a priority over ghosts who are observing and tend to get the freebies as it is. This is especially needed for such rare things as wizard, which I personally haven't been in months upon months.
Nilons wrote: okay but what if they do wanna play wizard because they think its funny to suicide as wizard
This is like reading WGW. Stop entertaining such stupidity to the detriment of everybody else.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #448780

Suiciding as wizard should secretively ban people from the role
that or headmins should randomly turn on mulligan and watch people get salty from suiciding but the round continuing
both would be pretty funny but unlikely to happen
sentient_loaf
Byond Username: Sentient_loaf

Post by sentient_loaf » #448837

Malkraz's arguemnts relies on everyone hating wizard.Forcing your view of fun on other people is just a dick move.Suiciding roundstart as a wizard serves no purpose other than to stop others from playing because you don't like it."Blob is dumb,so I'm going select yes to the spawn than suicide."It's just dumb.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #448848

sentient_loaf wrote:Malkraz's arguemnts relies on everyone hating wizard.Forcing your view of fun on other people is just a dick move.Suiciding roundstart as a wizard serves no purpose other than to stop others from playing because you don't like it."Blob is dumb,so I'm going select yes to the spawn than suicide."It's just dumb.
You chose the wrong metaphor. Blob players who suicide are heros. Hell an admin gave me a blob token for it.
[this space reserved]
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #448851

Blob is a separate issue since they have a tendency of spawning very late into the round, usually when the crew is trying to evacuate, and as such the crew are less able to deal with the Blob.

Claiming you suicide as a Wizard because you don't want to play the role, or can't think of something to do with it, seems like a very poor excuse. In the past people just turn off their Wiz pref, or more likely they tell the admins they don't wanna play the role and the admins then offer it to a ghosted player (of which there are usually a few lurking around).
Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #448866

wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #448867

Malkraz wrote:Image
literally laughed out loud
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
CreationPro
Byond Username: Solar Marine

Post by CreationPro » #448875

Very good, wholesome meme, good job!
terranaut wrote:Scared? My stand 「CLOWN WORLD」 and it's 「FUNNY COMPANY」will defeat your weak stand in moments.
Terry the Moth, Melody Jean the roboticist and S.O.L. the cyborg.
I will not change my avatar but if I did I'd have this good KVADRATNIY boy.
Spoiler:
IkeTG wrote:love is okay
CreationPro wrote: i love you
IkeTG wrote:love is no longer okay
Old quotes and stuff
Spoiler:
obscolene wrote:I super glued my PC case shut please don't ask why.
<Pretendo> well Ia ksed in banbus
<AurxSS13> IA KSED! IA KSED! THE BLACK TYPO WITH A THOUSAND ERRORS!

<scaredofshadows> I randomly take buttons away from people
<scaredofshadows> because I am now rogue
<hornygranny> host is rouge
<Ikarrus> blow the admins
trytryagain66 wrote: I accidently axed a guy said I was sorry to him, then he punched me so I axed his head off.
Hibbles wrote:Man, I love CP. I wish we had more CP on the server.
Antonkr wrote:<antonkr> tfw you will never lick hg|works delicious sexy mustache
<antonkr> ;_;
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #448877

sentient_loaf wrote:Malkraz's arguemnts relies on everyone hating wizard.Forcing your view of fun on other people is just a dick move.Suiciding roundstart as a wizard serves no purpose other than to stop others from playing because you don't like it."Blob is dumb,so I'm going select yes to the spawn than suicide."It's just dumb.
Banning should be a punishment for doing something that negatively affects other players. Committing suicide at roundstart as wizard doesn't have a negative effect on anyone, because the round either restarts before you have time to do anything (so no "baww he ruined my project by ending the round") or admins mulligan it and then it just goes on as a regular round.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #448883

Grazyn wrote:
Banning should be a punishment for doing something that negatively affects other players. Committing suicide at roundstart as wizard doesn't have a negative effect on anyone, because the round either restarts before you have time to do anything (so no "baww he ruined my project by ending the round") or admins mulligan it and then it just goes on as a regular round.
For reference, we can't mulligan the round unless we know beforehand the wizard is going to do that, since the round ends almost immediately on their death (give or take 5 seconds or so).
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #448884

Mulligan only makes traitors/changelings, right? So that's even better if it doesn't get mulliganed, the round restarts and it's a fresh start with fresh odds for whatever other interesting mode
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #448925

Can admins mess with player settings? If so instead of banning them when you see someone suicide as a wizard just turn their wizard preference off without telling them.
--Crocodillo

SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #449037

WarbossLincoln wrote:Can admins mess with player settings? If so instead of banning them when you see someone suicide as a wizard just turn their wizard preference off without telling them.
This is a terrible idea. Changing someone's settings without telling them is inherently confusing and unexpected and basically a cardinal sin of UX.

Banning wizards for not murderboning would be pretty in-character though. Last time I rolled wizard and didn't murderbone the admins just spawned another wizard who did.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #449049

SpaceManiac wrote:Banning wizards for not murderboning would be pretty in-character though.
It's either antags can do whatever they want besides obvious bad stuff or antags must follow a strict set of guidelines that is basically the reverse version of HRP guidelines. Forced murderboning sounds just as lame as forced roleplay. Also, Friendly wizards may be boring but that is no fucking excuse to decide:

no you're playing antag wrong you fucking dumbass you're supposed to recall the shuttle 100 times while gibbing everyone are you fucking aut- dude, are you even listenin- yep you're banned
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #449076

Grazyn wrote:Mulligan only makes traitors/changelings, right? So that's even better if it doesn't get mulliganed, the round restarts and it's a fresh start with fresh odds for whatever other interesting mode
Or you could just not suicide and we could actually play an interesting mode that isn't traitor/ling without having to hope RNG gives us a non-traitor/ling round in the future.
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #449157

Ayy Lemoh wrote:
SpaceManiac wrote:Banning wizards for not murderboning would be pretty in-character though.
It's either antags can do whatever they want besides obvious bad stuff or antags must follow a strict set of guidelines that is basically the reverse version of HRP guidelines. Forced murderboning sounds just as lame as forced roleplay. Also, Friendly wizards may be boring but that is no fucking excuse to decide:

no you're playing antag wrong you fucking dumbass you're supposed to recall the shuttle 100 times while gibbing everyone are you fucking aut- dude, are you even listenin- yep you're banned
Honestly Wizard is so specced for death and destruction you basically have to murderbone if you don't want to be memed on for being "too stealthy"
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #449174

WarbossLincoln wrote:Can admins mess with player settings? If so instead of banning them when you see someone suicide as a wizard just turn their wizard preference off without telling them.
This would be adminbuse. Either make a rule about it or piss off. The idea of passive aggressively going behind a player's back because they did something you don't like but won't actually stand up to them is incredibly stupid.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #449176

Isn't that what they do already with hidden notes?
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #449188

Wheres my NPC emote for

"modifying someones game preferences and secret notes are exactly the same"
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #449190

You're right, secret notes are much worse. You can still notice your preference is turned off and turn it back on, hidden notes you don't even know they're there and even if you know, you can't remove them
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #449191

Anyway, the best way to communicate this would be a red prompt text they get when they spawn in telling them to ahelp if they dont want to be a wizard.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #449192

leibniz wrote:Anyway, the best way to communicate this would be a red prompt text they get when they spawn in telling them to ahelp if they dont want to be a wizard.
I think they commit suicide specifically to avoid having to observe a wizard round, which can easily turn into friendly wizard aka extended or boring mulligan round
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #449196

Grazyn wrote:
leibniz wrote:Anyway, the best way to communicate this would be a red prompt text they get when they spawn in telling them to ahelp if they dont want to be a wizard.
I think they commit suicide specifically to avoid having to observe a wizard round, which can easily turn into friendly wizard aka extended or boring mulligan round
Before, fine.
If it becomes disallowed, then they should opt out of the wizard roll.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #449314

I think when wizards do interesting things it's fun
like artificer wizards
4 apprentice wizards
4 mindswap apprentice wizards
a murderbone wizard with a good loadout of spells like fireball repulse ei-nath who puts up a hearty fight before dying 20-30 minutes in (almost like a rev round in length)
rod meme wizards
a wizard who takes blink 5 times and spams it until they eventually get dunked

all funny and interesting to me honestly
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #449371

5x magic missile is quite simply the most fun you can have as a wizard. Bonus points if you convince admins to play the song
Grazyn wrote:You're right, secret notes are much worse. You can still notice your preference is turned off and turn it back on, hidden notes you don't even know they're there and even if you know, you can't remove them
Secret notes are only used for things that legitimately need to be secret, and it's just some words on your notes page. Completely different from modifying someone's ingame experience passive-aggressively because you don't like them.
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #449390

Antags can do whatever they want, right?

Well, the most antagonistic thing that one of the most powerful antags we have can do is steal the role from other people and piss it away for no reason.

I think it's fine and I don't see why we should make some stupid rule telling people how to enjoy their game experience just because "suicide wizard"is a fad right now. Give it a month and people won't do it anymore.
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #449392

SaveVatznick wrote:Antags can do whatever they want, right?

Well, the most antagonistic thing that one of the most powerful antags we have can do is steal the role from other people and piss it away for no reason.

I think it's fine and I don't see why we should make some stupid rule telling people how to enjoy their game experience just because "suicide wizard"is a fad right now. Give it a month and people won't do it anymore.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #449410

Antags can't do whatever they want and this usually is restricted to OOC offenses like 4th wall breaking, metacomming, being creepy enough to weird people out OOCly, etc.

Suiciding with the intent to screw people OOCly, to me at least, is equivalent to those offenses even though the explicit action is IC.

I don't understand the fad argument, it shouldn't be okay at all. Waiting until the meme dies won't make it any more enjoyable for people if you do it once in a blue moon.
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #449422

BeeSting12 wrote:
SaveVatznick wrote:Antags can do whatever they want, right?

SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #449428

Cobby wrote:Antags can't do whatever they want and this usually is restricted to OOC offenses like 4th wall breaking, metacomming, being creepy enough to weird people out OOCly, etc.

Suiciding with the intent to screw people OOCly, to me at least, is equivalent to those offenses even though the explicit action is IC.

I don't understand the fad argument, it shouldn't be okay at all. Waiting until the meme dies won't make it any more enjoyable for people if you do it once in a blue moon.
Ok, so maybe it's just people deciding to roleplay being a suicidal wizard that doesn't want to kill anyone. It just seems kinda dumb to have to make a rule about it when people are gonna stop anyways and it's funny for as long as it lasts. Once people get tired of it everyone will stop because it won't be entertaining anymore and it'll die down. If it happens once in a blue moon it'll be funny again, just like a fail rev round when a miner gets on the shuttle. The point of the game is to have fun.

The game corrects itself and I really don't think it'll be helpful to make a rule & bwoink people / antag ban them / turn off their preferences / other dumb shit. It'll just make admins look bad when them staying quiet will let the issue resolve all the same.

Do we need to have another cooked up poll about whether people think Suicide Wiz is bannable?
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #449439

Cobby wrote:Antags can't do whatever they want and this usually is restricted to OOC offenses like 4th wall breaking, metacomming, being creepy enough to weird people out OOCly, etc.

So would I be incorrect in saying you believe antags who essentially end the round for people and force them to wait for the next one should be bannable? Since that's what the problem is here, suicide wizards force the round to end and is generally unfun. Right?
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #449443

Why is forcing the round to end at roundstart unfun if you're not an antag, honest question
Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #449452

Being forced to alt-tab and wait while an aspie murderbones the entire station for 40 minutes is worse. Are you losers honestly complaining you had to "wait" 2 minutes for a better gamemode
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #449461

Malkraz wrote: ..
Mode popularity has been polled among the players. The gamemode chances are set to respect the results of that. People who just instantly end rounds they don't like are just shitting on others who prefer a variety of gamemodes.