Roundstart Suicide as Antagonist/Wizard

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Roundstart Suicide as Antagonist/Wizard

Post by Steelpoint » #448210

Bottom post of the previous page:

In recent time I've noticed a major trend of Wizard players rushing to commit suicide as fast as possible. This extends usually out of a desire to attain a "top score" for fastest suicide, or out of other desires such as a dislike of the round type.

I believe that round start suiciding as a Wizard, or any antagonist in general, is in poor form to the game and should not be something that people do. The ultimate objective of an antagonist is to drive the events of the round, but by killing themselves before the round has even had a chance to start, they rob the round of any interesting events, waste everyone's time, but they also deny other people the opportunity to take the place of that antagonist that was taken for a bad joke.

(A older Headmin ruling did technically state that round start suiciding as a important role is a bannable offence, though I think that is more in relation to Head of Staff roles, nonetheless I think it is worth mentioning.)

While Antagonists are, under the rules, allowed to do (almost) anything, I nonetheless believe that this act is in poor form and should be heavily discouraged, such as the individual losing their access to that antagonist for a short period, as it does not serve to be conductive to an interesting game.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Re: Roundstart Suicide as Antagonist/Wizard

Post by leibniz » #449461

Malkraz wrote: ..
Mode popularity has been polled among the players. The gamemode chances are set to respect the results of that. People who just instantly end rounds they don't like are just shitting on others who prefer a variety of gamemodes.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #449463

I don't know why you keep bringing up this irrelevant popularity
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #449468

You'd understand if your IQ wasn't 5-10 standard deviations below my own.
Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #449469

leibniz wrote:You'd understand if your IQ wasn't 5-10 standard deviations below my own.
I'm denying this wit transplant.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #449471

leibniz wrote:
Mode popularity has been polled among the players. The gamemode chances are set to respect the results of that. People who just instantly end rounds they don't like are just shitting on others who prefer a variety of gamemodes.
Instantly ending the round doesn't affect that though, the chances don't change. There was a 12.8% chance to have a wizard round. The wizard suicided. New round, again 12.8% chance to have a wizard round.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #449477

It does have an effect in that its wasting an antag pick on someone who functionally does not want to use it and denying other people the chance to play it.

I consider wiz suicide an OOC issue since there is no logical in universe reason for a Wizard to kill themselves immediately at round start and that it is being done for OOC reasons of skipping the round
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #449478

Steelpoint wrote: I consider wiz suicide an OOC issue since there is no logical in universe reason for a Wizard to kill themselves immediately at round start and that it is being done for OOC reasons of skipping the round
I consider player suicide an OOC issue since there is no logical in universe reason for a Crewmember on a high tech space station to kill themselves immediately at round start and that it is being done for OOC reasons of skipping the round
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #449479

I actually agree that any roundstart suicide is a shit thing.

Also, antag rolling assistants spacing themselves does not end the round
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #449487

Grazyn wrote:
leibniz wrote:
Instantly ending the round doesn't affect that though, the chances don't change. There was a 12.8% chance to have a wizard round. The wizard suicided. New round, again 12.8% chance to have a wizard round.
I am not sure if you are serious most of the time, anyway..
If we say that wizard rounds ending with an instant suicide are not real wizard rounds, then if x% (x<1 or x<100%) of wizard rounds suffer from this, it would mean the actual chance to have a wizard round is x*12.8%, which is less than 12.8%
Beyond chances, the minutes/gamemode projected for a day would also fall behind, this is a lot more tangible.

In a simple example, let's say that "Badass Metagang" containing several members of the server decided they only like traitor, and instead of turning off non-traitor antags for themselves, when they roll other antags, they instantly suicide trying to end the mode sooner, this would mean that the effective chance for traitor is higher and the effective chance for other modes is lower and people actually wanting to play those antags would miss out.
Karp
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Post by Karp » #449488

I agree it's bad and I dislike it but i think it's insane to target one and not all of it with roundstart suicide, and I am aware that my wishes may be hugely upsetting to a majority of the server, but it is really just fotm meme like c4+bolas and effectively innocent. You aren't really losing out on much unless those 3 minutes really seem so brutal. You could always ask admins to force the next round to be a wizard round if you really want to play a wizard round.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #449490

leibniz wrote:
Grazyn wrote:
leibniz wrote:
I am not sure if you are serious most of the time, anyway..
If we say that wizard rounds ending with an instant suicide are not real wizard rounds, then if x% (x<1 or x<100%) of wizard rounds suffer from this, it would mean the actual chance to have a wizard round is x*12.8%, which is less than 12.8%
Beyond chances, the minutes/gamemode projected for a day would also fall behind, this is a lot more tangible.

In a simple example, let's say that "Badass Metagang" containing several members of the server decided they only like traitor, and instead of turning off non-traitor antags for themselves, when they roll other antags, they instantly suicide trying to end the mode sooner, this would mean that the effective chance for traitor is higher and the effective chance for other modes is lower and people actually wanting to play those antags would miss out.
What I mean is that if you actually try to calculate those chances, the number is so low it disappears into the rounding error of the wizard round chance of 12.8%. You'd have to take 0.12, multiply it for the chance of selecting a specific player out of ~50 (assuming not everyone has wizard pref on), then multiply for the odds of that player being a suicide wizard (one out of 10 players? out of 20? probably even less, but you can check statbus to get the actual number). It ends up being something <0,02% chance of rolling a suicide wizard round. Again, you can just ask atlantaned for the stats to see how many wizard rounds end immediately out of all the wizard rounds in a day to see if this is a real problem that needs to be addressed.
leibniz

Post by leibniz » #449491

Grazyn wrote: ...
Fair

@atlantaned
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #449517

The main reason I am giving round start Wizard suicide the attention is due to it being the only antagonist that ends the round instantly on their death and its a major occurance. A suiciding Traitor won't end the round and there will still be plenty of other antagonists, a Nuke Op can't commit roundstart suicide since its against the rules, etc, etc.

The mere concept of someone rolling for an antagonist slot, a highly coveted role to many people, and then just killing themselves as soon as they can type in the suicide command, strikes me as utterly incomprehensible. Suicide as an assistant is one thing, but to take an antag slot and waste it in such a pathetic manner is another.

If you really, really, hate the mass murder Wizard then dress yourself up as the "Wizard Lizard" and run around blinking and magic missiling around the station causing harmless chaos, or try some other gimmick until you die. Or just do the next logical thing and don't waste a antag slot and waste everyone's time, and further drive down the chances of some people legitimately hoping for an antag pick just because some people have become jaded with one gamemode and feel they are the sole judges in deciding we should all skip the round.

An antagonist is as much a force of driving the round AND serving the round for the interest of everyone else. To toss it away creates no in game conflict nor interesting stories and is boring for all, for good or bad. Even the mass murder stories have their worth, even if some of you are too jaded to see.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #449528

Karp wrote:
Steelpoint wrote: I consider wiz suicide an OOC issue since there is no logical in universe reason for a Wizard to kill themselves immediately at round start and that it is being done for OOC reasons of skipping the round
I consider player suicide an OOC issue since there is no logical in universe reason for a Crewmember on a high tech space station to kill themselves immediately at round start and that it is being done for OOC reasons of skipping the round
Suicide in general is an OOC action. Wasn’t that what was decided with the PR that makes it impossible to bring suicided people back into the round as cyborgs? Just ban everyone who suicides. Give them a jobban for whatever role they were because if they suicide they obviously don’t want to be that role ever.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #449547

Steelpoint wrote: The mere concept of someone rolling for an antagonist slot, a highly coveted role to many people, and then just killing themselves as soon as they can type in the suicide command, strikes me as utterly incomprehensible. Suicide as an assistant is one thing, but to take an antag slot and waste it in such a pathetic manner is another.
Again, is it a "pathetic waste" if people think it's funny and get enjoyment out of it? Specifically, if someone can use their antag round to do whatever they want, and they decide that it would bring them maximum enjoyment to do "le epic suicide meme", is it a waste? Some people on the station will find it funny, the antag player obviously does - who exactly is hurt here except people who are saying "well, that's not what I would have done if I rolled wizard"?

The effect is the same as a murderbone wizard: obviously not everyone finds it fun for the wizard to spend his time taking everyone he can out of the round with no real RP except for a smattering of flavortext, but the antag makes the choice to do it. The people who wanted to be wizard will be just as asshurt if not more, since they're likely going to have to be dead and have to wait much longer than a suicide wizard.

Again, I think part of the meme is rubbing it in antag roller's faces. It sounds to me, from your posts, that you really want to spawn as a wizard and it pisses you off that people are taking their wizard rounds and "Wasting" it on a fotm fad that's kinda funny.

I'm sorry you don't get the joke and I'm sorry you're salty that people are having fun playing the game in a new and uncomfortable way you don't like. I just think you trying to get admins to bwoink people for doing suicide wizard is way overboard.
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #449555

I fail to see the fun factor in a Wizard player committing suicide. The first time it happened, I chuckled. The second time, third time, fourth time, I did not chuckle.

I believe it is a waste of a antag roll in to commit suicide because I do not believe that simply killing yourself, without any in game justification, as soon as the round starts is at all what is intended design around any antagonist.

My personal desires of playing as an antagonist are irrelevant in this, I've had many opportunities to play Wizard, although ironically all of them are via people not wanting to play as a Wizard and a ghosted player being offered the role or via admin/RNG late spawns. Furthermore if I really want to play as a Wizard at any point, I can just ask to spawn as one via antag token.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #449592

it's dumb
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #449596

Rolling for wizard then suiciding as soon as you get it is both overplayed, lame, and unfair to the people rolling for wizard because they want to play wizard
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #449636

NoxVS wrote:
Cobby wrote:Antags can't do whatever they want and this usually is restricted to OOC offenses like 4th wall breaking, metacomming, being creepy enough to weird people out OOCly, etc.

Suiciding with the intent to screw people OOCly, to me at least, is equivalent to those offenses even though the explicit action is IC.
So would I be incorrect in saying you believe antags who essentially end the round for people and force them to wait for the next one should be bannable? Since that's what the problem is here, suicide wizards force the round to end and is generally unfun. Right?
Antags who force conflict, including killing players and sabotaging crucial equipment, are part of the acceptable tools in their toolbelt. They are being antagonistic by definition (ICly) and I would never encourage people to start banning for that because it drives the progression of the round, even if they're driving it down the toilet.

Compared to the topic at hand, it's a complete 180. There is no conflict, no counter, nothing. You just spawn in, suicide, and wow now everyone has to wait another 180+ seconds because tweedle dumb thought it was funny. You aren't playing the role of the antagonist or the "wrench in the machine", you're just basically doubling the lobby time.

In short, yes you would be incorrect.
Last edited by Cobby on Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #449638

Karp wrote:
Players suiciding don't immediately end the round for literally everyone else.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #449643

Steelpoint wrote:I believe it is a waste of a antag roll in to commit suicide because I do not believe that simply killing yourself, without any in game justification, as soon as the round starts is at all what is intended design around any antagonist.
Why do you care? It's not your antag roll.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #449647

BeeSting12 wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:I believe it is a waste of a antag roll in to commit suicide because I do not believe that simply killing yourself, without any in game justification, as soon as the round starts is at all what is intended design around any antagonist.
Why do you care? It's not your antag roll.
the -steel-point(lol) is that it could have been
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #449681

I've changed my mind on this, it's not funny or cool to make people wait through the 4 minute round restart just because you think it's ironic to suicide as wiz.

If the admins won't take action directly on players who are doing this we will offer them some more mulligan config options to reduce the impact of roundstart den suicides.
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #449692

let antags do what they want, including speedruns
oranges wrote:I've changed my mind on this, it's not funny or cool to make people wait through the 4 minute round restart just because you think it's ironic to suicide as wiz.

If the admins won't take action directly on players who are doing this we will offer them some more mulligan config options to reduce the impact of roundstart den suicides.
would u rather wait 4 minutes restart or 30 minutes until wizard arrives on the station himself
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #449709

The “you get to re roll for antag” argument is shit; for obvious reasons. Its kind of funny to have suicide wizards, but once someone does it they should be job banned. In any case it’ll make me respect you more.

Regardless, suicide wiz is a thing of the past. Suicidal rev heads are all the rage.
[this space reserved]
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #449714

bman wrote:let antags do what they want, including speedruns
oranges wrote:I've changed my mind on this, it's not funny or cool to make people wait through the 4 minute round restart just because you think it's ironic to suicide as wiz.

would u rather wait 4 minutes restart or 30 minutes until wizard arrives on the station himself
I'd rather let people who enjoy playing wizard have a fucking chance instead of some cunt who thinks it's ironically funny to just extend roundstart by 4 minutes
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #449723

oranges wrote:
bman wrote:let antags do what they want, including speedruns

I'd rather let people who enjoy playing wizard have a fucking chance instead of some cunt who thinks it's ironically funny to just extend roundstart by 4 minutes
just spoderan on basil in protest of this post
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #449724

Yeah and it unironically made me very sad because I had something I really wanted to do whenever I got wizard
On the other hand, I saw a summon events wizard next round. I hated it immediately but went with it. I managed to dual wield pulse rifles, have a polymorph staff, and have a battlemage robe with shield charges remaining. then summon events mindswapped me into a random guy dying of oxygen loss. Every action in summon wizard is fucking meaningless.
Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #449784

People should only catch bans for this if their times exceed 7 seconds.
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #449813

SaveVatznick wrote:
Steelpoint wrote: The mere concept of someone rolling for an antagonist slot, a highly coveted role to many people, and then just killing themselves as soon as they can type in the suicide command, strikes me as utterly incomprehensible. Suicide as an assistant is one thing, but to take an antag slot and waste it in such a pathetic manner is another.
Again, is it a "pathetic waste" if people think it's funny and get enjoyment out of it? Specifically, if someone can use their antag round to do whatever they want, and they decide that it would bring them maximum enjoyment to do "le epic suicide meme", is it a waste? Some people on the station will find it funny, the antag player obviously does - who exactly is hurt here except people who are saying "well, that's not what I would have done if I rolled wizard"?

The effect is the same as a murderbone wizard: obviously not everyone finds it fun for the wizard to spend his time taking everyone he can out of the round with no real RP except for a smattering of flavortext, but the antag makes the choice to do it. The people who wanted to be wizard will be just as asshurt if not more, since they're likely going to have to be dead and have to wait much longer than a suicide wizard.

Again, I think part of the meme is rubbing it in antag roller's faces. It sounds to me, from your posts, that you really want to spawn as a wizard and it pisses you off that people are taking their wizard rounds and "Wasting" it on a fotm fad that's kinda funny.

I'm sorry you don't get the joke and I'm sorry you're salty that people are having fun playing the game in a new and uncomfortable way you don't like. I just think you trying to get admins to bwoink people for doing suicide wizard is way overboard.
literally this

it's their antag roll they can do what they want with it that's a slippery slope we should never ever EVER start sliding down
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #449822

We already have some rules in place that antagonists cannot break. My argument is that round start suicide as a antag is intended as an OOC act and thus should be something to be discouraged.
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #449829

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Rolling for wizard then suiciding as soon as you get it is both overplayed, lame, and unfair to the people rolling for wizard because they want to play wizard
what an argument, whether or not the wizard suicides the people crying wont get to play wizard, suiciding doesnt change anything
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #449832

There is an effect in that if the person suiciding decided to not roll for Wizard and waste the slot, then the other people rolling for Wiz may have gotten picked instead.
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #449834

bman wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Rolling for wizard then suiciding as soon as you get it is both overplayed, lame, and unfair to the people rolling for wizard because they want to play wizard
what an argument, whether or not the wizard suicides the people crying wont get to play wizard, suiciding doesnt change anything
if they were wizard banned thats exactly what would have happened though, someone else would've gotten wizard
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #449858

Ispiria wrote: literally this

it's their antag roll they can do what they want with it that's a slippery slope we should never ever EVER start sliding down
Would you be okay with an antag using 100% IC interactions to crash the server in a way that just immediately starts the round over again? If not, why?

Could you then explain how enforcing that would not be a slippery slope but suiciding is?
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #449867

Nilons wrote:
bman wrote:
if they were wizard banned thats exactly what would have happened though, someone else would've gotten wizard
yeah i guess that's true, even though it still means banning someone for using an antag roll in a way you dont approve of
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #449869

bman wrote:
Nilons wrote:
bman wrote:
yeah i guess that's true, even though it still means banning someone for using an antag roll in a way you dont approve of
no no no, the problem is theyre not using the antag roll theyre just restarting the round
Signature Memes

somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #449888

Cobby wrote:
Ispiria wrote: literally this

Would you be okay with an antag using 100% IC interactions to crash the server in a way that just immediately starts the round over again? If not, why?

Could you then explain how enforcing that would not be a slippery slope but suiciding is?
Bugs are OOC
If they found a way to crash the server without abusing a bug, fine, whatever feature they used was made for a reason
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #449900

How are bugs ooc but suiciding with intent to end the round not when both are otherwise at your disposal in the IC realm at that current time?
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #449901

Cobby wrote:How are bugs ooc but suiciding with intent to end the round not when both are otherwise at your disposal in the IC realm at that current time?
See: if no bugs are involved it's fine
Using a bug requires OOC knowledge, offing oneself does not
It's also entirely possible for the wizard federation to have someone who's secretly suicidal in it
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #449904

somerandomguy wrote:
Cobby wrote:How are bugs ooc but suiciding with intent to end the round not when both are otherwise at your disposal in the IC realm at that current time?
See: if no bugs are involved it's fine
Using a bug requires OOC knowledge, offing oneself does not
It's also entirely possible for the wizard federation to have someone who's secretly suicidal in it
You could argue the round would never happen if they just suicide in wiz ship and their name was 'suicide' though. That's not a good roleplay defense.

Now if their name is SUICIDE BY COP and teleports to the armory before getting killed then I may see a point don't steal this shitty gimmick i did months ago, you fuckers. Another example would be if you decided to make people uncomfortable, by talking about suicide plus specifics and etc, while not actually suiciding until later. No one would RP this in /tg/station, though.
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #449905

If this is going to be dealt with administratively, it should be done by changing Rule 4. The simplest way to do it would be to add it to one of the list of exceptions that solo antagonists are not allowed to do.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #449906

It seems the headmins have made a ruling looking at the relevant ban appeal thread
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #449907

Killing yourself roundstart as wizard is quite the annoying trend that has popped up recently. It forces everyone to wait another 5 minutes to even begin to play the game, and is a waste of a rare antagonist roll.
This is not a rule 4 issue, where antagonists are exempt from "don't be a dick." Rule 4 is a protection for IC actions. Killing yourself roundstart as a wizard is explicitly OOC, because it has no other effect other than ending the round for everyone and restarting the server. For this reason, it's still something that may be covered under rule 1. If you do not want to play as a wizard, simply turn it off in your preferences, or ask admins to offer you up to ghosts. Any instances of wizards killing themselves roundstart will be met with a permanent jobban from the role. For more details regarding the ban that sparked this policy discussion, see this thread: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20090.
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #449924

I'll also further clarify that we headmins have no intentions of restricting antagonist freedoms. This policy change is simply meant to put an end to a trend of poor behavior that has become a trend during wizard rounds. It is not a paradigm shift to, for example, begin to restrict antagonist murderboning, or something similar. In terms of antagonist freedoms, this ruling is a special case.