About this policy of banning anyone for 3 hours who campaigns the felinid poll in character.

Isy232
Byond Username: Isy232

About this policy of banning anyone for 3 hours who campaigns the felinid poll in character.

Post by Isy232 » #450250

Okay, I will start this off by saying that yes, I understand that breaking character is a problem and shouldn't be unpunished, but I think this policy is way too harsh.

I think this because I was playing a round where I was captain and had to take a crap in real life, so I just left and came back in about 10-15 minutes. I saw that another person had come into my room and made a comment about the felinid poll through the captains announcement system. I decided to make a comment about the felinid poll against it. I was then told by an admin that when the round ended I would be banned for 3 hours, which I was. This was my first time breaking this rule and I had no warning that making such a comment about the poll would be such an issue.

This seems to me to be too harsh of a punishment. Also, why the fuck is this policy not posted ingame? I understand this punishment if players were warned that talking about the felinid poll through the announcements system in some message in the loading screen or when they spawned in, but not when you are not told of the serious consequences of this rule until you have broken it. Also, /tg/station is classified a "Light Roleplaying" according to (https://spacestation13.com/about/), which gave me completely wrong information if this is the level of role-play expected. I think this needs to either be a message given to all players when they join into the server for the duration of the poll, or the admins should announce it in OOC often if they are going to enforce this rule.

To add, if you think "Pffft, 3 hours is not long at all", well, it is me as I had just finished completing my homework and signed on. This was on the second round I played today and a 3 hour ban is a ban for 3/5 of the hours I have to play tonight.

I am not trying to make an unban appeal out of this, I just want to give my situation as I likely am not the only one in it and so you know why a 3 hour ban is so damn annoying.
I did big goof and thank Dinkle for his mercy in only giving me a 1 day ban for this incident.
Image of all of the deaths thanks to Imsxz

Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Re: About this policy of banning anyone for 3 hours who campaigns the felinid poll in character.

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #450255

Wait we’re light role playing? Oh my fucking god this explains everything.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Isy232

Re: About this policy of banning anyone for 3 hours who campaigns the felinid poll in character.

Post by Isy232 » #450260

You may want to change that, I was literally recommended to this server to learn to roleplay and how to get into character.
I did big goof and thank Dinkle for his mercy in only giving me a 1 day ban for this incident.

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #450261

>break rule that was just added
>instead of appealing the ban saying you wont do it again you try to get the rule itself removed
>cite a non-/tg/ associated site as a source
it's a bold strategy
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #450262

https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules
3. Do not say in character (IC) things in the out of character (OOC) chat channel.
Do not say OOC things in IC either. There is an exception for OOC in IC where terms like 'clickdrag X to Y, or look for the tab' is used to help a player.
Literally the only rule about light roleplay is not to say OOC stuff IC (and even then you can get away with a lot of 4th wall breaking by being just a bit subtle about it)

This is usually not even a big deal but the felinid poll is a hot topic and people have been abusing IC means to talk about it so admins are cracking down extra hard
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Isy232

Post by Isy232 » #450269

PKPenguin321 wrote:>break rule that was just added
>instead of appealing the ban saying you wont do it again you try to get the rule itself removed
>cite a non-/tg/ associated site as a source
it's a bold strategy
Also, if I came off as trying to get the rule removed, I just wanted to get it changed so you would get a message about it.
Mickyan wrote:This is usually not even a big deal but the felinid poll is a hot topic and people have been abusing IC means to talk about it so admins are cracking down extra hard
My issue is not with the rule, just khow I did not now of this policy change and how harsh it was.
I would be fine with the ban for breaking it being lowered to 1 hour.

I also know that the source is non-/tg/, but the site is literally the first thing that comes up when you search "space station 13" on google chrome. If your server is not light roleplay, I think someone should message someone to get that fixed, I was recommended this server to get used to getting into character and roleplay.

I also know this is against the rules, but I think the context of the round which I broke the rule in also matters.

I did make an appeal, it can be found at (https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20133) and contains more information about the incident I was involved in.

Please excuse all of the edits, I am trying to figure out how to use the quote system.

Kierany9
Byond Username: Kierany9

Post by Kierany9 » #450291

Isy232 wrote:To add, if you think "Pffft, 3 hours is not long at all", well, it is me as I had just finished completing my homework and signed on. This was on the second round I played today and a 3 hour ban is a ban for 3/5 of the hours I have to play tonight.

I am not trying to make an unban appeal out of this, I just want to give my situation as I likely am not the only one in it and so you know why a 3 hour ban is so damn annoying.
i've never seen anybody who's out of highschool have to do homework

you wouldn't happen to be underage would you?
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #450297

Kierany9 wrote:you wouldn't happen to be underage would you?
Even if he's 2 years old, he does have a point that 3 hours can be a bit long which is what makes the punishment work. His issue seems to be that he was banned without warning, though.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #450298

Kierany9 wrote:
Isy232 wrote:To add, if you think "Pffft, 3 hours is not long at all", well, it is me as I had just finished completing my homework and signed on. This was on the second round I played today and a 3 hour ban is a ban for 3/5 of the hours I have to play tonight.

i've never seen anybody who's out of highschool have to do homework

youve never seen anyone in university do homework?
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Isy232

Post by Isy232 » #450299

Kierany9 wrote:i've never seen anybody who's out of highschool have to do homework

Well, I don't know what high school you attend, but just because you haven't seen anyone do any homework does not mean you speak for everyone.

Also, why are you making this personal, if you have a reason to attack my argument then do so.
For why this is an issue: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

Isy232

Post by Isy232 » #450305

Ayy Lemoh wrote:Even if he's 2 years old, he does have a point that 3 hours can be a bit long which is what makes the punishment work. His issue seems to be that he was banned without warning, though.
I am against either fact, if I was warned and then was banned for 3 hours I would have not cared or been banned for 1 hour I wouldn't be doing this.

My issue is the fact that my ban was both for 3 hours and without warning.

Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #450308

Isy232 wrote:I am against either fact, if I was warned and then was banned for 3 hours I would have not cared or been banned for 1 hour I wouldn't be doing this.

My issue is the fact that my ban was both for 3 hours and without warning.
I see.

This really should be a permanent announcement if it already isn't. Sounds like it's too easy to use as potential banbaiting if someone doesn't know about this.
Isy232

Post by Isy232 » #450322

Ayy Lemoh wrote:This really should be a permanent announcement if it already isn't. Sounds like it's too easy to use as potential banbaiting if someone doesn't know about this.
Much agreed.

Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #450389

This is now in the in-game MOTD.

Please don't talk about OOC things in IC. I realize people are passionate about the catpeople/felinid vote on both sides but still.

e: Also to be clear, 3 hours is the starting ban. If you repeatedly infract on this you'll be getting escalating bans, not 3 hours every time.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #450421

At least put minimum effort into disguising your references to the poll IC.

Example, say you're trying to raise social awareness for felinids, because they're critically endangered and facing extinction, or something like that
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #450423

Grazyn wrote:At least put minimum effort into disguising your references to the poll IC.

Example, say you're trying to raise social awareness for felinids, because they're critically endangered and facing extinction, or something like that
No, don't discuss the vote even in veiled terms in IC.

I really don't want community drama spilling over into IC for two weeks or whatever as people try to line toe so they can scream about their preferred side on inter-server messages/captain's announcements/AI VOX/other.

Feel free to argue/debate about the vote in OOC or the forums (within the rules, obviously), but leave it out of IC.

bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #450587

is it so much to just not bring your OOC poll feelings into IC

literally the bare minimum amount of effort, in that it requires doing nothing. you have to go out of your way to do this
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Isy232

Post by Isy232 » #450704

Well, this seems to solve it, good change. I just do wish it was sooner so issues wouldn't happen in the first place.

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #450958

this discussion went on longer than the poll did
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #452360

I don't know why I said that
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #452361

maybe it just felt that way
Arianya
In-Game Game Master

Post by Arianya » #452362

Gonna call this one resolved.