Can Someone Please Make A PR To Re Add Self Surgery

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Crossbow Demon
Byond Username: Crossbow Demon

Can Someone Please Make A PR To Re Add Self Surgery

Post by Crossbow Demon » #452484

Link to identical /r/SS13 post:
https://www.digg.com/r/SS13/comments/ ... _add_self/

Could someone create/submit a PR on to re add self surgery, but with nerfs like higher fail chance, extra brute damage, and mood debuffs.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Can Someone Please Make A PR To Re Add Self Surgery

Post by Farquaar » #452486

It's weird enough that people can do brain surgery without anesthetic, but now you want to perform brain surgery on yourself.
► Show Spoiler
Crossbow Demon

Post by Crossbow Demon » #452490

Farquaar wrote:It's weird enough that people can do brain surgery without anesthetic, but now you want to perform brain surgery on yourself.
Well I did say with nerfs and debuffs. Included within the nerfs and debuffs could be that not ALL surgeries are able to be self done. I just want at least robotic limb augmentations and some other surgeries to be possible without another person.

If I can cut off all four of my limbs with a spear without passing out I should be able to replace them myself.

And yes you can successfully cut off all four of your limbs now that we are able to hold items (Two Handed Spear) while crawling or without legs.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #452495

Mindlessly hacking at your foot with a spear is not the same as rewiring your tendons and neurons to give yourself a robot arm. Doctors barely have any use at the moment, and I don't believe taking surgery away from them is the right answer.
► Show Spoiler
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #452497

Farquaar wrote:Mindlessly hacking at your foot with a spear is not the same as rewiring your tendons and neurons to give yourself a robot arm. Doctors barely have any use at the moment, and I don't believe taking surgery away from them is the right answer.
Yeah please don't. At one point because of how useless doctors were, sleepers were made so that they needed to be constantly filled up with reagents from chemistry and didn't produce any on there own. Thus completely neutering them and making them fancy chemical fridges.
► Show Spoiler
Crossbow Demon

Post by Crossbow Demon » #452502

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Farquaar wrote:Mindlessly hacking at your foot with a spear is not the same as rewiring your tendons and neurons to give yourself a robot arm. Doctors barely have any use at the moment, and I don't believe taking surgery away from them is the right answer.
Yeah please don't. At one point because of how useless doctors were, sleepers were made so that they needed to be constantly filled up with reagents from chemistry and didn't produce any on there own. Thus completely neutering them and making them fancy chemical fridges.

I rarely ever see doctors doing surgeries. The need for surgeries is rare besides sometimes having to put limbs back on or even more rare having to remove an appendix.

Where however robotics does a lot more surgeries even if just mostly involving removing brains, augmenting limbs, or adding implants or upgrading organs.

And some of the surgeries that robotics offers, specifically augmenting limbs, should be able to be done by your self with at least high fail chances and bleeding.
Last edited by PKPenguin321 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cleaned up doublepost
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #452504

Moving to ideas board
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #452505

Crossbow Demon wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:
Farquaar wrote:-snap-

I rarely ever see doctors doing surgeries. The need for surgeries is rare besides sometimes having to put limbs back on or even more rare having to remove an appendix.

Where however robotics does a lot more surgeries even if just mostly involving removing brains, augmenting limbs, or adding implants or upgrading organs.

And some of the surgeries that robotics offers, specifically augmenting limbs, should be able to be done by your self with at least high fail chances and bleeding.
I mean honestly I'd choose a Mediborg over a doctor because how they can do literally everything a doctor can do and more sometimes.
But, even though I doubt something like this would get made because of how everything a doctor can do, someone without the job can do nearly just as easily. But, at the very least you gotta go to Med-bay/robotics without a doctor. If I could use a toolbox to preform surgeries and have a Medikit with me on Lava-land. I would never be seen in Med-bay. Even with a 5 percent chance of doing a surgery successful. As long as I have my Medikit in hand. Who cares! Also, literally I can think of no Roboticist main or security officer main, or maybe even an admin would be happy with a Greytider being able to full self augment themselves.

Lastly, wouldn't you still need to go to robotics for the parts? That sounds like it'd defeat the purpose or at least would be a weird way to give the Roboticist less work. If you come there for the augment parts, then you can just as easily get a full surgery from them.

Lastly Lastly. I predict people will be beating up Medibots/any bot for there robot arms and then self attaching it to them. If robotics wont give them robot limbs. It'll be silly!
► Show Spoiler
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #452506

Shadowflame909 wrote:Lastly Lastly. I predict people will be beating up Medibots/any bot for there robot arms and then self attaching it to them. If robotics wont give them robot limbs. It'll be silly!
Can confirm I did this back in the day, was fun

Also was fun to pop your own brain out

Also would self-plastic surgery during double agent
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Swindly
Byond Username: Swindly

Post by Swindly » #452511

If you want to add a secret way to get surgery without another player, you can make monkeys choose a zone_selected during combat while saying it's an AI improvement. Nobody will expect it.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #452512

Swindly wrote:If you want to add a secret way to get surgery without another player, you can make monkeys choose a zone_selected during combat while saying it's an AI improvement. Nobody will expect it.
At first I was gonna comment OH OH HO THATS SO EVIL YOU CAN MAKE A MONKEY PICK UP A SCAPEL AND THEN HAVE IT ZONE SELECT YOU OOH

but then I was like You need surgical drapes to do surgery.
and then I was like
>A gui appears so the monkey can't even use it. It might cause some sort of bug to appear as well

It wouldn't work no matter how you play it.
► Show Spoiler
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #452515

I'd be fine with letting people remove their own appendix since that has historical relevancy and was amusing, I'd say you'd need to be drunk to do it however.

Jokes aside I disagree with self surgery being a concept, some of the later game implants and neuron operations you can do are very powerful with the only gate being that you need to get another player to perform the surgery on you.

Perhaps a better idea would be exploring a later game concept of a 'self surgery pod' that can perform most form of surgeries on someone automatically but at a slower rate than a Human. I'm actually surprised we don't have that as a concept considering the other wacky things we have like organ harvesters and auto nanite chambers.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #452516

Steelpoint wrote:I'd be fine with letting people remove their own appendix since that has historical relevancy and was amusing, I'd say you'd need to be drunk to do it however.

Jokes aside I disagree with self surgery being a concept, some of the later game implants and neuron operations you can do are very powerful with the only gate being that you need to get another player to perform the surgery on you.

Perhaps a better idea would be exploring a later game concept of a 'self surgery pod' that can perform most form of surgeries on someone automatically but at a slower rate than a Human. I'm actually surprised we don't have that as a concept considering the other wacky things we have like organ harvesters and auto nanite chambers.
I'd like it, but as a downside I'd make it so that once a surgery is in process. There's nothing you can do to be let out. Like it cuffs you, so you don't move during the surgery until it's over.

The main thing I want it to do honestly is that an emp/ and or an emag causes it to switch mid surgery to a de-braining surgery. That'd be a hilarious downside to anyone trying to self augment with this sleeper pod like machine.
► Show Spoiler
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #452518

I'd keep that 'debraining' operation to a EMP. I dislike just giving the Emag a thousand functions and making it even more needed.
Floiven
Byond Username: Brak7000

Post by Floiven » #452520

Perhaps re-work limb regrower into a cryo-like tube that you chill in, maybe require excess limbs added to it as an internal storage, give organ harvesters more use. You can still send the body to the chef afterwards after trimming the limbs.

For self surgery, maybe make machine boards that you can make those auto surgeon things with, and you require a doctor to program them with the required steps and materials required, could be something for medbay to make during downtime or they can set up an auto surgeon market at the commissary.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #452536

Floiven wrote:Perhaps re-work limb regrower into a cryo-like tube that you chill in, maybe require excess limbs added to it as an internal storage, give organ harvesters more use. You can still send the body to the chef afterwards after trimming the limbs.

For self surgery, maybe make machine boards that you can make those auto surgeon things with, and you require a doctor to program them with the required steps and materials required, could be something for medbay to make during downtime or they can set up an auto surgeon market at the commissary.
Reading this just made me feel COMPELLED to post this again (Lazy people can just click the spoiler to read it here):
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 27#p257227

Spoiler:
The AutoDoc 1000! A safe* surgery machine that can perform a surgical procedure on a patient! Found in Medbay at roundstart, although it can be built like most other machines. It has a CRT monitor, keyboard, and several robotic arms that do surgery work!

The AutoDoc works by having a certified* :honkman: medical doctor :honkman: select a body part and a corresponding surgery. The AutoDoc can be preset such that it will have the surgery setting loaded, where it will wait until a patient is buckled to its linked surgery table. In the interest of "safety", the machine will automatically induce sleep in the patient for the duration of the operation. After all, proper surgery requires anesthesia! Once a patient is buckled to the table, the AutoDoc will strip him of all items and store them in a safe* and secure** (all-access) storage container for careful "inspection" by "authorized" observers.

The AutoDoc can do implantation, prosthetic replacement and augmentation surgeries as well, provided the required items are inserted into the AutoDoc's storage. While the AutoDoc can perform any surgery, it is very inefficient. With T1 parts, it is 1/3 the speed of a skilled surgeon. Also, the machine is clumsy due to its cheap scanning module. It has a small chance to screw up a surgery step, requiring a manual button press to start it up again. It also might cut you up a bit. T3 parts put the AutoDoc at full human speed and no chance of failure normally. T4 is double speed surgery.

The AutoDoc is a way to perform self-surgery, albeit at mild* personal risk. The machine will always put the patient to sleep for <surgery time + 5 Life() ticks>. As it strips the user automatically, someone can easily break in to run off with the patient's stuff, or kill the patient. Self-surgery, but risky and a chance of having to restart the machine (if not upgraded).

Keep the AutoDoc away from EMPs! They make the poor thing spaz out and violently amputate a random limb! (This includes the head! If it chooses the chest, it will cut out the heart and lungs!) The head is the least likely limb to be cut out. Keep it away from emags too! The Syndicate software makes cut off limbs one by one...starting with the arms, the legs, and finally the head!
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #452538

Gun Hog wrote:
Floiven wrote:-blap-
-it's literally above this post-
Sound's good. But what if I actually want it's main function to be-head people? Is there any way to counteract that. Making my self surgery put people to sleep and then preform de-braining surgery
► Show Spoiler
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #452620

If dextrous holoparas and emagged medborgs and brainwashed lads aint good enough , fucking code it yourself.
Making surgery something you’d never ask medbay to do will at best lead to ass-istants getting rebooter implants and fucking with sec, docs don’t do surgeries cuz you don’t facking ask. “Do self surgery” is all you’re suggesting and this is like if I made a random post on general discussions and on colonial marines discord saying “unban erp”
Put at least some thought into this, please.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #453833

hell 2 the NO
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #454417

oranges wrote:hell 2 the NO
I say add it but have it end up killing you 90% of the time. Nothing would be more hilarious than finding powergamers dead in a pool of their own blood surrounded by booze and surgical equipment.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #455264

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Swindly wrote:If you want to add a secret way to get surgery without another player, you can make monkeys choose a zone_selected during combat while saying it's an AI improvement. Nobody will expect it.
At first I was gonna comment OH OH HO THATS SO EVIL YOU CAN MAKE A MONKEY PICK UP A SCAPEL AND THEN HAVE IT ZONE SELECT YOU OOH

but then I was like You need surgical drapes to do surgery.
and then I was like
>A gui appears so the monkey can't even use it. It might cause some sort of bug to appear as well

It wouldn't work no matter how you play it.
You can self-select a surgery since the crawl feature
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current