Movement Speed

Ask and discuss policy about game conduct and rules.
Forum rules
Read these board rules before posting or you'll get reprimanded.
Threads without replies for 30 days will be automatically locked.
User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint
Location: The Armoury

Movement Speed

Post by Steelpoint » #454394

As noted by oranges in another thread, apparently ingame movement speed is tied to a configuration option, and thus falls under the administrations control.

My proposal here is to suggest tweaking movement speeds and slowing everyone down. I feel the current 'saniac' movement speeds we have are not conductive to a great gameplay experience as gameplay has a very loose feeling to it with no real depth or strategy to combat aside from who can sprint the fastest and outrun the lasers and bullets.

Thank you.
Image
User avatar
Mickyan
Github User
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:59 pm
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Mickyan » #454407

Very much yes, no more yakety sax around the hallways, everything in SS13 is very slow paced except the speed which doesn't fit at all

On a more personal note it makes the current stun based combat futile if you have a higher ping than your opponent, they can run circles around you and get in and out of range before you have a chance to react
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Floiven
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:20 pm
Byond Username: Brak7000

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Floiven » #454408

I think it could use some toning down. As someone that hasn't been here for a long time, historically it was slower correct?
User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint
Location: The Armoury

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Steelpoint » #454409

I don't think anyone really knows the history.

For a year or longer about one or two years ago we had slower movement speed. However large scale server changes AND the unification of server configs eventually resulted in the unintentional revert of the slow movement speeds.
Image
User avatar
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:43 pm
Byond Username: NoxVS

Re: Movement Speed

Post by NoxVS » #454411

I do feel it’s a bit too excessive right now, but the high speed also allows for things to be more fast paced. IMO it should be decreased slightly for combat reasons. I also feel something should be done with the movement+ items, with some resulting in ludicrous speeds (flagellent, stimpacks) to the point where I turn down VTEC anytime I am a borg so I can actually control
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
BeeSting12
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:11 am
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12
Location: 'Murica

Re: Movement Speed

Post by BeeSting12 » #454412

I hate change, downvoted.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint
Location: The Armoury

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Steelpoint » #454413

One big advantage if we turned down movement speeds is that we'd have far more control on abilities that increased movement speed. Right now we only have 'saniac' and 'hyperloop' speeds, if we had a slower base we could have more unique items that offered differing speed values.
Image
Dr_bee
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:31 pm
Byond Username: DrBee

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Dr_bee » #454415

slower movement speed PLEASE, people can practically outrun the AI camera, think about that.
User avatar
Anonmare
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 pm
Byond Username: Anonmare
Location: Blighty

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Anonmare » #454420

That's nothing, you can easily accidentally run into a projectile you just threw. I'm no science expert but I think that oughta be impossible.
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Davidchan
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:48 pm
Byond Username: Davidchan

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Davidchan » #454431

I've somehow tased myself chasing after a greyshit. I couldn't tell if it was lag, dumb luck or terrible balance.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
User avatar
WarbossLincoln
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 pm
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Re: Movement Speed

Post by WarbossLincoln » #454446

Good idea, lower it some.
--Crocodillo

Image
subject217
Github User
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 pm
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Re: Movement Speed

Post by subject217 » #454466

so the current run delay is 1 which means you move every other tick. the primary issue with this is that projectiles only move at a speed of "0" or in other words they move one turf every tick. while this works okay when two people are fighting eachother directly, the moment a chase starts it shifts the advantage HEAVILY to the person who is running away. Basically, if you're running away it's 2x as easy to dodge projectiles, and if you're running into a projectile (like, chasing someone who has a ranged weapon) it's 2x as hard.

to some extent, this is simply a drawback of the current movement system. HOWEVER, the ill effects of this can be lessened by increasing the discrepancy between move speed and projectile speed.

in my opinion, the movespeed can easily be dropped to like 2 delay and it won't feel bad at all. it's still significantly faster than baycode servers.
confused rock
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Movement Speed

Post by confused rock » #454473

Other problem is with movedelay at 1, people can only get one speed boost, a fucking massive one. It shouldn’t be possible for an assistant to sip a soda and literally move as fast as the game can handle, ctrl click a guy sec is dragging, and disappear.
Also would’ve made slips and shit more tolerable. Bear traps are still nasty.
Also not surprising david, it’s completely possible to hurt yourself if you throw a throwing weapon in the direction of your movement. Ironic that a bola is useless against an enemy you actually want to slow down.
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
WarbossLincoln
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 pm
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Re: Movement Speed

Post by WarbossLincoln » #454482

subject217 wrote:so the current run delay is 1 which means you move every other tick. the primary issue with this is that projectiles only move at a speed of "0" or in other words they move one turf every tick. while this works okay when two people are fighting eachother directly, the moment a chase starts it shifts the advantage HEAVILY to the person who is running away. Basically, if you're running away it's 2x as easy to dodge projectiles, and if you're running into a projectile (like, chasing someone who has a ranged weapon) it's 2x as hard.

to some extent, this is simply a drawback of the current movement system. HOWEVER, the ill effects of this can be lessened by increasing the discrepancy between move speed and projectile speed.

in my opinion, the movespeed can easily be dropped to like 2 delay and it won't feel bad at all. it's still significantly faster than baycode servers.
I had never really looked up how SS13 handles movement, thanks for the details. So basically on /tg/ right now people move twice as fast as projectiles which is dumb. Running away from a projectile doubles the amount of time it takes for the projectile to hit you, thereby giving you double the time to dodge. Increasing human move delay to 2 or even 3 is probably good. As long as 3 isn't baycode slow, that's way too slow for us.

The rock has a good point too, currently we only have 1 speed buff, as fast as possible.
--Crocodillo

Image
User avatar
Shadowflame909
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Reddit Username: Shadowmist909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Shadowflame909 » #454483

How does movement speed being lowered work? Does it account for literally everything that moves? For example, Simple Mobs that have a whole gimmick of being Slow but Strong (Slaughter Demon's, Juggernauts) Does it just affect player speed? If so, will things like accidental Secway and Megafauna buffs will be taken into count? I'm quite underinformed. But it'll be good to get all stops fully explained before we think this through. It sounds like a good idea at a base level. But how will this change things mechanically? Will bombs obliterate everyone? Will Singularities be inescapable?

TLDR: C'mon guys. I already suck at certain aspects of this game. I don't want to get decked trying to fight the hierophant or Bubblegum. Only to find out that it's become 50% more challenging because of how fast I need to move to barely escape it, and how fast they can still move with their skills.
Last edited by Shadowflame909 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
[youtube][/youtube]
Spoiler:
Image
ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.
Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.
BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909
Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?
somerandomguy
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:41 pm
Byond Username: Astatineguy12
Reddit Username: astatineguy12

Re: Movement Speed

Post by somerandomguy » #454490

confused rock wrote:Other problem is with movedelay at 1, people can only get one speed boost, a fucking massive one. It shouldn’t be possible for an assistant to sip a soda and literally move as fast as the game can handle, ctrl click a guy sec is dragging, and disappear.
Also would’ve made slips and shit more tolerable. Bear traps are still nasty.
Also not surprising david, it’s completely possible to hurt yourself if you throw a throwing weapon in the direction of your movement. Ironic that a bola is useless against an enemy you actually want to slow down.
*remembers fluking as a clown op by getting hit with a pie after firing it*
User avatar
Boris
In-Game Admin
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:21 pm
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes
Location: Soon to be Atlantis

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Boris » #454499

Lower it a TINY BIT so people can't tell that it's even slower, then keep doing that till it's as slow as it should be.
The nerd that plays Tam and Amanda Lin

Call me a bad admin here.
User avatar
Suicidalpickles
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:04 am
Byond Username: SuicidalPickles

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Suicidalpickles » #454500

>slow down a moment ingame
>try to talk to someone with current movespeed
>they zoom out of your screen in a second or so just as you say something

tldr lowering it again would be neat
subject217
Github User
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 pm
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Re: Movement Speed

Post by subject217 » #454502

confused rock wrote:Other problem is with movedelay at 1, people can only get one speed boost, a fucking massive one. It shouldn’t be possible for an assistant to sip a soda and literally move as fast as the game can handle
you can have speeds of -1

at least with old movespeed modifiers (ninjanomnom changed them) TRAIT_GOTTAGOFAST made you move at 0 delay and TRAIT_GOTTAGOREALLYFAST made you move at -1.

for reasons that I don't entirely understand projectiles can't move faster than they currently do in this movement system.
User avatar
Nilons
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:38 pm
Byond Username: NIlons
Location: Canada

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Nilons » #454503

Lowering it slightly would be good
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes
Image

Image
Image
User avatar
Nervere
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere
Reddit Username: Nervere

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Nervere » #454513

I've always had a huge problem with our movement speed. It's way too fast, it's hard to even hold a casual conversation without people zooming away from you.
I completely intend to lower it. The question at this point is how much it should be reduced.
User avatar
lmwevil
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:09 pm
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Re: Movement Speed

Post by lmwevil » #454575

if you do this please remove the slowdown on plasmeme suits or reduce it somewhat, it'll be literally unplayable :(


t. plasmeme that takes a full 1-3 minutes to cross the entire station vs human that takes 20-30 seconds
confused rock
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Movement Speed

Post by confused rock » #454588

I'd say decrease it to -2 at most and see if that's painfully slow or decent. maybe it'd be a good idea to decrease slowdowns on fire and hardsuits though yeah, then it'd even out.
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
obscolene
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:37 am
Byond Username: Obscolene
Location: In it 2 win it :-]
Contact:

Re: Movement Speed

Post by obscolene » #454593

if you're gonna lower movespeed then you'd better make the fuckig station smaller because walking all the way across the station is boring enough as is
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
Image
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
Image
ImageImageImage
Image
User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint
Location: The Armoury

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Steelpoint » #454601

The current movement speed makes responding to stuff happening trivial, you can call 'H-H-HELP ROBOTICS!!!' and half the crew will be swarming in within ten seconds. Thirty seconds to get from one end of the station to another makes stealth hard. Not to mention the other myriad of issues.

I think a good start would be lowering the movement speed to -2 and go from there.
Image
confused rock
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Movement Speed

Post by confused rock » #454607

lmao obscolene how much time are you spending doing literally nothing but walking around I cannot even conceive of being bored by that, look around, talk, listen to radio, sort your inventory, a lot of things are more boring than moving.
Image
Image
Image
Image
subject217
Github User
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 pm
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Re: Movement Speed

Post by subject217 » #454621

this is triggering me so i have to point it out

the way move delay works is HIGHER values are SLOWER

so you are suggesting a delay of 2, not a speed of -2.
User avatar
Malkraz
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:20 am
Byond Username: Malkraz

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Malkraz » #454622

The only problem I have with the current movement speed is running into my own thrown items. "Problems" like not being able to talk to people can be solved by just opening with "hey" to get their attention rather than an entire sentence. Slowing everyone down is just going to make people scream even harder when it's made twice as easy for robust greytiders to shit all over their lethargic pixels.
I completely deny this notion that there's no depth to gameplay because you can move fast, in fact I think it's the opposite. There's a lot a player can do when they understand latency and can take into account other player's reaction speeds and movement patterns. At higher speeds it becomes much more of a game of employing strategies to predict and outsmart your opponent, knowing where and when to position your character and click a disarm or spill some water. But of course to the unrobust this will just look like random spamming.
Slowing down speeds will limit these factors as you no longer have to observe and predict your opponent zipping around, you'll have time to simply react to them. Playing around the speed is a central part of the cat & mouse chases and the combat parts of this game that can easily turn the tides against either side (ducking around a corner or quickly doubling back on your pursuer, setting up a slip trap before they see it coming, predicting a double-back and preparing ahead of time, using smart positioning to lead the guy you're chasing into doors to slow them down as they open), and it should stay that way.
Also, moving fast is just plain fun.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint
Location: The Armoury

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Steelpoint » #454643

Having someone run up, nab someone you are arresting, and sprint off faster than you can type 'wait', is not conductive to good gameplay.

Most 'combat duels' really just come down to people spamming their attacks and hoping one of their hits lands true. Its impossible to accurately predict a targets movement in most cases due to the duel fact that there is no conservation of momentum, meaning people can be sprinting at max speed and turn 180 degrees and run the opposite direction instantly, and that the insane speeds make it damn impossible to predict movement and target appropriately since you can outrun and out dodge projectiles.

Water spilling is only viable (and far less so thanks to the slip nerfs) due to people running so fast that they cannot possible identify a wet tile and stop in time. Lord help you if you try and engage in melee combat. I've seen people being chased all over the station because it is extremely hard to land a hit when someone is running away. Add the hilarity that its just as likely you might smash yourself with that melee attack considering the frantic nature of movement.

Moving fast is fun, but it should not be the standard of movement. But it should be reserved for special items such as higher level Nanites, chemicals or special gear that allows for it. Making the high movement speeds a uncommon thing that has to be earned, instead of being common, would make them more enjoyable.
Image
User avatar
Malkraz
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:20 am
Byond Username: Malkraz

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Malkraz » #454673

Steelpoint wrote:Having someone run up, nab someone you are arresting, and sprint off faster than you can type 'wait', is not conductive to good gameplay.
As if an actual officer yelling "wait" will stop a real criminal. Use your taser instead of trying to talk to somebody who has no intention to converse.
Steelpoint wrote: Most 'combat duels' really just come down to people spamming their attacks and hoping one of their hits lands true. Its impossible to accurately predict a targets movement in most cases due to the duel fact that there is no conservation of momentum, meaning people can be sprinting at max speed and turn 180 degrees and run the opposite direction instantly, and that the insane speeds make it damn impossible to predict movement and target appropriately since you can outrun and out dodge projectiles.
Malkraz wrote: I completely deny this notion that there's no depth to gameplay because you can move fast, in fact I think it's the opposite. There's a lot a player can do when they understand latency and can take into account other player's reaction speeds and movement patterns. At higher speeds it becomes much more of a game of employing strategies to predict and outsmart your opponent, knowing where and when to position your character and click a disarm or spill some water. But of course to the unrobust this will just look like random spamming.
Steelpoint wrote:Water spilling is only viable (and far less so thanks to the slip nerfs) due to people running so fast that they cannot possible identify a wet tile and stop in time. Lord help you if you try and engage in melee combat. I've seen people being chased all over the station because it is extremely hard to land a hit when someone is running away. Add the hilarity that its just as likely you might smash yourself with that melee attack considering the frantic nature of movement.
Exactly why it's a viable and interesting tactic. You need to take into account latency and their ability to react in time. They also need to account for the possibility that you'll slip them and position accordingly. It makes it more of a mind game than a "oh good thing I could spot this puddle while strolling at a leisurely pace". As for melee combat, there's plenty of things you can do to catch up to people and I already outlined one. It's also very easy to cut corners or nudge them into walking into others and getting stuck.
Steelpoint wrote:Moving fast is fun, but it should not be the standard of movement. But it should be reserved for special items such as higher level Nanites, chemicals or special gear that allows for it. Making the high movement speeds a uncommon thing that has to be earned, instead of being common, would make them more enjoyable.
It's already like that. Apart from the non-intended code issues involved, the current default speed is just fine. Lowering it only equalizes and lowers the skill cap, making combative interactions between players more stale and reliant on disarm luck. The shift from the movement mechanics of a game like Team Fortress 2 to Overwatch is a great example of this effect.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
somerandomguy
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:41 pm
Byond Username: Astatineguy12
Reddit Username: astatineguy12

Re: Movement Speed

Post by somerandomguy » #454708

subject217 wrote:this is triggering me so i have to point it out

the way move delay works is HIGHER values are SLOWER

so you are suggesting a delay of 2, not a speed of -2.
Nah let's have a delay of -2
User avatar
WarbossLincoln
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 pm
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Re: Movement Speed

Post by WarbossLincoln » #454723

As if an actual officer yelling "wait" will stop a real criminal. Use your taser instead of trying to talk to somebody who has no intention to converse.
>Move mouse to taser on armor slot(because anyone sane put their taser up immediately before starting to cuff cause of disarm spam greyshits all over)
>Guy is already halfway across the station before you can click.
--Crocodillo

Image
User avatar
Nilons
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:38 pm
Byond Username: NIlons
Location: Canada

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Nilons » #454726

WarbossLincoln wrote:
As if an actual officer yelling "wait" will stop a real criminal. Use your taser instead of trying to talk to somebody who has no intention to converse.
>Move mouse to taser on armor slot(because anyone sane put their taser up immediately before starting to cuff cause of disarm spam greyshits all over)
>Guy is already halfway across the station before you can click.
This combined with the fact it's damn near impossible to hit someone with a taser shot if they're running from you and you have to do it twice if they're dragging someone you were arresting behind them
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes
Image

Image
Image
User avatar
delaron
In-Game Admin
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:44 pm
Byond Username: Delaron

Re: Movement Speed

Post by delaron » #454774

Yeah, slow it down. This is coming from someone that already has a ping advantage to many others. Slow down movement speed across the board. As a tweek perhaps revisit the slow down effects of clothing to reduce their severity.
-------
I'm not smart enough to meme.
User avatar
Shadowflame909
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Reddit Username: Shadowmist909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Shadowflame909 » #454789

After thinking about it, with the knowledge I have. (Or therefore lack of) I'm unsure if this would be a good idea without a great amount of testing. Why? Simply how many things could change. Take the whole "People need to be slow enough that sec can ask questions." Argument. Is it just me, or could this possibly be an extreme buff to ranged weapons? I mean take a possible scenario like this. Revy Mctider makes a makeshift stun baton and bonks the cap. He can instantly dart off with him, whilst sec is in shock. If this same scenario were to happen with a massive speed Nerf. Whilst taser speed stayed the same. It seems way more likely he'll get downed with no way to escape as he takes 4 seconds to move per one tile. Also, spacewalking without a space suit is sort of barely livable. Speed getting nerfed would turn escape from perma into a death sentence. Although, I guess that's a good thing for the realism crowd. I understand that headmins wouldn't want to break core aspects of the game. So speed won't get jacked up that bad. Nothing changing permanently ever really does. I mean I'm still underinformed as I've said previously. I may even be hysterically falling into the "Muh Change Bad" crowd. I just want to make sure that the ideals of "less speed equals more RP and conversation" works without any unintended nerfs, buffs, and other consequences. A whole lot of this game involves speed as gimmicks. I just really want more info. So I stop stressing. Thanks and have a good one.
[youtube][/youtube]
Spoiler:
Image
ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.
Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.
BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909
Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?
Karp
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:54 am
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Karp » #454793

Nilons wrote:
WarbossLincoln wrote:
As if an actual officer yelling "wait" will stop a real criminal. Use your taser instead of trying to talk to somebody who has no intention to converse.
>Move mouse to taser on armor slot(because anyone sane put their taser up immediately before starting to cuff cause of disarm spam greyshits all over)
>Guy is already halfway across the station before you can click.
This combined with the fact it's damn near impossible to hit someone with a taser shot if they're running from you and you have to do it twice if they're dragging someone you were arresting behind them
Disablers are broken for this reason alone, you can't outrun them down a straight hall, they have next to no fire delay, they have 20 shots, they're faster than an electrode, and they slow after 2 hits

tasering during a chase instead of disablering is just being dumb

Also I don't really care about movement speed but kor isn't here and he likes to say that the server had more roleplaying/interesting player interaction back when movement speed was faster than it is now
Image
Image
User avatar
Nilons
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:38 pm
Byond Username: NIlons
Location: Canada

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Nilons » #454797

Karp wrote:
Disablers are broken for this reason alone, you can't outrun them down a straight hall, they have next to no fire delay, they have 20 shots, they're faster than an electrode, and they slow after 2 hits

tasering during a chase instead of disablering is just being dumb

Also I don't really care about movement speed but kor isn't here and he likes to say that the server had more roleplaying/interesting player interaction back when movement speed was faster than it is now
Someone pulling the person youre arresting and spamming help intent on them while they soak up disabler fire will put a stop to that, as well as it still being relatively easy to dodge disablers
Last edited by Nilons on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes
Image

Image
Image
Dr_bee
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:31 pm
Byond Username: DrBee

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Dr_bee » #454806

I am going to say this again, add a slowdown to pulling people. It is a pain in the ass to have some asshole stun you once, grab you, and yakkety sax away beating on them. This makes it impossible to stop the person or catch them, or for the person being beaten to even shout an accurate location as by the time they shout a location they are already half way across the fucking station.

Whoever thought no slowdown on drag was a good idea was a god-damn retard.
User avatar
Malkraz
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:20 am
Byond Username: Malkraz

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Malkraz » #454810

These all sound like issues with other mechanics (or player's ability to utilize them) rather than the default movement speed.You should already be aware of who's around you and prepare for some jerk-off to walk up and snag your catch.
I agree with Dr_bee and have thought for quite a while that pulling speed should be nerfed (please don't catch cargo in this). Having no movement penalty on it doesn't make much sense both realistically and from a design perspective unless you're a hulk or something.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
User avatar
Rustledjimm
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Rustledjimm » #454816

I would support lowering movement speed. It would also buff meth etc. for being quicker. I feel the yackety sax is a bit dumb a lot of the time.

Pulling stuff should also slow you down even further.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Image
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
User avatar
lmwevil
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:09 pm
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Re: Movement Speed

Post by lmwevil » #454821

I feel the need to point out that speed won't magically increase or remove player interaction in general

i do also agree that higher speed changes tactics and lesser speeds won't really change much besides buff ebow and other stunning weapons while making murderbone easier

all in all it isn't just a config change due to the amount of wholegame tweaks that'd be required to keep it playable - as is plasmemes are slow as dirt and this would massively change balance choices on certain weapons
User avatar
Cobby
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Cobby » #454826

Keep the current movespeed but penalize keeping run on constantly :^)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
User avatar
Rustledjimm
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Rustledjimm » #454830

Cobby wrote:Keep the current movespeed but penalize keeping run on constantly :^)

Implement a sprint and stamina system.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Image
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
User avatar
Malkraz
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:20 am
Byond Username: Malkraz

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Malkraz » #454831

Depending on implementation I'd be fine with a sprint/stamina system, as it could add a new layer of stamina management both inside and out of encounters. I think it would have to be fairly generous to be an acceptable replacement, however.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
User avatar
Shadowflame909
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:18 pm
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Reddit Username: Shadowmist909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Shadowflame909 » #454832

Rustledjimm wrote:
Cobby wrote:Keep the current movespeed but penalize keeping run on constantly :^)

Implement a sprint and stamina system.
Citadel has this. Security Segways bypass it completely.
[youtube][/youtube]
Spoiler:
Image
ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.
Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.
BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909
Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?
User avatar
Mickyan
Github User
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:59 pm
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Mickyan » #454833

why make things more complicated than they need to be
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Malkraz
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:20 am
Byond Username: Malkraz

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Malkraz » #454835

While there's definitely a case to be made for mechanical simplicity, if the alternative is (in my mind) a direct downgrade then a more complex substitute is absolutely preferred.
I think it's kind of weird to be complaining about "complicated" systems in ss13 of all places, though.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
subject217
Github User
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:27 pm
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Re: Movement Speed

Post by subject217 » #454841

Karp wrote:Disablers are broken for this reason alone, you can't outrun them down a straight hall, they have next to no fire delay, they have 20 shots, they're faster than an electrode, and they slow after 2 hits

tasering during a chase instead of disablering is just being dumb

Also I don't really care about movement speed but kor isn't here and he likes to say that the server had more roleplaying/interesting player interaction back when movement speed was faster than it is now
calling disablers broken is laughable, they give you all the time in the world. if you have anything to fight back with (even a nerfed slip is good enough) you don't go down to disablers.

the problem with tasers is actually their firing range, if people are moving away they'll run out of the firing range before it hits them

also since magikarp is posting i'll point out that changing run speed via config should also require us to rebalance all megafaunas and some other simplemobs I believe
User avatar
Rustledjimm
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 pm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Rustledjimm » #454842

There was talk of changing combat into more of a stamina-based system anyway.

Having that link in with running and actions would be good too. Like an exhaustion mechanic in DnD (this is a roleplaying game guys).
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Image
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
User avatar
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:14 am
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #454843

I'm a fan of lowering movement speed. Right now I think its weird how quickly people can zoom around one end of the station to the other.
Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users