[POLL] Keep Asteroidstation on Badger?

General SS13 Chat

Should Badger keep Asteroid Station as it's main map past the trial period?

YES
26%
YES
26%
YES
26%
NO
7%
NO
7%
NO
7%

Total votes: 222

BangingDonk
Byond Username: BangingDonk

[POLL] Keep Asteroidstation on Badger?

Post by BangingDonk » #45486

It was suggested that I put a poll up on general on the topic, so here it is.

This weekend, Asteroidstation v5 was put up on Badger on a trial basis, either to just test out bugs on it, a fresh breath of air, or whatever. It was intended to run for the weekend and then reset back to Meta on Monday. However, it seems to be pretty dang popular. Right now, server population is up to 40 players, which is a heck of a lot more than I've ever seen on Badger on most days, when it can barely breach 25 even during more commonly considered peak hours. Furthermore, there haven't been any major server crashes since we've switched over to Asteroidstation v5, compared to the hours-long crashes we'd get with Meta running, which seemed to have Badger lagging far behind Sibyl in terms of getting restared. Also, it looks like we have the map designer actually looking at feedback right now and addressing issues and concerns with the maps, and has claimed to put in a couple of fixes for v6 from just this weekend alone.

I'm pretty biased on the matter and am a big fan of Asteroidstation, and would love to see how it develops. I just want to hear from other people, especially from folks who mainly play on Badger, as to what their opinions might be.
VenombatA22

Re: POLL: Keep Asteroidstation on Badger?

Post by VenombatA22 » #45487

Oh gods yes.

Asteroidstation is an amazing map for Badger, even if it is not perfect. There are some flaws and unfinished things there and there, but it is not far from being completed. And of course, it is big!
Atticat
Byond Username: Atticat

Post by Atticat » #45488

For some reason meta left a bad taste in my mouth. It just seems like the weenie map of the bunch, despite all the love that went into it. I can really get behind some aesteroid station, Box is getting fucking old

Bae says, "IM starting to think Zeela is just an meme character that the admins have come up with to only piss everybody off"
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #45489

Meta seems too similar to Box, and if we're not gonna have box, lets at least have something really unique.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
LA MAYONESA
Byond Username: LA MAYONESA

Post by LA MAYONESA » #45490

s-sorry
Last edited by LA MAYONESA on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #45493

From what I've seen, it's a really interesting map and worth trying for a longer basis. Especially if Basil's miner slots can be increased.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #45494

I like it, it could use some work mapping wise (who's actually updating this map?) but yeah it's got a neat layout
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Erbbu
Byond Username: Erbbu

Post by Erbbu » #45496

Hell, put the map on Sybil. I really like it, it just needs some tweaks, large part of said tweaks already being done yesterday.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #45505

As much as i hate to see metastation go, i had to vote yes. With metacide fucking vanished from our lives the map is falling apart. Aside from that asteroid station is pretty cool, and i really like the open concept bar and stuff.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
TZK13
Byond Username: Thurgatar

Post by TZK13 » #45507

As I've said before while Metastation is by far my favourite map with Metacide gone it feels necessary to change and I'd definitely rather it be ASStation than Box.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #45509

Yeah fuck box, cant stand it and i have no idea why it is so popular.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Donk Honk
Byond Username: LindsaysAwhore

Post by Donk Honk » #45510

I'm kinda torn. I love this new one. I really do.

Though at the same time I do feel its mostly because "NEW PLACE YAY" feeling. I say yay now only because I want some more time to grow first before saying full yes
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #45517

IF asstation is actually being maintained, then yeah, might as well keep it on for now. If we're swapping out one poorly updated station for another though, then nah, metastation is more polished as is.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #45520

I dunno, assstation doesn't have blatantly missing tables or fucked disposals
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #45521

I mean more polished in terms of design. Shit like missing tables is because it's not maintained.

Edit: Also asstation has hilarious shit like the intercomm square for the AI.
Last edited by lumipharon on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #45522

I voted yes, I also want Asteroid Station to be on Sybil.
Random Players
Byond Username: Random Players

Post by Random Players » #45569

I think at least temporarily putting Asteroid on Sybil (For a weekend like with Badger) could be good to make people more aware of it.
Yesterday, Badger held steady at 20-ish. Until it shot up to 40 suddenly, which I presume coincides with some people waking up. It was also the same time during which Sybil was already down the day BEFORE yesterday, 'forcing' them to play on Asteroidstation.

So temporarily putting Asteroidstation on Sybil after a week of polish from reports on Badger would be good, I think.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #45593

Here is a question, is there anything at all stopping perma prisoners from just mining around the station and escaping? Mining stuff is right there in perma, and it seems trivially easy to get out now
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #45596

Ugh Asteroid a shit, unless it's been updated since last I played. GB2 Meta pls.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #45600

I like Asteroid Station a lot. It's got a lot of potential.
:^)
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #45773

Any box replacement will need to have sat on the second server for a good wedge of time and been kept up to date, then assuming players are showing at least some signs of acceptance you could finally look at moving to the new map.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: [POLL] Keep Asteroidstation on Badger?

Post by peoplearestrange » #45789

Really enjoy Asteroidstation. There are a few map issues wish need addressing though. I'd like to think that some of the box/metastation mappers might have a quick look at solving some of these things (Steelpoint?).

Mainly the perma brig being god awful and the "Extra" shuttle at arrivals not starting with windows (so atmosphere always escapes when its used).
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #45827

Yes, perma needs to be somehow fixed, maybe by having the gulag on a different Z level? As is, it is trivially easy to escape
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #45885

Also brig is now completely fucked. Cell consoles are not all connected, prisoners can open the windoors with no access at all. This is seriously broken, and the map should be pulled until it is fixed
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #45888

I think this poll is a bit too skewed with novelty atm.
Best to do another vote in two weeks or so.

(i cri muh metastaions ;___;)
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
BangingDonk
Byond Username: BangingDonk

Post by BangingDonk » #45904

Some of it is novelty for me, yes. I'm happier over the fact that it doesn't constantly crash, though.
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #45928

Box is shit and meta is not getting updated. Asteroid wins!
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #45988

Does no one care that the brig does not serve its only purpose? Non perma cells literally do nothing at all.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
TZK13
Byond Username: Thurgatar

Post by TZK13 » #46009

Wyzack wrote:Does no one care that the brig does not serve its only purpose? Non perma cells literally do nothing at all.
That's being fixed in the update Jordie's prepared, it's to be expected that there will be some issues with a new map and that shouldn't stand in the way of its adoption.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #46026

That issue was there the last time asteroid station was on a server. Purely because asstation is actually getting updated and maintained though, I'm all for adopting it for now.
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #46031

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #46032

What can be done about the security issues though? You can mine right out of the new gulag with no trouble whatsoever, and can mine right to the armory and AI core without needed to go into exposed space. Not to mention wormhole event gives the station a mining mob bukkake
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #46036

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #46077

Security needs a redesign to an extent, I think simply removing the Gulag is the best thing to do, or move the gulag off asteroid.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #46087

Fix gulag: give it air, give outside gulag a vent, mining out past solid rock = oxyloss.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #46128

That is actually a good idea. Giving criminals spacesuits is kinda incredibly shit
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster