Limit Field of View

A place to record your ideas for the game.
deathhoof

Limit Field of View

Post by deathhoof » #45653

What if instead of having eyes in the back of their heads, spacemen could only see forward and slightly to their sides? Obviously, loud things would still be visible behind the spacemen because they can "hear" those things. Also everything within touchable range should be visible. Adding field of view would add a huge stealth element to the game, especially putting an emphasis on staying out of sight and not wearing loud hardsuits when walking up to someone to kill them from behind.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Re: Limit Field of View

Post by RG4 » #45675

Go away, this isn't a fucking simulation FPS.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #45677

You're right it's more like a top down simulation game
Wizardjenkins66
Byond Username: Wizardjenkins66

Post by Wizardjenkins66 » #45686

Violaceus wrote: Mining smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to man- and lizard-kind. Katanas are thrice as sharp as eswords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything an esword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a durand mech with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why Syndicate never bothered conquering Mining? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined miners and their katanas of destruction.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #45687

I like this in theory, but only because "sneaking up on somebody" only exists if you're fucking sanic or you're in total darkness.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #45689

If you want to see a great game that uses field of view, check out unreal world. Its a wilderness survival roguelike about the early iron age in finland
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #45700

Violaceus wrote:Great idea that will never happen
Why won't it ever happen? How hard could it be to code in a layer that goes over tiles that are not in an area that is perceivable by the player? This already exists for AI anyways.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #45702

here's a picture of a character I just started playing as in Unreal world. Take notice of the realistic field of view.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #45713

no
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #45717

Violaceus wrote:
deathhoof wrote:
Violaceus wrote:Great idea that will never happen
Why won't it ever happen? How hard could it be to code in a layer that goes over tiles that are not in an area that is perceivable by the player? This already exists for AI anyways.
I mean that 90% of people will be opposed to it...
What makes you think that?
Spacezenegger

Post by Spacezenegger » #45724

Errorage tried doing this, I think I remember it being a little slow and I remember getting a headache if you moved in multiple directions too quickly because the camera kept shifting.
deathhoof

Post by deathhoof » #45725

Spacezenegger wrote:Errorage tried doing this, I think I remember it being a little slow and I remember getting a headache if you moved in multiple directions too quickly because the camera kept shifting.
That does indeed seem to be a problem. Maybe this could be remedied by adding a set of controls to toggle neck movement? This way field of view will only move when you want it to move and thus will reduce headache creation.

EDIT: yes owl neck spessmen are better than 360 field of view spessmen
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #45730

deathhoof wrote: Maybe this could be remedied by adding a set of controls to toggle neck movement? This way field of view will only move when you want it to move and thus will reduce headache creation.
Yeah while we're at it, lets set it up so you have to switch between left and right leg each tile you walk, 3 second slip/stun if you mess up.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #45738

A lot of the game is also balanced around you being able to see behind you.

This would heavily devalue social stealth. Being able to get within one tile of someone for a rev flash without freaking them out can be an art, and limiting FoV would make many area threats way too deadly and rev way too easy.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #45761

Spacezenegger wrote:Errorage tried doing this, I think I remember it being a little slow and I remember getting a headache if you moved in multiple directions too quickly because the camera kept shifting.
Indeed, while Errorage's test was not with a refined system for handling the vision change; it was pretty clear from the trial that such a vision system would be nauseating and ugly to play with.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #45763

This would cause the game to become such a massive clusterfuck so fast I think a lot of people would quit playing here.
/vg/station Head Admin
Cheridan
Byond Username: Cheridan

Post by Cheridan » #45814

I liked Mark of the Ninja's system, where you could still see things out of your field of view, but they were blurry and harder to see.

Probably still wouldn't work out well within the context of SS13.
/tg/station spriter, admin, and headcoder. Feel free to contact me via PM with questions, concerns, or requests.
Jacquerel
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Becquerel

Post by Jacquerel » #45820

It's been suggested and even (as others have told you) trialled to a small degree before, and it was both unpleasant and unpopular.
Considerations like field of view are things that need to be implemented very early in a game's development, not slapped on years later. This would change the function and (ugh) balance of so many other things and destroy the instincts people have grown into over years. It's never going to happen.
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #45822

Murder Mansion tried this

Jesus fuck it was hard to play and you got a headache after one round. Still fun, but nauseating.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #45955

That's not even getting into the fact that anything other than simply changing the viewpoint would be very expensive in terms of processing.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #45966

No.
Let's increase the view to 9 tiles instead.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #46219

Oh yeah this is great finally I'll be able to use my TrackIR to play spessmens!
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Ahammer18
Byond Username: Ahammer18

Post by Ahammer18 » #47322

Saegrimr wrote:
deathhoof wrote: Maybe this could be remedied by adding a set of controls to toggle neck movement? This way field of view will only move when you want it to move and thus will reduce headache creation.
Yeah while we're at it, lets set it up so you have to switch between left and right leg each tile you walk, 3 second slip/stun if you mess up.
10/10 fund it
I'm a boy.
Global Moderator
Game Admin