Head role obligation to validhunt

Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Head role obligation to validhunt

Post by Nilons » #458057

I was told that this was off topic for the thread in which a player was revived because the captain didn't validhunt and to make yet another policy thread

Is it the heads of staff obligation/responsibility to hunt antags and should players be revived if they are killed by said antags due to the heads leaving them alone
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: Head role obligation to validhunt

Post by NikNakFlak » #458062

Let the admin complaint play out first tbh
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #458067

no, captains only job is to secure that green disk
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #458068

NikNakFlak wrote:Let the admin complaint play out first tbh
I was told to make a policy thread by a headmin because its not pertinent to the complaint
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #458326

Seems like a very bad slope to slip on if the captain has to kill bad guys.

IE someone is murderboning, captain is unaware for whatever reason, *bwoink* hey y r u not killing the bad guy???
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #458371

you don't bwoink antags for not chasing dat greentext so why would you bwoink nonantags for not chasing dat redtext
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #458403

Heads of staff, I think, have at least some responsibility to keep the station's crew safe. That's why they get all the cool toys. There should be at least some IC justification as to why a captain isn't attempting to stop a threat to Nanotrasen property and employees.

For example, a captain may decide that letting a traitorous, but seemingly cooperative syndicate agent out of perma is worth it if there's a blob threatening the station. Whether it's a good idea or not is a matter of judgement and opinion made on imperfect information, so enlisting the help of a traitor and leaving him to rot are both reasonable choices as one could perceive either threat to be greater than the other.

That said, if the captain makes the call that living with a crazed AI who isn't out to kill everyone on the station until the escape shuttle arrives is easier than starting a war against it and risking loss of life and company property, it's a perfectly justified IC decision to make in my view. The captain has a duty to pay attention to the matter and ensure things don't get out of hand, however.
► Show Spoiler
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #458444

It's a dumb idea, no one is under OOC obligation to valid hunt. You're required to make a minimum effort at your job if you take a head role. Captain's job is to manage the station and delegate. Even the HOS's job in theory isn't to valid hunt himself, but to manage his idiots and coordinate their valid hunting.
--Crocodillo

angelstarri
Byond Username: Angelstarri

Post by angelstarri » #458449

Captain can do whatever they want, it's their station. The second admins start forcing people to validhunt is the second every sliver of roleplay in this server will disappear completely and replaced with extreme powergaming (ironically this is the case already)

Code: Select all

I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #458476

I see more captains headbanned for extreme validhunting, it'll be a sad day when I see it the other way around
Nilons

Post by Nilons » #458485

Yakumo_Chen wrote:I see more captains headbanned for extreme validhunting, it'll be a sad day when I see it the other way around
then its a sad day because this happened recently by one of the previous terms headmins

I dont think it should be required either but the headmin I spoke with was unclear and thought a policy thread was necessary
Signature Memes

Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #458495

*sigh* this is so obviously about what I said I'm more than a little disappointed that you've tried to not even mention it.

For the record I do not think captains should validhunt antags. They should not go around murdering folk on the slightest whim if being valid.

But if an AI, or other antag, is clearly being a threat to the station that they are actively working against the station and crew the Captain has an obligation to stop it as per job role. They must keep the station running smoothly.

There's a difference between that and valid hunting.

I didn't even order the captain after the AI I just suggested he should do something about it. It's called common sense guys. I had hoped you would have had some of it between you.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #458505

angelstarri wrote:Captain can do whatever they want, it's their station. The second admins start forcing people to validhunt is the second every sliver of roleplay in this server will disappear completely and replaced with extreme powergaming (ironically this is the case already)
iRoNiCallY thIS is ThE CaSE ALReaDY
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #458747

Rustledjimm wrote:But if an AI, or other antag, is clearly being a threat to the station that they are actively working against the station and crew the Captain has an obligation to stop it as per job role. They must keep the station running smoothly.

I didn't even order the captain after the AI I just suggested he should do something about it. It's called common sense guys. I had hoped you would have had some of it between you.
What's the difference, besides reason of murder being different from each other, between:
A. Simon Says AI that will kill you if you fuck up but is otherwise a meme.
B. Scary monster in maint that will kill you if you attack it but is otherwise a meme.
C. Someone who became an ayylien and will kill anyone who tries to kill real abductors but is otherwise a meme.
D. Changeling that becomes a security officer who helps sec and kills anyone who is annoying but is otherwise a meme.
E. someone runs down the hallway with an esword and ebow while killing everyone he sees because he needs to prove his dick is big

Obviously a changeling who becomes sec would probably keep the station running smoothly
HOWEVER
at what point should the admemes come on and go:
"listen dumbass you should go kill that ayylien fuck before he gets a bfg 9000 and destroys the shuttle"
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #458915

oranges wrote:
angelstarri wrote:Captain can do whatever they want, it's their station. The second admins start forcing people to validhunt is the second every sliver of roleplay in this server will disappear completely and replaced with extreme powergaming (ironically this is the case already)
iRoNiCallY thIS is ThE CaSE ALReaDY
This but unironically.
► Show Spoiler
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #459079

Rustledjimm wrote:*sigh* this is so obviously about what I said I'm more than a little disappointed that you've tried to not even mention it.

For the record I do not think captains should validhunt antags. They should not go around murdering folk on the slightest whim if being valid.

But if an AI, or other antag, is clearly being a threat to the station that they are actively working against the station and crew the Captain has an obligation to stop it as per job role. They must keep the station running smoothly.

as someone who had nothing to do with whatever you guys are rubbing butts about i gotta say i dont see the difference between your two points, and your attitude doesn't really help much
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #459228

Also a "suggestion" from being bwoinked out of the blue by an admin is 100% an order as far as the average player is concerned. Basically threatening them tbh
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #459243

I suppose I didn't think about it entirely from the players perspective you have a point dorsi. I guess I was thinking with just my admin hat, if another admin sent me that message it wouldn't bother me really at all, I've lost the fear of the bwoink a long time ago and I should remember that isn't the case for most players.

I apologise if my conduct has been brash in this thread.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #459935

Captains and other heads of staff have no obligation to validhunt.

However, they also shouldnt be actively assisting antags for little to no reason, same as the rest of the crew.

You can play along with gimmicks, (getting mugged, forced to do something at gunpoint etc) but be cognizant about not self-antagging. What counts as self-antagging is largely contextual, so if you're not sure ahelping to see what the online admins think is probably your best bet.