Ferguson

Talk about non-ss13 stuff here.
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Ferguson

Post by Ricotez » #45823

Really fucking pissed off about this verdict.

Even more fucking pissed off about the reactions to it.

But what pisses me the most off is that the question was not whether Darren Wilson murdered Mike Brown, but whether Mike deserved it.

E: Goes without saying, but keep it civil in here. - V
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Re: Ferguson

Post by fleure » #45826

Sounds like exactly what happened in the UK a few years back: Police shoot black dude in an area with high racial tensions, they explode into riots, the vast majority of participants using it as an excuse to loot shit or break stuff. It just makes everybody look bad and brings our nation back a few steps. I can't really comment on the verdict of the UK guy's death by police, only evidence I could ever have known was the limited amount given out by the media. I feel the same way about Michael Brown's death really.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #45829

Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
QuartzCrystal
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Post by QuartzCrystal » #45831

So is this thread going to serve as the litmus test of who's a shitty person in our community?
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #45832

only if you take things like this more seriously than elections
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #45833

Comrade Leo
Byond Username: ComradeLeo

Post by Comrade Leo » #45835

If it becomes impossible to get your voice heard, then the only option is to burn shit till the world listens. I support the protesters.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #45837

Steelpoint wrote:Image
Typing this reply with a ten foot pole.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

fleure

Post by fleure » #45847

Comrade Leo wrote:If it becomes impossible to get your voice heard, then the only option is to burn shit till the world listens. I support the protesters.
I agree that violence and civl unrest is effective in making an unknown issue, known. I think the problem in this scenario is that people were already talking about Ferguson months back, and racism being known in America is not exactly new. Beyond anger at the kid's death and yesterday's ruling, I'm not really sure what the protesters want. They can voice disagreement over what happened, but the law is not going to turn over a jury's verdict based on riots. I also think smashing up local businesses becaue you disagree with a jury, or an ill in society, is a really ugly precedent for a constructive society. Would you be so willing to agree and side with them if it was your business? What if it was your home?

Also, as a side point, black communities are often on the receiving end of racism, for sure, based on an image of them being lawless and violent. I don't think a riot is really going to help get away from that prejudice. I get that white communities that have had riots aren't subject to the same marginalisation, but fitting the stereotype is definitely not going to solve the problem.

Personally, I think if we can learn anything from the Ferguson incident, and the recent shooting in Cleveland, is that police bodycams should be more prevalent or mandatory.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #45853

QuartzCrystal wrote:So is this thread going to serve as the litmus test of who's a shitty person in our community?
Depends on if by shitty you mean people that hate niggers for being niggers. :|
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #45857

>American cops
>Being able to shoot straight enough to kill

Now that's just unlikely, it was probably a mistake
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #45858

Sec officers can be pretty damn good shots. Some people spam like mad but it is much like aiming a skill shot in DOTA or LoL, you break up the way people move into lines pointing away from you and aim past your target rather than at them.

It is true though in general sec officers are more focused on stopping real dangerous people and protecting their community than the police in most parts of america. Which is fucked up because SS13 sec has a fucking gulag.
nsos
Byond Username: NOSENSEOFSELF

Post by nsos » #45876

this threads gonna be shit
nsos

Post by nsos » #45879

but it will be interesting to read this thread if only for the shocking revelations!!!1 of which people on this forum are children incapable of having an argument without devolving to shitslinging aka the same users we already know are basically retarded
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #45880

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #45886

>shooting the leg
I'll take "what is the femoral artery" for 5000, Alex

I'll also take why cant American cops aim for shit, for the bonus round
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #45892

What the heck has the artery got to do with it? It's all about the size of the target and a chest is much bigger than a leg, especially front on.
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #45893

oranges wrote:What the heck has the artery got to do with it? It's all about the size of the target and a chest is much bigger than a leg, especially front on.
I think what he meant is
Even if they shot the legs

That would still fuck up people they hit there pretty badly
nsos

Post by nsos » #45894

Malkevin wrote:>shooting the leg
I'll take "what is the femoral artery" for 5000, Alex

I'll also take why cant American cops aim for shit, for the bonus round
Intigracy wrote:
Also, cops are taught shoot to kill. Anyone who ever tries bringing up the argument "but why didn't you shoot him in the legs!!!" is dumb, they don't aim for the legs because it's a smaller target and in a high intensity situation you want to be able to get the person you're shooting at down.
most cops either do not know or give a shit about strategic locations for shit like this; most (at least in the NYPD) are trained to aim for centre of mass in silhouette training even though it's been proven as ineffective. shooting in the leg would be disastrous anyway; you can make the argument DW was stupid for not using a taser, and you can certainly point out he has some explaining to do for justifying his not carrying a taser because of "it wasn't comfortable", but... whatever.

in general i was really only going to make one or two posts about how i am obviously holier-than-thou and superior for not participating in this discussion like the rest of the heathens but i know that doing that would be dishonest and disingenuous to how i actually feel.

i’m literally the last human on Earth to advocate for trial by media or trial by mob. i would go so far as to say that the mainstream media is partially to blame for goading the crowds and protests into the sort of powder-keg that results in riots and looting. it's good primetime news for shit like this to happen, and it's an easy way to get an award for "journalistic reporting" when the media starts showing their investigative 20/20 primetime news segments about how it's time to have "a serious discussion about race in america" when it's the same media that pushed a ridiculous simplistic race war narrative to undermine the legitimate concerns that the black (and minority at large) community has with the modern police industry. and i suppose it is partially the far of the rioters for buying into it so easily, but resistance is valid. but do we criticize the methods of doing so? absolutely.

property destruction does not win the hearts and minds of the public, and even if you're some kind of past-teenage-years anarchist with a boner for smashing storefront windows and sticking it to the man, you'd be hard-pressed to suggest that last night's events contributed to any sort of "propaganda of the deed". all it did was probably alienate white/conservative america even further than they already have. and also there were probably just some idiots in the crowd that were going to regardless regardless of the decision, because there are always people, black or white, that will riot over dumb shit. pumpkins, sports wins/losses, surf contests, what the fuck ever. at least go after the police department or banks or some of that shit.

this: the shooting, the decision, the riots- changes nothing. time's a flat circle. this will happen again.

nothing changes, and it is not a surprise that nothing changes. i'll be the first one to tell you last night's events will not start any sort of existential shift in the racial consciousness, or whatever big academic words the SJW academic types will want to say. I'm black. My father came here from the INTERNAL DISCUSSIONS Coast. He knew this. I know this. My mother's father was mixed, born in the 1920s in fucking New England, it is a miracle he or his father didn't get lynched. He absolutely fucking knows this, he was there at the start. This is how the song and dance number has gone for years. Black men are born in it and die in it not knowing anything else. I don't know anything else. people will get pissed, they'll act out and flip their shit, and everyone else will just go, "well why don't you do something about black on black violence instead of blah blah" like there haven't been national and regional and city-by-city initiatives to do just that or like that change will happen overnight. so until then i do what i can.

what i can: be myself to the best of my ability. when the time comes (and even though right now even the idea of one day having kids is fucking terrifying) i will raise my kids to be smart, know your laws, be respectful to everyone, especially respectful law enforcement even when you know they're full of shit, pull up your pants, etc. even though i know unfortunately all it really takes is him getting pulled over by the wrong cop on the wrong day at the same rate he'll end up getting potentially shot at by the wrong black guy at the wrong corner. i will tolerate this even though my children will be next, and i know that maybe he's not even going to have stolen cigarillos or try to reach for a cop's gun, maybe he was just at the wrong place at the wrong time like oscar grant, and maybe that's just it, but it won't matter, since he's in the ground and he'll probably have his character posthumously assassinated as justification for the shooting. maybe i'm overly pessimistic about this decision or the reaction, but that's how i feel. It’s the most blind and borderline-retarded thing on the planet to presume you can’t find yourself in one of those places. And it’s roughly the most ignorant thing on the planet to walk through life presuming those institutions get it right every time. But I'll accept the decision because what else can I do?

i will tolerate it. because i have to be the voice of reason, the moderate non-extremist, the 'respectable' black man even though i'm just trying to be myself and the way i was raged. because even though i don't ask for it, you inadvertently put yourself in the "voice of all black people" situation. there's no president or voice of all black people no matter how much al sharpton's sellout tax-evading race baiting no-help fuck ass tries to prove otherwise. so i am pretty careful with what i'm saying - notice how i haven't even gone into my opinion on whether or not the ruling was justified or not? clearly from the reaction to the decision there's a great deal of people that believe that the jury tried to “base an indictment solely on the facts”. Many people believe that did not happen. It's not that simple. Nothing in this situation is. At the very least anyone coming to a snap "darren wilson was justified/not justified" decision is not helping.

now that i've said it i guess malkevin can call me a nigger or paprika can go say i'm taking things too seriously or everyone else can post ape escape gifs or whatever, it's whatever, my 'serious post' mode is done, i have a shitpost quota to fill:

You ever have to wait in line to take a shit so fucking long you don’t even have to shit anymore

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #45912

[youtube]iau-e6HfOg0[/youtube]
Apparently embedding is broke:
ColonicAcid
Byond Username: ColonicAcid

Post by ColonicAcid » #45918

oranges wrote:What the heck has the artery got to do with it? It's all about the size of the target and a chest is much bigger than a leg, especially front on.
Shot Artery = massive blood loss with a side serving of low blood pressure.
"less than lethal" locations are still, surprise surprise, lethal if it hits an artery.
crack is whack but smacks got your back
LA MAYONESA
Byond Username: LA MAYONESA

Post by LA MAYONESA » #45941

do you really think that darren wilson could have stopped michael brown without a gun? brown is up his weight class
QuartzCrystal wrote:So is this thread going to serve as the litmus test of who's a shitty person in our community?
lovin' this post by one of our admins
don't you mute and ban because of people's opinions?
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #45956

Brown was 6'6 292 pounds, Wilson was 6'4 209 pounds. I would have shot to kill any man or woman of any color that height or weight coming towards me.

Do you think Wilson actually wanted to kill a kid that day? Do you really think Wilson is enjoying the fact he probably can't live in Missouri, or anywhere without fear of his life? His career is over.

A sad day, truly, the police force has lost a man of true value to the retard "didn do nuffin" masses.
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Skorvold
Byond Username: Skorvold

Post by Skorvold » #45957

nsos is smarter than all of us
Never give up! Trust your instincts!
Spoiler:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/skorvold
Talk to me on steam anytime.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #45959

Skorvold wrote:Do you really think Wilson is enjoying the fact he probably can't live in Missouri, or anywhere without fear of his life? His career is over.
Darren Wilson's career is over.

Michael Brown's life is over.
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
fleure

Post by fleure » #45962

Skorvold wrote:nsos is smarter than all of us
He listens to SPK let's not get carried away here
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #45970

I took part in the London protests and was there during the riots. Seeing how people behaved there it's hard not to think that human nature can only be bundled up in societal constraint before bursting at the slightest opportunity. I saw people I know looting phone shops, hell I even joined in screaming at the riot cops, though after they started beating the shit out of people.

It's just hard to see this as anything but an endless cycle with no positive outcome.

On the bright side you get to watch hipsters and anons from 4chan streaming themselves getting the shit beat out of them and teargassed which is endlessly entertaining for some reason.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
nsos

Post by nsos » #45971

fleure wrote:
Skorvold wrote:nsos is smarter than all of us
He listens to SPK let's not get carried away here
i ride and die for spk from 1979-1983 everything they did after sucks dick
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #45979

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #45997

Intigracy wrote:Wasn't there something about there being firing residue on Brown's hands?
If his hands were up then surely the gunfire could have caused that, unless it's only discharged behind. I dunno guns.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Spacezenegger

Post by Spacezenegger » #45999

People actually thought Wilson was going to be indicted?
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #46000

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #46001

Spacezenegger wrote:People actually thought Wilson was going to be indicted?
Not for a second. Even the prosecutor supported him.
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #46013

Spacezenegger wrote:People actually thought Wilson was going to be indicted?
Eh. The optimist in me was hoping he'd at least go to court.

Didn't help that the jury had just enough white folks to clear the vote to not indict him. Kinda funny how that works, eh?

Tbh this whole thing has been a massive shitshow. We still have no idea exactly WHAT happened at the scene, I remember hearing at some point that the shop owner said Brown hadn't robbed him and then hearing the opposite, the cops decide to pull out their brand-new riot gear the moment they had an opportunity. Escalation happened and now these idiots are burning down stores and causing a full-on riot when even Brown's family is saying "yo wait what the fuck we don't want this".

And again, that whole thing about more than half of the jury being Caucasian. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #46018

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maccus
Byond Username: FrowningMaccus

Post by Maccus » #46023

>Cop shoots a criminal attacking him

How awful.

Spoiler:
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays
Byond Username: An0n3

Post by Timbrewolf » #46025

I don't care who you are, what color you are, where you are.
You aggress a cop and you get shot. End of story.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Donk Honk
Byond Username: LindsaysAwhore

Post by Donk Honk » #46058

To be honest, this whole situation was fucked from the very start. Race, security, order, chaos all falling into a bucket that society is filling on its own.

Also why is everyone focusing on this?

THERES A PLAN FROM MALAYSIA THATS GONE MISSING
Spacezenegger

Post by Spacezenegger » #46059

Vekter wrote:
Spacezenegger wrote:And again, that whole thing about more than half of the jury being Caucasian. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?
You think that the jury was rigged to be white so that he wouldn't get indicted?
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #46060

An0n3 wrote:I don't care who you are, what color you are, where you are.
You aggress a cop and you get shot. End of story.
^
people trying to blame race on this whole thing are looking at the wrong thing
he went for the cop's gun. that's the evidence. if you want to say that the jury made shit up or cherrypicked evidence and your only support for that claim is that the majority of said jury was white, i dont know what to tell you.
unlike what the media wants you to think, not all white people are racist assholes who think black people should be shot for stupid reasons
Last edited by miggles on Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #46061

Donk Honk wrote:To be honest, this whole situation was fucked from the very start. Race, security, order, chaos all falling into a bucket that society is filling on its own.

Also why is everyone focusing on this?

THERES A PLAN FROM MALAYSIA THATS GONE MISSING
Oceanic flight 815. Sorry I've been watching Lost recently.
Spoiler:

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #46066

Irrespective of race, if you rush to attack a police officer, especially when your larger and bigger than them, don't act surprised when said officer fires on you.

I took some time to read the court notes, the evidence presented (from the investigation) backed up the officer's testimony that Brown rushed the officer and tried to reach for his gun. Not to mention there is surveillance footage showing Brown stealing 50$ worth of cigars at a local store a few minutes prior to the altercation.

When it come's to criminal cases, you have to present enough evidence to prove "beyond reasonable doubt" that the defendant (officer) is guilty. You can't go in thinking he "might have done it" or there's a 50/50 chance he did. It's clear in this case there is insufficient evidence to support the officer being in the wrong and far more evidence saying his actions were justified.

It's just a bad situation all around.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #46068

Maybe the jury was mostly white because the population of the United States is mostly white.

I don't think it's fair to Brown to bring up the facebook pictures of the gang signs and pistols, to talk about something he did earlier that day, etc.

But it's no less unfair to automatically assume the White cop shot the Black kid just because he was Black.
White cops shoot White people when the situation calls for it.
Black cops shoot White people when the situation calls for it.
Our media is just much much better at making sure everyone hears about every instance of White on Black violence.

That's not to say that racism doesn't exist. Holy fuck, it does. It totally does. But it's much more insidious and social. It's in the hearts of people who hear something like this and immediately assume the White guy did it because the Black guy was Black. No matter what color the person who is that is making that assumption, that's racism.
Last edited by Timbrewolf on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #46071

An0n3 wrote: I don't think it's fair to Brown to bring up the facebook pictures of the gang signs and pistols, to talk about something he did earlier that day, etc.
I was referring to this video I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkOfqIXkBRE

It is fair because it helps establish context, it's the difference between a one off event and a string of criminal activity.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #46073

Steelpoint wrote:
An0n3 wrote: I don't think it's fair to Brown to bring up the facebook pictures of the gang signs and pistols, to talk about something he did earlier that day, etc.
I was referring to this video I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkOfqIXkBRE

It is fair because it helps establish context, it's the difference between a one off event and a string of criminal activity.
Establishing the character of the victim/accused is admissible in court.
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #46074

If it was a video of him physically assaulting someone beyond a shove it would seem more relevant to me.

He doesn't stop and beat the guy who confronts him, he just brushes him off and leaves. While it does demonstrate Brown as a person who isn't afraid to use his size to get his way it doesn't show him taking someone down and beating them like the officer described.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #46076

Either way you look at it, this is the best argument thus far as to why police officers should be wearing cameras on their person to record whatever is happening.
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #46079

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #46091

Not only is it dam hard to indict a police officer, it's even harder to slam a white police officer.

They could has squashed this instantly if missouri had a stand your ground law given the fact a gun shot happened from within the squad car. But then again blerb blah witnesses said he did/didn't tried to shanghaied his gun from inside the car.

Steelpoint wrote:Either way you look at it, this is the best argument thus far as to why police officers should be wearing cameras on their person to record whatever is happening.
The irony in this is there was a cop show I think on FOX that had police officers had portable camera via ear piece. I was actually going to do something similar when I take on armed contacts.
(Skip to 4:00 for the wrath of the golden bolt)
Last edited by srifenbyxp on Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Timbrewolf
Rarely plays

Post by Timbrewolf » #46099

It's odd, I think it's easier for people to believe that everyone is good deep down except for people who are pure evil like comic book villains or some shit. Violence never solves anything, that everything could be talked out or there's a compromise blah blah blah.

They want to believe everything is fueled by racism because it makes the problem simpler. If only we didn't have such racist police officers shooting unarmed people nobody would ever do the crimes or whatever. If only people could stop being racist all the problems would go away.

It's a harder problem to admit that economic disparity, social disparity, depression, frustration, and just raw animal hate exist. There's no quick fix for that shit. The fairy-tale fight of good vs. evil is all fucked up when you put that on the table.

No, it had to be fueled by racism because the alternative is too hard to swallow.
Shed Wolf Numero Uno
NSFW: