Medical suggestions

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Medical suggestions

Post by Anonmare » #459245

Foreword:
For the record, my coding knowledge is somewhat iffy so I'm not 100% certain on how feasible these would be.

Allow multiple bodyparts to be prepped for surgery at once
The gist is essentially being able to use medical/bed sheets to define a surgery for each limb and being able to perform multiple surgeries at once. As it currently stands, you can only have one surgery running per person and that surgery must be followed to completion before you can move onto the next.
An example of this change in practice, if it went through, is being able to prep each bodypart for augmentation and being able to do it all in one go.

Make the defib icon indicate how much time you have left to defib
Needs little explanation. Could just make the icon start off blue and progressively become red as the window for defibbing starts to close.

Add prosthetics with different strengths and weaknesses
Presently, there's two types of prosthetics: the surplus limbs and the cyborg limbs. I think there ought to be more types of limbs made from different materials with different effects - it may be a good idea to seperate prosthetics from cyborg limbs as will.
  • Surplus prosthetics - Remain as they are. Extremely cheap and plentiful to make.
  • Standard prosthetics - Equal to standard robo limbs. Still somewhat plentiful.
  • Heavy prosthetics - Made from plasteel. Tougher than regular limbs, have more health and provide innate armor on top of their damage reduction. Adds stacking slight slowdown with a fully-augmented body moving at half the speed of a normal person.
  • Light prosthetics - Constructed from titanium. Equal health to the surplus limbs but retain the damage reduction standard limbs would provide. Adds slight stacking speed buffs with a full-body replacement moving twice as fast as a normal person.
  • Plastitanium prosthetics - Made from plastitanium, acts as a compromise between plasteel and titanium and effectively an upgrade over the standard prosthetics. Has slightly less health than the plasteel limbs and increases movespeed, but not as much as titanium does.
  • Hardened prosthetics - Constructed from metal, gold and uranium - A lot of the latter 3 per limb. Statwise, identical to standard limbs but suffers significantly less from being EMP'd.
  • Alloy prosthetics - Requires abductor tech and has expensive construction costs. Limbs regenerate damage over time, much like an alloy golem.
The augment manipulator should be able to paint these limbs as normal.

Allow prosthetic bodies to be constructed
This seems more pertinent with the way clonign seems to be going.
The way I envision it would work is by taking a robo torso, inserting it into the augment manipulator and using that to define it as a full-body prosthetic to turn it from item into a mob body. After that, you should be able to take it out, insert organs and attach limbs to the appropriate parts and insert a brain into the head-case (maybe have it need an MMI?). Each body should be an investment of time and resources but nothing that would be unreasonable.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Re: Medical suggestions

Post by somerandomguy » #459247

1) you can have multiple surgeries in different areas iirc
2) make posibrains useable for prosthetic bodies
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #459248

Make crit take longer to die from, like 4-5 minutes.

To balance this, there's the more difficult cloning and taking more than 100 damage of a single type gives you an ailment that requires surgery to fix.

You can do a self surgery to deal with it's effect for 5 minutes before you must redo it. Getting someone else to do it fixes it for good.

Brute- Broken bone: One of your limbs is disabled.
Burn- Nerve Damage: You can't see what your health is at and you can't change off walk intent.
Toxin- Renal Failure: Vomiting and a terrible moodlet every now and then until you shower (unless you've used a bathroom in the last two minutes).
Oxygen- Crushed lungs: You require double the normal oxygen pressure to have enough air. Up those internals and get an oxygen mask until you get it fixed.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #459249

Port dmca.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #459260

John Doe slashes Bozo in the left upper arm with the energy sword, tearing the muscle.
A motor nerve has been severed!
Multiple sensory nerves have been severed!
Bozo drops the bike horn!
John Doe slashes Bozo in the lower body with the energy sword, tearing the muscle.
Bozo’s guts have been spilled!
Boxo wretches.
John Doe slashes himself in the head, shattering the bone.
The severed part sails off in an arc!
Bozo wretches.
How do you fix poor Bozo in your idea of a new system?
► Show Spoiler
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #459262

He's fucked.

In game though I'd say you can attempt to stabilize the wounds with basic first aid, with follow up surgery being needed to fully repair the damage, as well as maybe needing to insert shitty surplus organs to replace organs that were destroyed.

I'll say this again, I feel the more complex we aim for our medical system, the more slower and methodical our combat system would need to be.

Our current combat and movement is based around insane movement and quick kills, which would not mesh well with a medical system that has severe repercussions for major wounds and more involved healing processes.
Amusingly that demonstration feels quite close to Lifeweb's medical/combat system
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #459264

somerandomguy wrote:1) you can have multiple surgeries in different areas iirc
Can't, I tried yesterday.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #459265

Farquaar wrote:
John Doe slashes Bozo in the left upper arm with the energy sword, tearing the muscle.
A motor nerve has been severed!
Multiple sensory nerves have been severed!
John Doe slashes Bozo in the lower body with the energy sword, tearing the muscle.
Boxo wretches.
John Doe slashes himself in the head, shattering the bone.
The severed part sails off in an arc!
Bozo wretches.
I wouldn't know cause it's not my system. All I've suggested is adding some new things to the existing one
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #459280

He meant nabski's
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #459290

Simply letting artificial hearts be defibbable forever would do wonders for medical. You would actually have a reason to get them, organ replacement surgery requires too many factors for as little payoff as you get from it anyway.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #459308

Farquaar wrote:
John Doe slashes Bozo in the left upper arm with the energy sword.
Bozo wretches.
Lets see, the clown has been attacked with an esword (brute damage).
He dropped the horn, that implies that has 50 damage to that limb, so it is disabled.

His guts have fallen out, those will need to be put back in. (Surgery 1)

Loss of organs typically leads to some toxin damage. (Charcoal/Anti-toxin)

Did the brute or toxin damage do more than 100 damage?
-If Y (Surgery 2)
-If N (Do Nothing)

Give Bicarde for the brute damage.

Have they lost too much blood?
-Y (Bloodbag, then morphine because they're a clown)
-Eh (Iron, then morphine because they're a clown)
-No (Morphine because they're a clown)

Congratulations, you have treated the patient. Please place them in disposals and pull the trigger.

Onto the next patient.

Stick his brain in an MMI and demand his uplink code.
Did they give it?
-Y (Enjoy your loot and put the brain in disposals)
-N (Hide him in a locker and check again in five minutes)
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #459313

Another idea that I posted in another thread:

Make cloning an involved process. Each stage requires a geneticist (or doctor if none are available) to check if everything is going normally.

For instance, the cloner would have a display light that changes colour based on how far along the clone is. At each "stage" there is a chance of something going wrong. These problems could be fixed by pressing certain buttons on the cloning console or by adding more or less common chemicals to the cloner. If untreated, the resulting clone could end up with missing limbs and organs, have brain damage, nerve problems or other mutations.

While ignoring problems at any stage is bad, problems that occur in the first stage are more likely to result in death, and the second stage are more likely to result in disabilities. Issues in the third stage can cause problems that are cosmetic or can be fixed with traditional surgery.

Examples:
Spoiler:
Stage 1
Problem: Some ionizing radiation has resulted in improper heart formation.
Treatment: Add mutadone to the cloning tube.
If Untreated: Clone will die before being ejected. The corpse will lack a heart and be severely malformed.

Stage 2
Problem: The clone appears to have a space-Rubella infection.
Treatment: Add spaceaccillin to the cloning tube.
If Untreated: Clone could emerge with hearing problems, vision problems, mental retardation, or weak bones (takes greatly increased brute damage from all sources)

Stage 3
Problem: An membranous band appears to be constricting bloodflow to one of the limbs.
Treatment: Mechanical intervention (button on the console)
If Untreated: Clone will emerge with a missing limb.
The main idea is to encourage the geneticist to have an active role in cloning and to lessen the appeal of cloning as a quick fix. If some doctors are opting to kill and clone their badly mutilated but still-living patients rather than fix their injuries, something needs to be tweaked.

For anyone that actually wants to implement this suggestion, hit me up. I took some courses on embryological development and anatomy that gave me a lot of ideas for potential clone-problems.
► Show Spoiler