Title/subject: A shorter ban please.

Post Content:
Byond account and character name:
Byond: HaggisShuu
in game: Gragnir Grolob

Banning admin: Thunder12345
Ban type (What are you banned from?): All medical roles
Ban reason and length:
Reason: Left a bottle of lethal virus easily accessible in chemistry with nothing to say that it was dangerous as viro. You only escaped a server ban too because it was cured before it could spread to the entire crew. Think very carefully about how you treat viruses in future. Length-1 week
Time ban was placed (including time zone): cannot give exact time, but was around 2:40 (GMT)
Server you were playing when banned (Sybil or Bagil): Bagil
Your side of the story:
Basically when i play as a virologist i make two viruses that usually go by the name of "mega death" and "mega help" (mega death kills, mega help heals). I never intentionally release mega death, i just make it to stop myself from getting bored. And this round, mega death got out. How? i went to chemistry to make the cure (leporazine) i set the bottle down (which i had called with a labeller "chug jug, however i still had "unknown culture bottle" and i wasn't expecting anybody to actually drink it). To my surprise an assistant came over, picked up the bottle and proceeded to chug that jug. Luckily i had just finished the cure, so i left chemistry to go give him the cure and he grabs me, smashes me onto a table and kicks me to death. (i will attach pictures) The cure was in my bag. I was going to fix this mistake. It broke out because a greytider murderboned me. As i said i did name it chug jug, and i did take it out of viro, so i accept responsibility partially, i never intended for it to break out and when it did i fully intended to cure it. If my intention was to kill everybody on the station i would of destroyed the chem dispensers.
Why you think you should be unbanned: I'm not asking for an unban, it was my fault it got out. But i feel as though a one week ban is too much for something that was largely out of my control. A one day ban i would of accepted.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
(images/evidence):
https://prnt.sc/lsddl2
https://prnt.sc/lsddsm
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Request for an unban/shorter ban

Post by D&B » #460437

How the fuck is it your fault an assistant broke in and drunk it?
HaggisShuu

Re: Request for an unban/shorter ban

Post by HaggisShuu » #460438

D&B wrote:How the fuck is it your fault an assistant broke in and drunk it?
It was on the chemistry counter so he was able to grab it when i wasn't looking. But still, i never expected anybody to just pick up a random bottle and drink, i thought floor pill logic applied.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Re: Request for an unban/shorter ban from Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #460439

So you leave a deadly virus out in the open, with an enticingly named label on it, let someone drink it, then act like it was their fault for realising it's the plague and deservedly lynching you. The fact you left the bottle in the open when you could as easily have kept in on your person, or left it safely in virology speaks to either an intentional attempt to have someone drink it, or at the very least willful negligence.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
HaggisShuu

Post by HaggisShuu » #460440

Last edited by HaggisShuu on Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HaggisShuu

Post by HaggisShuu » #460441

Thunder11 wrote:So you leave a deadly virus out in the open, with an enticingly named label on it, let someone drink it, then act like it was their fault for realising it's the plague and deservedly lynching you. The fact you left the bottle in the open when you could as easily have kept in on your person, or left it safely in virology speaks to either an intentional attempt to have someone drink it, or at the very least willful negligence.
I already admit fault for that. But the fact he killed meant absolutely nothing could be done. I told him it was a virus and that it needed curing. Yet his reaction was to kill me.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #460442

Regardless, it's still your fault the virus escaped in the first place, and you do not give me any confidence that you've learned your lesson when you continue to blame other people.

This appeal is denied.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
HaggisShuu

Post by HaggisShuu » #460443

Thunder11 wrote:Regardless, it's still your fault the virus escaped in the first place, and you do not give me any confidence that you've learned your lesson when you continue to blame other people.

This appeal is denied.
I respect this decision but do not agree with. Especially since i have admit fault to it. Numerous times. The fact that i was killed while trying to cure it is the only thing i blamed on another person, i played like a dummie, cocked up. but you have not even acknowledged the fact that i was killed for no reason while trying to fix my mistake.
High Impact Dolphin
Byond Username: High Impact Dolphin

Post by High Impact Dolphin » #460482

The Guide to Genetics wrote:Note: Admins have confirmed that if people inject themselves with a needle they found lying around that says "Godhood" on it without even asking what is in it, you will NOT get punished by turning them into monkeys. Wink wink. Just make sure to answer truthfully if asked, and not to inject it yourself. If people are stupid enough to inject themselves with unknown content, let them.
i know we're talking about viro but it is the exact same principle
HaggisShuu

Post by HaggisShuu » #460485

High Impact Dolphin wrote:
The Guide to Genetics wrote:Note: Admins have confirmed that if people inject themselves with a needle they found lying around that says "Godhood" on it without even asking what is in it, you will NOT get punished by turning them into monkeys. Wink wink. Just make sure to answer truthfully if asked, and not to inject it yourself. If people are stupid enough to inject themselves with unknown content, let them.
i know we're talking about viro but it is the exact same principle
i wish
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #460486

Thunder11 wrote:Regardless, it's still your fault the virus escaped in the first place, and you do not give me any confidence that you've learned your lesson when you continue to blame other people.

This appeal is denied.
The tone of this appeal is definitely not one of someone looking for excuses to grief. An assistant snatched a deadly virus and chugged it, suffering the consequences. It seems like you're reading it with some bias or missing some of what he said.

The assistant stomping him before he could cure him should absolve him. When someone succumbs after being critted, we assume the best: The attacker would have done everything in their power to help. Simiarly, beating Haggis before he could act should mean that we assume Haggis was going to do everything they could to fix the problem.

I don't think this ban should stand. I think the initial ban was fine but an appeal is clearly in order based on their reasonable understanding of the situation and admitting fault where it was theirs.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #460491

Virology is different than genetics because viruses spread
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #460510

Guys the appeal is denied, the next step is to make an admin complaint, not argue in the thread.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #460515

Generally speaking, Viro and Toxins have been treated similarly in that while you're given access to dangerous toys, you're expected to treat them as the dangerous things they are and not be wilfully negligent with them. This is true to some extent (i.e. chemistry shouldn't just be giving out hellfoam grenades), but is accentuated for viro and toxins because *their* toys can completely alter the round if used improperly (or properly, from the point of view of an antagonist).

Making a dangerous virus is normally with the understanding that if it gets released more through your fault then anyone else's, it will fall on your head.

Putting the virus labelled "chug jug" on a public access desk (the north one in chemistry, for those unaware) is generally pretty risky, and while I won't speak to the survival chances of a assistant who drinks random unnamed viruses, the circumstances are such that I can't really accuse them of acting in bad faith.

Put it this way, if you made a bomb, went to grab a bombsuit and left the signaller (labelled "Fun Button") on the public desk of R&D, I would find it hard to fault the person who pressed the button, and would doubly find it hard to just wave off your negligence, since it has major impact on the round.

Given the circumstances, I think a weekban from medical roles (with no serverban, to reflect the fact that the disease didn't spiral out of control, though not through your own actions as far as I'm aware) is more then fair, and as Thunder has already denied this I'll go ahead and second that.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg