Naming Policy Changes

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions

Moderator: In-Game Head Admins

User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Naming Policy Changes

Postby Nervere » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:11 am #463137

NAMING POLICY:
When it comes down to it, the biggest issue with our naming policy is the (lack of) consistency of enforcement. When policy threads like these arise, and when bans concerning them do, too, there's always the people that call for a looser naming policy to fix the issue, or a stricter one that puts too many regulations on things. Whenever naming policy gets changed, though, the issue never seems to get fixed. /tg/ has been arguing about naming policy for so many years now. So, the way we can go about minimizing the trouble that players run into with choosing their names is by leaving less things to interpretation, so players know exactly what to expect when they want to choose a name.

In practicality, this means defining what we mean by "excessively OOC", because that's usually what it comes down to. Most names that get struck down are labeled "excessively OOC", because a group of admins think the name is stupid or ridiculous. In combination with the "admins may get involved if your name is dumb" clause, this has allowed for the removal of names on a per-admin basis, where one admin may think that something is acceptable, while another thinks that it is not. The problem this results in is that admins who approve of a name will never bwoink the person for it, until an admin who disapproves comes along and has them change it. The player could have had the name for a great deal of time, but they would've never known that their name was a point of contention until the second they were asked to change it. I'm not even referring to Lady Ari when I say this, because that name is an entirely different case. This has happened many times to players who have had names that were unusual.

We've chosen to edit the naming policy accordingly as to define what is expected of names better to players and admins alike.
I'm going to go over this new policy, piece-by-piece, as to dispel concerns about how it will be applied. You'll notice that it's similar to the old one, but with some key changes and additions.
The precedent has been divided into three parts: 1, 1.1, and 1.2, for the sake of organization.

Rule 3, Precedent 1 wrote:Excessively OOC names fall under rule 3.
Make a minimum effort to have your name fit in a setting involving a wacky space station in the future. A firstname lastname minimum is required for humans and felinids; other species may instead choose to use the default names assigned to them, such as those given through random names, or otherwise any name that is species-appropriate. Honorifics and nicknames are not allowed. Admins may get involved if your name is dumb and can approve or disallow names at their discretion while in-game.

The first change you'll notice is that we defined species-specific naming expectations. "Firstname Lastname" has always been the rule for humans, yet other species never had to follow this. It wasn't written down anywhere, it was just expected.
The standard that we will hold other species to is the default names for their species, with one caveat: other species-appropriate names are accepted as well. What we had in mind while writing this portion is that the default Argonian names assigned to lizardpeople is the standard (as per the randomnames in the code), but the popular Verbs-The-Noun format is acceptable as well. The "species-appropriate" clause applies to all species, not just lizardpeople, but you should be cautious and reasonable when deviating from the standard.

Another change you'll notice in this section is that nicknames are no longer permitted. Honorifics are still not allowed. The reasoning for this one is pretty simple. The quality of a nickname is even more subjective than the quality of a person's IC name, which leads to a lot of shitty and unrealistic nicknames, which technically couldn't be changed because, well, you can create any sort of justification for having a nickname. It was for this reason that nicknames were disallowed about a year and a half ago - to keep them allowed feels like repeating a mistake of the past. (Admittedly, names similar to the lines of, "Janice 'Foxy' Lean", while funny, were among the reasons why this had to be implemented).

Before I move on to the next point, I'd like to mention that we did decide to keep this part of naming policy, despite its somewhat controversial nature:

Rule 1, Precedent 1 (excerpt) wrote:Admins may get involved if your name is dumb and can approve or disallow names at their discretion while in-game.

This is because, much like our other rules such as rule 1, naming policy cannot cover everything. Try as we might to make it consistent and well-defined, people are always thinking up new names, and some of them are just terrible.
While empowering admins to remove names because they are "dumb" is contrary to the goal of consistency, every broad policy needs a catch-all, and this clause is what serves as that for naming policy.
When in doubt, remember: rule 7 applies to naming policy, too. If your name(s) are consistently borderline, you will be asked to change them.

Rule 3 Precedent 1.1 wrote:Excessively OOC is defined as names which are intentionally hard to read/spell, references to in-game mechanics or OOC terminology, and any form of nonsensical/bad-faith name (ex. Adolf Hitler, FAGGOT PUNCHER, Poop Boy, xXrobustspaceman420Xx etc).

This is the next addition to naming policy. It's our way of defining just what exactly we mean by "excessively OOC". If your name falls into any of these categories, you can be completely certain that an admin will ask you to change your name. If your name does not fall into these categories, your name probably isn't excessively OOC. Examples are given for what a "nonsensical name" constitutes, but it's not an exhaustive list. If your name is similar in nature to the nonsensical names listed, perhaps it's time you find a new name.

[!!Important!!]
This change may seem like yet another restriction, but in fact it opens up what players are allowed to name themselves. In the past, many otherwise acceptable names were removed because they were "excessively OOC", when really no one but the admin saying so knew what that meant. Now, so long as your name follows what is expected of your species, isn't excessively OOC (as defined above), and can be reasonably said to not be dumb/bad-faith (i.e. not line-toeing), your name is acceptable. Consider that this has a strong relevance to human/felinid names in particular. If your human/felinid name fits the criteria that I just listed, you are OK to use it. Do be aware, however, of the following: citing a baby name website, or other real-life examples does not make your terrible name any better. There are an infinite amount of terribly stupid combinations of things that people are named these days, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good name.

Rule 3 Precedent 1.2 wrote:1.2 Clowns, mimes, silicons, wizards, and nuke ops have significantly more leeway in choosing their names, but try to be reasonable.

This is just another clarification of something that went unstated in previous versions of naming policy. You have more leeway with choosing your name in these roles, but if it's something utterly awful, we still reserve the right to ask you to change it.

Misc.
I'm going to update this section with stuff as questions arrive and are answered.
For now, I'm just going to say this: no names will be grandfathered in. While this policy allows for a great degree of openness for some names, we still expect that humans/felinids follow a firstname lastname format.
Human names which do not follow this format, some of which were previously allowed, will no longer be grandfathered in.

Conclusion
That's a lot of words. I'm not going to write a TL;DR, that can only end badly. The writing I put here is meant to act as a basis for what the policy is intended to accomplish, as well as clarifying a few things. The policy speaks for itself, though.
You probably have a good deal of questions and clarifications that you want answered. This thread should serve as a general-purpose places of questions and feedback.



User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby oranges » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:18 am #463141

so it's the same policy but you just made it slightly longer and didn't actually address the bits where people are unsure on?
Image

ghostecho
 
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 am
Byond Username: GhostEchoe

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby ghostecho » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:22 am #463143

Just a quick read through, this seems to change the rules into a direction the majority of players did not want nor asked for.

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby oranges » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:23 am #463144

You're free to leave
Image

User avatar
Boris
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:21 pm
Location: Soon to be Atlantis
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Boris » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:25 am #463146

oh fuck he did it
I have sinned and i must repent, go play starsector.

ghostecho
 
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 am
Byond Username: GhostEchoe

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby ghostecho » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:27 am #463147

Following my statement, with firstname lastname format, does the new execessively ooc names disallow ones such as Oldman Robustin?

ghostecho
 
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 am
Byond Username: GhostEchoe

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby ghostecho » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:28 am #463148

oranges wrote:You're free to leave

Im also free to stay and try to push policy in different directions as fruitless as it may be, keeping in mind my original name hasnt come under fire from naming policy.

User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Nervere » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:29 am #463149

No, something like Oldman Robustin is fine. It doesn't fall into the definition defined for excessively OOC, it’s firstname lastname, it's in good faith, and it's definitely reasonable.

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby oranges » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:33 am #463150

ghostecho wrote:
oranges wrote:You're free to leave

Im also free to stay and try to push policy in different directions as fruitless as it may be, keeping in mind my original name hasnt come under fire from naming policy.

good post
Image

ghostecho
 
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 am
Byond Username: GhostEchoe

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby ghostecho » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:36 am #463151

Further questions would include
Shall Randolph Checkers Esq. have to change his name, as well as Ostrava of Nanotrasen, etc
And becuase Im a MGS3 nerd and love my shirtless meme, may I take back Naked Svipul since nicknames are no longer allowed(though I presume not)
Edit for not extra posts: I assume traitors, ops etc can use agent IDs for whatever names they want for the most part still?

Skillywatt
 
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:29 pm
Byond Username: Tiguar

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Skillywatt » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:50 am #463152

am I going to get bwoinked for State Your Lawlz as clown or Zorg the Borg as borg? the former isnt firstname lastname (but is a clown) and the last is sort of a "title" or "honorific".

User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Nervere » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:57 am #463154

I really don’t want this thread to devolve into asking questions about specific names, but I’ll answer this anyway.
Randolph Checkers Esq. should be changed to Randolph Checkers, esquire is an honorific so it wouldn’t be allowed.
Naked Svipul is a bad name. While it’s a MGS reference and I can appreciate that, naming yourself “Naked” falls into the “dumb” territory, and frankly isn’t any more reasonable than naming yourself “Clothed”.
As for agent ID cards, I don’t believe we’ve ever had any sort of restrictions on those. I’d put them in the territory of clowns/operatives - just about anything goes, but try to be reasonable.

Skillywatt wrote:am I going to get bwoinked for State Your Lawlz as clown or Zorg the Borg as borg? the former isnt firstname lastname (but is a clown) and the last is sort of a "title" or "honorific".

No. Clowns, mimes, silicons, wizards, and nuke ops have just about no naming restrictions.

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby oranges » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:58 am #463155

if only the policy actually answered the questions people have 4head
Image

User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Nervere » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:59 am #463156

Any new policy is bound to have questions, oranges.
I understand you’re a proponent of a shorter/no naming policy, but if it’s consistency you want then that’s not the solution.

User avatar
confused rock
 
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby confused rock » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:05 am #463159

is it reasonable to name myself "the unloved rock" as wizard
Image

User avatar
Qustinnus
TGMC Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:30 am
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Qustinnus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:09 am #463161

so what about cancer XD

User avatar
Bawhoppennn
Github User
 
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:42 pm
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Bawhoppennn » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:11 am #463163

While it's not a new change, I still think the firstname/lastname rule is an ethno-centric view of how naming should be dealt with. While I'm no expert on the subject, I know that many places in Africa and Asia traditionally have followed a much different naming scheme than we do here in the West. Wouldn't it be logical for a futuristic space station set in the 26th century, that's already implied to be a melting pot of both fictional and real different cultures, to tolerate and accept all different naming formats (especially considering they do exactly this for different species already)?
Image
<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen

DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.

User avatar
Qustinnus
TGMC Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:30 am
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Qustinnus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:12 am #463164

Bawhoppennn wrote:While it's not a new change, I still think the firstname/lastname rule is an ethno-centric view of how naming should be dealt with. While I'm no expert on the subject, I know that many places in Africa and Asia traditionally have followed a much different naming scheme than we do here in the West. Wouldn't it be logical for a futuristic space station set in the 26th century, that's already implied to be a melting pot of both fictional and real different cultures, to tolerate and accept all different naming formats (especially considering they do exactly this for different species already)?

nanotrasen only hires civilized Europeans

User avatar
Vaina
 
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:07 pm
Byond Username: Vaina

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Vaina » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:18 am #463165

Nervere wrote:
Rule 1, Precedent 1 (excerpt) wrote:Admins may get involved if your name is dumb and can approve or disallow names at their discretion while in-game.

This is because, much like our other rules such as rule 1, naming policy cannot cover everything. Try as we might to make it consistent and well-defined, people are always thinking up new names, and some of them are just terrible.
While empowering admins to remove names because they are "dumb" is contrary to the goal of consistency, every broad policy needs a catch-all, and this clause is what serves as that for naming policy.
When in doubt, remember: rule 7 applies to naming policy, too. If your name(s) are consistently borderline, you will be asked to change them.
Rule 3 Precedent 1.2 wrote:1.2 Clowns, mimes, silicons, wizards, and nuke ops have significantly more leeway in choosing their names, but try to be reasonable.

This is just another clarification of something that went unstated in previous versions of naming policy. You have more leeway with choosing your name in these roles, but if it's something utterly awful, we still reserve the right to ask you to change it.

Fantastic. Then we're still at the mercy of subjective opinions that can be enforced at any admin's leisure. You failed to address the crux of the problem everyone was talking about and wanted gone.

This was a huge waste of your time. Well done. Really.

User avatar
LadyAri
 
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:17 am
Byond Username: Belchinganna

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby LadyAri » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:25 am #463166

Doesn't really seem like much changed, but its always nice to have things in writing.

I just wanna say the only reason I used that cite as a source is the name comes from far before year 2k. but yeah.

"Clowns, mimes, silicons, wizards, and nuke ops"

Why though is what I'm curious about. If certain names are not ok in game (not talking about mine here) for breaking immersion or for being just generally OOC to the majority of the station, special rules shouldn't apply to certain roles right? I am ok with this really, I love to see silly names on the clown or creative ones on anyone really, but just wondering the thought process is all.

Thank you all for writing something like this up.

User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Nervere » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:34 am #463167

confused rock wrote:is it reasonable to name myself "the unloved rock" as wizard

Yes, I just answered a question similar to this one. See 1.2.

Qustinnus wrote:so what about cancer XD

This is why we have the catch-all, calling yourself Cancer XD is objectively a terrible name and could also be construed as bad-faith.

Bawhoppennn wrote:-snip-

If you’re referring to mononames, it’s something we considered, but ultimately it’s something that was killed off some time ago after firstname lastname became the standard for “minimum effort”. It’s probably not worth the trouble bringing it back, especially with how strange it’d be to regulate. Same can be said for other naming formats. It’s hard to have a solid policy without some form of structure, so it’s essential for us to use Western-style naming, which the majority are familiar with, as the base for this structure.

Vaina wrote:Fantastic. Then we're still at the mercy of subjective opinions that can be enforced at any admin's leisure. You failed to address the crux of the problem everyone was talking about and wanted gone.

This was a huge waste of your time. Well done. Really.

It’s impossible to remove subjectivity from naming policy. The changes we’ve made here help to make the policy more objective, but complete objectivity is impossible. At the same time, completely removing the clause would make naming policy next to useless. Again, this is a rather broad policy. Without a way for admins to get rid of line-toeing names, it could be abused pretty easily. If an admin makes a bad call, it can be appealed, from which point it is subject to headmin review.

User avatar
imsxz
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 pm
Byond Username: Imsxz

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby imsxz » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:39 am #463168

kill ostrava of nanotrasen NOW
Image

please subscribe to me on youtube

terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:



Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz


Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.


Image

User avatar
Cobby
Github User
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 pm
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Cobby » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:41 am #463169

Get an admin to note your name meets the naming policy criteria so retard admins who want to be annoying have to take it to policy (else they're overruling another admin), and we can all laugh.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current

User avatar
Vaina
 
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:07 pm
Byond Username: Vaina

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Vaina » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:47 am #463170

Nervere wrote:It’s impossible to remove subjectivity from naming policy. The changes we’ve made here help to make the policy more objective, but complete objectivity is impossible. At the same time, completely removing the clause would make naming policy next to useless. Again, this is a rather broad policy. Without a way for admins to get rid of line-toeing names, it could be abused pretty easily. If an admin makes a bad call, it can be appealed, from which point it is subject to headmin review.

First off, I appreciate that you were able to respond so politely.

My main concern (and I'm sure for many others is) with this is
If an admin makes a bad call, it can be appealed, from which point it is subject to headmin review.

Time after time it's been proven how ineffective this approach is. Is it good on paper? Absolutely. Is it practiced faithfully?

No. And Lady Ari's case hasn't given us reason to believe otherwise. It should be so stupid as to be clear-cut, but the headmins have taken the better part of a month to reach a consensus. Going through the painstaking process of writing an appeal, with the almost certain knowledge it will get rejected or take weeks to pull through, is something no one wants to undergo.

User avatar
Nervere
 
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 am
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Nervere » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:53 am #463171

Lady Ari wrote:"Clowns, mimes, silicons, wizards, and nuke ops"

Why though is what I'm curious about. If certain names are not ok in game (not talking about mine here) for breaking immersion or for being just generally OOC to the majority of the station, special rules shouldn't apply to certain roles right? I am ok with this really, I love to see silly names on the clown or creative ones on anyone really, but just wondering the thought process is all.


The reasoning is because these roles, barring silicons, have always been the “wacky”er part of SS13. We don’t want to enforce a naming policy on roles like clowns or mimes, who typically have outlandish performer names. It does seem odd to allow what is often immersion-breaking names for these roles, but at the same times they’re what add to the silliness of SS13. It’s a time-honored thing for them to have this privilege, one that we’re not willing to break.

Silicons are kind of the odd ones out for this rule of silliness, but we chose to group them in anyway because they’ve not been held to much of a naming standard in the past and most names can be justified well.

imsxz wrote:kill ostrava of nanotrasen NOW

Ostrava of Nanotrasen doesn’t follow the firstname lastname format, and as such isn’t allowed under this policy.

User avatar
zxaber
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:00 am
Byond Username: Zxaber

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby zxaber » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:55 am #463172

What about appealing an admin's take on a name? The main issue seems to be inconsistencies between different admins enforcing the policy. If a player told by an admin that their name is unacceptable, are they able to appeal? Can a headmin be expected to eventually make final decision on the name, possibly adding a note to the player that "X name is acceptable" or something if they find the name actually okay?
Never-mind, was answered three-odd posts above. With the ability to appeal, it's probably okay.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
Image
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"

User avatar
Shezza
 
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 6:54 pm
Byond Username: Wilchen

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Shezza » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:23 am #463176

This is a good one

include me in the screenshot

User avatar
Deitus
 
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:26 pm
Byond Username: Deitus

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Deitus » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:11 am #463181

ghostecho wrote:
oranges wrote:You're free to leave

Im also free to stay and try to push policy in different directions as fruitless as it may be, keeping in mind my original name hasnt come under fire from naming policy.

>Fruitless
>He is literally an orange
Um sweaty no
This entire thread is giving me big laffs btw keep it going
Image

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby iamgoofball » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:31 am #463183

Bawhoppennn wrote:While it's not a new change, I still think the firstname/lastname rule is an ethno-centric view of how naming should be dealt with. While I'm no expert on the subject, I know that many places in Africa and Asia traditionally have followed a much different naming scheme than we do here in the West. Wouldn't it be logical for a futuristic space station set in the 26th century, that's already implied to be a melting pot of both fictional and real different cultures, to tolerate and accept all different naming formats (especially considering they do exactly this for different species already)?

half the admins play japs, they won't get on your case for being a weeb name

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby iamgoofball » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:32 am #463184

also lol @ every player saying they want less restrictive naming policy then the admins double down on the existing shit

totally good representatives, i hope you enjoyed your vote :^)

User avatar
Grazyn
 
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 am
Byond Username: Grazyn

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Grazyn » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:45 am #463185

Nervere wrote:Ostrava of Nanotrasen doesn’t follow the firstname lastname format, and as such isn’t allowed under this policy.

"of x" is a last name with a nobiliary particle like von Braun, van Gogh, d'Este, de Gaulle etc.

You're again abusing policy to ban names you don't like but don't quite break it, which is exactly what sparked the first thread. If you think it's a stupid name ban it because it's stupid not because it violates format, it does not.

User avatar
Suicidalpickles
 
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:04 am
Byond Username: SuicidalPickles

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Suicidalpickles » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:46 am #463186

nicknames are a mistake
they will not be missed
don't @ me

User avatar
Plapatin
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:26 am
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:
Byond Username: Plapatin

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Plapatin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:59 am #463188

protest this naming policy by naming yourself "dan gheesling" and using shaved + gelled back and dark brown hair as an assistant
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine

i am immensely insecure please leave nice comments in my feedback thread

User avatar
JStheguy
 
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:49 am
Byond Username: JStheguy

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby JStheguy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:19 am #463190

>People throw a shitfit over being told to change their shitty names on their 2d spacemen
>Headmins deliberate for a month only to making naming policy harsher
I can not put into words how much schadenfreude I'm feeling right now.

User avatar
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 pm
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby NikNakFlak » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:24 am #463192

Grazyn wrote:
Nervere wrote:Ostrava of Nanotrasen doesn’t follow the firstname lastname format, and as such isn’t allowed under this policy.

"of x" is a last name with a nobiliary particle like von Braun, van Gogh, d'Este, de Gaulle etc.

You're again abusing policy to ban names you don't like but don't quite break it, which is exactly what sparked the first thread. If you think it's a stupid name ban it because it's stupid not because it violates format, it does not.

source or literally made up information
REDACTED
pm for deets

User avatar
Vaina
 
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:07 pm
Byond Username: Vaina

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Vaina » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:39 am #463195

NikNakFlak wrote:
Grazyn wrote:
Nervere wrote:Ostrava of Nanotrasen doesn’t follow the firstname lastname format, and as such isn’t allowed under this policy.

"of x" is a last name with a nobiliary particle like von Braun, van Gogh, d'Este, de Gaulle etc.

You're again abusing policy to ban names you don't like but don't quite break it, which is exactly what sparked the first thread. If you think it's a stupid name ban it because it's stupid not because it violates format, it does not.

source or literally made up information

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobiliary_particle

User avatar
obscolene
 
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:37 am
Location: In it 2 win it :-]
Byond Username: Obscolene

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby obscolene » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:44 am #463197

Giving players freedom of choice was a mistake. If we don't have state-enforced randomnaming by 2070 we are doomed as a society.
sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)

Image
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
Image
ImageImageImage
Image

User avatar
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 pm
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby NikNakFlak » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:03 am #463198

Vaina wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:
Grazyn wrote:
Nervere wrote:Ostrava of Nanotrasen doesn’t follow the firstname lastname format, and as such isn’t allowed under this policy.

"of x" is a last name with a nobiliary particle like von Braun, van Gogh, d'Este, de Gaulle etc.

You're again abusing policy to ban names you don't like but don't quite break it, which is exactly what sparked the first thread. If you think it's a stupid name ban it because it's stupid not because it violates format, it does not.

source or literally made up information

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobiliary_particle

both the examples we have here are literally referencing royalty, not a regular name
REDACTED
pm for deets

User avatar
Vaina
 
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:07 pm
Byond Username: Vaina

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Vaina » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:06 am #463199

NikNakFlak wrote:
Vaina wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:
Grazyn wrote:
Nervere wrote:Ostrava of Nanotrasen doesn’t follow the firstname lastname format, and as such isn’t allowed under this policy.

"of x" is a last name with a nobiliary particle like von Braun, van Gogh, d'Este, de Gaulle etc.

You're again abusing policy to ban names you don't like but don't quite break it, which is exactly what sparked the first thread. If you think it's a stupid name ban it because it's stupid not because it violates format, it does not.

source or literally made up information

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobiliary_particle

both the examples we have here are literally referencing royalty, not a regular name

A royal name is still a name. What's your point?

User avatar
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 pm
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby NikNakFlak » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:07 am #463200

Nanotrasen isn't royalty
REDACTED
pm for deets

User avatar
Vaina
 
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:07 pm
Byond Username: Vaina

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Vaina » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:12 am #463201

Way to grasp at straws. It's a valid naming convention. You asked for evidence, you were given the evidence.

Funfact: De la Rosa, and by lesser extension DeSouza (or D'Souza), are both surnames that fall under nobilary particle (or toponymy). Fairly common names, too. It's nice that you think Wernher von Braun and Vincent van Gogh aren't regular names, though.

User avatar
Farquaar
 
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:20 am
Location: Somewhere north of Hogtown
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Farquaar » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:39 am #463204

Vaina wrote:Funfact: De la Rosa, and by lesser extension DeSouza (or D'Souza), are both surnames that fall under nobilary particle (or toponymy). Fairly common names, too. It's nice that you think Wernher von Braun and Vincent van Gogh aren't regular names, though.

While I understand your argument, the names you listed are following cultural naming conventions other than English. I'm sure you have never met an American, English-Canadian, or Brit who has "of" in their last name. If it were a common naming convention culturally speaking, I would agree with you. Unfortunately, it isn't.

User avatar
Vaina
 
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:07 pm
Byond Username: Vaina

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Vaina » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:49 am #463205

Farquaar wrote: I'm sure you have never met an American, English-Canadian, or Brit who has "of" in their last name.

As a matter of fact, yes: a friend with the surname "of Cambridge". But to answer your question:

Ignoring every British royal that's ever lived, this bears no relevance whatsoever. The setting takes place in space centuries ahead of our time. populated by individuals of every existent and non-existent background.

Is there suddenly a rule requiring everything to be Anglocentric? Because if there is, I'd love to see it.

User avatar
Karp
In-Game Head Admin
 
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:54 am
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Karp » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:58 am #463206

iamgoofball wrote:
Bawhoppennn wrote:While it's not a new change, I still think the firstname/lastname rule is an ethno-centric view of how naming should be dealt with. While I'm no expert on the subject, I know that many places in Africa and Asia traditionally have followed a much different naming scheme than we do here in the West. Wouldn't it be logical for a futuristic space station set in the 26th century, that's already implied to be a melting pot of both fictional and real different cultures, to tolerate and accept all different naming formats (especially considering they do exactly this for different species already)?

half the admins play japs, they won't get on your case for being a weeb name


i run a french name and i cant think of any admin at all who uses Japanese names right now

every admin I can remember uses european/arabic/american/made up names for their character

but that's a good idea goof I'll use Japanese names and make my next character Japanese just for you :­)

User avatar
Grazyn
 
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 am
Byond Username: Grazyn

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Grazyn » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:00 am #463207

NikNakFlak wrote:Nanotrasen isn't royalty

So if I want to make a name using a nobiliary particle I have to use a real noble name from the current era? So von Richthofen is allowed but von Myrtle (made up on the spot) is not? May want to amend the policy to include that

User avatar
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 pm
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby NikNakFlak » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:46 am #463212

Everyone who is using the example of why "of" should be allowed, then proceeds to give me examples of "of" in different languages being applied to english names.
REDACTED
pm for deets

User avatar
Grazyn
 
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 am
Byond Username: Grazyn

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Grazyn » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:03 am #463216

NikNakFlak wrote:Everyone who is using the example of why "of" should be allowed, then proceeds to give me examples of "of" in different languages being applied to english names.

Nervere said that "of x" isn't allowed because it "violates the format", not because it doesn't exist, so it means that "de Nanotrasen" "von Nanotrasen" shouldn't be allowed as well, despite being perfectly legit examples of valid formats.

Again, just say "we don't allow it because it's stupid", or even better, "policy clearly states that real life examples can't be used to justify your name". At least try to pretend to follow your own policy

User avatar
Anuv
 
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:34 pm
Byond Username: Anuv

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Anuv » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:01 am #463226

RIP Janice 'Foxy' Lean 2018-2018
Image
"You mess with the best you die like the rest" - Janice "Foxy" Lean
Citadel Station Employee of the Year - Anuv Haifisch, Vulpakin Engineer

User avatar
Vaina
 
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:07 pm
Byond Username: Vaina

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Vaina » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:50 am #463228

NikNakFlak wrote:Everyone who is using the example of why "of" should be allowed, then proceeds to give me examples of "of" in different languages being applied to english names.

Not only were you given legitimate examples of "of" as a nobiliary particle in the English language, but also the reason why nobiliary particles are themselves a legitimate construct for naming. So far, you've done nothing but grasp at straws, ignore evidence that's been handed on a silver platter when it suits you, and provide absolutely zero counterarguments of substance. When you're done making these snarky one-sentence posts you think show how cool and based you are, do feel free to let everyone know.

This is the last post I'm humoring your blatant sophisms and twattery. Go be a Poe literally anywhere else.

User avatar
Qbmax32
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:05 am
Location: somewhere
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Qbmax32 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:54 pm #463230

Anuv wrote:RIP Janice 'Foxy' Lean 2018-2018



Only good thing to come out of this policy tbh
my admin feedback thread


epic gamer quote compilation
Spoiler:
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.

Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit

Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)

Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores

Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate

BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.

feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing

Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.

Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread

imsxz wrote:nervore

FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.

afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me

Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....

Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead

CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs

Next

Return to Town Hall

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arathian