Naming Policy Changes

Users can post replies, but only game admins, mods, and forum admins may post topics. Mainly for questions and official discussions

Moderator: In-Game Head Admins

wesoda25
 
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 pm
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby wesoda25 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:09 pm #463235

Ok but do we lose anything if we make “of” type names a thing of the past. Vaina is it just gonna ruin the game for you if you don’t see Ostrava of Nanotrasen or Jill desouza running around anymore? Headmins gave their ruling, why don’t you just accept it and stop contesting this stupid little detail?

Rip Janice ‘Foxy’ Lean



User avatar
tinodrima7020
 
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:00 am
Byond Username: TinoDrima7020

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby tinodrima7020 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:27 pm #463236

So basically we just removed nicknames?
Last edited by tinodrima7020 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
If you see this image please show Subject217 some love. He's in a dark place right now :(

User avatar
Qbmax32
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:05 am
Location: somewhere
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Qbmax32 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:28 pm #463237

Furries will be purged
my admin feedback thread
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate

BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.

feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing

Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.

Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread

imsxz wrote:nervore

FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.

afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me

Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....

Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead

CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs

User avatar
Mickyan
Github User
 
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:59 pm
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Mickyan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:09 pm #463240

This seems to still give leeway to line-toeing OOC names while adding more restrictions for everyone else using names in good faith, the exact opposite of what most people wanted judging from the policy thread

It's all pretty irrelevant as long as it keeps being enforced selectively anyway

It seems to be implied as such but it's kind of vague so I'm going to ask for posterity: are single names for non-humans allowed if species-appropriate?
Last edited by Mickyan on Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I play as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.

Be nice to each other.

User avatar
confused rock
 
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:18 am
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby confused rock » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:12 pm #463241

I know asking about specific names is irritating, but I think like 10 ish examples could save a lot of later questions, like yes/no for

Frank george smith, as having a completely normal middle name
Cancer XD again
Just one example of an”unreasonable” wiz name
Pepper Mint etc
Image

User avatar
Grazyn
 
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:01 am
Byond Username: Grazyn

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Grazyn » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:24 pm #463245

wesoda25 wrote:Ok but do we lose anything if we make “of” type names a thing of the past. Vaina is it just gonna ruin the game for you if you don’t see Ostrava of Nanotrasen or Jill desouza running around anymore? Headmins gave their ruling, why don’t you just accept it and stop contesting this stupid little detail?

Rip Janice ‘Foxy’ Lean

I think there is a problem when the thread about the new policy contains arbitrary headmin rulings not based on the new policy, and "lol what do you care just roll with it" doesn't feel like a solution. I mean, yes, I don't care and it's not a big deal, this is just a 2d spessman game, it's just disheartening to see the administration behaving this way.

User avatar
Nilons
 
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: NIlons

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Nilons » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:35 pm #463250

Reminder vincent von gogh is not a name that meets minimum effort and would be considered bad faith

the death of ostrava of nanotrasen the rise of ostrava nanotrasen

also how do you get basically "We've disallowed most good faith names and set down a nice clear line to toe so shitters can push the limit of the policy"

from

"We want more room for good faith names and the policy to address line toeing shitters that are specifically pushing the limit of the policy"
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEVd4c1SV2g
Image
Image

User avatar
Nabski
 
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:42 pm
Location: TN
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Nabski » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:03 pm #463258

confused rock wrote:I know asking about specific names is irritating, but I think like 10 ish examples could save a lot of later questions, like yes/no for


No Frank george smith, as having a completely normal middle name (Firstname Lastname)
No Cancer XD again (clearly trying to make a joke, and it's not funny or creative)
Just one example of an”unreasonable” wiz name (I've been a wizard named "AFK" before and I don't think that would be permitted. Wizard names are like clown names, not a real name but something that was picked to sound cool ect. Theres a difference between "BEEFMAN THE ANGUS DESTROYER" and "SURPRISE SURPRISE YET ANOTHER ROUND WITH OF LEXIA BLACK WIZARD")
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Pepper Mint etc (The name was clearly aiming to be a joke instead of a character, but is it excessively OOC? I don't know.)

That's my take on it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Unused entertaining sprite repository. Edits on the left, OC on the right. Sorry that you look like derp little practice turtle.

User avatar
WarbossLincoln
 
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 pm
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby WarbossLincoln » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:08 pm #463259

"species appropriate" is pretty vague and seems like it would restrict good faith names that don't fit the randomname generator. For example I guess Crocodillo no longer is acceptable for a lizard cause it's not a random name or "Makes-The-Memes"
--Crocodillo

Image

somerandomguy
 
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:41 pm
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby somerandomguy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:12 pm #463260

confused rock wrote:I know asking about specific names is irritating, but I think like 10 ish examples could save a lot of later questions, like yes/no for

Frank george smith, as having a completely normal middle name
Cancer XD again
Just one example of an”unreasonable” wiz name
Pepper Mint etc

Cancer XD is bad faith and/or just plain crap
unreasonable wiz name would probably be something like asgdho;sizdhmuilsyncgauescymlymc;hyncr; or "lol ur all in a game"
Pepper Mint should be ok as long as most admins dont think it's dumb, since it's not ooc and mostly reasonable

User avatar
Enzar
 
Joined: Thu May 31, 2018 4:59 pm
Byond Username: Enzarel

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Enzar » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:16 pm #463261

Nabski wrote:No Frank george smith, as having a completely normal middle name (Firstname Lastname)


A firstname lastname minimum is required for humans and felinids


Keyword being "minimum". I don't see a word disallowing middle names, only nicknames and honorifics. But no matter what the case is, this just proves a point that the new policy is "hurr durr not clear enoug"
AKA Matthias Wood: HoS main, part-time greytider and generally a low-key shitter.

User avatar
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:11 pm
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Atlanta-Ned » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:21 pm #463262

Ostrava of Nanotrasen and Janice 'Foxy' Lean are dead now. That's all that matters.
Feedback pls (Don't bother though, because I am perfect)
### ListVarEdit by Atlanta-ned: /datum/reagents reagent_list: Water=/obj/item/weapon/gun/energy/alien
IcePacks wrote:>all you have is a taser and the cold realization that you're a haphazard bandaid over a problem that may or may not exist, applied by someone who doesn't know or care enough about their job to do it properly

OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are

User avatar
Karp
 
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:54 am
Byond Username: Ambassador Magikarp

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Karp » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:32 pm #463263

Nilons wrote:the death of ostrava of nanotrasen the rise of ostrava nanotrasen


I think I would prefer ostrava undertale or ostrava fortnite more than ostrava nanotrasen

User avatar
Shezza
 
Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 6:54 pm
Byond Username: Wilchen

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Shezza » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:42 pm #463264

obscolene wrote:Giving players freedom of choice was a mistake. If we don't have state-enforced randomnaming by 2070 we are doomed as a society.

go away dregonsteps

User avatar
Nilons
 
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: NIlons

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Nilons » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:47 pm #463265

Karp wrote:
Nilons wrote:the death of ostrava of nanotrasen the rise of ostrava nanotrasen


I think I would prefer ostrava undertale or ostrava fortnite more than ostrava nanotrasen

Neither of those are valid under naming policy!
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEVd4c1SV2g
Image
Image

User avatar
Gigapuddi420
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 8:08 am
Location: Dorms
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Postby Gigapuddi420 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:55 pm #463267

tinodrima7020 wrote:So basically we just removed nicknames?

Having nicknames in policy always seemed a bit off to me as a nicknames aren't supposed to be official. Janice Lean could still be called 'Foxy' by their work colleagues without breaking any policy; they could encourage people around them to call them 'Foxy'. Friendly players might oblige while others might make fun of it and invent new nastier nicknames.

From what has been said so far, most of these come under subjective good faith rulings. Wizards can be named pretty much anything but I imagine someone inventive enough could break other server rules using wizard names, you have to earn your ban with a wizard name. Middle names sound like they are ruled out based on the strict 'Firstname Lastname' basis that is being established for humans. Pepper Mint and Cancer XD are rules legal names that might earn you the particular ire of a admin based on their interpretation of good faith on 'dumb' names. The main issue of names being banned based on good faith judgements hasn't changed and we'll still have arguments about silly rules legal names for a silly space game in the future based on the admin banning you. I'd rather we just set a low absolute minimum standard then only further intervene in obvious cases of abuse like testing the character limit or random gibberish. I never had a issue with names like Ostrava of Nanotransen. I wouldn't have a problem with Pepper Mint or Cancer XD either. They are still names even if the duality of Cancer on a Ethereal makes me chuckle.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.

User avatar
Pepper
 
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:53 pm
Location: Ya like Huey Lewis and the Nukes?
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Pepper » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:13 pm #463277

So does this outlaw middle names and initials like Randolph P. Checkers and John F. Kennedy or not?
Image


help

User avatar
Qbmax32
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:05 am
Location: somewhere
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Qbmax32 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:33 pm #463281

I will literally rebel if you ban Randolph P. Checkers
my admin feedback thread
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate

BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.

feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing

Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.

Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread

imsxz wrote:nervore

FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.

afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me

Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....

Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead

CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs

User avatar
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 pm
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby NikNakFlak » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:39 pm #463284

I think vaina exploded, he really made a snarky post when all I did was provide counter arguments.

If you really want to go into it. Nanotrasen isn't royalty isn't grasping at straws, it's literally pointing inconsistencies with all these "of" names and Nilon's name. Nanotrasen isn't a place yet all these "of" names refer to places. These are inconsistencies but sure just wave your finger away. "De" and "von" and all this other shit are normal names now because these are "ofs" in literal different languages that DO NOT have English equivalents because the language (such as Dutch), isn't even in english. Those parts of the name simply carried over into english and became part of a normal last name.
REDACTED
pm for deets

User avatar
Nilons
 
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: NIlons

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby Nilons » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:52 pm #463286

NikNakFlak wrote:I think vaina exploded, he really made a snarky post when all I did was provide counter arguments.

If you really want to go into it. Nanotrasen isn't royalty isn't grasping at straws, it's literally pointing inconsistencies with all these "of" names and Nilon's name. Nanotrasen isn't a place yet all these "of" names refer to places. These are inconsistencies but sure just wave your finger away. "De" and "von" and all this other shit are normal names now because these are "ofs" in literal different languages that DO NOT have English equivalents because the language (such as Dutch), isn't even in english. Those parts of the name simply carried over into english and became part of a normal last name.

Ostrava of Boletaria is also banned though because of the hard first last policy so all of those arguments are also true
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEVd4c1SV2g
Image
Image

User avatar
WarbossLincoln
 
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 pm
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby WarbossLincoln » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:24 pm #463291

I have a feeling if you have a reasonable ethnic name that includes an article you won't actually get bwoinked about it in game, despite the argument going on here. If you have a hispanic spess man named Miguel de la Rossa or something I doubt you'll run into an issue. And if you do make another 6 page long policy thread about it and see if the shit fest does anything.
--Crocodillo

Image

User avatar
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 pm
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby NikNakFlak » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:36 pm #463292

Nilons wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:I think vaina exploded, he really made a snarky post when all I did was provide counter arguments.

If you really want to go into it. Nanotrasen isn't royalty isn't grasping at straws, it's literally pointing inconsistencies with all these "of" names and Nilon's name. Nanotrasen isn't a place yet all these "of" names refer to places. These are inconsistencies but sure just wave your finger away. "De" and "von" and all this other shit are normal names now because these are "ofs" in literal different languages that DO NOT have English equivalents because the language (such as Dutch), isn't even in english. Those parts of the name simply carried over into english and became part of a normal last name.

Ostrava of Boletaria is also banned though because of the hard first last policy so all of those arguments are also true


But Ostrava DeBoletaria or Ostrava VonBoletaria would probably be ok and that's what Vaina is arguing about
REDACTED
pm for deets

User avatar
Nilons
 
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:38 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: NIlons

Re: Naming Policy Changes

Postby