remove golems (not literally remove i just wanted an eye catchy subject)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

remove golems (not literally remove i just wanted an eye catchy subject)

Post by imsxz » #463684

round ID 98950, there were at least 11 BOH holes on the station by the end of it, i know for sure at LEAST half of them were golems, likely all of em but one.

the conflict leading up to it is really really questionable, but should nonantag ghost roles really be able to have this scale of a negative impact on the round?

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Re: remove golems (not literally remove i just wanted an eye catchy subject)

Post by Hathkar » #463686

Just add a line similar to the Lavaland syndies: Don't leave lavaland without a super super good reason.

Remove golems tho
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #463687

Been there. Done that.

A previous head-admin term had seen the same thing. It ruled that golems were not antagonists, and should be usually peaceful ghost roles that have less scrutiny on escalation compared to crewmembers.

Basically, you're valid. You're dispensable. Don't impact the round.
► Show Spoiler
coiax
Byond Username: Coiax

Post by coiax » #463690

Just disable respawning as a ghost role. Once you've been a golem and you've died, they either revive your old golem body, or you can't be a golem anymore that round.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #463691

Wow its almost as if this is a reoccurring problem and the argument to "just ban them" doesn't work??!!

Remove golems.
[this space reserved]
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #463693

Not being able to leave lavaland as golem would be kinda sad though. Golems can be nice, rarely do you see a round like this with all out suicide bombing.

Heck, even just clarifying/enforcing if you are allowed to continually respawn into ghost roles would probably solve the problem.
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #463711

when they leave lavaland they either grief, or provide the crew with OP gear that they were able to get entirely uncontested, its not uncommon to have golems with multiple combat mechas validhunting on the station.

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #463712

tbh if you removed their access to BoH's theyd get curb stomped by the station if they ever tried anything
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #463723

Make death meaningful again.

Remove ghost roles.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #463736

Why keep around a RND tutorial ghost role when RND doesn't need a tutorial anymore?
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #463780

the real joke here is the idea of golem """""""""""escalation"""""""""""" and a shitty ghost role with no consequences that can make infinite lives getting to "declare war" and shit all over the station for perceived injustice

oh and they have rnd too lol with an old protolathe so they get piles of overpowered shit
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #463782

If this is the round I'm thinking of, the captain declared war on the golems over the clown BoH bombing the brig and someone else bombing his office. Insert surprised pikachu face here when the station gets BoH bombed 11 more times.

AFAIK, the golems didn't declare war on the station, it was vice versa subject. This round would be a huge edge case and the golems weren't banned because it was a funny/interesting situation that this game can lead to. Making a polocy or removing them over this would be pretty dumb and a waste of energy imo.

Anyway I guarantee 80% of the posts in this thread will be coding feedback on the golems. May as well move it to coding feedback.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #463809

I've said it before

Take away their access to build teleporters.

Now they have to go through the mining station if they want to attack the station, instead of deep striking into the bridge, and the crew can blow up the shuttle/destroy the consoles if they'd rather cut themselves off from lavaland rather then deal with the golems.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #463843

Nilons wrote:tbh if you removed their access to BoH's theyd get curb stomped by the station if they ever tried anything
This.

But to be honest being ghost roles they should be easily curb stomped by the station. When a ghost role group can be stronger than the station you've got problems.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #463866

Rustledjimm wrote:
Nilons wrote:tbh if you removed their access to BoH's theyd get curb stomped by the station if they ever tried anything
This.

But to be honest being ghost roles they should be easily curb stomped by the station. When a ghost role group can be stronger than the station you've got problems.
They should also be limited to mining mechs only.
[this space reserved]
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #463869

Rustledjimm wrote:
This.

Golems are a benevolent ghost role, you have to go out of your way to piss them off enough to get them to attack. Also some of the most fun Ive had as a golem is when the station legitimately fucked the golems. Example, a miner stole the golem disk without uploading it and then destroyed the golem ORM, I went up to the station as a golem and demanded the disk back. The threat of golem attacks alone got the station to give us the disk back. It was fun conflict.

How hard is it to not piss off golems, christ.

Golems antagonizing the station unprovoked is a player issue, not an issue with the role. the current rules already punish attacking the station with no good reason.

However golems abusing respawning mechanics to suicide bomb should be punished as well. If a golem wants to attack the station they should do something creative like make mechs.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #463895

Onr player “provoking” golems doesn’t give them a free pass to commit a mass shooting. That’s like if we let scientists maxcap cargo if they never get mats. 10 times.
Full on respawn ghost roles spoil people - why would you ever pick a scientist’s slave golem when you can be a free one? Why go holopara or pai when you can go ashwalker or posibrain? It’s at the point where the literal fucking respawn of the research station ruin is never used.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #463905

just ban the bad players lmao, it's not like there's infinite players, unless you unban them from ghostroles they will pull this shit off once and that's it
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #463906

confused rock wrote:Onr player “provoking” golems doesn’t give them a free pass to commit a mass shooting. That’s like if we let scientists maxcap cargo if they never get mats. 10 times.
Full on respawn ghost roles spoil people - why would you ever pick a scientist’s slave golem when you can be a free one? Why go holopara or pai when you can go ashwalker or posibrain? It’s at the point where the literal fucking respawn of the research station ruin is never used.
In the case described that one player was the captain, who has the authority to order shit like a war. That wasnt just some rando assistant or miner causing problems, it was the leader of the station.
CrazyClown12
Byond Username: CrazyClown12

Post by CrazyClown12 » #463910

[quote="Dr_bee"]
In the case described that one player was the captain, who has the authority to order shit like a war. That wasnt just some rando assistant or miner causing problems, it was the leader of the station.

They should be held responsible for their actions then. One day ban for every death.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #463920

Get real, nobody treats the captain like that. From an rp standpoint, the golems were meta as fuck shitlords who violated most laws of war. From a non rp standpoint, you can't shit on the station like that for what the captain did. The golems just looked for an excuse for epic frags.
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #463927

confused rock wrote:That’s like if we let scientists maxcap cargo if they never get mats. 10 times.
No, it's more like if a traitor bombed the station so the captain declared war on scientists and had them all being killed in the halls on sight, to which a scientist maxcapped the station. Which would be completely valid.
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #463933

The round in question sounds to be a case of captain/crew outright screaming for blood on coms like idiots rather than just meeting up somewhere and discussing taking a posse over to kill all the golems in person.

Golems could be removed but doing things this stupid would still get you beaten black and blue you imbeciles.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #463954

teepeepee wrote:just ban the bad players lmao, it's not like there's infinite players, unless you unban them from ghostroles they will pull this shit off once and that's it
Shit argument. Basically there is an infinite amount of players if you’re on bagil. Plus, its often too eventful for admins to ban everyone at fault. The fact that this shit continually happens is proof of it.
[this space reserved]
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #463955

No, it's more lik- why am I even arguing with fucking obscolene
unless its rev rounds and four of the heads are dead, you don't go around killing random innocents in retaliation for what one guy said. and then respawning and doing it over and over.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #463957

wesoda25 wrote:
teepeepee wrote:just ban the bad players lmao, it's not like there's infinite players, unless you unban them from ghostroles they will pull this shit off once and that's it
Shit argument. Basically there is an infinite amount of players if you’re on bagil. Plus, its often too eventful for admins to ban everyone at fault. The fact that this shit continually happens is proof of it.
>there is an infinite amount of players
if there was bagil would have 500+ players right now
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #463961

somerandomguy wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:
It’s almost as if tg is a popular server, bagil is tgs most popular, and ss13 pulls players at a steady rate. Meaning it won’t be a problem everyday, but it sure as hell will be a continuous one.
[this space reserved]
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #463977

wesoda25 wrote:
somerandomguy wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:
It’s almost as if tg is a popular server, bagil is tgs most popular, and ss13 pulls players at a steady rate. Meaning it won’t be a problem everyday, but it sure as hell will be a continuous one.
"Why have rules at all new shitters will arrive consistently"
Zarniwoop
Byond Username: Dagum

Post by Zarniwoop » #463978

The game would be more fun if I always won. Can we please remove anything that might make me lose? I’m not very robust.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #463981

Zarniwoop wrote:The game would be more fun if I always won. Can we please remove anything that might make me lose? I’m not very robust.
*gets nonantag murderboned and ahelps*
"lol just git gud*
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #463986

Why isn't this titled remove ghost roles.

As if you remove one. They'll just grief with the next.

(ALSO ASH-LIZARDS ARE LITERALLY FREE ANTAG SPAWNS. IF THEY GET TO THE STATION. THEY GET FREE REIGN TO BE A 0 TC TRAITOR)
► Show Spoiler
Floiven
Byond Username: Brak7000

Post by Floiven » #463993

Just ban people from ghost roles after a warning or two. Don't remove more things like drones because some people couldn't handle their basic premise of the bonus chances they've been given to participate in the round in some way.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #464079

wesoda25 wrote:
no, it's just proof those players weren't banned yet, they are not infinite, once the jokers get banned and the fad goes away we will only have good golem players or none at all, sure, one, two, maybe 100 rounds get derailed, but that's a very low price to pay for removing dumb people from ghostroles. Just don't unban them later lmao
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #464088

Floiven wrote:Just ban people from ghost roles after a warning or two. Don't remove more things like drones because some people couldn't handle their basic premise of the bonus chances they've been given to participate in the round in some way.
If they BoH bomb with terrible reason they should be looking at a ban per person they killed instead of having to do the two warning tango.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #464090

I always disliked Ash lizards being free antags convince me otherwise
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #464108

Rustledjimm wrote:I always disliked Ash lizards being free antags convince me otherwise
They're the only good lavaland ghost role besides the prisoners and syndie base (RIP lavaland prisoners). Creating interesting conflicts should be the point of them.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #464112

BeeSting12 wrote:
Rustledjimm wrote:I always disliked Ash lizards being free antags convince me otherwise
They're the only good lavaland ghost role besides the prisoners and syndie base (RIP lavaland prisoners). Creating interesting conflicts should be the point of them.
at least the ones that are antag from the start have an excuse to beeline the station and attack it as opposed to "I literally began my existence and yet I magically know we are at war with the station and my purpose is to bomb it"
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #464113

Ash Walkers are fine because they create fun, interesting skirmishes that can be drawn out or ended instantly. I’ve seen plenty of fun ash lizards scenarios play out, such as them taking cargo, seceding, and the station sending lizard diplomats. Or the station stealing eggs and making a zoo. And theres nothing better than going to the mining station while armed to the teeth and mowing down lizard after lizard.

The difference is that Golems are completely stacked with gear, and often come with the mentality of hoping to get attacked. Its amazing because nearly all of them act as a hivemind, just waiting for an assistant to kill one of their own so they can declare war.

The unifying problem between the two is respawn abuse.
[this space reserved]
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #464115

wesoda25 wrote: The unifying problem between the two is respawn abuse.
On the one hand a cooldown on ghostroles would help mitigate this (like you wouldn't throw yourself away so casually if you had to wait five minutes after death before you could spawn another one) but on the other hand that idea feels too much like punishing everyone for the actions of one particular group of metagaming shitters
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #464121

Screemonster wrote:
wesoda25 wrote: The unifying problem between the two is respawn abuse.
On the one hand a cooldown on ghostroles would help mitigate this (like you wouldn't throw yourself away so casually if you had to wait five minutes after death before you could spawn another one) but on the other hand that idea feels too much like punishing everyone for the actions of one particular group of metagaming shitters
I mean I feel as if you should only get to spawn in as a certain type of ghost role once. It doesn’t really punish anyone, just betters the station. Meaning, you die as golem, you can still spawn as ash ligger or stranded vet. If players still meta knowledge/grudge I think it’d be a lot easier to identify and ban them.

Dunno if we’d apply this to roles such as swarmers, but I feel if it was implemented most of the golem issues would go away, and good players would still get to enjoy the role. It’ll also encourage them to stay on lavaland.
[this space reserved]
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #464152

D&B wrote:Why keep around a RND tutorial ghost role when RND doesn't need a tutorial anymore?
Funny thing is they just use the "RND Tutorial" to second life with newfound powers
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #464153

Why not just ban FreeGolems who abuse the role that isn't meant to be openely antagonistic? Same for golems going against the directives of the scienctist who created them. Obviously if the scientist is antagonist, well then we can see removing them if it becomes something where every round is impacted by it.

It's like we're just in a state where someone or somegroup does bad thing we just go knee-jerk to want to remove the thing. Until the next time another thing is abused and we remove it.
Freedom
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #464157

a good example is the round that prompted the re-ignition of the free golem argument. one person (a clown) boh bombs the brig for no reason (he got banned), the captain assumes the free golems did it and declares war on them, the free golems respond with the nuclear option, at the end of the day the station is totally fucked and the emergency shuttle is fucked too. this is 100% allowed by the rules as it is the station declaring war on the golems and getting """"""what they deserve"""""".

now, is this actually fun for the majority of players, most of whom were innocent bystanders? no, it is not. is there any risk involved for the free golems? no, there isn't, it's a low investment ghost role that can create more respawns for itself.

you can say situations like this are rare but the important thing to note is that you can't just say "well ban the shitters!" free golems in their current state are heavily prone to getting into these sort of circumstances, outside of this single example. thus, either their rules should be changed, their flavor text should be changed, or they should be otherwise mechanically limited from getting into things like this constantly.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #464165

subject217 wrote:a good example is the round that prompted the re-ignition of the free golem argument. one person (a clown) boh bombs the brig for no reason (he got banned), the captain assumes the free golems did it and declares war on them, the free golems respond with the nuclear option, at the end of the day the station is totally fucked and the emergency shuttle is fucked too. this is 100% allowed by the rules as it is the station declaring war on the golems and getting """"""what they deserve"""""".

now, is this actually fun for the majority of players, most of whom were innocent bystanders? no, it is not. is there any risk involved for the free golems? no, there isn't, it's a low investment ghost role that can create more respawns for itself.

you can say situations like this are rare but the important thing to note is that you can't just say "well ban the shitters!" free golems in their current state are heavily prone to getting into these sort of circumstances, outside of this single example. thus, either their rules should be changed, their flavor text should be changed, or they should be otherwise mechanically limited from getting into things like this constantly.
easy fix just make them not be able to remember their past life
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #464169

somerandomguy wrote:
subject217 wrote:a good example is the round that prompted the re-ignition of the free golem argument. one person (a clown) boh bombs the brig for no reason (he got banned), the captain assumes the free golems did it and declares war on them, the free golems respond with the nuclear option, at the end of the day the station is totally fucked and the emergency shuttle is fucked too. this is 100% allowed by the rules as it is the station declaring war on the golems and getting """"""what they deserve"""""".

easy fix just make them not be able to remember their past life
Die then respawn

"Hey what are we doing"

"Attacking the station"

with groups of people like this its stupidly easy to circumvent not having that knowledge
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #464201

this is talking about people wordlessly respawning and bombing without asking or being told that they're at war aka literal metagaming
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #464210

somerandomguy wrote:this is talking about people wordlessly respawning and bombing without asking or being told that they're at war aka literal metagaming
Ok but what do you have against the idea of only being able to spawn in as a certain ghost role once? Like is there any logical argument?

And golems telling each other about the war and the freshly respawned golems instantly grabbing two boh bags and then repeating the process is just as bad. Its as if you arrive as a scientist and the robocist tells you to kill all of sec and command and you do it. Shitty fucking logic. Shitty fucking players.
[this space reserved]
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #464212

wesoda25 wrote:
somerandomguy wrote:this is talking about people wordlessly respawning and bombing without asking or being told that they're at war aka literal metagaming
Ok but what do you have against the idea of only being able to spawn in as a certain ghost role once? Like is there any logical argument?

And golems telling each other about the war and the freshly respawned golems instantly grabbing two boh bags and then repeating the process is just as bad. Its as if you arrive as a scientist and the robocist tells you to kill all of sec and command and you do it. Shitty fucking logic. Shitty fucking players.

More like if you just arrived and the Roboticist tells you that cultists were murderboning and no longer taking converts
► Show Spoiler
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #464224

idea 1: give golems just the cargo lathe (only mining stuff)
idea 2: give golems cargo lathe and omni printer (still no good parts so tier 1 combat mechs)
idea 3: give them snowflake list of things they can print (no teles, combat mechas, bohs)
idea 4: rely on players goodwill and admins doing their jobs
idea 5: remove golems
idea 6: respawn cooldowns of ghost roles
charmisokay
Byond Username: Charmisokay

Post by charmisokay » #464227

1-3 seems like a a simple solution.

Ash walkers are fun because they storm the station with spears and bones. Every crewmember could realistically fight back against ash walkers.
Golems are not fun because they destroy the station with teleport + boh or loaded mechs. You sort of need to teleport down to the golems and destroy them before they destroy you otherwise it'll never end and every human that dies might not return whereas creating new golems is pretty easy.

We could add a random mech spawn or teleporter room to the list of lavaland locations if we still want the same sort of thing to potentially happen. (if anybody wanna bother making it, that is).