Paradox Grand Strat meets Sci-Fi 4X; Boners Explode

Talk about video games here
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: Paradox Grand Strat meets Sci-Fi 4X; Boners Explode

Post by Ikarrus » #463568

Bottom post of the previous page:

They have this weird thing where species population will always grow toward an equilibrium of diversity

So if you have a planet nearly full of your native species and get one immigrant, your native species will go into decline because the game always works toward a 1:1 ratio between all species, even if the immigrant has low habitability.

I wonder if you can intentionally create a shitty species just to infect xenophile empires with.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #463605

Ikarrus wrote:They have this weird thing where species population will always grow toward an equilibrium of diversity

So if you have a planet nearly full of your native species and get one immigrant, your native species will go into decline because the game always works toward a 1:1 ratio between all species, even if the immigrant has low habitability.

I wonder if you can intentionally create a shitty species just to infect xenophile empires with.
The real question here is how does one immigrant reproduce
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #463606

a pop is not one guy it's an undefined unit of population

also system heavily prioritises growing nomadic pops so cancer pops can sorta work.

Happens to everyone though even enslaving xenophobes so make sure to keep your finger on the population controls if you got em.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #463621

Ikarrus wrote:They have this weird thing where species population will always grow toward an equilibrium of diversity

It's a shame repugnant species don't make other pops on the planet unhappy anymore.
The Blorg will rise again
► Show Spoiler
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #463726

Not only can you, but this has seen successful use in multiplayer games. Make your shitty species fast-breeding and militarist-xenophobe so they will eclipse the native population before deciding that the filthy xenophile peacelover empire needs a good revolt.
If you go genetics/biological ascension, you can make an even shittier species on a small planet (or from an uplift, or a small chunk of population you dont care about) and then purge them from your own empire to displace them so all refugee-taking empires take a few

It will take a long time to work, but if you're playing the long game anyway it is as reasonable of an investment as any. And if you want to be a militarist xenophobe anyway, you can make it your species
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #463751

Bugs and Swedish stances on migration aside, I'm really liking the new update. You actually have to pay attention to your economy now and be careful when expanding into new industries or taking lots off territory at once.

I like how pirates are now associated with trade and no longer just an RNG annoyance.

I just opened the Galactic Market and I'm buying the fug out of everything and it's fun.

I just wish the planet interface wasn't so tiny and awful to interact with
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #463790

Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #463802

Ehh helps a little bit. My problem was that information is hard to read than needing to scroll lots.

New game director said he wants to work on the planet interface after christmas break so I have that to look forward to
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #463806

I found Job descriptions to be a huge boon, as well as the 1080p, though this might be a better planet view mod.

edit: copypasta fuck ups.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #464065

>AI doesn't know how to repair ruined buildings

I guess this version is still unplayable after all
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #464101

Ikarrus wrote:>AI doesn't know how to repair ruined buildings

I guess this version is still unplayable after all
I'm going to try out this mod to see if it makes the AI functional. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Update: So I actually lost a war on Captain difficulty. I'd say that's a marked improvement.
► Show Spoiler
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #464243

Even the beta version doesn't fix the AI being stupid, it's not worth playing right now, even in MP.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #464343

I'll have to try that AI mod next. The AI feels even dumber than it used to.

I don't know if it's the same as a non-corporate empire, but very quickly the "rare" resources feel almost too cheap. I just keep importing them no problem and keep all my buildings max level and still rolling in cash

It's also fun naming planets as corporate divisions eg "Stellaris Defense Solutions" and have it shit out soldiers and Very Strong armies
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
XSI
Byond Username: XSI

Post by XSI » #464349

Might have something to do with how you can just make the rare resources on your planets
Which of course means that they'll never be truly expensive, or rare. Just a manufactured resource you can make along with consumer goods and alloys
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #464365

It feels like a tier between the manufacturable "rares" and the actually rare resources like zro of a not so rare but only naturally available rare space resource is missing.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #464434

I don’t mind the current state of rare resources at the moment. You need to hold a lot of territory and mining stations to support rare resource refineries. It’s more of a concern for tall empires, as paying for monthly minerals can really add up in terms of energy credit costs.
► Show Spoiler
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #464446

In my current game market they're the same price as alloys are (~18.00C), only you need a lot fewer of them

When you have an economy like this it's peanuts
20181224135858_1.jpg
20181224135858_1.jpg (41.88 KiB) Viewed 10074 times
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #464459

Not every empire makes 975 credits from branch offices haha
Do you own the galactic market centre as well?
► Show Spoiler
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #464479

Yeah Market Fee of 5%
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #464499

Ikarrus wrote:Yeah Market Fee of 5%
Holy cow
► Show Spoiler
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #464505

That feel when the AI is functional and your ally helps you win a losing battle before you team up and take a tough starbase together
functionalAI.jpg
► Show Spoiler
Ricotez
Byond Username: Ricotez

Post by Ricotez » #465990

every now and then a virtual neuron will fire and the AI actually contributes
MimicFaux wrote:I remember my first time, full of wonderment and excitement playing this game I had heard so many stories about.
on the arrival shuttle, I saw the iconic toolbox on the ground. I clubbed myself in the head with it trying to figure out the controls.
Setting the tool box, now bloodied, back on the table; I went to heal myself with a medkit. I clubbed myself in the head with that too.
I've come a long ways from asking how to switch hands.
Spoiler:
#coderbus wrote:<MrPerson> How many coders does it take to make a lightbulb? Three, one to make it, one to pull the pull request, and one to fix the bugs
Kor wrote:The lifeweb playerbase is primarily old server 2 players so technically its our cancer that invaded them
peoplearestrange wrote:Scared of shadows whispers in their final breath, "/tg/station... goes on the tabl..."
DemonFiren wrote:Please, an Engineer's first response to a problem is "throw it into the singulo".
tedward1337 wrote:Donald Trump is literally what /pol/ would look like as a person
CrunchyCHEEZIT wrote:why does everything on this server have to be a federal fucking issue.
Saegrimr wrote:One guy was running around popping hand tele portals down in the halls before OPs even showed up and got several stranded out on lavaland.
The HoP just toolboxes someone to death out of nowhere, then gets speared by a chemist who saw him murder a guy, then the chemist gets beaten to death because someone else saw him kill the HoP.
Tele-man somehow dies and gets its looted by an atmos tech who managed to use it to send two nuke ops to lavaland, who were then surrounded by several very angry people from earlier and some extra golems on top of it.
Captain dies, gets cloned/revived, lasers the guy holding the disk into crit to take it back.
Some idiot tries to welderbomb the AI hiding out at mining for no discernible reason.
Two permabans and a dayban, i'm expecting a snarky appeal from one of them soon. What the fuck.
ShadowDimentio wrote:I am the problem
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #466015

Farquaar wrote:That feel when the AI is functional and your ally helps you win a losing battle before you team up and take a tough starbase together
functionalAI.jpg
ai mod?
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #466174

TheWiznard wrote:
Farquaar wrote:That feel when the AI is functional and your ally helps you win a losing battle before you team up and take a tough starbase together
functionalAI.jpg
ai mod?
Yeah, it's Glavius's Ultimate AI. It's not flawless, but it restores AI functionality at the very least. You're not likely to see complex fleet coordination strategies, but at least the computer will know when to attack and where to defend. Sometimes your allies will follow your fleets when there's a tough mutual enemy that neither of you can take out on your own.

It also helps the AI handle economy, which adds a bit of spice to the game.
► Show Spoiler
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #466276

its amazing that the ai doesnt work without mods this long after release

just burn it down, stellaris 2 when?
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #466281

leibniz wrote:its amazing that the ai doesnt work without mods this long after release

working AI is going to come soon
as DLC
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #466432

DemonFiren wrote:
leibniz wrote:its amazing that the ai doesnt work without mods this long after release

working AI is going to come soon
as DLC
actual ai
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #466445

I want to get this game but I also don't want to pirate it or spend over 60 ameribux help
TheWiznard
Github User

Post by TheWiznard » #466450

Deitus wrote:I want to get this game but I also don't want to pirate it or spend over 60 ameribux help

now while its on sale is the best time to get it, before jan 3.

if you're not sure you're even gonna like it just skip megacorp for now and with above is still 46$. I'd say buy the base game now and try a game or two. I'm pretty sure you can also just get the dlc through other means and it works, at least for single player games, I did it.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #587343

They added a dlc for undead races and theres no purple flaming skeletons sigh
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #587349

Super Aggro Crag wrote:They added a dlc for undead races and theres no purple flaming skeletons sigh
[youtube]9nZWMEF6zR4[/youtube]
► Show Spoiler
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #587385

Yes but now you can play as goa'uld
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #587478

Feeling pretty done with this game since about two years ago

I've been playing Stellaris on and off since launch and it perpetually gives me the feeling of "This game is so close to approaching greatness, it just needs a little bit more..." but never really satisfies me. It's a game full of promise but patch after patch the game always sounds better on paper than it does actually playing it.

The crazy amount of overhauls they've made to the game is admirable, but probably contributes a lot to the above feeling, as much of their development nowadays is just to clean up all the technical debt that was left behind after each time they've ripped all the guts out, instead of the refinement and polish the game really needs.

Stellaris is a game with a lot of (too much?) ambition. It's not a bad game, I'm not doubting that. It's just a massive tease about it.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #587492

Ikarrus wrote:Feeling pretty done with this game since about two years ago

I've been playing Stellaris on and off since launch and it perpetually gives me the feeling of "This game is so close to approaching greatness, it just needs a little bit more..." but never really satisfies me. It's a game full of promise but patch after patch the game always sounds better on paper than it does actually playing it.

The crazy amount of overhauls they've made to the game is admirable, but probably contributes a lot to the above feeling, as much of their development nowadays is just to clean up all the technical debt that was left behind after each time they've ripped all the guts out, instead of the refinement and polish the game really needs.

Stellaris is a game with a lot of (too much?) ambition. It's not a bad game, I'm not doubting that. It's just a massive tease about it.
I get that feeling especially early game, early game feels so great but the longer you play the more you drudge on and it all slows down.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-