new quirk brainstorming

A place to record your ideas for the game.
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

new quirk brainstorming

Post by imsxz » #464423

quirks unironically interest me more than most stuff and I’d be willing to code some shit for it if I see some neat ideas so I’ll start with a simpler suggestion to get the conversation rolling: negative quirk, random phobia roundstart. There was a spider phobia quirk when they first came out but everyone just spammed SPIDER in common until it was removed but this wouldn’t be an issue with random phobias.

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: new quirk brainstorming

Post by wesoda25 » #464456

Hearing Loss (or the scientific name dunno what it is)
So for the first 5-10 minutes, your hearing is intact but you get flavor text such as “Your ears ring” “You hear a faint whining noise” “Your ears painfully pop” etc etc.
Upon entering the second stage, parts of phrases you hear start to be omitted, in the form of asterisks (like hearing someone whisper if they aren’t next to you). Maybe people with loud volume/megaphones can still be heard?
Upon entering stage 3, you can only hear people who shout, and parts of their words are omitted. Normal speech is inaudible.
Finally, at stage 4, you cannot hear anything.

It’d be cool if we added items alongside it such as hearing aids and cochlear implants. The former curing the first 3 stages and latter only the forth.

Yeah its not exactly scientific but who cares. Though I dunno how difficult it’ll be to code.
[this space reserved]
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #464460

wesoda25 wrote:Hearing Loss (or the scientific name dunno what it is)
So for the first 5-10 minutes, your hearing is intact but you get flavor text such as “Your ears ring” “You hear a faint whining noise” “Your ears painfully pop” etc etc.
Upon entering the second stage, parts of phrases you hear start to be omitted, in the form of asterisks (like hearing someone whisper if they aren’t next to you). Maybe people with loud volume/megaphones can still be heard?
Upon entering stage 3, you can only hear people who shout, and parts of their words are omitted. Normal speech is inaudible.

It’d be cool if we added items alongside it such as hearing aids and cochlear implants. The former curing the first 3 stages and latter only the forth.

Yeah its not exactly scientific but who cares. Though I dunno how difficult it’ll be to code.
I think if this just started at stage 2 and stayed that way it would be a good +2 trait. Progressive deterioration is more fit for something like a random event that damages your ear organs
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #464473

PKPenguin321 wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:Hearing Loss (or the scientific name dunno what it is)

I think if this just started at stage 2 and stayed that way it would be a good +2 trait. Progressive deterioration is more fit for something like a random event that damages your ear organs
That’d work. At the end of the day its up to the coder I guess.
[this space reserved]
Floiven
Byond Username: Brak7000

Post by Floiven » #464501

I'm surprised fear of clowns isn't one of the phobias already.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #464520

Floiven wrote:I'm surprised fear of clowns isn't one of the phobias already.
It is. I know this because clown nuke turns everyone into clowns and then gives them a phobia of clowns. Meaning you end up blacking out because you can’t escape it.
[this space reserved]
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #464566

thing with phobias is if its a trait then someone will ctrl v every phobia trigger word every round
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #464584

Then you can beat them up, instead of letting assistants rule your life.
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #464586

hard when they can global radio stun you 1 z level away
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #464600

Hippocampal fragility
A congenital defect in your brain interferes with brain scans, making you cloneable.
► Show Spoiler
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #464601

Farquaar wrote:Hippocampal fragility
A congenital defect in your brain interferes with brain scans, making you cloneable.
dont you mean uncloneable
and we already have that
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #464608

Do we?
Eh, I didn’t check the list before writing that
► Show Spoiler
Kierany9
Byond Username: Kierany9

Post by Kierany9 » #464717

Repressed Trauma (+2)
You've witnessed some horrifying crimes committed by the Syndicate, and you try your hardest to forget what you saw. Any reminder of those events will send you spiralling into a panic!

This could be a fun one, where you get terrified by seeing red hardsuits, eswords and ebows (toy variants included), syndieborgs and excess bloodshed(so it's not a free +2 on anything not named traitor or ops). Perhaps examining less recognizable items such as the .357 revolver and the black toolbox could instil a lesser panic.

Wealthy (-2)
You're loaded! Whether inherited, stolen or earned, you've got dosh to spare! Can't be taken with Under Audit.
Under Audit (+1)
The Interstellar Revenue Service has frozen your assets for suspected tax fraud. While under investigation you won't be able to earn income. Can't be taken with Wealthy.

Start with 15k-50k credits, and do not make income respectively. Surprised nobody has added an economy quirk, they're both subsystems that you can enjoy the game without ever interacting with or being affected by :^)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #464956

on the topic of economy quirks,

Greedy: You get a mood (de)buff that scales with the amount of money on your ID, with more money giving a better mood.
Noble Ascetic: You get a mood (de)buff that scales with the amount of money on your ID, with less money giving a better mood.
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #464964

It'd be odd to code but the idea that you can have a character that is 'deaf' in one ear only. So you could state your character is deaf in your left ear, so you cannot hear anything on the left side of where your character is facing.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #464967

Steelpoint wrote:It'd be odd to code but the idea that you can have a character that is 'deaf' in one ear only. So you could state your character is deaf in your left ear, so you cannot hear anything on the left side of where your character is facing.
It would probably be easier and less janky to just lower your range of hearing, considering there's no penalty or cooldown on turning.
Spoiler:
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #464993

species confusion:
see yourself as a lizard if human and also hiss
see yourself as a human if lizard
etc etc
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #465013

What's the deal with "no positive quirks that effect combat" and stuff? If we can't risk quirks being major enough to affect gameplay, they shouldn't exist at all.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #465119

confused rock wrote:What's the deal with "no positive quirks that effect combat" and stuff? If we can't risk quirks being major enough to affect gameplay, they shouldn't exist at all.
Not true. But all our current quirks do affect gameplay.
[this space reserved]
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #465122

confused rock wrote:What's the deal with "no positive quirks that effect combat" and stuff? If we can't risk quirks being major enough to affect gameplay, they shouldn't exist at all.
The attitude that "combat" and "gameplay" are the same is what makes it a bad idea to add quirks that buff your combat ability.
confused rock

Post by confused rock » #465238

Replace the word gameplay with combat in my post then and then actually answer my argument.
"you climb tables slightly faster" being a two pointer is still so insignificant that it might as well not exist.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #465250

confused rock wrote:Replace the word gameplay with combat in my post then and then actually answer my argument.
It's not really an argument you're just stating an opinion without substantiating it

There's enough features that have the sole purpose of getting you the greentext and making people horizontal, we dont need more, quirks are for adding flavor and variety
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #465351

-1 backpacker: special backpack with like +1 slot and starts with some rng maint loot
-1 bee friend: starts with a queen bee pet and a bee costume
+2 escaped convict: starts set to arrest with a random sec note
+2 syndicate target: higher chance of being an antag target
-1 bookworm: starts with a book beacon (you insert the book number in it and it spawns whatever its associated with), also better mood buff from reading books
+1 junkie: starts with a random addiction and a pill bottle of the drug
-2 sentient pet : either a corgi or a parrot or whatever, spawns in one of those portable cages, when u inhand activate it pulls a ghost in it
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #465356

I think a significant percentage of the population would PAY to be more likely to be an antag target.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Devily
Byond Username: Redusk

Post by Devily » #467911

For combat

Boxer: You deal more unharmed damage but deal less damage with weapons
Pretty Face: Higher chance to get hit in the chest/arms than your face
Changeling Fanboy: When using the deathgasp emote, your corpse actually looks dead on a description, you also take almost no time to get up from resting (no effect on stuns/slips/etc)
Greytide: You deal more damage with improvised weapons and can use them with better efficiency (toolboxes, welders, stunprods) but you're almost incapable of using real weapons (cleavers, revolvers, stun batons, tasers) [This could even go with the complete inability to use real weapons and instead of damage it could be improving the hit chance to hit a specific bodypart]
Robust: When fat you receive the same defense as a security jumpsuit
Skald: When wielding an instrument you can tag people while helping. When you play a song, the tagged people are hasted, recover from stun and knockout faster while regenerating stamina as well. You cannot tag yourself but you deal more damage with instruments (same as toolbox)

For other stuff

V.I.P. Pass: You get a pass (ID) that allows you access to a random (or selected) department of low impact such as Kitchen, Botany, Janitor's Closet, Cargo, Medbay etc. [This could actually be useful for Assistants who want to Assist without having the responsibility of actually picking a job, could be unbalanced however]
Midas: You get a free pair of insulated gloves
Cutpurse: When you pickpocket someone and you have a freehand the item doesn't drop to the ground but appears directly in your hand
Weak Arm: When throwing objects you will throw them closer to you and occasionally directly in front of you
Cardboard Master: You can make a replica of any suit/helmet by using cardboard sheets. They have no effect other than cosmetic and you can even replicate costumes (xeno, monkey, etc).
Smoker: You are addicted to nicotine. You start the round with a packet of cigarettes and a lighter.
Alimony: JUST. You start the game with no money and only gain 10% of all your earnings with your account. You also start the round with a terrible hairstyle.
Gremlin: You often forget how to use machinery and occasionally things you touch will end up electrified when possible.
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #467982

Saddlebags: cannot equip backpacks but can put normal (large?) items in pockets
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #468060

Devily wrote:For combat

Boxer: You deal more unharmed damage but deal less damage with weapons
Pretty Face: Higher chance to get hit in the chest/arms than your face
Changeling Fanboy: When using the deathgasp emote, your corpse actually looks dead on a description, you also take almost no time to get up from resting (no effect on stuns/slips/etc)
Greytide: You deal more damage with improvised weapons and can use them with better efficiency (toolboxes, welders, stunprods) but you're almost incapable of using real weapons (cleavers, revolvers, stun batons, tasers) [This could even go with the complete inability to use real weapons and instead of damage it could be improving the hit chance to hit a specific bodypart]
Robust: When fat you receive the same defense as a security jumpsuit
Skald: When wielding an instrument you can tag people while helping. When you play a song, the tagged people are hasted, recover from stun and knockout faster while regenerating stamina as well. You cannot tag yourself but you deal more damage with instruments (same as toolbox)

For other stuff

V.I.P. Pass: You get a pass (ID) that allows you access to a random (or selected) department of low impact such as Kitchen, Botany, Janitor's Closet, Cargo, Medbay etc. [This could actually be useful for Assistants who want to Assist without having the responsibility of actually picking a job, could be unbalanced however]
Midas: You get a free pair of insulated gloves
Cutpurse: When you pickpocket someone and you have a freehand the item doesn't drop to the ground but appears directly in your hand
Weak Arm: When throwing objects you will throw them closer to you and occasionally directly in front of you
Cardboard Master: You can make a replica of any suit/helmet by using cardboard sheets. They have no effect other than cosmetic and you can even replicate costumes (xeno, monkey, etc).
Smoker: You are addicted to nicotine. You start the round with a packet of cigarettes and a lighter.
Alimony: JUST. You start the game with no money and only gain 10% of all your earnings with your account. You also start the round with a terrible hairstyle.
Gremlin: You often forget how to use machinery and occasionally things you touch will end up electrified when possible.
A lot of these are immediately off of the table since they affect combat so directly, but alimony made me laugh
Spoiler:
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #468084

Random addictions.

Alcoholic (might need to code an addiction for ethanol), or druggie. You start with a limited supply of said substance, with withdrawals hitting super hard (boosted than normal). Addiction can’t be broke, adds more worth to chemistry and bartender roles.

Substances can be stuff like space drugs, mind breaker toxin, etc. Maybe have stuff like meth be a possibility, but a low one.

Although the possible self antagging to satisfy an addiction worries me, but hey roleplay amiright.
[this space reserved]
DrunkenMatey
Byond Username: DrunkenMatey

Post by DrunkenMatey » #468085

With phobia ones, is it possible to make them not be triggered by keywords in speech? That would remove the z-level stuns and instead only effect people when they actually see whatever it is that terrifies them.

+1 Weak Heart: X% chance of having a heart attack if stunned which puts you into crit.
0 Fast Metabolism: Acts like having charcoal (or maybe a less potent version) in your blood so chems (good and bad) wear off faster, also burn fat off faster and get hungry more often.
0 Slow Metabolism: Opposite of above. (this one might actually be powerful since good chemicals are usually more prevalent than bad, though people could fuck you up real bad if they know you have it.
0 Crawler: Crawl faster, but run slower
+1 Food Snob: Cannot willingly eat anything from a vending machine, vomits if force fed.
-1 Deep breaths: Can hold your breath longer than an average person (could function as A: prevents oxyloss damage from triggering as quickly, or B: Can click a button to hold breath for X seconds or something which prevents inhaling anything bad or having oxyloss for those X seconds)