Minor Medical feedback and changes.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Minor Medical feedback and changes.

Post by Dr_bee » #465895

In playing medbay and fucking around with the surgery system creating horrible monstrosities against nature I noticed a few changes that would make playing medical a bit more fun. I am hoping that these changes arent too hard to make.

Make The Revival Surgery Standard
The revival surgery is part of the high tier experimental surgery tech node. Revival surgery is however completely fucking useless in comparison to cloning. Revival surgery requires a doctors full attention and must be done on a corpse that is in the defib damage range. It also doesnt fix problems such as missing limbs or blood loss and leaves the patient/victim with a minor brain trauma.

Compare this to cloning, which can be done on any body, including husked bodies if upgraded, doesnt require direct doctor intervention, and can be done on multiple people at the same time with minor work creating multiple pods.

Revival surgery does have one niche use and that is on people with implants. Typically it it easier to revive surgery someone with augs or implants than it is to clone them and have them lose the augs. But experimental surgery is uncommonly researched due to round length. Making revival surgery standard can give adventurous doctors a bit more freedom in how they choose to revive a patient.

Increase The Defib Window
Kind of a no brainer. Defib is already limited by corpse damage, and the 2 minute window is not enough time to do anything to fix that like replacing limbs or augmenting seriously damaged areas. You cant 6 million dollar man a person and then defib them due to this short window.

Increasing the default defib time limit has been suggested before. 10 minutes is floated around, however this is a very long time, and removes some of the excitement of having to rush to try to save the corpse before it is too late. 5 minutes is a good number, it is long, but not too long as to make triage no longer needed. Ways to extend the defib time window would be nice to add as well, Corazone, a useful chem that is rarely used, stops damage from missing organs in living patients. I suggest that it pause or extend the defib window in dead patients. Adding some corazone into the medi-vends would be handy for medical in general, even as a paid exclusive item is a good idea just for its organ failure fighting properties.

Make Cybernetic Hearts Not Absolute Dogshit
Current cybernetic hearts are basically normal hearts with a minor bonus of injecting you with epinephrine when you go into crit once for regular hearts and once every 10 minutes for the upgraded versions. This sounds great until you look at the code and see that a single EMP causes and instant heart stop. This is a very harsh EMP penalty in comparison to the other cybernetic organs, which typically just take damage and cause a minor side effect, such as toxin damage for cybernetic livers and oxyloss for cybernetic lungs.

The instant heart failure needs to go for anyone to ever want to use those hearts. toning down the downside by making EMPing a heart cause bloodloss would be a more fair downside. It would still make EMPs a very powerful weapon against anyone with a cybernetic heart but it wouldnt mean instant death.

giving cybernetic hearts an increased defib window would also encourage their use. encouraging cybernetic use is good as it rewards trusting another player with your life. And with the current changes to surgery meaning you dont automatically see what surgery is being done on you this trust should be even more rewarded. It also provides a nice buff to EMPs.

These changes would do wonders to make medical a bit more interesting to play. Without disrupting the more fast paced speed of /tg/'s combat with complex surgery outside of a few cases.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Minor Medical feedback and changes.

Post by wesoda25 » #465931

I think defibb window is fine.

I think base chems in sleepers should be unlimited, but they shouldn’t be able to be upgraded. However, you should be able to add chems to them, to give chemists a little more purpose. Maybe only emagged sleepers can hold non healing chemicals?

I think its sad how few people use strange reagent/synflesh.
[this space reserved]
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #465932

brief history of defib time limits (without actual exact times because i dont remember them):
- defibs are introduced. the time limit is so small that they are practically useless.
- defib times are buffed massively shortly after release. the time limit is so big that death is a joke unless you happen to be over the damage limit. killers complained when their victims were back up within seconds, victims who wanted death to mean something complained, doctors complained that their job was too easy.
- defib is nerfed to current state. relatively no controversy, they're in the best place they've ever been.

i don't think we should change defib times right now. the other two points sound cool though
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #465934

The secret ingredient separating the master from the apprentice is realizing there are ways to heal damage on people that are dead, that can bring them back into defib range.
RandolfTheMeh
Byond Username: RandolfTheMeh

Post by RandolfTheMeh » #465936

Gonna agree with PKP here. Revival surgery felt like the doctor's equivalent of strange reagent. However, whereas strange reagent took a small amount of effort from a chemist to acquire some holy water (they typically just grind down hot donk pockets for omni), and yielded an enormous supply of S.R. patches, revival is a tedious process both in acquiring and in performing. The fact that there are so many competing, cheaper nodes, means experimental surgery usually gets researched an hour into the round. Only exceptions I've managed were when I beg for advanced, do 10+ dissections, and ask for the points to be used in part to get experimental. This typically takes a total of twenty minutes, which is half the round on Bagil usually. Just let it be a round start thing, having to go through the tedious process of acquiring it only to spend more time than cloning would in order to revive an individual with a new brain damage due to the nature of the surgery is somewhat insulting.
As for cybernetic hearts, I completely agree. Once EMPed, they are damaged permanently, meaning no amount of effort on your part will fix it unless you replace it. It was frustrating hearing that it would induce a heart attack- rather ridiculous to learn that it would not ever start beating again, after testing it.
Defib time frame sits at a nice spot, given its rather lax requirements on the damage needed (S.R. and revival both need the patient to be below 100 brute/burn damage, whereas defibing is 180).
Aside from everything mentioned, reconstruction surgery is usually used in conjunction with revival, so unless you have a competent chemist, you still won't be using revival all that often.
Rarely posts
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #465942

RandolfTheMeh wrote: Aside from everything mentioned, reconstruction surgery is usually used in conjunction with revival, so unless you have a competent chemist, you still won't be using revival all that often.
Without synthflesh you can still augment the damaged parts to bring them back to 100% health, so you can literally 6 million dollar man someone if your chemists are lazy fucks. Still harder than cloning, but more fun.
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #465955

Why not make defibbing chance based depending on how long the body has been dead for, with a correlating about of brain damage if you revive them after a long time

So up to 2 minutes, you have 100% chance to defib, after that, it drops to 50% and drops a further 10% after each minute after time of death, and each time you FAIL to revive them the chances also go down so you basically get 1-3 attempts before you have to stop

Right now basically doctors look at the time of death and then defib, or just take straight to cloning, the defib might as well stay in the doctors lockers and gather dust really
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #465960

It'd be interesting if there was a soft cap on defibbing where after 2 minutes you can still attempt a defib but you have a increase amount of brain damage incurred to the patient when revived. Only issue with that it's not hard to cure brain damage with a dose of mannitol. Perhaps other scaling costs such as temporary movement slow down or decrease vision range that gets worse the longer you were dead past 2 minutes.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #465962

I'd totally swap cloning for roundstart revival surgery

It's stupid that I had people ask to be killed because it's faster to clone than properly fix whatever problems they have
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.