New coding direction/vision

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Zarniwoop
Byond Username: Dagum

New coding direction/vision

Post by Zarniwoop » #465736

Can we get a break-down on what exactly this new direction the coders want to take the server in is? I keep seeing it being referred to but I haven't seen any details on what it actually is, as a whole.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: New coding direction/vision

Post by PKPenguin321 » #465738

me oranges me merge pr me close other pr unh unh ooga booga *beats chest*
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
JStheguy
Byond Username: JStheguy

Post by JStheguy » #465743

PKPenguin321 wrote:me oranges me merge pr me close other pr unh unh ooga booga *beats chest*
BASED ORANGES totaly WRECKS his detractors!
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #466093

PKPenguin321 wrote:me oranges me merge pr me close other pr unh unh ooga booga *beats chest*
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #466117

Why would a meteor bother telling pea brained dinosaurs it's going to hit?

Players are dead.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #466315

Incomptinence wrote:Why would a meteor bother telling pea brained dinosaurs it's going to hit?

Players are dead.
ABSOLUTE
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #466319

We’re going east
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #466421

Incomptinence wrote:Why would a meteor bother telling pea brained dinosaurs it's going to hit?

Players are dead.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #466429

Tip to OP: If you ask a more specific question, you might get a more specific answer.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #466430

We're all children in the back of the van with oranges at the wheel going wherever he wants to go.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #466454

BeeSting12 wrote:We're all children in the back of the van with oranges at the wheel going wherever he wants to go.
DrunkenMatey
Byond Username: DrunkenMatey

Post by DrunkenMatey » #466456

BeeSting12 wrote:We're all children in the back of the van with oranges at the wheel going wherever he wants to go.
Uncy Oranges, where are you taking us? Are we going to Wendy's? Do we get ice cream?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #466458

DrunkenMatey wrote:
Uncy Oranges, where are you taking us? Are we going to Wendy's? Do we get ice cream?
I don't have a good feeling about this, Matey.
► Show Spoiler
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #466504

McDonald's?
Zarniwoop

Post by Zarniwoop » #466529

MisterPerson wrote:Tip to OP: If you ask a more specific question, you might get a more specific answer.
We all know there will be no straight answer. Just making him make it as clear as possible. Not only does he think the players should shove it, he's above even describing his plans (or lack thereof) to the community in general. Sad if true.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #466537

sometimes the status quo is just something that should be kept
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #466543

From the thread on prescanning/autocloning
oranges wrote: Point: Death should be a meaningful experience

Death has to be a serious event for players, because it leads to an increased sense of tension and criticality in decision making, which makes you feel more involved in the game and should hopefully make you feel more tense in dangerous situations.

Yes, I recognise that there are issues with people dying and having to leave the round for very long periods of time, so we do want to temper this point with options to get back in the round. However, I am of the strong belief that's it better to do this with ghost roles or significant gameplay changes like borging/becoming a pod person. These have significant ongoing gameplay impacts for you that make the death still meaningful, while allowing you to engage in the round again. I'm not convinced that simply losing gear, or your equipment on you is enough of a change to make death a meaningful experience, which was why I was unhappy with the prescanner and autoclone system in it's current form.

In general I believe that the formalisation of cloning from random bug to full game mechanic many eons ago started a bit of a trend towards a trivilisation of death that I would like to reverse in order to increase engagement with your character and their general health and wellbeing.

I'm not sure we're at the stage where a full removal of cloning would be acceptable so in the meantime I'm acting to mollify the worst of the issues by removing it's safety net factor by making it apply only after you're dead and only if your body is available.
► Show Spoiler
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #466571

Do you really think oranges will say what he wants honestly? Man likes his japes.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #466579

Incomp you dumb as fuck, even if you got what you wanted you'd still complain about it cause I guess it detracts from whatever sad pathetic existence you're living right now.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #466585

Also to answer your question OP, I intend to pretty much keep going on the course that we are going on, a large sandbox, with lots of interaction between systems to allow for lots of player flexibility, I only intend to trim around the edges some of the fat, and as mentioned, I have a personal issue with how meaningless death is at the moment.

My personal view is that the game is at it's best when you're forced to make meaningful tradeoffs, so I will always push for limiting peoples options when they make a choice (so it's a meaningful one).

The other issue I see right now is that some departments are effectively redundant due to lack of need (cargo and medbay) so we need to work on those areas to make them more meaningful.

I can't be specific about things because I have no power to actually implement anything short of developing it myself and I'm busy enough with reviewing other peoples PRs to the point where it's laughable to assume I'll manage any significant changes. So when people ask me what I intend to do I don't really understand how to answer that question.

As has always, always been the case, the people who decide the design direction for the game are actually the people who bring ideas to life, and I can't answer on behalf of other random people about what they might choose or choose not to do. I can only give guidance on how I might interpret someone’s change.
Mark9013100
Byond Username: Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #466627

haha can't guarantee he'll finish his goal despite starting with a heavily contested(and still contested) change
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #466637

It's almost like he's not some kind of dictator who tells people what to do, but a volunteer lead/head/manager/etc of an open source community where at the end of the day, action comes from the people who actually code, not the queens up top dictating shit.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #466644

oranges wrote:Incomp you dumb as fuck, even if you got what you wanted you'd still complain about it cause I guess it detracts from whatever sad pathetic existence you're living right now.
bruh we're all memeing here dial it back
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #466654

bman wrote:
oranges wrote:Incomp you dumb as fuck, even if you got what you wanted you'd still complain about it cause I guess it detracts from whatever sad pathetic existence you're living right now.
bruh we're all memeing here dial it back
chat shit, get banged
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #466679

>I can't code big things, the game is still most shaped by the people who actually code it
"doesn't code": the new version of the "doesn't play" meme
DrunkenMatey
Byond Username: DrunkenMatey

Post by DrunkenMatey » #466690

oranges wrote:Also to answer your question OP, I intend to pretty much keep going on the course that we are going on, a large sandbox, with lots of interaction between systems to allow for lots of player flexibility, I only intend to trim around the edges some of the fat, and as mentioned, I have a personal issue with how meaningless death is at the moment.

My personal view is that the game is at it's best when you're forced to make meaningful tradeoffs, so I will always push for limiting peoples options when they make a choice (so it's a meaningful one).

The other issue I see right now is that some departments are effectively redundant due to lack of need (cargo and medbay) so we need to work on those areas to make them more meaningful.

I can't be specific about things because I have no power to actually implement anything short of developing it myself and I'm busy enough with reviewing other peoples PRs to the point where it's laughable to assume I'll manage any significant changes. So when people ask me what I intend to do I don't really understand how to answer that question.

As has always, always been the case, the people who decide the design direction for the game are actually the people who bring ideas to life, and I can't answer on behalf of other random people about what they might choose or choose not to do. I can only give guidance on how I might interpret someone’s change.

OK but, are you taking us for ice cream at wendys or not?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #466706

DrunkenMatey wrote:OK but, are you taking us for ice cream at wendys or not?
wendy's drive through but I'm ordering a single black coffee for myself
somerandomguy wrote:>I can't code big things, the game is still most shaped by the people who actually code it
DO you have something concrete to say or did you just want to add your 5cents
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #466708

my problems with getting important shit merged disappeared 100% after just pinging oranges in irc and asking him what he thinks of the idea

no news is good news most times

this is literally all you have to do to not "waste time" developing, just ask them if it's okay first
Zarniwoop

Post by Zarniwoop » #466754

iamgoofball wrote:my problems with getting important shit merged disappeared 100% after just pinging oranges in irc and asking him what he thinks of the idea

this is literally all you have to do to not "waste time" developing, just ask them if it's okay first
The fact that so much shitcode from you has been merged doesn't inspire confidence. Wonder if it has more to do with you two constantly suckin each other off than any legitimate merit to the code. Besides, you're banned from contributing so according to oranges you need to fuck off anyway.

Nice that we managed to trigger him into giving a real answer for once. Shame he can't do so without insulting folks, sure can't take it for how much he dishes it out.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #466756

oranges is fine, at most he is loosely trying to direct the actions of people like a RTS commander, when everyone else is playing a pure solo FPS game.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #466760

let's break this trashy shitpost down

Zarniwoop wrote:The fact that so much shitcode from you has been merged doesn't inspire confidence.
care to source your criticisms? if you've got code quality suggestions that aren't shitposting about my 4 year old work, I'd love to check it out, if you can point to specific sections of the code.

Zarniwoop wrote:Wonder if it has more to do with you two constantly suckin each other off than any legitimate merit to the code.
im gay but oranges is taken, sorry

Zarniwoop wrote:Besides, you're banned from contributing so according to oranges you need to fuck off anyway.
Where has he said this?
Zarniwoop wrote:Nice that we managed to trigger him into giving a real answer for once.
Are you okay? You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with this.
Zarniwoop wrote:Shame he can't do so without insulting folks, sure can't take it for how much he dishes it out.
Once again, are you okay?
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #466786

oranges wrote:
DrunkenMatey wrote:OK but, are you taking us for ice cream at wendys or not?
wendy's drive through but I'm ordering a single black coffee for myself
somerandomguy wrote:>I can't code big things, the game is still most shaped by the people who actually code it
DO you have something concrete to say or did you just want to add your 5cents
not the only shitpost itt
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #466795

Zarniwoop wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:my problems with getting important shit merged disappeared 100% after just pinging oranges in irc and asking him what he thinks of the idea

The fact that so much shitcode from you has been merged doesn't inspire confidence. Wonder if it has more to do with you two constantly suckin each other off than any legitimate merit to the code. Besides, you're banned from contributing so according to oranges you need to fuck off anyway.

Nice that we managed to trigger him into giving a real answer for once. Shame he can't do so without insulting folks, sure can't take it for how much he dishes it out.
hah like you would know what legitimate merit in code is, you wouldn't know that if it fell off the broadside of a barn and hit you in the face.
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #466807

"doesn't play" isn't a meme, it's an argument used against people who don't play the game yet think the game should be dictated the way they see fit. The same goes for "doesn't code." It's an open source codebase, if you want to see a change then code it yourself.
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #466828