Ghost role issue

A place to record your ideas for the game.
adamkad1
Byond Username: Adamkad1

Ghost role issue

Post by adamkad1 » #466820

Y'all notice how everyone says yes when a ghost role pops up? (except for people who press no, but we dont talk about those)
Well some people are completly clueless and just die early because they had no idea what they were doing.
So my idea is to make some system that requires you to pass a role quiz (with answers easily ripable from wiki, because if you read wiki, you wont die to something like not turning your suit on as ninja) before you can say yes to aforementioned role. Because wasting a ghostrole is so lame, and as rules say, ignorance is no excuse.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Ghost role issue

Post by Shadowflame909 » #466823

instead of making a quiz. We can just have antag positions require game time/job time. Like other high-end jobs.
► Show Spoiler
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #466831

this is genuinely frustrating that people with 1-5 hours gametime get a ghostrole like blob while barely understanding how to swap hands, timegating antags is a good idea please for the love of god
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #466895

Do we timelock any roundstart antags?
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #466941

At least as far as I know yes, I think like traitor is 1 day, ling 7 days, malf 14, something like that.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #466954

I have not played Revenant yet.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Daxxed
Byond Username: Daxxed

Post by Daxxed » #467188

This is very I ded, better luck next time and enjoy the show
adamkad1

Post by adamkad1 » #468378

problem is, timegating doesnt ensure people will know how to do the role, you dont learn how to do role by playing a utterly different role
And if you are literate, reading the wiki is not hard, simply make quiz with answers literally ripped from wiki, that way you know people will have SOME idea how it works
And as i said, reading the wiki gives you basic knowledge needed to not die right off bat
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #468401

You don't deserve the ghost role and you don't deserve a competent player, no matter how frustrating that is sorry.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #468411

only if we timegate by hours as maintainer
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #468414

Cobby wrote:only if we timegate by hours as maintainer
make that GBP and you have my vote
Vaina
Byond Username: Vaina

Post by Vaina » #468431

oranges wrote:You don't deserve the head role and you don't deserve a competent player, no matter how frustrating that is sorry.
By replacing just a single word, it's easy to see how flat your argument falls.

If we timegate players for head roles, we should timegate players for antagonist roles (whether they're mid-round is irrelevant). Both are equally important to the round--like yin and yang. It doesn't guarantee competence, granted, but it sure helps the odds by filtering out the inexperienced.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #468433

Vaina wrote:
oranges wrote:You don't deserve the head role and you don't deserve a competent player, no matter how frustrating that is sorry.
It's easy to see how flat any argument falls when replacing just a single word.
lol
Vaina

Post by Vaina » #468437

somerandomguy wrote:
Vaina wrote:
lol
Discrediting that tactic only works if there's false equivalence--which there isn't. Head roles and antagonist roles are the two primary driving forces of conflict (plus security). If you're not going to contribute anything more than a "lol", go away.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #468451

ghost roles aren't there to be the main driving force of a round, so your point is invalid
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Vaina

Post by Vaina » #468460

MMMiracles wrote:ghost roles aren't there to be the main driving force of a round, so your point is invalid
Your assertion is patently false.

Instead of painting things in one sweeping stroke, try and consider their purpose. Ghost roles are there to supplement adversity the roundstarters have failed to deliver--this is doubly the case if it's extended, wherein they are the main driving force. Be it abductors, shadowlings, or revenants, if they can't spur conflict, their existence is pointless. It's not unfair to ask for small degree of curation regarding them. Presuming you're a wizard summoning demons, or a traitor injecting holoparasites, you'll want some reassurance that what you're getting is good trade. This extends to the round and its players at large--there's nothing more disappointing as security than capturing an abductor because the scientist couldn't suss out the buttons.

This is coming from me, who often passes on ghost roles. The most I can ask for as an observer is a good show, and this couldn't be truer for everyone that hit 'yes'.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #468476

why do you think you're entitled to competent players in a role that isn't a major driving force unless literally no other roundstart threat exists? they exist to give players non-vital positions to be part of the round again, you aren't entitled to a 'good show'.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Vaina

Post by Vaina » #468481

MMMiracles wrote:why do you think you're entitled to competent players in a role that isn't a major driving force unless literally no other roundstart threat exists? they exist to give players non-vital positions to be part of the round again, you aren't entitled to a 'good show'.
I'm entitled to a good holoparasite because I spent eighteen telecrystals on it. I'm entitled to a good laughter/slaughter demon because I spent magic points on it. We're all entitled to a positive and entertaining experience because that's why we're here and what these threads are for.

Why do you hate the tedious hygiene system so much? Stop being entitled to convenience.
Why do you hate chef CQC outside of the kitchen? Stop being entitled to fair play.
Why do you hate this admin's flagrant misuse of power against you? Stop being entitled to justice.

You can derail any game grievance or suggestion by calling the opposition entitled; it doesn't mean anything. It's counterproductive to any reasonable discourse. People are free to voice their discontent and ways to improve the game.

There's nothing wrong with being entitled to enjoyment when there's room for it, and there's nothing but an objective gain to be had by timegating antagonist (ghost) roles.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #468496

thanks for trying to define to me the sweeping purpose of the game, I'll be sure to take your thoughts under advisement, since you are obviously much more knowledgeable about what the ghost roles are for than me.

Ghost roles are mostly to ensure people can get a chance to come back into the round so we can make rounds last longer, not for any other purpose, the fact that some of those roles are direct side event antagonists is a byproduct.

Making new players have less of a chance to return to the round is not something I'm willing to add.
Vaina

Post by Vaina » #468499

oranges wrote:Ghost roles are mostly to ensure people can get a chance to come back into the round so we can make rounds last longer, not for any other purpose, the fact that some of those roles are direct side event antagonists is a byproduct.
It's not 'some' of them. It's all of them. Every mid-round ghost role is designed expressly to antagonize and cause strife, from harmless-enough abductors and sentient diseases to the extremely lethal blob. It might be a byproduct by intent (I can't contest you on that; my knowledge there is nil), but functionally, they're designed and purposed as antagonists--and they should be treated as such.
Making new players have less of a chance to return to the round is not something I'm willing to add.
It's noble of you, and I can understand this line of reasoning.

But consider how wasted the role will be when the player can't even switch hands. What good is a shadowling that doesn't know lightswitches or APCs are a thing? Or a revenant that can't find the morgue?

In my experience, I've learned a lot more about ghostroles by watching them in action than being shoehorned into the position and dying minutes in. You can glean a multitude of tips and tricks by observing players like Imsxz rock the role--and then have a good basis of what to do when your turn comes. (And yes, they always get the ghostrole meme. I'm using them as an example for their robustness.)

Overall, there's been no compelling argument for why restricting special roles from incompetents is a bad thing. There's been even less argument for why incompetents in special roles is a good thing.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #468502

The game lasted for years just fine without any ghost roles at all. So even if the player sucks, it's not like they ruined the round or anything.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #468510

Restricting a role does very little, because people still have to learn the mechanics of a role.

The mechanics of the game overall sure,but people who don't figure out how to switch hands barely last past one round, but then outside of that, there's nothing that can prepare you for these roles other than playing them. Pretending like they'll somehow become competent because they played the normal game for 7 days is unrealistic.
Vaina

Post by Vaina » #468516

oranges wrote:The mechanics of the game overall sure,but people who don't figure out how to switch hands barely last past one round, but then outside of that, there's nothing that can prepare you for these roles other than playing them. Pretending like they'll somehow become competent because they played the normal game for 7 days is unrealistic.
While I would contend by saying it serves as a sort of filter (as it does for head roles and others), you come from a place of soundness. You have solid sense backing your stance. Major credit where credit's due.
Vaina

Post by Vaina » #468520

MisterPerson wrote:The game lasted for years just fine without any ghost roles at all. So even if the player sucks, it's not like they ruined the round or anything.
No round is technically ruined by a bad antag, you're right, but it's certainly nice to see the Lexias and Dantes of /tg/ make things more interesting by posing a challenge. That's just my perception.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #468522

Vaina wrote:What good is a shadowling that doesn't know lightswitches or APCs are a thing? Or a revenant that can't find the morgue?
They're really funny
Vaina wrote:Overall, there's been no compelling argument for why restricting special roles from incompetents is a bad thing. There's been even less argument for why incompetents in special roles is a good thing.
No, see above
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Vaina

Post by Vaina » #468523

Best case yet.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #468547

Vaina wrote:
somerandomguy wrote:
Vaina wrote:
lol
Discrediting that tactic only works if there's false equivalence--which there is. Head roles and antagonist roles are the two primary driving forces of conflict (plus security). If you're not going to contribute anything more than a "lol", go away.
I'm saying that "lol ur argument is bad becuz i can change a word and it falls apart" is really dumb and any (short) argument can have a word changed and change the whole meaning. (Case in point: your quoted posts.) Try re-reading the quote in my "lol" post.

Also heads are not the driving force, security is, and it can be as bad as it likes as long as it doesnt break rule 1. The only head roles that do much in terms of conflict (excluding rev rounds) are the captain and the hos. Why? Because they're part of security.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #468568

Just because you use Monopoly money the game gives you doesn’t mean you’re entitled to it. You aren’t entitled to a good holopara when you can buy other items that do not rely on another player, nor are you entitled to a good demon when you can also buy more offensive spells.

You not factoring that possibility is your fault.
Vaina

Post by Vaina » #468592

somerandomguy wrote:I'm saying that "lol ur argument is bad becuz i can change a word and it falls apart" is really dumb and any (short) argument can have a word changed and change the whole meaning. (Case in point: your quoted posts.) Try re-reading the quote in my "lol" post.
It wasn't the base of my argument nor did it change the meaning of my opponent's (like I indicated and explained previously at length); I used it to illustrate a point. I said as much here:
Vaina wrote:By replacing just a single word, it's easy to see how flat your argument falls.
Misrepresenting the other side reflects poorly on you, as does completely ignoring their points to nitpick a method of framing you think is fallacious (when it isn't). But to reiterate since it wasn't clear: head and antagonist in this context are interchangeable, and that's why it works. Is and isn't are not interchangeable in any context. Do you get the picture?
Also heads are not the driving force, security is, and it can be as bad as it likes as long as it doesnt break rule 1.
Go on.
The only head roles that do much in terms of conflict (excluding rev rounds) are the captain and the hos.
Okay. (You're forgetting the HoP. That makes it half the roles.)
Why? Because they're part of security.
Great! So there's no disagreement. Heads (plus security) are the station-side driving force of conflict--exactly as I specified.
Cobby wrote:You not factoring that possibility is your fault.
Totally. It's my fault for purchasing a costly item put in the game to assist me. How silly of me to expect it to work as intended. You sure got me there, Cobby.
Sarcasm aside, you're confusing entitlement and accountability. You're definitely accountable for the choices you make, but it's not wrong to ask for a better bargain.

Anyway, my time here is done. Props to Oranges, Mister, and PK for keeping it cool.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #468593

read rule 10 buddy
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #468598

The cost of the item is based exactly upon the risk of the item: a good holopara or demon can dominate the playing field and adding other items upon that just tip the scales further.

They are both extremely high risk high reward items and you know that before even purchasing them. If you want a safety net, choose items/spells that don’t have that inherent risk.

Taking the risk away would most certainly mean these items would need to be balanced around more reliably getting good players.
Vaina

Post by Vaina » #468607

Cobby wrote:The cost of the item is based exactly upon the risk of the item: a good holopara or demon can dominate the playing field and adding other items upon that just tip the scales further.

They are both extremely high risk high reward items and you know that before even purchasing them. If you want a safety net, choose items/spells that don’t have that inherent risk.

Taking the risk away would most certainly mean these items would need to be balanced around more reliably getting good players.
Valid viewpoint. +1

Okay I'm done for real this time.
Devily
Byond Username: Redusk

Post by Devily » #468703

I agree with time gate on antagonist/ghost roles.
It isn't much but it can prevent someone completely clueless to fuck things up for you.

The cost of the item being "high risk high reward" tend to be diminished, you're already rolling the die by having someone else joining you, having also a chance for them to not even have played in this server for a minimum of five hours is just idiotic.
There's still a chance to get someone incompetent: how many CEs, HoS, HoPs, CMOs and Captains do we get that are absolutely useless at their job? But at least they know how to swap hands and that if there is a flashing red sign that says "!!TOXIN!!" they should probably invest in some internals.
Asking for ghost roles to have "at least you're not a retard" check is really common sense.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #468705

>head and antag are interchangeable
No, they aren't. The only non-sec head that participates heavily in conflict (once again excluding rev rounds) is the HoP, and that's just because they might give antags access to something important without knowing and have something really valuable to steal. Security does not have restrictions to join at all. If a new player can sign up for byond and join one side of the conflict (security), they can join the other side too (antags).
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #468724

Make being able to spawn into the server timegated by time spent on the server because it isn't fair that incompetent people play as the crew and screw up the round.
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #468770

bad thread, just complain about them in deadchat for entertainment. newbie blunders can be hilarious too, like the ninja that uses his jetpack as internals. only shit i can see worth any gating is primary antagonists that the round is based around (wizard, not really traitor/ling tho) or team antags/team side antags like cult or abductor. even then its not the end of the world if your partner/mates arent pros, get a sliver of patience and teach 'em a thing or two. if they're not accepting of constructive tips then let em die and solo it :^)

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #468772

I'm not convinced they're worth gating either because the only way to learn these roles is to play them.
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #468884

somerandomguy wrote:
Vaina wrote:
lol

Laughed really hard at this
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #468903

imagine banning incompetence
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #468916

iksyp wrote:imagine banning incompetence
We would have no players at all.
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #469028

seriously though watching new players try something then fuck up spectacularly is hilarious and a lot of the time is a lot more fun then powergaming to the max and getting all the valids

in other words: losing is fun!
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #469030

Qbmax32 wrote:seriously though watching new players try something then fuck up spectacularly is hilarious and a lot of the time is a lot more fun then powergaming to the max and getting all the valids

in other words: losing is fun!
always a good moment when a 1 connection player joins into medbay and the whole thing is just a mass grave 15 minutes in
Spoiler:
duckay
Byond Username: Duckay

Post by duckay » #469090

I get mad when incompetence ruins my round wherein I am a tot or I was doing a big project I.E having all the engines on the station but after the round it doesn't really matter.

Ghost roles are a joke anyway.
something
adamkad1

Post by adamkad1 » #474972

So whats wrong with the wiki quiz idea? it could be a gate that literally takes ONLY A FEW MINUTES TO GET PAST! unlike time gating, which as was said, does NOT give you experience to play the role. Simply reading the wiki page on a subject can give you more experience than watching someone, or having to play the normal game for X time. Its not practical experience but the wiki tells you EXACTLY what you need to do to not die in your first minutes
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #475777

adamkad1 wrote:So whats wrong with the wiki quiz idea?
I'm trying to play videogames, not be in school. Quizzes are a terrible godawful wretched elitist scumbag idea.

If you can accept that once in a while a CMO isn't gonna know how cloning works, then you can accept that once in a while a blob is gonna spawn on the bridge and get merced.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #475825

epic

also how the fuck am i supposed to learn how to play a role if i can't play the role without knowing how to play it you retard
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #475838

OP: Someone else got antag and didnt play it as well as I would have so remove that please.

Differing levels of experience is fun because someone who doesn't know what they're doing has the potential to play or fail in different ways that are more entertaining than someone playing in a "Standard" fashion. The point of the game is fun, and the main draw of such an openended roleplaying game such as ss13 is the high degree to which players can dictate the structure of the game, as opposed to simply following the framework of the game itself. We don't have a points system or a win loss record because the point of the game isn't to strive to win, but to enjoy your time playing it. New players failing at antag roles are often entertaining for deadchat, the player themself, and the people who defeat them. I fail to see what we would gain from timegating antags on the basis of competence when navigating gaps in competence is a good site for novel situations to arise.

Also, how is someone time gating something like Blob help anything? Its control scheme and playstyle is pretty different from anything else we have on station. Other ghost roles are like that too, where you need to take them for a spin to really grasp how they work.

Seriously I feel like some of yall want ss13 to be a competitive team game like fucken League or Overwatch but topdown 2D. People whining about things being a "driving force in the round" are the ones who can't find something to do that isn't centered around left clicking the bad guys.
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
adamkad1

Post by adamkad1 » #475876

datorangebottle wrote:epic

also how the fuck am i supposed to learn how to play a role if i can't play the role without knowing how to play it you retard
If you actually were not a retard and read what is said, i kept proposing a quiz with answers being LITERALLY COPYPASTEABLE FROM WIKI (can it even be called quiz then...), therefore you dont really need to know how to play the role, you just need to prove you are literate and applied RTFM (Read the f'ing manual)
I am against time gating and it never was the intent of this suggestion, people only derailed it into it for a reason i cannot fathom. Time gating solves no issue, you dont gain experience in something by doing entirely different things/solely watching others do it.
Simply force people to skim over the wiki, because its not hard. If you are typing in here, that (probally) means you are literate enough to read a wiki page
I also do not have anything against people who play a role bad, as long as they have SOME idea how to play it. People trying but failing are hilarious. People who have no idea what they are doing arent hilarious as often.
And for my own opinion (heresy i know) Losing is !!FUN!!, but only if i atleast knew what i was trying to do
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #475893

This discriminates against the illiterate. Won't you think of their needs, too?
Spoiler:
Ispiria
Byond Username: Ispiria

Post by Ispiria » #476009

SaveVatznick wrote:We don't have a points system or a win loss record because the point of the game isn't to strive to win, but to enjoy your time playing it.
Can we get this quote engraved ingame or embedded on the forums somewhere, or something, to permanently mark the moment Leora perfectly described the underlying purpose of SS13?