Movement Speed

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Movement Speed

Post by Steelpoint » #454394

Bottom post of the previous page:

As noted by oranges in another thread, apparently ingame movement speed is tied to a configuration option, and thus falls under the administrations control.

My proposal here is to suggest tweaking movement speeds and slowing everyone down. I feel the current 'saniac' movement speeds we have are not conductive to a great gameplay experience as gameplay has a very loose feeling to it with no real depth or strategy to combat aside from who can sprint the fastest and outrun the lasers and bullets.

Thank you.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Movement Speed

Post by Cobby » #467635

iamgoofball wrote:
Cobby wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:y'all are lucky im banned from github or i'd be removing tabling and disarm stuns
I won't say anything if OUR PRESIDENT makes a return ;)
this is ban evasion, fuck off
sorry forgot to get on my nonadmin alt so you'd be able to pickup the sarcasm
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #467740

Istoprocent1 wrote:Skilled players are able to come out on top regardless of movement speed.
This is the most retarded fucking post I've ever read. This entire game revolves around stuns, AKA, the thing that makes your movement speed 0. Durrr me skilled player, me no need to move to win game.
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #467792

obscolene wrote:
Istoprocent1 wrote:Skilled players are able to come out on top regardless of movement speed.
This is the most retarded fucking post I've ever read. This entire game revolves around stuns, AKA, the thing that makes your movement speed 0. Durrr me skilled player, me no need to move to win game.
Stuns are getting removed by the coding staff. it's part of the big reworks they've been doing. So no, we're removing stuns.
RobustAndRun
Byond Username: RobustAndRun

Post by RobustAndRun » #467803

This change has seriously balanced combat in favor of security, who currently begin the game with the ranged stun weapons favored by the meta.
Revheads+revs and cultists, who primarily use melee combat and gear have taken a serious nerf from what I've observed. 2slow4me

Also am I the only one who didn't see an issue with running from ranged projectiles? Yeah it's an unrealistic system, but SS13 isn't realistic and ranged stuns are already the unbeatable standard of ss13 combat.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #467823

Revs and cultisfs can easily get number advantages, but in the past whe cultd and revs couldn’t instantly go loud and steamroll they had this strategy called “stealth” which I thought was an interesting way to dodge security attacks.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #467898

Inherently the average Security Officer has the advantage against the average Rev or Cultist, and in a straight up fight I'd weight more the Officer will stand tall instead of the Rev/Cultist.

The critical advantages of these antagonists is in their large numbers and, more importantly, stealth. The Officer is a constant walking red target that is always obvious whereas the Cultist or Rev has no hard tell (at least not until half the station is a cultist).;

In conclusion, suicidally charging a Security Officer should be a dangerous proposition, try employing stealth or mass numbers to gain the advantage.
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #467925

iamgoofball wrote:
obscolene wrote:
Stuns are getting removed by the coding staff. it's part of the big reworks they've been doing. So no, we're removing stuns.
Stuns are getting removed? I haven't heard anything about this, and from my own looking into it it'd be extremely difficult to balance.

As to movement speed: it's better now, but I almost wish there was an option for it to automatically bump up when lag reaches high levels.

Edit: unless you mean in the VERY long term
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #468352

Movement speed changes so far are fine with some exceptions:

Secway and other mountable things

I've seen a few times now where people are taking advantage of these, because the movement speed of those doesn't seem to have been changed, or if it has, well, they have become more powerful in the change because people riding secways are uncatchable, and, given that speed wins, it really is annoying
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #468353

Fatal wrote:Movement speed changes so far are fine with some exceptions:

Secway and other mountable things

I've seen a few times now where people are taking advantage of these, because the movement speed of those doesn't seem to have been changed, or if it has, well, they have become more powerful in the change because people riding secways are uncatchable, and, given that speed wins, it really is annoying
Theres a PR to fix this open right now.
[this space reserved]
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #468355

It makes speed drops a lot more meaningful, which is probably a good thing. If I get exposed to cold or injured bad I'm super slow compared to old speed. It makes getting hurt a bit more dangerous.
--Crocodillo

confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #470149

Despite chanegs, movespeed is ironically still fast enough to hit yourself with thrown stuff while running.
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #470157

confused rock wrote:Despite chanegs, movespeed is ironically still fast enough to hit yourself with thrown stuff while running.
Great, so we've accomplished nothing but make the game feel worse.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #470158

it's really more an issue with tile based games and subsystems, you're not going to solve it easily by fucking about with move speed but then I doubt that was really the point of nervere's change.
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #470161

Malkraz wrote:Great, so we've accomplished nothing but make the game feel worse.
It's considerably more fun with projectiles when people can't outrun them as easily. 1.5 delay is a shame though, should have dropped it to 2.
Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #470165

subject217 wrote:It's considerably more fun with projectiles when people can't outrun them as easily.
You're not doing a 1v1 in a big empty room. Plenty of things you can do to limit a target's ability to avoid.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #470182

I dunno mate, you don't get to choose where you fight someone when you're chasing them. Maybe your dissatisfaction is due to the limited breadth of your gameplay experience? ;)
Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #470187

subject217 wrote:I dunno mate, you don't get to choose where you fight someone when you're chasing them.
No idea whatsoever what this point is supposed to mean, assume you missed mine.
My breadth of experience is why I'm dissatisfied, yes. I saw plenty of strategy and faster moment to moment gameplay in this game's combat as I got experience with it, which has now been hampered a bit by these changes. Not really going to regard the "breadth of gameplay experience" from someone who complains of "outrunning projectiles". Do you just run in straight lines sprayin and prayin?
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #471566

this change sucks ass. shocker.
the default running speed is bearable but the moment you tack on any sort of movement modifier like galoshes then its actually just way too fucking slow, it may be so slow as that you unironically move slower than walking pre-change. the only solution i can see is undo the change or remove the mostly arbitrary slowdowns on things like riot armor(if it even still has it), galoshes, and clown shoes, which turns this into a code change which the headmins have no control over so..... fuck.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #472040

its fine, people who say otherwise are salty roamer assistants who are mad that they cant always be at the location an antag was reported in under 5 seconds
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Hathkar
Byond Username: Hathkar

Post by Hathkar » #472091

I've been pretty happy with the movespeed changes so far. But like Kel said, the slowdown from certain things really brings you to a snail's pace. Probably wouldn't hurt to tweak the values of those slowdowns.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #472116

any magic number slowdowns being replaced with a relative slowdown based on the default config I'd be down to have :)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #516221

90% of the complaints in favor of slower movespeed were addressed with other changes (tasers removed, disablers buffed, dragging nerfed), there is no reason to keep this shitty change around and making the core movement feel worse.
New headmins should take another look at its implementation.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #516222

nice job bumping a thread from january you fucking nincompoop