Reduce the number of maps in rotation

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Reduce the number of maps in rotation

Post by Denton » #468532

Right now, /tg/ has five maps in rotation. Every time a PR touches something code related, every single map has to be modified.
Realistically, this doesn't happen. For example, take the firing range removal or how long it took until every map had a nanomachine lab.

My suggestion is that the number of maps in rotation gets reduced. This reduces the burden on contributors/maintainers and makes reviewing map PRs faster.

For example, open a player vote on one map each for lowpop, midpop and highpop:
- Lowpop: Pubby or ??
- Midpop: Box or Meta
- Highpop: Delta or Donut

That way, we're down to three maps instead of five.
Floiven
Byond Username: Brak7000

Re: Reduce the number of maps in rotation

Post by Floiven » #468579

Having a flex slot for peoples projects etc would be cool too, with slightly more lax set of maintenance rules.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #468595

I dunno, in my (admittedly limited) experience with adding features that require map changes, the amount of work to edit and push changes on five maps isn't that much more than the work to change one map. I had found the whole process of compiling a map rather obtuse, but once you're going through all that effort anyway, doing it four more times isn't the end of the world.

Having multiple maps fill the same role helps break up the monotony. 24/7 Metastation does get old after a while, and it's nice to have a change of scenery occasionally.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #468599

We should probably just periodically review maps to make sure they’re upto date and take them off when they’re constantly being left behind.

There is one benefit though in that features should be made with this in mind, to retain the sandbox aspect.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #468600

As long as Pubby survives the purge, I’d be a happy man.
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #468635

techniically maps don't have to be modified, but we've already seen the tension that causes. (lack of better mapped showers for each map etc)

Something does need to be done, but the last time I raised this issue I did not have a lot of support amongst key people and I don't see myself having the necessary political capital to shove it down peoples throats either.

Not sure what I can do here.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #468638

give gbp on mapping tags