Feedback forums hostility

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Feedback forums hostility

Post by Aranclanos » #46492

This place is hostile! Well, not right now that we have a code freeze, but it's ending soon and I'm fearing that the bickering between parties will start soon. Is it the players to blame when it comes to feedback angry threads and responses or we are just lacking organization? Take a look at the FNR threads, while they are really restricted on who can post, they do have a ruleset for organization, that reduced a lot the forum fights that came out from it.
Should we have a ruleset and guides on how to provide feedback? And if that, how exactly? It's not rare that one of these threads get half of their posts deleted, it's kinda silly.

I'm not a forum admin and I don't moderate this place, so my perspective might be lacking some information, so I'd like to hear what others think.
I accept donations, click here
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Feedback forums hostility

Post by Incomptinence » #46498

This might fit better in policy discussion.

As for the FNR comparison. Who do you think are the involved parties on a forum where most giving feedback play the game you code?

We have a fair few forums administrators so there will be more deletions than there were in the past anyway, most of them have reasonable standards of what is a reasonable post and the outliers like Cheridan will be weeded out by their own conduct.

You think this place is hostile still? There are actual coders with forums administration rights responsible for some of the deleted posts, I would say it is a pretty safe place for you.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #46500

Aranclanos wrote:This place is hostile! Well, not right now that we have a code freeze, but it's ending soon and I'm fearing that the bickering between parties will start soon. Is it the players to blame when it comes to feedback angry threads and responses or we are just lacking organization? Take a look at the FNR threads, while they are really restricted on who can post, they do have a ruleset for organization, that reduced a lot the forum fights that came out from it.
Should we have a ruleset and guides on how to provide feedback? And if that, how exactly? It's not rare that one of these threads get half of their posts deleted, it's kinda silly.

I'm not a forum admin and I don't moderate this place, so my perspective might be lacking some information, so I'd like to hear what others think.
It wasn't the addition of the templates to FNR that stopped "hostile" posting there.
Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #46507

@incomptinence
My post it's not to protect several individuals from the mean posters that want to do angry stuff. It's a call for organization to have a better place for players to input their feedback on the recent changes of the game, or, dangerously getting closing to an idea thread, to discuss old features or entire chunks that make a whole, like a station job.
You're talking about some differences between the administration of this same forum, disagreeing and agreeing with different decisions and actions. Isn't that also a call for organization? So all forum admins and the community can post safely without ending up in fights about how to make the game more enjoyable.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #46520

Hostile FNR posts never disappeared, they just got pushed further and further away until they ended up on some independently ran web board
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #46526

Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #46527

The BYOND forums are utter garbage though, and reading them makes me laugh.

Aran did nothing wrong in that thread.

>it worked before naruto boy
>ok just make sure he doesnt confuse dbz and naruto again or we'll have a problem

my sides
Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #46530

If you want logs of me being mean I have a lot of dota 2 games where I'm really mean because I get angry at competitive videogames, but I don't think that's the point. What I'm trying to find with this thread is the kind of forum organization that you guys would like to see to decrease the amount of hostility.
But also please remember that I'm no forum admin and I might not know enough to make or demand any kind of decision, I'm trying to make a discussion between us to solve what I think that is a problem on these particular forums.
Spacezenegger

Post by Spacezenegger » #46532

You know, coders can be part of the negative feedback problem as well, especially with some of their "NO MY IDEA IS BEST FUCK YOU" mentality. Its not just the player's fault.
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #46534

I like HG's solution of taking derailed/angry pissiness threads (so long as it's by more than two people being fuckheads to each other) and locking them and making them start over.

Whoever first starts with the angry insulting should get the forumban.
Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #46540

I'm not blaming anyone in particular, I'm sure some people are a bit snarkier than others, hell, I can be a huge ass, but I think this can be solved with a different kind of organization on how the forum works, that's the discussion that I'm trying to formulate on this thread (which I'm failing horribly so far)
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #46543

I have been watching this forum and have been placing people who consistently escalate the hostility levels of threads on mod approval required for this entire section, hence (in part) the more recent lull in hostility.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #46577

Yeah. Most hostility come from escalation. Severe escalation. A lot of people (some more so then others) having rather strong views about things, and pretty deliberately rub people up the wrong way when they disagree with them. They the other person ups the ante, and then suddenly it's a shitflinging contest.

Honestly if people were expected to actually back up their posts with evidence more, I (hope) a lot of shit wouldn't happen. As currenly person X will believe something, stating so without evidence (which often exists, but they don't bother showing it) but when person Y says they believe otherwise, X says Y is a faggot and wrong, and Y calls them a fag yadda yadda.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #46582

It doesn't help when those people are talking about opinions.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Perakp
Byond Username: Perakp

Post by Perakp » #46629

We should have an automated feedback collection system between rounds.

Was this round enjoyable, yes, no, maybe
Did you find bugs yes no maybe
Was the way you were horribly murdered fair, unfair, maybe
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #46632

Perakp wrote:We should have an automated feedback collection system between rounds.

Was this round enjoyable, yes, no, maybe
Did you find bugs yes no maybe
Was the way you were horribly murdered fair, unfair, maybe
And when you're done you'll have a lot of data you can't correlate to anything.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #46635

So what should perfect feedback thread look like?
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #46639

Lo6a4evskiy wrote:So what should perfect feedback thread look like?
"X is bad. Let me explain why."
vs
"The thing coder X did is bad. FUCK CODER X"

or, sometimes

"I disagree that change x is bad. Let me explain why."
vs
"Haha you're just a shitty player who knows nothing about this game like I, the master race coder. git gud faglord"

I know this is hyperbole but it gets the point across.

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #46642

Hyperbole? Thats literally a paraphrase of a Paprika post.
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #46645

MrP hits the nail on the head really.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #46650

Well, whenever someone's disagreeing with whatever, there's bound to be a conflict. It's just natural. I don't consider it much of a problem.

Worse is the fact that many people don't give their reasoning, so their feedback is essentially useless, but then that's their own fault for not providing feedback that is useful.

I for one would like to see more response to the feedback given.
adrix89
Byond Username: Adrix89

Post by adrix89 » #46657

That's because there is no conclusions.

As long as there is no system to conclude what change is bad, what is good and what parts of it work and should be kept and what should be done code wise(in the pull requests) it will all boil down to a he said she said mentality.
All controversial changes will be a great shitstorm.

If we had a system to conclude things people would be more constructive to make their points across.
I am not sure what systems would work, whether its forum polls, in-game statistics/polls or neutral judges(not biased towards either coders or users).

I haven't been around when NTStation and the drama was in place, but was the voting for features,changes and ideas bad?
If we had that for feedback and pull request criticism were only for code quality and maintainability I think everyone would have a fair system.
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #46661

I think organization would be nice for both sides. Coders can see exactly what people dislike about a certain feature, players can have a nice template to use, moderators lose a headache.

But if people's opinions are going to get restricted in any way then no.

Template:
Problem with x:
Possible alternative:
Revert y/n:

Bad at stuff like this but you get the idea. Make it nice and pretty.

Edit: A voting system would be nice for major changes like slow space. I would hate to be a coder and work on something just for it to be reverted because no one liked it.
adrix89

Post by adrix89 » #46666

ThatSlyFox wrote: Edit: A voting system would be nice for major changes like slow space. I would hate to be a coder and work on something just for it to be reverted because no one liked it.
For major changes I recommend trial periods with in-game statistics/polls.

Actually what happened with the in-game stats and polls? We used to have them?
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #46765

The question that nobody is asking here is "why is there hostility in the first place?"
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #46774

cedarbridge wrote:The question that nobody is asking here is "why is there hostility in the first place?"
I honestly don't have a clue....

paprika !FQ5As2D/.o 11/29/14 (Sat) 01:08:53 ID: c0bca No.8826
>>8823
>coding
>responsibility to anyone

epic, i bet you think i 'work' for you too
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #46778

Hostility is a 2-way street, Malk.

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #46782

Yeah, and Paprika's is a national speed limit two lane carriage against a quiet backstreet.

He's managed to be more hated than Aran just by the way he acts, that itself is a massive achievement.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #46783

Malkevin wrote:Yeah, and Paprika's is a national speed limit two lane carriage against a quiet backstreet.

He's managed to be more hated than Aran just by the way he acts, that itself is a massive achievement.
There's hostility that doesn't involve pap in any way.

Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #46784

Point to it and I'll explain in simple terms why the hostility happened.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #46785

Because some people are assholes. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Or sometimes people get tired or frustrated at little things and do shit they regret and say mean shit for no reason. It happens.

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #46798

If I was on my computer I would go on a rant about why the behaviour of people like paprika is cancerous and needs to be cut out, yet the behaviour if people like Remi should be praised.

All it will say is if the first response a coder has to a feedback thread is a meme image which is the equilivant of "u mad bro?", then of course people are going to be very hostile.
ThatSlyFox
Byond Username: ThatSlyFox

Post by ThatSlyFox » #46815

Steelpoint wrote:If I was on my computer I would go on a rant about why the behaviour of people like paprika is cancerous and needs to be cut out, yet the behaviour if people like Remi should be praised.

All it will say is if the first response a coder has to a feedback thread is a meme image which is the equilivant of "u mad bro?", then of course people are going to be very hostile.
And that hostility is going to stick in that thread until it closes. Most people consider Pap's attitude the general attitude of all coders, they aren't far off, but still. If pap hasn't been talked to yet about their attitude they should be.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #46859

When it's obvious rational discussion isn't going to change anything due to stubbornness on either side, of course it'll just gonna turn to shitflinging. Nothing is gained either way.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #46866

@Malkevin
This thread isn't to talk about individuals or specific events, I already said this. What I'm trying to bring on topic is the discussion of a different type of organization that these forums could use to avoid the fights, take your time, read the thread, think and analize what I'm asking and formulate your own opinion. I'm not blaming anyone really, I think this can be solved by changing the system.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #46867

MisterPerson wrote:Hostility is a 2-way street, Malk.
not always and often the street is much wider at one end.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #46880

I think the problem from any hostility stems from the person the feedback is being directed to (the coder) ignoring or rejecting any feedback being given. When this occurs the people in the thread usually get annoyed or angry that their feedback is being rejected (onto of the stigma of the feedback forums being ignored).

Using two different threads as examples of good vs wrong.

Ex 1
A month ago I made a thread on the removal of a certain in game item, a lot of people did not like its sudden removal and some discussion was being made on the issue. The first reply from the person who removed it (paprika) was this...
paprika wrote:Image
The thread went down hill from there, no real concessions were made and feedback was outright ignored until the thread was locked.

Ex 2
A week ago a thread was made on the poly acid changes, a lot of people disliked how easy and quickly people died to poly acid. The first reply from the person who made the acid changes (Remi Richards) was a response to a inquiry...
Remi Richards wrote:Nah, looking at the code that isn't a thing, unless it's handled some where stupid
(it's not on /acid code and not on the spray/waterflower code)
In stark comparison to paprika's first response, it clearly shows that remi was listening to people and answering questions and feedback. At that point remi goes on to continue to answer feedback and make changes to how acid works based of these suggestions, and most people are happy with this so far.

That is the core of my argument, threads where people are fair, attentive but above all act like adults and listen to constructive criticism do well. Threads where either party (in this case the coder) is being a child and ignores criticism (to put it lightly) tend to do very poorly and get nowhere.

If your going to make a sudden change to the game, you should be prepared to defend your decision and answer feedback on the forums like a adult in a clam and rational manner. That should be the minimum requirement of this subforum.
adrix89

Post by adrix89 » #46887

@Aranclanos
What are your thoughts on the voting system similar to NTStation?
Initially there would be a forum poll that will give a idea of the reaction from the players, its not a final decision and the coder could ignore it and put it on the server.
Once on the server there will be weekly/monthly poll for all the changes and features, this would be definitive, if the community says revert you revert.
Bigger features may have longer trials but it will eventually end.

Pull request comments will focus on code quality and maintainability and not anything else,it will not be denied based on the gameplay changes.

This I see would be a fair system while still being flexible for coders.
No more drama and antagonism as all parties will be able to affect the outcome.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #46890

adrix89 wrote:@Aranclanos
Initially there would be a forum poll that will give a idea of the reaction from the players, its not a final decision and the coder could ignore it and put it on the server.
Once on the server there will be weekly/monthly poll for all the changes and features, this would be definitive, if the community says revert you revert.

Pull request comments will focus on code quality and maintainability and not anything else,it will not be denied based on the gameplay changes.

This I see would be a fair system while still being flexible for coders.
No more drama and antagonism as all parties will be able to affect the outcome.
I don't foresee this ever happening because it would mean the coderbus sacrificing the "we just write the code and don't answer to the server" position they hold up as a shield currently. It would also mean the players on the server actually have direct control over their playing experience which currently does not exist in any form beyond "you can code anything you want" or "make your own fork lol"
Ergovisavi
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Post by Ergovisavi » #46898

Remember when NTstation did voting

Where is NTstation now again?

Hmmm.

Coders should respond to feedback and do so without dick waving, but MUH VOTING isn't viable.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #46902

Voting had nothing to do with NT dying, not sure why you're bringing that up at all.
phil235
Byond Username: Phil235

Post by phil235 » #46910

adrix89 wrote:@Aranclanos
I'd be all for this but I'm concerned about the amount of time and effort it would take to manage ingame polls for every single feature added. Also, having to revert something months after it was added can be a pain. And there's the concern of people skewing the polls by mutikeying.

We could instead have admins create custom votes ingame (like restart votes but about whatever recently added feature the admin chooses) during lobby time at peek hours a couple days in a row to get a decent idea of the players opinions, and then post the results in the appropriate feedback thread.
I'm a tgstation coding maintainer janitor
fleure
Byond Username: Fleure

Post by fleure » #46917

I think polls could work if certain changes or features had demo time periods on the server. Though I imagine most players would be against this since it interferes with their experience on the "live" servers... the obvious solution to which would be running a third test server as I think we tried a while back. I don't think a lot of players would use it meaning feedback wouldn't accurate, so people will still complain.

Equally, even with polls without a demo, the game would still be controlled by coders, simply because nobody has any obligation to create or change something that polls suggest under our FOSS volunteering way of doing things. You could argue a "free market" model where players will go where they feel their experience is good or under their control, but despite all the bitching and moaning in the past, /tg/ is as popular as everm so I think there are other factors here.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #46934

The problem with voting is apparent when you look at things like the newer UI change.

The old UI was awful compared to this one. When it was added, everyone was bitching at coderbus for changing it and saying it was terrible for a few weeks, and then it died down.

If there had been a poll at that time, it would have been starkly negative, even for something as great of an improvement as it was.
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #46935

It pretty much boils down to 'I don't like change.'

Pretty much every 'awful terrible no good very bad change' could be summed up with it being different from what was the norm before. Space being slow? Makes space something to be afraid of without a suit instead of 'lolmoonwalk' but it was received very poorly because change.
Aranclanos

Post by Aranclanos » #46936

I don't really like polls, while they sound democratic and fair, they really aren't. Mostly they consist on politics, with the huge need of people who made the commit to quickly start doing first impressions about the change in ooc (because most people will vote only hearing one side and then forget about it) so people can vote on his favour, but in general people reject change by default until they can get used of it, and the asks to revert will come before that.
For the game's future, the most popular decision isn't always the best too. A great example is the movement speed or the UI change like inti says
--
Anyways, I don't really want to ramble a lot about polls, I wanted to focus mainly on the kind of content of these forums, with the OP posts and the answers following it. I like the idea of the template, specially for the titles of the thread, who sometimes they just start like an attack, at least that's the feeling from some of them.
Another question, should there be a difference between the feedback of commits that just got merged or didn't and the ones that can be actually played on the servers?

im sorry if the posts are being too big btw, but I really appreciate if you take your time to read them
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #46939

Singulo has long replaced feedback when it comes to code shitposting anyway.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #46999

Thanks pap
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #47001

<3
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.