global game jam 2019

Talk about video games here
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

global game jam 2019

Post by Qustinnus » #468208

any of you gonna join this year?? I'll be doing most of the programming and design for a team of 10~ people this year. gonna be good.

also general game jam discussion thread, any of you join any of the previous years? or participate in another type of jam (ludum dares etc).
Vile Beggar
Byond Username: Vile Beggar

Re: global game jam 2019

Post by Vile Beggar » #468214

all of us can barely type on the keyboard what makes you think we can design a video game
Spoiler:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImage
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #468223

Vile Beggar wrote:all of us can barely type on the keyboard what makes you think we can design a video game
i added mood and hygiene yet my job title is "technical game designer" so the bar isnt that high
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #472543

hi gamers, I've returned from the global game jam, I ended up teaming up with 7 artists, 3 designers and being the only programmer. ended up making a co-op game where 3 players are mice trying to fuck up a house by making a mess, and another player is the cat who wants to keep the house clean and needs to capture the mice. It's made for local co-op so you would actually need people irl to play it (and the controllers for it).

anyways, heres the link!

https://globalgamejam.org/2019/games/tiny-tidiness
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #472553

and heres a vid https://streamable.com/p4pwn not much to show because i dont have other players rn
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #472565

Well, the art's good.
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #472567

lntigracy wrote:Well, the art's good.
yeah except we spent a lot of time trying to fix the scale of the meshes because someone dun goofed the metrics and we ended up with counters with a height of 2 mugs and tables with a height of 8 mugs.

Anyways yeah the artists were awesome but none of them had used github and I had to help implement a lot of their art so the programming was f u n
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #472569

So they've got big mugs in that house, big whoop.
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
srifenbyxp
Byond Username: Srifenbyxp

Post by srifenbyxp » #473145

game jams are shitty and nearly half the staff quits the next day
To be robust is not about combat prowess, it is the state of readiness for the situation at hand.
Tabski
Byond Username: Tabski

Post by Tabski » #473150

I got bored ~5 hours in and spent the rest of the weekend working on other stuff while at the site, but here's the start to my GGJ2019 project: RV VR
https://i.imgur.com/jywmz0Q.gifv
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #473152

>seven artists
>three designers
>didn't make a walking simulator
One job.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #473210

Qustinnus wrote:yeah except we spent a lot of time trying to fix the scale of the meshes because someone dun goofed the metrics and we ended up with counters with a height of 2 mugs and tables with a height of 8 mugs.
I had the same issues when I started in UE4, even more of a mess if the same assets get passed along to different people for rigging and whatnot since different modelling programs use different unit systems.

And it's fucking bullshit because on top of that you also need to make sure you're using the correct settings when exporting to fbx and ALSO when importing in engine so there's at least three different ways you can fuck up the scale.
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #474426

srifenbyxp wrote:game jams are shitty and nearly half the staff quits the next day
you must go to shitty sites or something. My site is staffed by students + teachers so its usually well-managed and I had great fun this year

Tabski wrote:I got bored ~5 hours in and spent the rest of the weekend working on other stuff while at the site, but here's the start to my GGJ2019 project: RV VR
you should join a team its always more motivating when you work with a team

DemonFiren wrote:>seven artists
>three designers
>didn't make a walking simulator
One job.
I really like pushing the idea that me (A technical designer) can create a bigger game than a team of 6 programmers can in a weekend so I tried pushing away from walking simulators as much as possible

Mickyan wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:yeah except we spent a lot of time trying to fix the scale of the meshes because someone dun goofed the metrics and we ended up with counters with a height of 2 mugs and tables with a height of 8 mugs.
I had the same issues when I started in UE4, even more of a mess if the same assets get passed along to different people for rigging and whatnot since different modelling programs use different unit systems.

And it's fucking bullshit because on top of that you also need to make sure you're using the correct settings when exporting to fbx and ALSO when importing in engine so there's at least three different ways you can fuck up the scale.
in this case it was miscommunication, whoever modeled the toilet made a mistake and then some people based their scale off of the toilet so it was like a loop of chaos

ANYWAYS. I'm re-working the entire game for steam multiplayer and I plan to release it for free because exposure is nice. https://streamable.com/pkrt2#
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #475521

Tabski wrote:I got bored ~5 hours in and spent the rest of the weekend working on other stuff while at the site, but here's the start to my GGJ2019 project: RV VR
fucking finish this holy shit please,,,
Limey wrote:its too late.