Tasers/Lasers/Eguns/Stun Batons with power cells

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Tasers/Lasers/Eguns/Stun Batons with power cells

Post by Intigracy » #47182

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Knaive
Byond Username: Knaive

Re: Tasers/Lasers/Eguns/Stun Batons with power cells

Post by Knaive » #47185

I like the idea of more shots per battery upgrade, but what about using the micro-lasers or capacitors RnD makes to upgrade the stun times and laser damage instead?
Boredone
Byond Username: Boredone

Post by Boredone » #47186

It honesty seems potentially overpowered, at least if implemented simply, if you take advantage of R&D, given the best powercell holds around 30k, while the normal power cell holds 1k (High holds 10k)
Plus, how would this interact with the Advanced E-Gun(Recharges itself automatically at the cost of radiating the user) and the Laser Cannon (Huge Laser gun that does a ton of damage)?

As a side note, don't stun batons already use cells to hold more uses?
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #47193

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #47257

Guns should not have power cells because they're focused around recharging at specific points which requires the station to have power. This is something that we should ABSOLUTELY keep as it is, because it's a system that a LOT of the game has been designed around. Energy weapons would just be ballistic weapons with a coat of paint at that point, they need to have disadvantages (you can't reload them unless an area with a recharger is powered, etc)
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #47264

As much as I love having power magazines/cells/clips Paprika might have a point.

Maybe you can get away with giving each Officer a single clip/mag, or just the HoS/Cap.
Intigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by Intigracy » #47268

Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qwert
Byond Username: Ohlos

Post by qwert » #47270

Paradise has power cell replacement, if you replace the powercell in advanced energy gun, in most cases you will recharge faster then your battery runs out, unless you would be spraying lasers for minute nonstop, thats not awesome . On the other side, it adds rigging energy weapons to explode, so you can gift your target beatiful stun revolver, which would brutally tear their limbs off and make them die horribly.
Spacemanspark
Byond Username: Spacemanspark

Post by Spacemanspark » #47273

The reason Paradise and a few other small servers have it and it works well is because of the way taser shots work there. It runs on a pain meter, so to speak (Essentially holodeck pain. If you've played on a baycode server you should know what I'm talking about.). So it takes multiple shots to down someone (Unless they have pain killers in them, in which it's GG no Re for the one shooting taser shots.). Implementing this idea here would probably not be a good idea.
:^)
qwert
Byond Username: Ohlos

Post by qwert » #47368

This seems to be major alien/ wizard/ blob/ nuke ops with powersink/ guys who dare to use emp ever/ nerf, however.
Fragnostic
Byond Username: Fragnostic

Post by Fragnostic » #47424

How about the guns have to be screwdrived, just like the stunprod and stun baton? The cells should only provide more charge, with the guns having some sort of electrical reserve.
This way, guns without upgraded cells can shoot and run out; and the guns with a higher capacity cell will have the same number of shots, but the gun slowly recharges until that battery runs out.
And yes, I feel the only way laser damage/ stun duration could be upgraded is only by microlaser quality.
Number of shots could be determined by the capacitor.
And the rate of fire by the manipulators.

Maybe all of that should only apply to more advanced guns that are energy based. Paprika added that awesome modular receiver, and I made some shitty sprite for a plasma cannon since it is a plasma research station. I wish there were actual plasma weapons. :|
dezzmont
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Post by dezzmont » #47426

Recharging cell makes no sense unless the recharge is really really fast, which as Paprika pointed out would screw with a lot of the game's design, as a cell would effectively be ammo. The main advantage of individual bullets and speed-loaders for security is that you can potentially hold 64 shells or 384 bullets respectively, making them ideal for protracted use compared to the in almost every other way superior E-gun, which can only stun people 10 times.

If anything we should buff projectiles and makes shotgun shells stack.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #47437

As much as I'd like to see prolonged gunfights that involve clip swapping between bursts, it would probably just turn energy guns into resprited ballistics.

I'd rather have the gun construction in science expanded on, as I remember a doc posted awhile back that essentially added a whole new section to science for constructing and testing prototype guns. I'd love to see the lockboxes in science replaced gun research, for both advantage to security and antags.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #47476

Get SMG's if you want magazines. Energy weapons are balanced around having to recharge them. Stun batons already have removable cells, so feel free to put hyper caps in them for 200% more robusting.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #48215

Remember how the first Mass Effect had an interesting gun mechanic, overheating?
Remember how every ME game after the second had you popping the heatsinks so that the gunplay felt just like every other shooting game?

Same thing here.