Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Creeps, "roleplay antags", and murderboning

Post by subject217 » #472172

Bottom post of the previous page:

hi

creep was recently added to the game

creep is an antagonist that has zero defining mechanics however it gets several interesting objectives. however, on tgstation, our "policy" is that solo antagonists can do whatever they want, and team antagonists can do whatever they want unless it hurts their team.
now, creep in implementation is somewhat interesting in that you can see how the objectives would lead to interesting gameplay. however in practice, i've only ever seen it used for two things. either the creep does nothing and falls flat, or they go murderbone.
which begs the question, what purpose does a random side antag with zero interesting mechanics serve if all they're going to do is murderbone? people already regularly complain about murderboning as is, so what does creep accomplish?

"i theoretically get to murderbone more often so it's good" players are banned from this thread
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Re: Creeps, "roleplay antags", and murderboning

Post by Grazyn » #474810

I never said that, i pointed out the contradiction of giving players an objective that is indistinguishable from a behaviour that goes against the rules, it literally calls it being creepy, but at the same time tells players they can't break the rules. In fact, now that the text is changed, it works perfectly because the problem was how the objective was described, not the mechanic itself.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #474821

Grazyn wrote:I never said that, i pointed out the contradiction of giving players an objective that is indistinguishable from a behaviour that goes against the rules, it literally calls it being creepy, but at the same time tells players they can't break the rules.
I've said that there will be more than one case of rule 8 being broken due to Creep. Hell, I think I saw a really minor case of it happen however everyone who saw it must've thought it was funny, including me. The thing is: I just never had or known the meme potential to make a YOU ARE THE RAPIST joke.

If you say it's fixed then that is good however I don't know how you really fix an antag that is supposed to RP as basically a rule 8 breaker or someone who does the most sexual action of all time - holding hands and without consent

fucking 51th post
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #474831

Ayy Lemoh wrote:
Grazyn wrote:I never said that, i pointed out the contradiction of giving players an objective that is indistinguishable from a behaviour that goes against the rules, it literally calls it being creepy, but at the same time tells players they can't break the rules.
If you say it's fixed then that is good however I don't know how you really fix an antag that is supposed to RP as basically a rule 8 breaker or someone who does the most sexual action of all time - holding hands and without consent

fucking 51th post
Because in a game of 2d sprites clicking each other it's not the action itself that matters, it's how the game describes it. Take changeling for example: its main mechanic is to stay on top of a prone body to penetrate it without consent, but it works because at no point the game implies something sexual is happening. Creep was the complete opposite, the objective itself was mild (stay close to someone) but everything in the fluff text implied sexual creepiness. It just needed a little rewrite and now it works.
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #474883

Grazyn wrote:
As far as rules go, it's the same as if it said "You're the Rapist! Your objective is to rape 10 people. Rape is performed by grabbing aggressively and standing over their prone body. Remember, you're not allowed to break server rules though! Oh, and you can ignore everything and just murderbone" (the last part is funny because it's already in the server rules and no other antag fluff text spells it out like that)
grazyn, it's time to stop posting. you have created an embarrassment not only to this thread, but to /tg/ station.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #474884

Grazyn wrote:
Ayy Lemoh wrote:

fucking 51th post
Because in a game of 2d sprites clicking each other it's not the action itself that matters, it's how the game describes it. Take changeling for example: its main mechanic is to stay on top of a prone body to penetrate it without consent, but it works because at no point the game implies something sexual is happening. Creep was the complete opposite, the objective itself was mild (stay close to someone) but everything in the fluff text implied sexual creepiness. It just needed a little rewrite and now it works.
>implying sucking someone dry as changeling isn't somehow sexual
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #474892

I used the rape example to get the point across because there are like 2 things antags aren't allowed to do, one is rape and the other is being sexually creepy.

I think you should all take a step back and look at the original PR before you lash out at me
/datum/brain_trauma/special/creep
name = "Erotomania"
desc = "Patient has a subtype of delusional disorder, becoming irrationally attached to someone."
scan_desc = "severe erotomaniac delusions"
gain_text = "If you see this message, make a github issue report. The trauma initialized wrong."
lose_text = "<span class='warning'>You no longer feel so attached.</span>"
Yep nothing to see here, no sexual undertones at all! No way this could lead to confusion over the rules.
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #474976

Brutally honest here, if that led to a player being confused enough to run around ERPing despite it being very clearly against the rules, they were doomed from the start, creep or not.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #475029

If this won't matter after the flufftext changes can we close this out
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #475030

IkeTG wrote:Brutally honest here, if that led to a player being confused enough to run around ERPing despite it being very clearly against the rules, they were doomed from the start, creep or not.
Nobody did this.
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #475032

subject217 wrote:Nobody did this.
I know, it was a response to Grazyn's hypothetical.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #475133

IkeTG wrote:Brutally honest here, if that led to a player being confused enough to run around ERPing despite it being very clearly against the rules, they were doomed from the start, creep or not.
Erping wasn't the issue here, being creepy was. Rule 4 covers sexual creepiness, which is what this antagonist was all about.

Also, I found it funny that all the following things were removed because of sexual undertones:
headpatting
slapping
wearing dog collars
catpeople
gender surgery
other random stuff I don't recall now that had nothing to do with ERP

But "you're the Erotomaniac!" can't even remotely be considered sexual
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #475344

Sounds like someone was playing Yandere Simulator while designing it.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med