Killing people who spawned recently

Eskjjlj
Byond Username: Eskjjlj

Killing people who spawned recently

Post by Eskjjlj » #475204

The rule on the matter is :
4. Lone antagonists can do whatever they want.
Short of metagaming/comms, bug/exploit abuse, erotic/creepy stuff, OOC in IC or IC in OOC, and spawn-camping arrivals.
The problem is, there are two interpretations :

1) Antags must be careful about not killing people who just spawned without having a valid reason such as defending themselves.
2) The rule is against literally camping arrivals to only kill fresh spawns not just getting a one off kill here and there.

For context, on the one hand I have a note telling me to pay more attention to not kill people who just spawned even though it was just a one off kill and I had a justification. The person I killed found a corpse I had hidden (rather poorly but still) and he was screaming about it on the radio :
2018-08-30 12:27:33 | Bagil | [redacted]
Please be careful of the people you attack near the arrivals shuttle, especially if they had just arrived.
And on the other hand I was spawn killed very recently and the admins online ruled that since the antags weren't literally camping arrivals it was not against the rules.

Once again, the players shouldn't be expected to read the admin's minds on what is the spirit of the rules so it would be really nice to have the community's opinion on this matter and perhaps a headmin ruling.
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Re: Killing people who spawned recently

Post by Anuv » #475209

Add a 30 second spawning immunity or something
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #475236

A single kill with REASON would probably be fine, just killing someone at arrivals fnr is shitty.

Also 'killing people who spawned recently' is a poor title, this rule only applies to arrivals.

It doesn't apply to ashlizards for instance who generally respawn within seconds.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #475262

It's 100% against the rules to spawn kill right out of arrivals. Spawn killing over by cargo on meta for example is probably still against the spirit of this rule. I still see it as somewhat shitty to kill a captain the second he gets to his office but you also have a decent reason to as an antag so I wouldn't punish for it.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #475299

The problem with asking for a defined line on this is that like many other situations it's heavily context-dependent and there isn't really a one-size-fits-all solution
a 30 second spawn immunity would be awful if you happen to be caught in a fight near arrivals just as someone latejoins and suddenly you've got a briefly-immortal new challenger approaching
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #475340

Basically just try your best not to murderbone around arrivals to avoid killing someone who just spawned in. It's hard to provide a catch-all definition because situations can vary. If you're passing the area with some obvious weapon out and a new arrival starts to come for you then you should be allowed to dunk them.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #475402

My interpretation was always that the shuttle is the safe zone, the station is not. I don't know if that actually reflects how it's handled, or even where I first got that from, but that was my understanding.

The only time I've ever really been killed right after stepping off was to a plasma fire (which is pretty indiscriminate), and I've never murderboned to the point where the arrivals shuttle was a factor, so I've never directly been affected by the rule.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #475478

Whoever kills someone on the arrival shuttle, unless that someone ran in, is to be punished for spawncamping. It is completely dishonorable and a dick move.

Whenever I saw antags on or seeming like they target the arrival shuttle, I always threatened them to leave or suffer consequences in the form of a BSA nuking them.

HOWEVER in context of different ghost roles, I never had a situation with that. I'd say it depends on their antag status since charlie station ghost role members aren't really likely to try and kill you compared to ashwalkers.
Eskjjlj
Byond Username: Eskjjlj

Post by Eskjjlj » #475479

I thought it was obvious I was asking about new arrivals since the official stance on ghost roles is that they don't have any rights but sure we can change the title.

It seems the admins who posted on this thread agree that killing people who just got out of the arrival shuttle is agaisnt the rules.

I did my own testing and it takes about 10-15 seconds to go from the arrival shuttle to the main hallway. What if a murderboning antag sees a new crew member walking in this hallway and kills him?
Unless the antag had been listening to tcomms he had no way to know he just spawn killed someone 20 seconds after they joined the game and it would not be reasonable to punish him for it.

Now, what about a new crew member who lingers in arrivals for a few minutes. Here again a murderboner arrives and kills this person not knowing he was a fresh spawn unless he made the effort to read tcomms and remember his name for a few minutes.

What I'm trying to point out is that unless you see someone walk out of the arrival shuttle it's impossible to know whether they are a fresh spawn or if they are just walking in arrivals. It can argued that as an antag you can figure out who is a new crew member by reading tcomms but frankly that's too much effort considering the murderboning antag has other things to focus on and comms can be down for various reasons, not mentionning the chat spam which comes with combat or radio chatter.

How can we ask an antag to be careful to not kill new crewmembers when the only way to know they are new is to see them walk out of the arrival shuttle?
Ayy Lemoh

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #475525

Eskjjlj wrote:How can we ask an antag to be careful to not kill new crewmembers when the only way to know they are new is to see them walk out of the arrival shuttle?
The arrival shuttle is the safe zone. As soon as you leave the arrival shuttle then you are not safe however that doesn't mean someone can wait for you to leave THEN kill you.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #475555

Personally I find it dumb to hide a body in/near spawn so that's on you tbh.

Simply avoid spawn if you plan on culling the crew.

If you're camping outside of the shuttle to kill people who came off the shuttle I'd still be upset tbh.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #475566

Personal opinion, not headmin ruling, etc. etc.

This is heavily context dependent, and even the shuttle is not necessarily safe in all circumstances. (For example, if someone spent 10 minutes afk there and was your objective, I would have very little issue with you butchering them)

There's no way to form a perfect, concrete rule, especially since even "lines in the sand" (like "reaching the main hallway") are wildly variable depending on the map in question.

The spirit of it is thus: Don't kill/convert/otherwise give newly arrived people grief. Generally the rule of thumb I've used is that they should have opportunity to reach their workplace, but obviously this isn't a hard and fast rule (an engineer is never going to "reach their workplace" if Engineering is a crater.
How can we ask an antag to be careful to not kill new crewmembers when the only way to know they are new is to see them walk out of the arrival shuttle?
This is why context matters. It may be that you weren't aware and thus you're not violating this rule, which is understandable. On the other hand if you hang out by the main hallway sniping anyone who steps out of the arrivals wing then I'm going to take your claims to ignorance pretty dimly.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Ayy Lemoh

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #475570

Arianya wrote:This is heavily context dependent, and even the shuttle is not necessarily safe in all circumstances. (For example, if someone spent 10 minutes afk there and was your objective, I would have very little issue with you butchering them)

The spirit of it is thus: Don't kill/convert/otherwise give newly arrived people grief.
1. If it's a roundstart antag target then there is no way he was in the arrival shuttle. Killing him is fine then. If it's a midround antag target and it's someone who went afk in the arrival shuttle then you should take a bit to make sure he's actually afk. If it's someone you have never seen before then try saying "are you awake" or something.

2. yeah, that's right.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #475580

I have one concern about this, let us say you are trying to gun your target down for some reason and he darts into arrivals. You get him in arrivals and suddenly this new joiner assistant starts screaming his head off about how you're a traitor and even a step further trying to take the body from you.

I feel like some leeway to this rule should be given if people are actively getting themselves involved in a conflict, as a new arrival?
► Show Spoiler
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #475586

Shadowflame909 wrote:I have one concern about this, let us say you are trying to gun your target down for some reason and he darts into arrivals. You get him in arrivals and suddenly this new joiner assistant starts screaming his head off about how you're a traitor and even a step further trying to take the body from you.

I feel like some leeway to this rule should be given if people are actively getting themselves involved in a conflict, as a new arrival?
I think it's more a case of "give new joiners a chance to leave spawn before going after them". If they don't take that opportunity to make themselves scarce and instead throw themselves directly into the nearest conflict regardless of context, they're fair game.
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #475601

Context is key when arrivals killings happen. Can't really tell people to leave all arrivals alone considering there's parts of the station there that is useful nearby. If an antagonist is on the run from security or whoever, you happen to arrive, and get killed then it's just poor timing. However if someone is purposefully just sitting around for new arrivals for easy kills...different story.
Freedom
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #475678

Casual reminder that the rules forbid spawncamping, not spawnkilling.
No idea where everyone got the idea that there's a magic invincibility bubble for people fresh off the shuttle who were unlucky enough to stumble into a changeling on the run from sec.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #475685

ADMIN HE BROKE THE NEW LIFE RULE
pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Post by pubby » #475686

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Casual reminder that the rules forbid spawncamping, not spawnkilling.
No idea where everyone got the idea that there's a magic invincibility bubble for people fresh off the shuttle who were unlucky enough to stumble into a changeling on the run from sec.
Dude knows what he's talking about.

Unavoidable deaths are part of the game. If you get hit with a syringe and die before you can react, tough shit. If you get hit by a TTV blast and instantly gibbed, tough shit. So tell me, why should spawn kills be any different? Not all spawn kills, mind you. If the mime chokes the clown out at roundstart, that's okay. But if you do it on the arrival shuttle then your actions are somehow worse?
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #475701

So then what's the problem with spawn camping? It's just multiple spawn killings and unavoidable deaths are part of the game.

I honestly don't see the difference unless you are defining spawnkilling as literally killing IN the spawn regardless of the time spent in spawn (ok /w context) vs. killing people who have actually just spawned (icky). At that point though we're back at the discussion everyone else has been having so I don't see how that clarification was helpful.
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #475710

when in doubt, just don't be a dick - people who LITERALLY JUST WALKED OUT of the shuttle is really cruel to kill them, they wanna play the game if only for a few minutes not seconds before you murder their ass

if they decide to engage you for some dumbass reason then of course they're valid since they wanna die. remember context is key, it's not like they have an immunity bubble it's just trying to have some common decency to another person as you murderbone
Nilons
Byond Username: NIlons

Post by Nilons » #475717

It should be a situation where if an admin thinks youre hanging around spawn killing people too long they shoot you a message asking you to go away from there for a while, that way its not a hard rule and if it becomes a problem nobody can say they werent warned
I play Ostrava of Nanotrasen (good name) and Rolls-The-Bones (Crag Given name god bless)
Signature Memes

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #475732

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Casual reminder that the rules forbid spawncamping, not spawnkilling.
probably ancient DNA memories from when there was no killing in spawn
Ayy Lemoh

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #475743

ideally, you will never die when you first spawn assuming you don't go afk for 20 minutes. Only the most luckiest and quickest of people will be able to do so.

that is why people don't care about spawnkilling at that moment.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #475754

Nilons wrote:It should be a situation where if an admin thinks youre hanging around spawn killing people too long they shoot you a message asking you to go away from there for a while, that way its not a hard rule and if it becomes a problem nobody can say they werent warned
Is this not what happens
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #475755

This makes me think of another Scenario.

Let us say that a Ling is in fact on the run from sec, having nowhere to hide and no maint access. They dart into the front-room of the shuttle.

Afk dave is there and in need of another disguise. The ling does the quick succ.

Another newbie appears in the mid of the lings succ.

What should the ling do in this realistic scenario? Kill them as well? Flee as to not kill so many new arrivals?
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #475757

just dna sting the assistant instead of getting the succ at spawn like a r*tard
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #475766

good point

my argument is destroyed
► Show Spoiler
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #475784

I always was under the impression that you were totally protected (via the rules) if you spawn on the shuttle, even if you are, say, security and there happens to be an obvious traitor on the shuttle. I almost certainly remember reading that you can't kill freshly spawned security, etc on the arrivals shuttle even if they engage you.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #494406

Wasn't there a thing that said players had spawn protection until they reached their department?
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #494411

Trouble with that logic is that once you reach the main halls, there's no easy way for an antag to know that you just arrived. Their only clue is the arrival announcement, which is easy to miss on a good day, and is also affected by tcomms issues.

If we want to give spawn protection until people reach their department, we ought to have new players arrive in drop pods and throw out the arrivals shuttle entirely. Though, that's something to take to the ideas forum.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #494421

So in a reasonably recent round, a miner brought up the ashlizards eggs up to the station. I wasn't aware of that at the time of pushing the button and I woke up in a locker surrounded by people who immediately set upon me.

Does this fall into the same category? Like, while valid it felt really validhunty and kind of a massive dick move just to spawn and immediately be attacked, valid or not under any other circumstances. Especially since I was forced onto the station in the first place, which under normal circumstances I wouldn't normally be allowed to do.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #494428

No because ghost roles are secondary and you're pretty much valid to the crew as an ashy anyways.
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #494521

I once had a wizard kill me freshly spawned off arrivals, via rod or something. Wizard didn't get punished, I was told "it's wizard it doesn't matter lol" by an admin, who only revived me after I had to ask for it. Round was ages and ages ago but I'll never forget it happened.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #494725

Yakumo_Chen wrote:I once had a wizard kill me freshly spawned off arrivals, via rod or something. Wizard didn't get punished, I was told "it's wizard it doesn't matter lol" by an admin, who only revived me after I had to ask for it. Round was ages and ages ago but I'll never forget it happened.
generally if an antag just happens to be going through the arrivals shuttle in a mad dash or just ends up there by circumstance rather than because they were actively camping for new players (VERY common with wizards), that antag wont be punished should a new arrival just happen to be in the way and get injured. i've helped heal some unfortunate players that had that happen to them so it's still worth ahelping if it happens to you.

like your example is literally an instance where if a wizard just happens to be flying through arrivals in rod form and you happen to spawn in his path, it wouldnt be fair to him to ban him, since he had basically no control of where you would end up and he likely had good reason to be rod forming there (like evading sec that chased him to arrivals).
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #495165

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Yakumo_Chen wrote:I once had a wizard kill me freshly spawned off arrivals, via rod or something. Wizard didn't get punished, I was told "it's wizard it doesn't matter lol" by an admin, who only revived me after I had to ask for it. Round was ages and ages ago but I'll never forget it happened.
generally if an antag just happens to be going through the arrivals shuttle in a mad dash or just ends up there by circumstance rather than because they were actively camping for new players (VERY common with wizards), that antag wont be punished should a new arrival just happen to be in the way and get injured. i've helped heal some unfortunate players that had that happen to them so it's still worth ahelping if it happens to you.

like your example is literally an instance where if a wizard just happens to be flying through arrivals in rod form and you happen to spawn in his path, it wouldnt be fair to him to ban him, since he had basically no control of where you would end up and he likely had good reason to be rod forming there (like evading sec that chased him to arrivals).
Wasn't though, he just ran into the shuttle, saw me, and killed me. Didn't see anyone run in after he left.

It might have been ragin Mages or something but the admin was convinced I wasn't going to live long off the shuttle so my life didn't matter despite the blatant shuttle kill
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #495857

At the end of the day this is mostly left to admin discretion. While we do not allow outright spawn camping or killing people who spawned directly off the boat, that doesn't make you immune to all types of antagonistic activity. This is highly context sensitive, and mostly comes down to intent from the person or persons involved in the process.

If you or a group of people were intentionally camping arrivals to convert/kill people that's not allowed. If someone happened to be fresh off the boat and wander into you while you're killing someone and you kill them as well, that is allowed. This will always have some edge cases that require a bit of finesse on the part of the admin, but ultimately adding things like "you can't attack them until they get to their workplace" or "x amount of time after spawning" are going to cause more issues than they solve.