Turn off the Xeno Lavaland Ruin

Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Turn off the Xeno Lavaland Ruin

Post by Shadowflame909 » #476201

Yes, I am an angry angry person. I shall weigh the Pros and Cons of this Ruin. Please present your arguments for why my argument sucks and why this is a good ruin.

Pros of keeping this ruin:

-Cargo gets money.

-Security gets something to kill

-Robotics gets something to kill

- Someone gains Xeno-lite powers via surgical implants

Cons of keeping this ruin:

-Xenos once going, have a high chance of spreading like rabbits in Australia with the only thing to do is calling the shuttle.

-They end rounds and go against our current viewpoint of wanting rounds to be longer

-It sets a precedent that round-enders having multiple ways to spawn is ok. (Ok this argument is bullshit but I just wanted to state this. I mean meatyores, the round-start chance at xenobiology, this ruin, the event that can trigger 20 minutes in)

- It promotes Metagame, Self-Antagging, and goes against the current viewpoint that says we should focus more on ghost-roles and less on cloning. (Because the ghost-roles all bumrush the Xenomorph Ruin to self-antag. Some can get away with it because they're already antags. But it just makes them stronger ones. Others just spawn near the ruin, so they can call "probable cause" and as I've been told by multiple admins before if they don't roll the Xeno. It's not self-antag. So it's not anything punishable.)

-It promotes unneeded conflict and the flaws of escalation. (Eg. If you break into science to destroy the round start Xeno egg because you want a long round. The RD will be able to kill you, or even better toss you into said chamber and gib you.) (Eg 2. As a miner, I tossed the Lavaland Xenos off of the shuttle mid-space trip. When a borg brought them back. The RD got pissed at me and got me gulagged for 1000 points for something along the lines of preventing cargo from earning money, and stopping valuable research.)

So, what do you think. Do I have a good argument. Should I disappear back into the shadow realm and let my salt of Xenos voring me and ruining all of my virologist rounds in 30 minutes. Please let me know. Thanks.
► Show Spoiler
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Turn off the Xeno Lavaland Ruin

Post by wesoda25 » #476203

I think the larger issue with xenoes is xenobio egg (which I think should stay as well).

Honestly its a player problem and said players need to get banned.
[this space reserved]
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #476213

It takes a miner to bring xenos to the station anyway
SaveVatznick
Byond Username: SaveVatznick

Post by SaveVatznick » #476219

Easy solution: Be a miner. Notice Xeno ruin. Say to self : I am not going to fuck with that shit because I know it will ruin the round for everyone. Proceed to not fuck with that shit.

Spoiler : someone else ruins the round for everyone because this is /tg/.
Leora Fleebish is every bad part of me stuffed into a 32x32 sprite.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #476220

To all of yee.

Ash Lizard with RCDs and round-start knowledge which allows them to know that the shuttle is southwest would like a word with you.

Also, any of the smart lavaland Xenos just spam disarm a chumbis until they forcibly launch it to try and escape.

If that doesn't work, they break all the cameras and windows, leaving an unsuspecting loot hunter/miner to seal everyone else's fate.
► Show Spoiler
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #476236

I think restricting it to 1 spawn a round would be a good change. Xeno ruin can spawn twice and prevent ghost roles from spawning due to its high ruin spawning cost.
Daxxed
Byond Username: Daxxed

Post by Daxxed » #476582

Log facehugs in the xeno ruin and ban everone who does it.
Not a single sane miner will plank to xenos even if they are right outside the mining station.
The only way this could legitimately happen, without intended self antag is if you clear the entire queen area and then accidentally walk over the eggs/alien hugger without killing them first.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #476603

Daxxed wrote:accidentally walk over the eggs/alien hugger without killing them first.
Your plan has failed instantly with this argument.

It would be better to remove the facehugger at that point.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #476621

Daxxed wrote:Log facehugs in the xeno ruin and ban everone who does it.
Not a single sane miner will plank to xenos even if they are right outside the mining station.
The only way this could legitimately happen, without intended self antag is if you clear the entire queen area and then accidentally walk over the eggs/alien hugger without killing them first.
Its easy to kill them if you know what you’re doing. Typically if I get infected I’ll just toss myself onto some lava.
[this space reserved]
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #476622

Yakumo_Chen wrote:It takes a miner to bring xenos to the station anyway
people would rather be an xeno than a miner.

I'm tempted to just go back to the random round event only.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #476637

oranges wrote:

Do that.

4 Ways to spawn

20 minute event

I'm wondering how this was just ignored. Aren't Xenos a big round-ending threat?
► Show Spoiler
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #476645

oranges wrote:

I would keep the xeno parts in the meaty ores event but remove the egg sac from the list. That keeps the rare treat but removes its ability to be a round ender.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #476868

oranges wrote:

It still takes a human player to actually transport the xenos up back to the station, whether it be by taxiing a facehugger or the xeno itself. Xenos can't get up to the station by themselves, and if you're infected you go crit from oxyloss before you wake up in the xeno ruin. The only non-blatant "I want xenos on board the station" method is having a miner drag an infected up to the station to """remove the chestburster before it spawns"""

There's almost always a deliberate action involved to get xenos up to the station, unless they're camping the shuttle and it gets sent up from the station. I was a queen once and watched a shuttle land, walked in, and used alien whisper to ask for a taxi ride. Miner obliged.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #477318

Actually just remove the facehuggers from the ruin.
[this space reserved]
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #483783

Ahem. One of the headmins are like "this ruin is bad" and the other is like "this ruin is bad but just remove the eggs so it can be ok" and I don't know what the last one feels about this ruin.

But since its a new headmin term. For the reasons stated above, I would still like this ruin to go-go-go.
► Show Spoiler
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #483789

remove remove remove
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #483790

*Everyone hated xenos, they’ve always been shit, the only reason they’re less shit now is because the event pool has been oversaturated and a newfag like you doesn’t have to deal with them every round spamming disarm to gg no re you while being unstunnableand running faster than your mother to the abortion clinic in an alternate reality where she can see what a fucking disappointment you’re going to be.*

~Paprka, father of disablers
Plapatin
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Plapatin
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by Plapatin » #483896

just take out the eggs and put in some extra xeno-themed loot instead
the argument of "B-BUT MUH RESEARCH" when rds try to justify letting a known to be hostile, excessively deadly antagonist incubate itself in xenobio is the stupidest fucking thing and never, EVER, goes well
wesoda25 wrote:i had a dream that me and some friends were like in this tribal village and we were all doing cocaine around this massive bonfire and I kept seeing all these foreshadowing elements that we were gonna die but i just did more cocaine
OrdoM wrote:Argent, a swan argent over a saltire vert - the vert representing the vomit cast upon the floor by the vomitgoose
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #483919

Honestly, the xeno ruin just takes up too much space and the majority of miners avoid it anyway. When it spawns, you're guaranteed to have maybe one spawner, if you're lucky. I hate it. Please remove.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #483948

Keep it, xenos are rare enough as is.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #483994

Plapatin wrote:just take out the eggs and put in some extra xeno-themed loot instead
the argument of "B-BUT MUH RESEARCH" when rds try to justify letting a known to be hostile, excessively deadly antagonist incubate itself in xenobio is the stupidest fucking thing and never, EVER, goes well
Xeno organs are the main draw of having xenos. making the ruin's mobs be a source of them would be neat, if you dont give them an egg sac.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #484001

Dax Dupont wrote:Keep it, xenos are rare enough as is.
:ugeek: Give me some text to retort this Dax. Because I disagree with the evidence above
► Show Spoiler
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #484461

i havent seen any problems from xenos spawned here, hell the xenobio egg is more common than a miner bringing huggers to station
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #484580

My problem with it isn't spawning xenos, which is rare, but how fucking huge it is and how it takes up space that could be used by more exciting ruins
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #484632

Sloth ruin is worse in that regard tbh
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #484648

Denton wrote:Sloth ruin is worse in that regard tbh
Not all ruins should be powergaming candy prizes.
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #484662

Maybe I play during non shitter hours, but I have only seen 2 rounds where a miner caused xenos this year. Xenos ending the round is rare, compared to all other round ending scenarios. If a miner has the xenos burst, you'll already know there's xenos. This makes it suprisingly easy to kill them, provided the crew believes you.

It really isn't the major problem you make it out to be. I do agree with 4dplanner though, we should if not remove at least make it smaller and weigh less. It's a bit of a boring ruin and I'd rather that space be taken up by ghost roles or something.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #484664

FloranOtten wrote:Maybe I play during non shitter hours, but I have only seen 2 rounds where a miner caused xenos this year. Xenos ending the round is rare, compared to all other round ending scenarios. If a miner has the xenos burst, you'll already know there's xenos. This makes it suprisingly easy to kill them, provided the crew believes you.

It really isn't the major problem you make it out to be. I do agree with 4dplanner though, we should if not remove at least make it smaller and weigh less. It's a bit of a boring ruin and I'd rather that space be taken up by ghost roles or something.
Well thats because you have tanks and guns an a militia ready to fight it off u tgmc marine!1!

But my experience with the ruin is similarly occasionally from a player standpoint, but more so from a ghost standpoint.

Every 6/8 rounds I see this ruin active. Some jerko uses it.

9/10 of those times, it's a ghost role.

This is my main issue with this ruin. Beach Bums, Lavaland Vets, and whatever other lame useless free respawn ghost role exists. They see free antag. So they use this ruin.

Many of you have said that "But isnt self antag against the rules?/Metagame?" It is, but because of certain variables. This form of doing it, can not qualify as either of those. I know, I've tried.

This ruin negatively impacts the rounds of the antags and non antags alike. As they have to worry about being lone prey for a sanic speed instant stun simple mob.

The majority of the time I see xenos as a player mob. It's because of the terrible 8% roundstart spawn chance in xenobio. The RD always enjoys being given a reason to grief with that one.
Last edited by Shadowflame909 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #485465

Dax Dupont wrote:Keep it, xenos are rare enough as is.
Good. Fuck Xenos
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #485696

thread seems very ided tbh. xenos are fun to fight and they have hardcounters available at every stage in the game. i really dont see them that often, a lot of the time they get spotted on spawn and people start arming up.

heres some epic gamer tips for playing against xenos:
-dont go in melee range of queen/prae while it's alive unless you know its tail sweep was used very recently
-play against queen/prae/sent the same way you'd play against a detective revolver (watch for the projectile, carry riot shield, dont run down 1x1 halls EVER)
-wear bio hood
-fire
-xenos suck in space, fly around with a jetpack and ranged weapon and you'll be uncatchable unless one hits a neurotoxin and knows to float out to grab you
-welderbomb via lasergun
-lasers in general
-always shoot them until they die, dont leave them in crit
-mecha in any form
-basic xeno types can be shot with syringe guns, not royal types though
-xeno disarms dont stun if you have an item in your active hand, always strive to hold SOMETHING in your hand when a xeno runs up to you
-xeno disarms dont stun borgs if they have an item selected, keep selecting items while running circles around xenos for lols
-welder+plasma sheets for flash fires
-nightvision and or medhuds are your best friend
-always gut infected dead people, embryo falls out
-riot shields in general are great gotta love RNG
-medhuds will let you see any infected people
-medhuds let you see how damaged xenos are so you know when one is very close to dying
-if you're late in the game, pulse slugs and laser scatter shells
-you can carry lots of ammo in trashbag of holding
-just dont die

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #485700

I would like to restate that

I don't want to remove xenos. I am not butthurt about dying to Xenos. Sometimes you lose at the game. Xenos are a fine clear as day round-ender.

I just don't think ghost roles should be able to turn into one so easily. Like what this ruin offers in free antagonist capabilities so high, and with such a small price.

Since Headmins have shown their disdain for this ruin. I hope that it could be turned off, so no more Ghostroles can abuse it for a pretty dangerous antagonist.
► Show Spoiler
Nervere
Byond Username: Nervere
Github Username: nervere

Post by Nervere » #489435

I'll get someone to make a PR that removes the facehuggers / unbroken eggs from the ruin.
If it doesn't get merged, we'll remove this ruin.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #489436

Hell Yeah.
► Show Spoiler
Daxxed
Byond Username: Daxxed

Post by Daxxed » #489541

Even though I dislike the ruin and wouldn't miss it, the problem is not the ghost roles but the players who play them and the rules rarely being enforced.
I have played many hours as several ghost roles but I have never spawned aliens.
Heck I once died to the aliens by accident and made sure to ahelp.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #489721

>ruin exists
>players arent allowed to interact with it fully
ok?
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #489725

terranaut wrote:>ruin exists
ok?
You're missing the entire issue and pretending there isn't one. The only way the ruin ever gets activated is by a ghost seeing the ruin, spawning as a ghost role that also spawns near the ruin, and then belining for the ruin with the express intent of getting infected and inflicting xenos on the round. Because this has become a chronic problem, there's no reason for the temptation to remain.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #489743

cedarbridge wrote:
terranaut wrote:>ruin exists
ok?
You're missing the entire issue and pretending there isn't one. The only way the ruin ever gets activated is by a ghost seeing the ruin, spawning as a ghost role that also spawns near the ruin, and then belining for the ruin with the express intent of getting infected and inflicting xenos on the round. Because this has become a chronic problem, there's no reason for the temptation to remain.
I raided it yesterday as regular crew on extended, for the first time I'll add. The reason I'd assume miners don't go into it unless they want to have chest-bursters is because it has absolutely no useful loot whatsoever, breaking it in will at the very best cost them time and gain them... some meat for the chef and alien hide?
People who desperately want to self-antag will just grab the free golem shells now and use the loosened escalation policy to run/teleport up and killbait. So in 3 months we'll gather here and golems will get the same flavor text change that ashliggers just got and they'll be doomed to singleplayer/golem friends only exile rather than being allowed some roleplay / round interaction stationside as it currently is.
I'm not "pretending there is no issue", I've honestly never seen a miner chestburst in the mining office or drag a live xeno back in the last 2 months on Terry. Sometimes an RD cries for Xenos for research but the miners tend to not give a fuck because there's nothing in it for them.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #489750

Imo this is an admin issue, not a code issue. If a lavaland ghost role spawns in then immediately digs a straight tunnel to a xeno ruin, just ghostrole ban their ass. Unless they are ash lizards, they have no good excuse to go fight xenos. Even ashlizards using ghost knowledge to find the ruin are breaking the rules.

If this was actually enforced, as I think it should be, people would be wary of doing it. I'm sure some more admin notifications could be added to make this easier to spot as well, maybe along the lines of "<ckey> <ghostrole> infected by xeno larva after x minutes" or something.

Or just remove it, yet again reducing the complexity and depth of \tg\station space station 13.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #489757

skoglol wrote:Imo this is an admin issue, not a code issue. If a lavaland ghost role spawns in then immediately digs a straight tunnel to a xeno ruin, just ghostrole ban their ass. Unless they are ash lizards, they have no good excuse to go fight xenos. Even ashlizards using ghost knowledge to find the ruin are breaking the rules.

If this was actually enforced, as I think it should be, people would be wary of doing it. I'm sure some more admin notifications could be added to make this easier to spot as well, maybe along the lines of "<ckey> <ghostrole> infected by xeno larva after x minutes" or something.

Or just remove it, yet again reducing the complexity and depth of \tg\station space station 13.
1) It is enforced so saying "just enforce the rules dumb admins" is a non-starter. When players abuse something long enough that it becomes a chronic problem, remove the thing they're abusing.
2) Currently its not logged at all and that makes it more annoying to administrate in the first place. When a lavaland vet (a useless zero depth or complexity ghost role) rushes the xeno nest (a xero complexity or depth murderbone antag), there's very little papertrail apart from tracking down some of the more esoteric information in the game's logs.
3) The above scenario happens enough (and happens with other ghost roles like lizards and golems) that eventually its just not productive or deterrent enough to just ban the offender and instead it becomes more worthwhile to remove the offending ruin and find something that actually is complex and interesting to add in its place.
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #489760

cedarbridge wrote:dumb admins
Don't put words in my mouth. It won't get you anywhere.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #489776

skoglol wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:dumb admins
Don't put words in my mouth. It won't get you anywhere.
You claimed that the rule isn't being enforced. You based this on literally nothing. Enlighten me.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #489886

Lavaland blocked from observing when

You can't have any interesting ruins as long as ghost roles can just beeline for it
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #489916

Grazyn wrote:Lavaland blocked from observing when

You can't have any interesting ruins as long as ghost roles can just beeline for it
Not very practical. What happens to a player's ghost when they die on lavaland? It gets blinded until it teleports away? Normal players can't watch miners do miner things or fight megafauna because bad actors used the same general feature to look for ruins. You'd have to snowflake a line for admin permissions because admin vision is literally ghost observe vision + a few overlays.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #489928

cedarbridge wrote:
Grazyn wrote:Lavaland blocked from observing when

Not very practical. What happens to a player's ghost when they die on lavaland? It gets blinded until it teleports away? Normal players can't watch miners do miner things or fight megafauna because bad actors used the same general feature to look for ruins. You'd have to snowflake a line for admin permissions because admin vision is literally ghost observe vision + a few overlays.
Goonstation has ghosts being instantly teleported out of secret areas, but you can still observe people in it. so you can orbit folks and see what they see, but not beyond that.
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #489957

The following PR was just merged: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/43616 as requested by Nervere.

This removes the infectability of the ruin and solves this issue. If you believe the ruin should still be removed after these changes have applied I would advise making an additional thread, but for now this has been resolved.